November 17, 2017, 02:35:00 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Read THIS before Asking for an Artist !  (Read 9817 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Read THIS before Asking for an Artist !
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 02:02:11 PM »
well, in the first one, you're having someone else do the work for you.

in a collaboration, you are actively working with the artist to get it done, and not just giving out commands as it were.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Wolf

• daydreamer
  • woof
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 02:42:05 PM »
ohhh - i get it, thanxyou.

it greatly dissapoints me that there are people who dont value an artist enough not to make projects a collaborative process :(
it was sposed to be 'wofl'...

Offline Crackhead Johny

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »

it greatly dissapoints me that there are people who dont value an artist enough not to make projects a collaborative process :(
I'm not sure if it relates to valuing the artist.

Car analogy!:
If you have fully modded you car and you take it to have it painted by Mike LaVallee, not wanting him to pull your mods and put in different ones doesn't have anything to do with respecting him as an artist (dude paints some awesome flames).

For a collaboration if someone shows up with a completed story for a artist to render, do you think the artist should rewrite it?

If the 2 (or more) of people are just beginning to work from an idea (say a shoe salesman, who fights other shoe salesmen, with shoe related martial arts)  it would seem to be the smart thing to do if you rub as many brains as possible together to make the story and do stupidity checks... at least until you find out that 1 of them just wants to plagiarize old Dukes of Hazard episodes and write themselves into the story.

In the end people will be people and you will find those with no respect for the artist, like you will find those with no respect for the writer.

Offline Wolf

• daydreamer
  • woof
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »
ohhhhhh - i get it now.

i guess i hadn't imagined anything other than involving an artist at an early enough stage that the artist would have some say in the creative process so as to allow it to be written to suit their style.

i guess there's alot of situations where people have a very defined concept that they want to stick to since the whole creation revolves around it...
it was sposed to be 'wofl'...

Offline Boosted Nomena :)

• Symmetry lover
  • Please don't PM me for Free Commission requests
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »

Well I agree Crakhead Johny with this...and anyway if the artist doesn't want to, then it's as simple as ignoring the thread  :D

Maybe these people are also very very new to this, so they don't know the different between them...It took me some time to better understand them...especially [Free commissions]

well, in the first one, you're having someone else do the work for you.

in a collaboration, you are actively working with the artist to get it done, and not just giving out commands as it were.

I think it would be good to have these explanations on the first post of this thread as well
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:18:57 AM by Nomena »
Cheers,
Subscribe to my youtube channel (^_^)
http://www.youtube.com/c/NomenaAlrina

Offline MK

• I read everything on MR
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »
I think we should add in the suggestion to write out the first chapter for unpaid requests because if you can't hook a reader with the first few chapters then you probably can't get an artist.  It also will provide information on how the story will be written: script, storyboards, or novel format as they all have their downsides and how good the writer is.

If you were wondering about the downsides:
Scripts often have too little detail (probably my favorite style to draw from though)
Storyboards constrict the artist (yes they can be changed around but usually the artist is better at page layouts since they know their abilities)
Novel format usually has too much information and gets confusing to storyboard sometimes (I have read some really confusing stories before and the information can be inconsistent)
Stalk me here
Want a commission?  Join the waitlist here
Ask me if you need constructive criticism on art or panel layout.  Practice and constructive criticism are the fastest ways to improve

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2016, 09:49:19 PM »
I would actually be on board with this, however with as many times as I've pointed out the email thing, I doubt some newbies would even realize it was a rule until told. I have no problem helping them out either way, of course. Would we instill a kind of ex post facto thing where only threads that started after the new rule is instated have to follow it?
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2016, 09:55:33 PM »
I have been trying to find a way to deal with it too. But the problem is mods which I have found so far didn't work. Some haven't been updated for long time and some would give crazy errors. Right now I'm trying to a new method hopefully it will work.

Offline Upliftcomix

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2016, 10:13:24 PM »
I think we should add in the suggestion to write out the first chapter for unpaid requests because if you can't hook a reader with the first few chapters then you probably can't get an artist.  It also will provide information on how the story will be written: script, storyboards, or novel format as they all have their downsides and how good the writer is.

If you were wondering about the downsides:
Scripts often have too little detail (probably my favorite style to draw from though)
Storyboards constrict the artist (yes they can be changed around but usually the artist is better at page layouts since they know their abilities)
Novel format usually has too much information and gets confusing to storyboard sometimes (I have read some really confusing stories before and the information can be inconsistent)

A few chapters would be nice- but also a Project overview to include:
-plot synopsis
-genre
-issue length
-char. sheet
-terms and FAQ
-timeline for project

That way people know what they are looking at - additionally, it helps as industry professionals want to see this!
"Step three: Profit!" -Underpants Gnomes

Offline lunar_light3

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 08:24:38 PM »
Hi. Um... I'm an experienced writer, but I've always wanted to do comics. Unfortunately my drawings suck, and I'm broke. So... I want to do a collaboration where whatever profit is made is split. So, any pointers?

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »
Hi. Um... I'm an experienced writer, but I've always wanted to do comics. Unfortunately my drawings suck, and I'm broke. So... I want to do a collaboration where whatever profit is made is split. So, any pointers?

Simple. Be around and get to know good artists. Talk to then in forum and also review their artwork. Make connections. Once they get to know you it won't be hard to find someone who willing to team up with you. )

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 09:15:21 PM »
I think the best way to do a collaboration is by showing your stories.

Offline lunar_light3

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 09:50:49 PM »
Okay, so get to know people and show my stories. Thanks for the advise.

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
Yes. That sums it up pretty much. Post few of your stories and let others to see your writing skills. Also same time get to know others.  :)

Offline lunar_light3

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 10:08:49 PM »
Okay. Should I post them in this forum and ask for artists, or should I post them in a different forum?