April 18, 2024, 01:15:13 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Kesashi's Gallery  (Read 141661 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Kesashi's Gallery
« Reply #510 on: July 15, 2020, 03:43:41 PM »
I must admit I thought that too haha
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 18, 2020, 04:49:33 AM »
My only question here is that the two seem a bit contradictory? If Mana can be quantified volumetrically (as seen with the dress), wouldn't it make more sense to have more contract with the ground by having a flat soled boot? You'd get a lot more surface area that way (not to mention it would be more practical at the same time). The rules should at least be self consistent, otherwise this is just a blatant excuse to draw women in high heels  :hmm:

Great observation. This is all tricky since in some places the effect is obvious and in others the effect is arbitrary like the relationship between color and elements. And each function is designed to promote strategy since we'll get to customize these features in the game in the future. So a dress is not superior to pants, it just offers different tools. Between shoes it is arbitrary which one allows you to draw mana faster and which one protects you from being knocked off your feet. I feel like an argument could be made to swap each relationship.

And Heels would not be superior to boots or armored shoes, but a large shoe would offer a similar effect you're describing, it would be a shoe that would make you immovable in a sense. I would say I big oversight I'm noticing here is that the functionally effective clothing probably wouldn't be good looking at all. You probably would see more shoes like that for that reason assuming culturally the designer would put function over fashion.

But between dresses and heels we're talking about two different speed metrics. One is the speed of movement, the other is the speed of mana collection, and the third which is not mentioned here is the speed of activating abilities (which is improved by wearing pants). Which altogether deals with the "flow of Mana". Maintaining a proper circulation is important. Having a dress is likened to having all the blood rush to your legs, so wearing pants improves the circulation because abilities are in a sense the result of the flow of mana.

----------

At least that's the theory I'm working with. I wanted to spend some more time before I posted this but this is the general rundown of the Mana based on their colors. An important feature here is any color can be achieved by mixing primary colors RYB since some colors do not appear naturally like indigo or the complementary color sets. White and Colorless being the exception. Technically there are endless combinations, some obvious ones are not even listed here, like yellow-orange (which is why there are 11 colors instead of 12) but theoretically that would be some kind of super-defensive mana and it's not listed because there is no character who uses it.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

There is an imbalance here, you may notice, white mana and colorless mana seem objectively overpowered. This is handled by their density and rarity in the world. The ability to throw the whole world into the sun is technically something White Mana is capable of, but would not be possible due to there simply not being enough white mana available to perform such an ability. Conversely setting the whole world on fire (for a similar result) would be possible due to the density and abundance of red mana.

Recently I've been working on the rendering styles in the game. Previously it was a more cold and stale approach with harsh cel shading. Here we have a more saturated, high contrast approach with stronger glow effects and also a simultaneous use of natural shading and cel shading. Below is an older picture with the previous rendering styles. It's a difficult choice, but it will all depend on the art direction in the end. Which means it's my job to pretend like I know the answer.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 19, 2020, 11:00:57 PM »
Well you're concept for how this thing works is definitely deeper than my understanding of it, I'll give you that. But there's got to be something said for functional clothing. Various levels of mana this or that is all well and good, but the moment your stilleto heel snaps off in a sword fight, that all goes down the drain.

Basically: Style is important, but don't let function follow form if you don't have to. You wouldn't be the first person lambasted for questionable fashion choices for female characters, even if there is a detailed reasoning behind why said female characters are dressed as they are (See: Quiet from Metal Gear 5).

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 26, 2020, 11:58:40 AM »
Well you're concept for how this thing works is definitely deeper than my understanding of it, I'll give you that. But there's got to be something said for functional clothing. Various levels of mana this or that is all well and good, but the moment your stilleto heel snaps off in a sword fight, that all goes down the drain.

Basically: Style is important, but don't let function follow form if you don't have to. You wouldn't be the first person lambasted for questionable fashion choices for female characters, even if there is a detailed reasoning behind why said female characters are dressed as they are (See: Quiet from Metal Gear 5).

