April 16, 2024, 12:03:25 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Power for my manga characters?  (Read 11587 times)

Offline codenametukaioo7

• Manga and Anime freak
  • Do what ever, but don't lose your cool.
    • View Profile
Power for my manga characters?
« on: September 18, 2013, 11:23:15 AM »
So I used the following power as power for each character.Like in Naruto each ninja has there own power.
1.Fire
2.Ice
3.Thunder or lighting
4.Light
5.Speed
6.Darkness

Any suggestion what other power should I give to other characters.
Note :They are mutants so something like puppet won't do.

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
Re: Power for my manga characters?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »
Depends on where these powers come from. Did you just randomly assign powers without any explanation? Or do you have a source for them?
( Also, ninjas plus elemental powers? People will directly link that to Naruto )

Offline Greymore

• dreaming of a world of color...
  • grey is truly the brightest color.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 12:09:48 PM »
hm.. i think it would depend on what type of character he/she is, like if he/she is short tempered maybe that persons element would be fire. If calm and mellow, Water

when dealing with assigning elemental abilities to characters always relate character and element through shared Characteristics 

hope it helps :)

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
whenever you add "light" and "darkness" their no longer specific attributes to the person but falls into a spiritual or magical attribute. the power of "light" and "darkness" is vague. which is why you n ever see them in traditional elements.

EDIT: if they are mutants. i sugggest you divide it by two or three groups. physical, mental, elemental.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:55:53 PM by Lorenx1 »
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »
Tukaioo7? You've REALLY got to put a little more time into this here. I'm sorry pal, but the elemental-themed super-power set has been done to death, and is all too easy of a cliche to fall into for young writers looking to break into the shounen-inspired genre. Remember that even the ninjas in Naruto came up with some pretty obscure power-themes, with bugs, dogs, loads and loads of weapons, even friggin' PUPPETS.

I'm not saying that the elements gimmick can't be done well. Heck, look at the Avatar cartoon for that, but just look at all of the examples on this list:
 http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalPowers

or here:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StockSuperpowers

If you really want to wow an audience, look for the usefulness of something obscure. Like... glue. You could have a whole series based around a guy with Glue power. Just give a bit of brainstorming a try. The forum will always be here if you want some help.

Offline codenametukaioo7

• Manga and Anime freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 05:55:47 AM »
Looks like I need to give some more information.Okay, In my manga it's start like this.Some aliens attacked at reverse earth* to invade and they started turning people into mutants ( lets call it mutant mode ) so that those mutants can destroy the military.So some scientist come up with a formula with which they can turn mutants to human again (let's call it human mode). And that is by giving them power. So they give each of them different power according to they can handle it or not.Those people turn from mutant mode to human mode**. However those scientist know they need to stop those aliens so they give some special power to three people to stop the Aliens.That powers are Light/Solar,Speed and Darkness given to Xavier,Dexter and Jared.Other than that they receive there katana and inside that katana they sealed three animal from Animlea***.Three of them managed to defeat them but they promise that they will return.Now my story starts.Adams is the son of Xavier ans successor of Solar power****. Santos is a scientist who want to these this people to return to mutant mode so that he can become the king of that world.Santos killed Xavier because he is on Santos way.Now the story is about how Adams get revenge of Santos control the power of that Animal katana and select a successor******.

*Reverse earth is something like mirror world.So they story first take in mirror world then later in our world i.e. original earth.

**In human mode they have there power and they look just like human.However when there anger take over them they turn into mutant mode with there power.

***Animlea is another planet in which animal live like human.They also talk wear cloths etc.And when power of mutants is combined with a power of an animal from Animlea those mutant become over powered and immortal but very few can handle that power.Those who can't handle that power turned into mutant mode i.e. complete destruction.

****Why Successor?Because Aliens told they will come back with more power.So there sons/daughters need to success them and become more powerful than there dad/mom.

******If the person is bachelor then he can choose somebody like friend/brother or sister/student to success that power.

Note : After the invasion or attack of aliens.It seems like that son or daughter of mutants is also a mutant so as the time pass it become a mutant community where mutant and human live together.Like Naturo is a ninja community.

So basically I have some more side character and need power suggestion for them.

look at all of the examples on this list:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalPowers

or here:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StockSuperpowers

Thanks for the links.

