November 23, 2017, 04:30:32 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: And then Nairbons had a Gallery  (Read 3924 times)

Offline IronQuill

• View Profile
Re: And then Nairbons had a Gallery
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 12:16:12 AM »
"i must use this power only for good" lmfao! its good to see you are drawing different angles and expressions in the second pic, good stuff.

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 11:40:08 PM »
D'awww. All these nice words. I feel like the prettiest girl at the ball...
(Seriously, it's great to hear feedback on the stuff I would feel hesitant to show most folks)

I thought I'd post the most recent sketchdump here. I'm still in the process of trying to find a style that's diverse enough to cover a lot of ground while being easy to ink on my tablet. I've been trying to use the cheap-o MangaStudio4, but I'm thinking about giving Paint Tool Sai a shot.

Aw, well. Here's them arts:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:03:36 AM by nairbons »

Offline FlossAndChaos

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
Yup, I still like all the expressions you've got ^.^

If you'd let me offer you a tip: Avoid feathering your lines.
What do I mean by feathering your lines?
It looks like you have several short lines making up one larger line.

An example of feathered vs. solid line:

The above image was found in a Line Art tutorial Here

How does this feathering effect happen?
It looks like you are drawing with your wrist, using tense, small pencil strokes.
How do you fix it?
Draw with your whole arm.
However, your muscles have to be trained to loosen up, and let you draw big sweeping lines. It's hard to control those lines at first.
So how do you train your muscles to loosen up? Practice.
Take a few minutes a day to just draw lines:

The above image was found Here

And Draw Circles/Curves:

The above was found on a nice tutorial Here

The goal you want to aim for, and practice, is drawing ONE line, instead of many. The only way to draw one solid line like that is to draw with your whole arm. Practicing that now, while you study anatomy will benefit you in the long run. It will reduce finger fatigue, and help you draw longer. It will also make things a lot easier on you when you start inking.
Hope this tip helps, it's a big one!
Keep it up! ^.^

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »
Yeesh at the blushing zombie kohai

Nice sketches man... Who is that hiding behind tiki?

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
Nice stuff, Nair. Dat zombie...

Offline Nairbons

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 11:08:58 PM »
@Floss: Thanks bunches! I may have heard about that "Draw with your whole arm" thing before, but I guess that I've never consciously associated it with my work. When most of what I've done is sketches in pencil, the negative effects aren't nearly as noticeable, but every time I hop onto a PC tablet, there's a definite period of "WHY AM I SUDDENLY TERRIBLE" that I couldn't grasp (other than the obvious and totally valid answer of "because you are terrible"). The auto-correcting of lines never quite feels accurate or honest for some reason, and I've got to strive to function without that crutch.
      I'll definitely be taking this into account. Thanks bunches for taking the time to type/find all of that.

@Lego: The girl behind Man-Tiki is Annabel Dee, who would be the audience-P.O.V. character in the story I'm kicking around. If you can imagine a spinoff of "Law and Order" written by H.P. Lovecraft in a good mood, you'd have an idea of what I'm shooting for.

@Paipis:  :biggrin:

Offline Nairbons

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 11:54:57 PM »
Made some new arts since, uh.... The last time I posted here. Whenever that was.

First up: Some Luchador!
Spoiler
Huh. I realize now that the men I've drawn all tend to be on the burly/buff side of the body spectrum. It's probably a result of only having a mirror and my own hyper-masculine body to use for a reference. *sigh* (Flexes muscles sadly, every lady in a two mile radius swoons.)

Next up: Another sketchdump!
Spoiler
Yeah, the random space-guy's pose sort of served as the template for that Luchador mentioned above. As for most of the other bits: It may have been mentioned before, but HOLY CRUMBS MIKE MIGNOLA IS MY FAVORITE ARTIST IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. No references used here, though. I guess that I wan't really trying to emulate his figure drawing, but I can't get enough of his pen strokes and shading. That's what I want to fold into my own work. I'm also doing it because I'm starting to falter on the more anime or anime-inspired western 'toon style.

I'm just kind of hitting the same wall of mediocrity that goes up every time I get back into art. I really need to stop looking at other people on Deviantart. Seriously, they're all a bunch of hyper-talented, computer savvy 7-year-olds and how can they seriously be that good it's not fair why must this happen to meeeeeeee...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:25:15 AM by nairbons »

Offline Nairbons

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
Spoiler
Practice with poses. Again, no references used (for good or bad). The pursuit of style has been put on hold temporarily for the sake of getting the basics down. When I actually start throwing a plot around, I'd like my characters to have the kind of abstraction you'd see in Western art. The stock body types of anime tend to traditionally be a bit more limited, and I want characters to be recognizable from smaller outlines.