In Blade Regalia there is the idea that most of these people did not get to choose the clothes that they're wearing. Some of these clothes weren't actually meant for combat or war (they use them like that now because they give you super powers anyway). This is true for a couple of dresses that we see. Most of these were artifacts that were recovered. And there is an appreciation for functional clothing more when the characters are allowed to create their own Regalia.

When the protagonist gets the opportunity to design her own clothes she chooses to make pants as opposed to originally wearing a dress because she doesn't like dresses. This also adds to the culture, our protagonist spends years learning how to fight in high heels in anticipation for when she gets the opportunity to wear a Regalia. So characters do make it apparent that impractical clothing is not ideal. But there is a reason why they wear it and usually it's not specifically to be attractive to a man and that's what I like about it.

Funny story I imagined there would be like a form of illegal chicken fighting where people would emulate Regalia combat by having two women wear normal (powerless) dresses and fight and you would have things like stepping on the dress to ruin their balance, pulling hair or, like you mentioned, breaking a heel.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2020, 12:50:05 AM »
great justifications I think, and good to see some more details about the mechanics, and nice game graphics!
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 13, 2020, 02:57:50 PM »
I'm getting very close to a final art style for Izabel and I'd like to discuss it. The whole project has an interesting relationship with the art world as a whole, so this is leading me towards a more traditional approach. Originally I started with an anime approach and there is a good reason for that. And that has to do with what Izabel is as a whole.

The image below is the latest drawing of Izabel and these will be the facial features I stick to for her from now on. This image comes from collectible items in the game which are pages from Mother's Sketchbook. Izabel's mother is a wealthy painter, and she actually feels compelled to draw things that occur in the mansion. She essentially has no choice but to make art, and that's a weakness you'll get to exploit eventually. With each one of these pages you'll also get to read a journal entry where her mother talks about the subject in the drawing.

I'm sure many artists feel the same way. They have to draw things they sometimes wish they didn't. I think it would be awesome for me if I loved to draw the things people love to see. Like if I drew more fan art or more sexy women, instead I draw things like cannibalism and people without eyes, even as a child my art was hardcore and I couldn't say "hey granny put this on the fridge", but sometimes I wish I could've.

Izabel

Izabel is based on my natural tendencies when making art. You've probably noticed at this point that I draw a lot of conservative-looking women. There's actually a very specific woman with very specific features I've been trying to draw. As far as I know this woman doesn't exist. But if she did exist, I'm not saying I don't have any ideas of who she might be, I do have a few individuals in mind, I'm not that crazy. It's also possible that she represents my interpretation of ultimate beauty which could be my subconscious idolizing positive relationships in the past with people who have similar features. Izabel is meant to be that woman or at least she looks like her.

What I mean to say is this is the woman my subconscious wants to draw. If I were given the opportunity to draw anything with no real guidelines, I would naturally end up producing an image of this person. Again, I couldn't say exactly why. I could just be weirdo, or there could be things going on in my subconscious that would be obvious to any therapist.

This image above is from 2016 and it's possibly the first time I attempted to draw this imaginary person. And this got me interested in drawing people who don't exist as if they do. You may notice some similarities in their features. The wavy hair, the smooth face. You'll probably see it more in an earlier drawing of Izabel. This next image below is sort of like the mission statement of the project which makes it extremely important to me. The emotions evoked in this image should be echoed throughout the entire game.

I'm not sure exactly at what point black hands came into the design. I found them to be a very effective way of displaying emotions. Months after I started this I learned those emotions are related to Social Anxiety Disorder. In many ways I feel like this could be a meme template that says "this is what social anxiety feels like". As a child I didn't know that I had Social Anxiety Disorder, and now that my mother is a Special Ed Teacher, she can pretty easily identify some of the core signs. Because I didn't know about it, I had to live my life as if I didn't have it. Always living up to the expectations of people who don't have social anxiety and hating myself for not being able to do it. So in this picture we actually see Izabel looking at these monsters as though they aren't a problem, and even holding hands with one of them.

So looking back at the style again. Izabel started with an anime theme because anime art comes naturally to me. Anime art is how I got started so it will always have a place in my heart. It has a very important relationship with my childhood. But I found a traditional approach was much stronger. These are all digital paintings, but I do enjoy giving them the feel of traditional media, since that's what I'm known for. Especially my work with colored pencils.

