December 07, 2019, 02:45:57 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Why is Nintendo so loved?  (Read 748 times)

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
Why is Nintendo so loved?
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »
This might be a silly question, but... well.... why?  :push:
I really tried to get into their games/consoles, but i just couldn't.
It's like gamers make Nintendo an exception in every argument. Examples:
A: "I hate Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. They release the same games every year"
B: "I hate Mario too. These games never change"
A: "No Mario is different."
B: "How?"
A: "Because Nintendo are great"

Believe me these are the arguments i always read on several game websites, like Gamespot and IGN.

Another thing that bothers me about Nintendo is their slow attachment to the past. They never let go of their franchises. I admit Zelda was kind of fun on the 3DS, but Mario is still the same from the N64 era. The only thing they've changed are the graphics.. Same levels, same gameplay, same story ( princess is kidnapped, save her, kill that dragon-turtle thing ).
Also the WiiU... Its clearly a PS3 with a game pad -.-

And yet what really surprises me is that they keep winning the console wars, they keep selling the most games/systems etc...

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
Re: Why is Nintendo so loved?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »
The reason they sell the most is because the games are more family oriented, and, thus, they have a wider audience. To be honest, I like Nintendo most because it was a large part of my childhood, and I could only get into a few first person shooters. But I'd consider the Playstation tough competition if not an overall better group of systems (not to mention the SEGA systems RIP). I don't like, have never liked, and probably will never like XBox. I quit gaming, though, before I could ever get into PC.

Offline Takeo

• That One Asian DJ
  • Yo! What's Happenin'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 01:50:13 PM »
The reason is simple: Nintendo, like Apple, know a thing or two about marketing to a larger audience. While Nintendo may have abandoned the hardcore gamer market, they managed to break into the family market, despite the fact that the WiiU alienated that same market and has roughly the same amount of power as the Xbox 360 but in a portable touchscreen package.

Yes, Nintendo is slow on the technological uptake. They just now properly get an online service integrated into their systems, a technology which became standard seven years ago. But the one thing that Nintendo will always have a grasp on are handhelds. Despite the popularity of iOS devices and Android devices, the 3DS still rules the portable handheld market, simply because the games are just better and it's 3D without the use of cumbersome glasses.

Nintendo markets to a broader audience instead of just gamers. Though they are essentially to blame for the leech that is Casual Gaming (casual gaming is actually killing the game industry), one cannot simply disregard the precedence they've established for themselves. Not only that, but they're also veterans in the console market and have had the most consoles on the market that are still going strong (no other company has released as many successful consoles as Nintendo, you can't deny that either).

Granted, I'm not a fan of Nintendo's recent work, but everything up to the Gamecube was quite a treat.

In short, the reason why Nintendo continues to be successful is because they appeal to the demographic that DOESN'T spend 15% of their overall income on gaming, as there's a market there too.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »
Nintendo for some reason doesn't feel like a 'coorporate megacompany'. It is defianately some form of that, but even with my pitiful knowledge of that kind of world i sort of know what they're up to and when i talk about them i talk about their products and games, talk about the other companies and now suddenly your thinking of the bottom line and scandals and promises not made and strange game scandals and companies and DLCs and all that sort of madness.

That and what everyone else has said. I surely don't like Wii as much, but they're overall image, ethic and products are pretty great.

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »
@Paipis and Takeo: I agree with the whole "different target audience". It's a shame they abandoned hardcore gamers though

@Lego: Exactly. The thing that keeps making me go back to them is their ethics. Especially with companies like Microsoft abandoning their fans in favor of money. I expect Sony to take that road too ( hopefully not. Ive always been a Sony guy ). But Nintendo feel stable. Which is both a good thing ( no DRM, no DLC ) and a bad thing ( same old games, not enough hardcore ones )

Offline Roshon21

• I will obey your every command. ._.
  • "If I am a "Robot," do I eat metal."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 04:59:08 PM »
I Love nintendo......and I will curse anyone who downs the name Nintendo.... >:(
Btw I hate when everybody hates on nintendo, nintendo is the only real game company and their doing their best
Trying to get new games....^.^
So I dontblame them, but looking forward to a new mario galaxy and a new zelda.  :santa:

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
       While I do feel like nostalgia plays a large part of Nintendo's appeal, I think that their products have a more "timeless" quality that speaks to every age group. There's a charm to Nintendo's games that extends beyond their target audience. Games like Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc., take a relatively simple premise, fine-tune it to perfection, and let the player go wild.
       Now, that's not saying that they lack depth! Quite the opposite, really. By focusing on a small set of rules, there is still wide variety of ways that Nintendo's managed to work with a smaller number of gameplay mechanics over the years. The Mario 64 practically invented the 3D platforming genre, and did so by making the simple act of controlling the camera into a fun, yet necessary part of the game, something that developers are still struggling with today. Even the stories get a lot more involving than most recent games. While they do tend to recycle basic plots, it's done so with a tongue-in-cheek brand of humor. The "Mario and Luigi" or "Paper Mario" games love to hang a lampshade over just how often these characters have had to do roughly the same thing over and over again. Pikmin does a great job of making you become attached to your troops, and Earthbound...

I could write a book about Earthbound and still not adequately encapsulate all the ways in which that game is perfect.

TL;DR: Nintendo is loved because of it's simple charms with surprising depth. They may not be the most technincally advanced, but each one of their games is made with more heart than any big-budget Triple-A game on the market today.