April 18, 2024, 04:45:53 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Write before outline, or outline before writing?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Crazycone

• View Profile
Write before outline, or outline before writing?
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »
Soooo....
I'm extremely new at creating manga, and I am learning "How to draw manga-style characters" as I draw a storyboard because I CANT WAIT ANY LONGEEER! The ideas are just fleshing out by themselves in my head, its like a  :ohmy: BOOOM! You get me?

Anyways, I am stuck at this decision: Should I completely outline my characters before I start drawing/writing the storyboard (idk if thats the name for manga outlines), or should I develop them as I write/draw?
THE Crazycone... JC

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
Re: Write before outline, or outline before writing?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »
for me? originally, i had to slow down. every idea sounded "great" but when i add it on top of another big idea. it wasn't a well thought out story.

Keep "ideas" on the side, and set up a very basic plot. then implement one idea at a time and see if it all "fits". And yes, you should definitely outline your characters. maybe not on paper, but in your mind.

personally, i never needed to write my characters because i already visualized them. the only time i do is to help my readers visualize them. You must have some future plans for your characters or else it'll all be done very rushed.

also a "slow" story is always the best ones. do you see hinata confessing to naruto on the first arc? no, she does so years later.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Crazycone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
I couldn't think of a way to include the  :sheep: emoticon, so..... HAVE A SHEEP!  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: Thanks for the help, now I can finally start writing :D
THE Crazycone... JC

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »
Outlines are good for documenting the few ideas you already have. I usually include things like snatches of dialogue and anything I naturally come up with, nothing more. Then I start writing. Everything changes. Don't worry. Characters drive the plot and you should let the characters go where they want to go, regardless of what you want them to do. After writing a first draft, I organize the mess that I wrote. I might write an outline. I might print out what I have and make revision (particularly dialogue, scene transitions, things I need to foreshadow, pacing, etc) marks with a pen. I might scrap the rest of the plot having gotten a clearer idea of my characters. I go back and forth between steps until I have something I like. Then I show other people.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »
I usually develop as i go, and if i get upon something better, i can always edit like crazy. It's worked pretty well so far i think

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Psykofreac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »
I think your initial action should just be letting your mind go wild and develop the story as you like. You can write it or even just imagine it in your head, though I think the latter is more natural. Sure you can't be certain if everything that happens is accurately realistic but this story is all yours at this point as long as you get the feel of your characters and what you're trying to express. It's what I did and I believe it's a pretty good way.

After that you can think of how to make aspects of it better or fixing some things to make it more scientifically/economically accurate. Then planning, I suggest just thinking up key points, like a check list of what needs to happen through an arc then once you're ready, write away.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 01:55:39 PM »
Yeah it's important to go when the goings good. Mistakes will be made, so it's better to get it all out asap. I'm wary about outlining characters who seem exciting rather than writing about them because I may end up falling into a lull of simply developing a character rather than actually doing anything.