This next image is the first drawing of Hilda, a blind maid who you're meant to face. Originally I considered the hands to be a representation of the way she interacts with the world by touch. Mother makes it apparent that her eyes were removed because she saw paintings that Mother wanted to keep hidden. These are actually some of the first paintings you see. Which means you end up on mother's bad side very early-on.

This is another page from Mother's Sketchbook. One of the reasons why I like this style is because it adds character to Izabel's mother as an artist. We're meant to believe that her mother made every drawing in the mansion. The drama of the monochromatic drawings is something I really liked about the original anime works that I've been using in the current style. By using a such a traditional style, I think, shows how prideful she is. Interestingly enough, Izabel's mother actually deals with same issues as Izabel, which is why she mentions being hungry.

Izabel and the Cage (in progress)

The entire project was originally called "The Cannibal". Which comes from a book I wrote while I was in elementary school also called "The Cannibal" about a little girl who is born with a disorder that requires her to exclusively eat people in order to survive. So you could consider it similar to Tokyo Ghoul. I actually don't have any copies of the original text although it's not very interesting to read because it was written by a child. Looking back there were some core themes that I found very interesting or at least unusual for a child to write about.

The story starts off with the little girl's parents arguing about how they're going to euthanize her because providing her food is completely unrealistic. In that moment the little girl had already been starving for weeks and when she approaches them after hearing them argue, and a combination of her predatory instincts taking over, a feeling of anger at her parents, and a supernatural voice urging her to eat, she decides to eat and kill both of her parents with some kind of supernatural strength. She also much later on uses their skulls (and spirits in theory) as magical weapons which insinuate that they still love her and she still loves them. So there is a theme of being betrayed by her parents, forgiveness, feeling broken, and the need to destroy others in order to sustain yourself.

One thing that makes Izabel complicated is that there are two different art styles that have to work together. There's the actual art inside the mansion and then there is the way the game engine renders the mansion which is also heavily stylized. Which is different in Blade Regalia where the rendering in the game is meant to mirror the art style. Rendering in Izabel is meant to highlight the importance of light and shadow regarding game mechanics. Light itself is actually a very core element of the game.

Some comments I've had were that the flat, cel-shaded objects provide an interesting sense of artificiality and an unnatural mood when adjacent to naturally rendered objects. Some people have told me it was more interesting to have the house naturally shaded with the hands cel shaded because it made the monsters feel more otherworldly.

This is the same effect I hope to maintain with the natural paintings in an unnatural world. Some of the drawings in the mansion are actually real oil paintings that were photographed. However, my favorite drawings would be like the one below which indicate mother's painting compulsion in real time, and that she already knows you've been sneaking around and had time to paint, frame, and hang it up on the wall for you to see. These paintings are done by using a projector to project he game onto a canvas and trace each color.

In some ways this relates to the incredible difference in power between parents and children. I'm sure many of us as children can recall being outsmarted by our parents or by other adults. It's very humbling.

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 18, 2020, 09:55:52 AM »
More Blade Regalia Art. Mainly focusing on improving preexisting character designs. In the game I've been working on AI so mostly nothing visual to show unless you like visual scripting and I can talk about that too.

Programming
For programming savvy readers, I've done a lot of work to change the AI systems from using variables to choose their actions to using arrays and the purpose of doing that is to make it so the AI can "weigh" multiple options against each other and choose the best one.

Previously AI would always chase and attack the nearest enemy, now the AI weighs all visible enemies against each other with a simple mathematical equation that divides their "impact" by their distance and health ratio. What this does is mimic a natural player's target selection, so as distance goes down "weight" goes up and as their HP goes down their weight also goes up. So the AI will prefer targets with less health, it will also prefer targets who are closer, and above all, it will prefer targets who have the highest "impact". Players would prefer to target the most likely kill, someone who has little health left, is very close, or is being too impactful should be the first target.