Should probably start practicing on backgrounds sometime soon...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:25:03 PM by nairbons »

Offline everlastin01

• Learning/attempting writer
  • Working on story and practing things
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »
never enough practice with poses...even though I can't do one even if my life depended on it
Coryn's assistant

and Rouge Student (Galactic Raiders)

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 08:20:42 AM »
things are progressing here it seems. like the style of hellguy

Offline Demonfyre

• The beginner, the martyr, the loser, the victor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »
Hmm, I would try to loosen up Nairbons. It seems like your drawings are becoming a bit stiff and heavy. Since you are doing a fair bit of figure drawing, why not try gestures as warm ups? Try to be quick and messy, rather than going slowly over lines to try and keep it "neat". You just lose the character and energy of the pose when you do this :/ save that for line arts if you get around to it

Edit: I would also consider using more refs, since even though it is good that you are trying to invent poses etc, you don't seem to have an anatomical knowledge which can compensate for this.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:37:05 PM by Demonfyre »

Offline Nairbons

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 01:49:34 AM »
You know, it's weird. I sit on the internet and read books, and I just TAKE IN all of this art theory and different tips and tricks. Like I'm getting art skill through some kind of visual osmosis. Then, even though I stop drawing for weeks at a time, I can come back and feel like I've gotten better. Maybe not actually better, but like I'm moving in a positive direction. Dear lord, I still need to practice like the dickens, but I'm gradually apporoaching the point when I can look at a practice page, and my face doesn't melt off like I snuck a peek at the Ark of the Covenant.

We see here a graveyard scene shamelessly inspired by Mike Mignola, an angry man, a confused boy, a smilin' Legomaestro look-alike, a hard-boiled cop, some kind of magic man in a bathrobe, and a brief storyboard that you can safely assume is better written than it is drawn.

Spoiler

Still not where I'd like to be, but I'm planning on working on a one-shot webcomic as a kind of learn-by-doing project. Look for more on that later. I'm riding this wave of productivity to it's logical conclusion this time.

Offline Agent.Knopf

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 02:40:08 AM »
Hi there :3

I really like your humor - and how about trying a yonkoma (4 Panel Story) ? IT'll give u the chance to write small stories, practice panel setups, poses etc.

The Boob-thingy is really good :D - It's just 3 panels though, but maybe if you feel like doing it as a yonkoma you can come up with another panel. Before u get started though, check out the flow of a Yonkoma, it usually is:

• Introduction
  • Develop the story based on a foundation
  • Climax
  • Conclusion

So you'd be a bit limited in regard to how much you can stuff into a Yonkoma, but I think it'll be helpful :3 .

Other than that I don't have much to add to what has already been said (anatomy, pose practice, using refs etc.). Maybe try out different manga-eye styles - but that's really up to you.

Cheers & Looking forward to more,
Knopf

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 03:58:37 AM »
Lego look alike looks positively chipper good sir.

I'd love to see those one shots or web comic haha. I can definitely count on it being funny

Offline Nairbons

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 02:06:21 AM »
The slow march of progress continues. Herein lies the two pages of sketches that I thought were:
1) Presentable
2) Free of context from anything long-form I'm working on
3) Indicative of the (relative) improvements that I've made

First on the docket: a bunch of dudes doing poses in various positions. Some of 'em got a bit more detail. Some better than others. I think I'm losing that stiffness that Demonfyre mentioned months ago. I worked from the bottom of the page going up, just to show how that excercise progressed.

Spoiler

Second up to bat: The second page in my sparkling new sketchpad. I finally filled the last one, and I can see how far I've come since starting it. With the new one, I started using such scandalous things as a photo reference, or perspective. I'm also incredibly proud/ashamed to say that I've found a lot of inspiration and information from French. As a red-blooded American, I'm hesitant to praise the French, but GOLLY. Those guys can compose an environment, capture emotion, and find a harmony between cartoonish distortion and realism that makes me smile. The one boxed-in rectangle came from me trying out some French dynamism. I LIKE THE RESULT. My fatty-fat-fat linework may have found a home. Once again, I progressed from the bottom of the page to the top.

I added a lot more girls to this page to prove that I am a open-minded egalitarian.
The girls ended up showing a lot of cleavage because, as it turns out, I'm actually a creepy scumbag.  :noidea:

Spoiler