March 29, 2024, 04:27:52 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Kesashi's Gallery  (Read 140162 times)

Offline VOYA

• Voyager
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: Kesashi's Gallery
« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
Man it's such a subjective statement I know but traditional work like this really sells me. I just love the idea of it being real and there in your workspace after working on it.

Until you have to find a place to put it, But seriously, you take it for granted when you do a lot of traditional work. I can tell I have a very different relationship with my own digital art. I wasn't even sure if I should include it in my own portfolio when applying to have the university review it.

So many characters...so many...ugh, you're like me. All the OCs. Just about every stereotype and trope will get covered eventually if people like us aren't stopped.

Yeah and I've been trying to go back and flesh out some of the characters I worked on a long time ago. Most of the characters of Izabel have already existed, like Izabel herself, but with different identities. That was originally the goal with Blade Regalia, but then I ran out and had to create brand new ones.

That's called forgery a cool idea.

Not exactly incorrect. Contemporary artwork can have copyrights. I recently found out buildings can be copyrighted. Architecture and interior designs require permission to photograph if it's recognizable.

The more I draw this piece, the more I come to hate Da Vinci for putting me through it.

I love Izabel's design, very simple cute and creepy at all once. I'm curious about the game's story already just from the character designs! Great work with the assignment, you definitely captured Da Vinci really well imo.

During some play testing I've successfully been able to terrify family members without using jump-scares or any audio. Huge win for me since it is my first time working with horror. And it's a bit challenging as I'm trying to avoid gore.

You guys may recognize some of the older works of art in this room. While the game is going to be a reflection on me, the artwork in this room is actually made by the "Mother". The next "enemy" I'm working on is the maid who has been blinded. There will be more artwork that I will have to draw especially for the game because I want the paintings to be your main source of information about what's actually happening. There will be a lot of family portraits. Currently not sure if I want to use any dialogue, so it may be your only source. There's also a few new Blade Regalia characters

Natalie

Regina

Regina<3
Hey there, I am using WhatsA- ... oh

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 23, 2019, 04:20:05 PM »
wow I had no idea buildings could be copyrighted!!!

and that is some creepy room with the paintings. well done!
I try and avoid gore too, and well, anything extreme of any kind. it takes a higher level of story telling to grip the viewers and get their emotions involved but it's worth it I think.

nice zombie/stitched girl. only gripe is the eye patch looks a bit uncomfortable over the nose. Some eye patches that I have seen dont have the lower cord on one side to prevent that very issue I assume. the mixed clothing parts is a good idea too.

Love the layers on that white dress too. really adds details while keeping it simple.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 23, 2019, 09:22:00 PM »
Oh yeah, architects and interior design people are VERY into how artistic there work is. Well, they can be at least. It's how you separate the ones who are good to work with from those that aren't. I'll leave it to your imagination which is which.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 25, 2019, 01:50:50 AM »
nice zombie/stitched girl. only gripe is the eye patch looks a bit uncomfortable over the nose. Some eye patches that I have seen dont have the lower cord on one side to prevent that very issue I assume.

Interesting idea. I probably should have researched eyepatch designs beforehand. I was just distracted by the way that it shows off the curvature of the nose

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 07, 2019, 12:46:47 AM »
Some new Blade Regalia character art and some other updates. Earl uses an ancient aztec sword with blades made of obsidian. The blades could have unrivaled sharpness but would become dull very quickly. Also, were doing an assignment in figure drawing where we're drawing the figure in color for the first time. Using dry pastels. I'm also trying to figure out how to make realistic art with digital media, so I've been doing a lot of experimentation.

Demica

Earl

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 09, 2019, 01:59:02 PM »
I love Earl, he looks very composed. the contrast between outfit and weapon is rather striking.

Great face tests, the eyes look really neat and detailed.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 05, 2019, 12:21:16 AM »
Some new characters and game art for Blade Regalia. I've added a girl who uses a gunsword, and I finally finished making icons for all of the factions.

I've also gotten to make at test build of Izabel, and on top of genuinely scaring people without obligatory jumpscares, its performance was pretty good on a lower-end PC so a lot of success stories. I've learned a lot about developing in UE4 thanks to Izabel, and strongly recommend working on a single player project for anyone with a multiplayer project idea, or at least build and optimize your multiplayer game around singleplayer mechanics and then add multiplayer in post.

April

Rachelle

Nathaniel

Stephanie

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:15:08 PM by Lord Kesashi »

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 05, 2019, 01:29:15 AM »
The last one look like a haunting ghost photo. Any story behind it or its just a test?

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 05, 2019, 05:28:34 AM »
Blade Regalia seems like an awesome game.

Facebook       Patreon

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 05, 2019, 08:53:17 AM »
Man I just love those logos and all your character designs in general. Looks like the 3d rendering has improved somewhat too? It looks less toony in an exaggerated sense like the older eps of RWBY looked. Rachelle is my favourite, but April has quite the interesting weaponry there.

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 14, 2019, 09:16:55 PM »
The last one look like a haunting ghost photo. Any story behind it or its just a test?

That scene is supposed to be what happens when you grab the key to unlock the first door.

Working on Izabel non-stop to make it presentable for class was very tiring so I've sense been working on Blade Regalia exclusively recently. But Izabel is really more of a an artwork than a game so there's not much sense in working on it without inspiration.