Impact is a variable that goes up each time the target damages the AI or each time the AI's target gets healed. So this means the AI will focus healers even if they're farther away, but they'll only focus healers that are actually healing the target the AI is trying to kill. This all goes away after a "persistence" variable goes down. Which goes down every second that the AI can't see you. So the AI can still track you behind walls for a few seconds. So it's similar to an Aggro system in an MMORPG, except you can't manipulate it by "taunting" the enemy.

Art
There are 6 characters in a faction known as the "Destruction Children". One important thing for these characters is to hide their identity and so I'll be introducing "Destruction Child" outfits for each of them along with some improved art. Many of these characters were last drawn in 2017 (not including story illustrations). These are Early-game Super-Villians and I'm working on them because they are relevant to the upcoming release. Ruth of course, being the adorable bundle of anger that she is has her regalia more themed around her fire-based abilities. And Jeremy's "unblockable" sword now appears more like you would imagine a sword that magically can't be blocked. Yes, this means in the game you can't block his attacks and you can only dodge them.

Some other characters in the upcoming release are being redesigned and some new characters are being intorduced.

Ruth

Jeremy

Elizabeth

Sachiko "The Red Fox"

Kassandra

General Enemy Soldiers

Eleanor "The Shy Swordbreaker"

Luciana "The Poison Master"

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 28, 2020, 05:29:39 PM »
Great work on the designs as usual, Kesashi! I'm really liking the Destruction Child outfits, especially the mask and how their appearances change. Looking forward to seeing the others c:

No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 30, 2020, 03:58:03 PM »
For programming savvy readers
Aha! hmmm yes that's me XD
I did once try and create an AI like you described for an RTS game, but I was too inexperienced to get even close. Sounds like a fantastic improvement to the AI. You could give each AI a slightly different "personality", which puts an extra random weight on different types of Impacts so they lean towards different actions like cautious or aggressive.

And fantastic art. I love Ruth, the dress is so gorgeous!
A good bunch of varied designs all round.
Keep it up!

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 24, 2020, 09:01:14 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCEfq_dxd8

I've done some work on Level 4 of Izabel called "the prisoner" where you're going to get introduced to a new character who I've drawn before. This video is something I showed for a class.

In even bigger news I'm days away from releasing the first public demo of Blade Regalia.

And @Suuper, I spent a lot of time looking into the error you got for Izabel. One thing I found was setting that indicated that the engine was designed to render using a DirectX 12 which is exclusive to windows 10, and your system was windows 7 meaning it needs to use DirectX 11 or lower for starters, so I've enabled multiple hardware rendering options. But of course it's a strange error and there aren't many definitive answers for it (you know it's bad when the top answer is *update your drivers*). I don't think I've ever had a computer issue where updating the drivers actually solved it, typically things are always up to date by force anyway.

The second issue I looked into was performance. I got reports of very low frames so the game will now launch on minimum or at least close to minimum graphics. So people with $1,000 PCs will have to upgrade the settings when the game launches, first world problems. Immediately, you'll be able to change the settings on the main menu and also at any time during gameplay. Still no option to change the controls yet and the other languages will (ideally) be available in the next version which I'll probably release a few weeks after this one. I'm actually waiting for my translator to be able to play before we finish the translations.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 25, 2020, 05:14:39 AM »
That's a really cool video, super creepy vibes.
I think it would be great with a bit more fog to show less of the white characters in the distance
My only criticism is that the chains (are they chains?) holding the white characters sort of wobble madly when at max tension. (in the video 0:36 on the right for example)

And aha yeah I'm not on a new computer that's for sure. I always tell myself I'll upgrade but there never seems to be a good enough reason :P
I'm looking forward to playing it!!

As a suggestion, you could always do a quick first run performance test at different settings to see what the resulting fps is and then for high performance PCs you can automatically set the graphics higher.

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 25, 2020, 11:23:50 PM »
I think it would be great with a bit more fog to show less of the white characters in the distance
My only criticism is that the chains (are they chains?) holding the white characters sort of wobble madly when at max tension. (in the video 0:36 on the right for example)

I was hoping no one would notice that. No I'm joking, I wasn't able to find the solution until recently to get the chains to be more stable and I found out the issue was that the chains were colliding with the statues that they were coming out of. So for the time being I just turned off the statue's collision and in the future I'll make it so specifically the statues and the chains' collisions ignore each other.

