November 17, 2018, 02:11:33 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: "Charmed" Learning to write a Script  (Read 367 times)

Offline Emocookie41

• View Profile
"Charmed" Learning to write a Script
« on: September 16, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »
So... just so you guys know before hand, usually I make Visual Novel games not Manga which you would think wouldn't be too different but it unfortunately is. I was working on this idea for a VN called "Charmed" and realized that part of the reason why I have been having trouble formatting it as a VN is because it has a more of a Manga feel to it. Originally it was to be a dating sim with battle elements...

Here is the general idea (sorry if it is a bit long):

Since the beginning of time there have always been magical beings of great power. For thousands of years they ruled in the shadow, interfering with the lives of the mortals that they found so interesting.

Demons… Gifted with great power they wreaked havoc across the land for many ages. They cast fear into the hearts of mortals and yet many were drawn to the demons power…

These mortals offered up themselves, to work as slaves, to any demon that would take them… The reason for this attraction was the promise of power that could change the course of their destiny. Some wanted to save the ones they loved, some wanted revenge, others… others only had greed with in their hearts…

It was learned that a demon that took a human under their care would eventually grow stronger beyond comprehension. The more humans they took as slaves the more powerful they became…

As many know… Power corrupts… Many demons used their newfound power to wage wars against other demonic houses. For many centuries the demon world and the mortal world were tossed into the chaotic red sea of war until finally one demon and her pawn sought to end it…

Her name was Silvia Languish and with her pawn, Castiel, she sealed the powers of the contract into a silver bracelet. This bracelet held inside it the power to contract with humans and for every contract a new charm would attach itself to the bracelet.

And so… the wars ended and the power was held in check. From then on every demon was only allowed to keep a small amount of “Charms” and only able to use one at the time. Once a demon has reached the day of their “Coming” they are sent out into the mortal realm to find their “Charms” and to become recognized as a fully-fledged demon…

Catherine Languish is the great grand daughter of Silvia. It is her 16th birthday and has finally been permitted to go to the mortal realm and seek her own Charms. In order to do so she transfers into a mortal school and lives in the dorms.
There are some powerful demons who are looking to destroy much of the human race, only keeping a few alive in hidden areas, thus enabling them to be the only ones with access to more pawns. They decided to start with the city that Catherine has happened to arrive in because of its large population. They are going through and finding worthy humans to breed hybrid pawns before they destroy all the ones they find useless. As the descendent of the demon that stopped the first great demon wars Catherine takes it onto your shoulders to stop these guys from creating a second war!

Um... It is a bit unorganized written this way lol but I have all the characters written up, general back ground, and idea on who will end up with who ect. Currently transferring it from Game Document format to Story outline... What I am curious about is writing the script for an artist to follow. I have seen a few examples but :p still feeling like the newbie I am. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: "Charmed" Learning to write a Script
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:37:21 AM »
It sounds like an interesting story.

As for format i've discovered you can really just go with whatever you want. Honest. Unless your targeting some organisation of sorts that accepts scripts and needs a specific format (in which case you would know how to write it) you can really go with what you feel. It really only needs to get the point across to the artist. For these kinds of things all you want to do is communicate with the artist in getting your thing read. Even if you're being informal and talking to the narrator.

If you feel uncomfortable with doing what you like you can always follow a standardized script format. It's a bit clunky though. Go to dailyscripts.com and download a script that piques your interest. Read and see how it's done. It's not that complicated to pick up on but these days, i really find it a clunky kind of script. Unless i'm writing professionally or submitting to some organisation that needs a standard script like that i'll stay away from it.

Offline LazyDude

• Foreshadowing Master
  • I like to think of my self as a Boss of stories
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »
Seems so much like my favorite american shows that have to do with demons. Supernatural (ongoing) and Charmed (ended and it was kinda like an soap opera but with demons and witches and stuff. Still liked it cause of the character "Cole". But still a soap opera so it got a bit "eh... no... stop overreacting...." at times)

But any way this could make a great story and game if pulled off correctly with like characters and stuff.

As for format you could do something like what Lorenx1 is doing like putting action and then dialogue.

Example: http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,8424.15.html

Or you could copy my style which is just straight dialogue and action together. Example is in my siggy. Those seems like the easiest for an artist to follow to me. But I could be wrong since I am not an artist.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:31:39 PM by LazyDude »

Offline Emocookie41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 07:12:57 AM »
Thank you so much for the examples! They really help a lot ^^