Offline Khaliisto

• The pen is mightier than the sword, but not an axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 07:05:47 AM »
Maybe you could make it where a person's defining personality trait or strongest emotion when they were originally human has something to do with what powers they wind up with, as well as what triggers them to go mutant. So an extremely intense or angry person would morph when angry, and a person who was originally solemn or even depressed can morph under intense pain or sadness.

As far as the initial powers you listed, they sound more like elements to me. I feel like they could each have one or more affinity for different elements,.

On another level, have you thought about what offspring of these post-mutant human mode people will be like?
Would they be similar to their parents, or would they be super strong humans? They could even have a mix of their parents powers.
"Bread is the paper of the restaurant industry. You write your sandwich on it."-Dwight K. Schrute, Assistant to the Regional Manager.

Offline codenametukaioo7

• Manga and Anime freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 06:35:34 AM »
Maybe you could make it where a person's defining personality trait or strongest emotion when they were originally human has something to do with what powers they wind up with, as well as what triggers them to go mutant. So an extremely intense or angry person would morph when angry, and a person who was originally solemn or even depressed can morph under intense pain or sadness.

As far as the initial powers you listed, they sound more like elements to me. I feel like they could each have one or more affinity for different elements,.

On another level, have you thought about what offspring of these post-mutant human mode people will be like?
Would they be similar to their parents, or would they be super strong humans? They could even have a mix of their parents powers.

Thanks for the tip and sorry for the late respond.

Offline Chaos297

• The Crossest Kitsune in Scotland
  • Aiming for a series in Weekly Shonen Jump
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
Sounds interesting but you need to fix your sentences a bit.

The elemental powers do sound interesting but there are more elements than the worlds primary elements.  If you think about it you could cook up all sorts of skills derived from all kinds of elements for example.

Gravity Elemental's could control gravity and mess with gravitation particles.

Lightning or electricity elemental's could mess with ion particles and the like in the atmosphere and create skills like the Ion Beam or the Ion Blade.  "Similar to the Chidori since lightning is made up of ions but different in the form and capabilities of the Ions"  An Ion Blade is technically a blade made of compacted ions that have been fired from a particle accelerator.

Also there are such things as hybrid elemental's such as Magma and Inferno Elemental's who are descended from a fire elemental and an elemental of a different type.

Magma Elemental's are half fire elemental, half earth elemental so naturally they can generate and control magma and sometimes other volcanic phenomena.

Inferno Elemental's are half Fire Elemental and half Wind Elemental and are capable of creating and controlling flames of many verities in environments where they'd normally not be able to be created and in environments they are native to are capable of temperatures hot enough to burn a human body into a black stain on the ground, or burn a building into dust with the shear heat as well as do it with extreme precision and control in ways not normally done.

And there are plenty of others that aren't normally thought of such as the ability to mess with gases and liquids of different types.

Nitrogen elemental's could produce Nitrogen on a whim in any form and use it freely allowing them to take full advantage of it's attributes.

Hydrogen or oxygen elemental's could mess with the air's content or with the content of water allowing them to do all sorts of things especially in terms of collaboration techniques and tactics.

These are just some rather basic ones I could throw together in a pinch and there are lots of them out there.
Also mearly having a few elemental powers isn't very much for a military program of any country of any species on any planet so you might want to think up a few things like extreme strength, extreme speed or regenerative powers and the like to supplement their elemental powers.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 12:50:50 AM »
You can't just create any ability.

first off, create a system that works with it and see the endless possibilities with this system that you created.

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 05:21:20 AM »
Wow, those are some really good ideas Chaos!

Offline Chaos297

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »
Wow, those are some really good ideas Chaos!

You think those are good you should see the reference material I sent him in a PM.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »
elemental are good, but i find it too limiting.

Just by your explanation of controlling "magma" and "inferno" elements, show how much you need to care about elements in general to create something.

Abilities don't have to be based on elements to be good. look at one piece. look at bleach.

Offline Chaos297

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 07:41:06 PM »
Good point abilities can be based on anything within reason but its best to stick with the stuff you like and have some level of care for since without at least that at best it'll turn out like Naruto's attempted clones.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
clining isn't based of elements but rather based off of nija art. same with shino's shadow ability, and walking on water ability.