That is also the exact reaction the chains would have if they're stretched too far which is why it was so confusing to fix. I've also made it now so they won't shake so much and should look much heavier.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 26, 2020, 12:48:49 AM »
haha you can't sneak code issues past me XD
one other possible fix is to change their physics behaviour once they are fully extended, or use an actual higher quality precomputed animation sequence for the chains rather than on the fly calculation. Alternatively write a chain physics engine to handle that specific interaction really well. You could also model the chain as a rope/elastic instead and then fit the chain objects to the rope path rather than having the chains individually interact with physics.
I've never worked with physics engines partly for the complexity, but also for this exact reason that they are somewhat not quite realistic in random unexpected ways
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:50:50 AM by Suuper-san »

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 27, 2020, 12:26:09 AM »
I'm going to be making sure there are regular updates about the game on the website here so you can always read about what's happening even though I won't always have much to show. My team and I are interested in making the story telling in the game more interactive in a sense. The state of the world changes based on what you do in the story, and to unlock certain characters requires you to follow a certain "path". This means getting antagonists on your team won't necessarily be canon, but you can get them if you decide to follow a different path.

This is mostly handled mathematically and I don't intend for it to be like a branching path game where you get a few options to branch away, because that would require me to introduce a lot more assets and story telling for possible paths. It's difficult to describe exactly how I want this to work, so I'd like to wait until I can introduce the system to the game to explain it further.

Jianna

Redesign for Reina.

Harper

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 27, 2020, 12:47:32 PM »
I must apologise for not commenting here sooner... I've been aware of your really diligent work here for a while but never hopped in on the discussion for some reason... Anyways, I checked out your website for Blade Regalia and I found it to be pretty inderesting read :) As an avid gamer I have some feedback also if you would hear me out.

First off, I'm a sucker for stylised, cell-shaded graphics. More games are adpoting them now, following the popularity of "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild", but I think that there is still lots that can be done in this space. Anyways, I find your character art to be very unique, and it seems to translate well into 3D, in game models. I have two pieces of feedback on the art front really. 1) Consider adding at least an option for a comicbook outline reshade. This is my preference for games with cell-shaded graphics, as it really helps to make objects pop, helps with visual clarity and definition, and aesthetically captures the manga/anime feel well (if this is an aim of yours). Some fat linework, and maybe a cross-hatched shading layer on top of the cell shading, could go a long way here. 2) The style of the world assets should match the character art style more closely. It's possible that this is just currently placeholder, but some of the screenshots show scenes where the world asset textures (and weapon textures) are hugely different to the character textures. I promise that a consistent aesthetic always trumps a stark contrast here (Code Vein and the Fire Emblem: Three Houses came closest to skirting this line in my mind).

I think that re-design for Reina is really well realised by the way. Design-wise I think it's always important that the aesthetics of a character play a role in their kit in the moment to moment action.

Lengthy game design discussion where I make assumptions and take liberties...

Systems-wise, I have not played a lot of party based brawlers personally. I hear that Genshin Impact is doing really well (unsurprisingly, as it is a mobile/PC gacha game...), and seems to be slightly comparable in that you are collecting characters to add to your team, and then controlling one team member at a time in brawler action combat. Maybe overall your game is more closely aligned with Mass Effect or the new Final Fantasy games though. I think that modern party based action games need that level of party control now, whereby you can give the rest of the party orders to carry out with the tap of a button, whilst you still brawling with your currently controlled character.

On top of this, your combat needs to be really well refined, responsive and just plain fun. It should be these things to the extent that anyone would actively want to play it with just stick figures in a white box room - without any of your pretty character art. Ideally, brawlers want to include spectacle, responsiveness, fluidity and power-fantasy on the side of the player with engaging encounter design and AI on the side of the enemies. To be frank, I have played lots of action-RPGs, and almost all that are worth the money pretty much nail the player side of things. However, few, if any ever manage to balance this properly with world and encounter design. Monster Hunter is the pinnacle of encounter design really, because of how the monster AI, interacting with the environment, imparts such circumstantial and reactive experiences for the player. But it is not really a brawler or aRPG. I don't know exactly how you can really recreate this in a more horde based scenario... but having well telegraphed enemy attacks, AI strategy, and enemy variety that encourages changing tactics seems really important. A lot of horde based games just throw tons of enemies charging at you, but in my experience, curated groups of enemies in an area, where the AI knows how to interact properly with the environment and one another, always make for better encounters. Throwing less enemies at a player doesn't mean that the game pace has to slow down either, if the encounters are programmed to always challenge the player and keep them moving and reacting.