I've been working on a singleplayer "story mode" basically for Blade Regalia including RPG-like character growth elements. There was a version of game from a series called Valhalla Knights where you literally had a party of AI with you so you could still theoretically have team-based mechanics like a dedicated healer. This is generally the plan so I don't need to alter the programming or design of the heroes.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 17, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
cool faction logos. some are quite simple whereas others are quite complex. I personally feel that they should either all be complex or all be simple otherwise they feel strange next to each other. but they are all fine individually.

and nice dragon.

good advice for game making about doing single player first. you want all the players to have a good experience. I'll remember that if I ever do multiplayer stuff.

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 18, 2019, 09:53:59 PM »
cool faction logos. some are quite simple whereas others are quite complex. I personally feel that they should either all be complex or all be simple otherwise they feel strange next to each other. but they are all fine individually.

Thanks, if you wouldn't mind, which icons in particular do you feel stand out most as too complex and too simple. Like specifically which ones would be an example of too simple and which ones would be an example of too complex. I would rather have them all be more balanced overall.

Kim

New Character who uses the hook swords. She is a member of the "Black Lotus" which is a division of the "Lotus" faction. I forgot to mention that I will release a playable build of Izabel if you really want to test it, but the room full of artwork is uncensored in the version that I used for class. The version that I distribute I would like to have only PG-13 artwork.

For context, below is one of the images in the game that I would like to remove. If you're not bothered by nudity I post all of my work on artstation

Nudity (Artistic Nude)

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 20, 2019, 08:23:19 PM »
Little update. For those curious about the story of Blade Regalia, I'm making progress on the first Manga/Graphic Novel.

One thing I noticed as I was studying digital art was that digital paintings always seemed over-blended especially if it was amateur work. Professionals didn't have that problem, they're usually able to emulate real paint more.  And so did mine. The technical term for what's wrong is called "noise" specifically the fact that there is no noise. When you use the sharpen tool on Photoshop the tool doesn't actually find detail that isn't there, the tool just adds noise and this creates an optic illusion that there is more detail.

Noise is just a term for random variations in an area. Like in music the background "noise" that you would want to remove when you're recording. With traditional media, noise is almost impossible to avoid. The grain of the paper, the jitters of the pencil create noise and we traditional artists take it for granted.

So why is this a problem with digital art? Well if you use digital media the same way you use traditional. For instance, one method would be to put down general values with hard edges and blend them together to make them more natural. What happens in traditional is as you blend, the noise doesn't go away. But with digital the noise goes away, so your natural instincts with traditional will work against you unless Adobe can invent a tool that allows you to blend with noise.

Sorry that was my little epiphany. I've just been at war with digital media for so long. Anyway the solution was to get a brush that has noise in it, and to avoid blending. You can still get a lot of natural noise from your brush strokes with a basic brush tool, but blending will cause you to lose detail.

This is one of those older digital art studies I did where I was relying more on the blend tool. So you can kind of see how it feels over blended at some points. At some points it works well.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 21, 2019, 04:17:57 AM »
Yeah some of my very first face studies were very smoothly blended. using a textured brush helps to keep some noise in there and stop it from looking plastic smooth. Making a digital piece look traditional is something that I eventually want to be able to do, although I don't know what sort of traditional feel I want haha. using a smudge brush with a texture is also a great way to get a painty feel. you could also apply an art filter over areas of a smooth painting to give it an automatic oil/watercolour etc feel.

hmmmm for the logos:
mostly too complex means the detailsa re too small or don't look natural as a logo

too simple:
-Lotus - This is a yin-yang, so it's naturally quite simple. it might be hard to change this one. maybe add another circle swirly border around it or something. also, it's the only 2 colour icon - a third colour is needed to contrast both black and white. every other icon can use a single colour on any other colour and it's visible. I mean a lotus is a flower, right, why not just use that?
-Inquisitor - very simple design. not sure if the black is a shield?
-Desert scorpions - difficult to see at a distance as it is a very thin design. if it's just three swords, you could style them more after daggers.
good level of detail:
-guardians of the North - not sure what the three white lines are, hair? the face details are a tad hard to see but its not too complex.
-Occultists - There a million styles of this pattern that you could use, and it will always look good. the tiny holes in the center circle are a little annoying though.
-sanctum - the cross is nicely shaped so is not too simple
-Formless - the spikey parts of this design don't feel unnatural as the overall design is quite wavy.
-Destruction children - maybe the black line separating the teeth could be a tad thicker but otherwise great.
too complex:
-Empire - the Omega letter has funny kinks and bumps in the main loop. try and use less nodes, make them smoother, or maybe use an actual font letter instead?
-Beautiful death - I've got nothing against skull and crossbones, but until I just looked forward, I thought those roses were actually rapiers. add a leaf maybe for a rose. but I think t's just too much detail to be seen at a distance. if you use just the rose head, you might be able to make it larger.
-Southern warriors - I love this design, but I think the white gaps are too thin
-Veil - the castle is fine, but the flag is too small a detail I think.
-Dulong kingdom - I think this overlaps with Veil too much, and the castle is just a bit too small overall.

I try and think how faction icons would look on a flag or a shield or something. Really a good design for a faction is recognizable at a distance. see how the worlds country flags are very simple, just stripes of colour often. even a simple pattern flag has plenty of variety from one to the next. It's better they they are all simple if possible, but depending on the design, they still need that extra level of detail. Also, try and avoid putting in small details when the rest of the design doesn't have small details. like the tags (what are they called again) in the letter "I" on Inquisitor, every other shape is a simple smooth lines, so the small sharp spikes seem unnatural. but that's a bit more my personal design style.

I really want to go off and design some logos now haha.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:21:29 AM by suuper-san »