From what I've read, your general combat mechanics seem solid to me, although it's hard to tell how it all comes together to feel without playing.

The RPG elements of the game are interesting. It looks like you have characters with base ability sets, and then you can unlock different regalia outfits for each that alter the abilities. There are a few pitfalls to watch out for here. Firstly, I don't think you want to completely change up a character's role, nor lose what a player like about them, with the change in outfit, but you also want to avoid bland and minor changes that make it feel not even worth changing the regalia outside of min-maxing numbers. Personally, my approach to designing this system would be to have each outfit for a character focus on augmenting one of their abilities, with maybe minor tweaks to the others but mostly just a total character and ability reskin, and possibly intoduce a trade-off so that it may be worth using the base outfit in some scenarios also. They may also focus on different status ailments or something, and perhaps each outfit could imbue a unique ultimate. You have to be aware that there will always be a "best" option that players will gravitate towards, and with this many characters, it could be a nightmare to balance.

A big thing for me, which is why I stopped playing games like Warframe and Diablo III, is the requirement for constant narrative hook. If your game is going to be singleplayer/coop then player impact on the shape of the game world is just a necessity. Pushing time-trials and leaderboards and challenge tiers in a static world can interest a few people, but overall is just not really a compelling reason to play the game. A good gameplay loop and fun combat can keep someone playing much longer than they would otherwise - Warframe is a good example of this, with currently only about 8 hours of narrative hook but keeping me playing for ~800hours until reaching the point where it felt like the empty, static husk that it is - but once a player reaches a certain level of power where they are comfortable in taking on any challenge the game can throw at them, the lack of dynamics in the world and narrative (which PvP can offer to a certain extent) really starts to show. I actually think that the old Dynasty warriors games (5 in particular) did a farily good job of narrative, drawing me back in to replay the same battles over and over from different character's perspectives with unique narrative each time.

I believe that content in the game should always be unlocked by playing the game, and that drive to play should always be tied to narrative progression to give you a reason to play the content. What little narrative and worlbuilding Warframe actually had outside of the main story missions was bolstered greatly when they used to do unique questlines for suits and collectible lore entries, but when a new item that came out with an aquisition method that was a story-less grind then I couldn't care less about getting it. Therefore I recommend that the extra character outfits be unlocked through character specific questlines, and the outfits themselves should have established lore that fleshes out your world. On the topic of your world, it seems massive! I wonder if you've considered doing something like the "Empires" entries in the Dynasty Warriors series? That sort of management, choose your own progression through the world to a specific goal (in that case it is conquering all of China), adds to replayability by offering unique, emergent narratives each time. However, regardless of what type of grand narrative progression you choose, I would not skimp on the moment to moment storytelling on a character level. From what I've seen of Genshin Impact, even that gacha game has a lot of story for collectable characters. I think that even a game like League of Legends is a better game for the lore and character interactions that the champions have, even if you do not see it play out in most 5vs5 games (aside from a few of the characters that specifically interact in pre-programmed ways).

I think that 150 characters is an insane number, especially if you want this to be a narrative focused experience... not to mention you then want 3 outfits and kit re-designs per character... I would rather have a coice of 8 well developed heroes for each role, making sure that they are all established in the world and story, and have solid character to character interactions written out, well made individual questlines, with individual motives and goals to push player desicion making, AND well designed character kits and outfits etc. Be careful not to stretch yourself too thin, because if the characters and the world lack depth, then the depth of the player's investment will be shallow too.

Anyways, I wish you and your team every success, and I look forward to downloading and trying out the game at some point  :biggrin: