April 17, 2024, 09:03:12 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: my first cosplay  (Read 16075 times)

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a bazooka.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
my first cosplay
« on: July 26, 2008, 09:51:50 PM »
As you know, I will go back to Japan expo convention from Paris next year. I was fascinated by cosplayers! I would like to go back there , cosplaying this time.

Maybe Hasitha and Dodah will be there too: we have talked about cosplaying together.
I have never made any cosplay, I don't know what character I'll choose (probably a Naruto character, since Hasitha wants to be Kakashi.)

My questions are, for now, since I haven't chosen a character:

how long does it take to prepare an outfit?
what will I need and where to find it?
what must I do to look cute and not ridiculous?

Please give me your help!

When I'll have chosen the character, my questions will be more precise, but that's all I have for now ^^

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:53:28 AM by Corycaly »

Offline Demi

• new vogue child
    • View Profile
Re: my first copslay
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:18:56 PM »
How long does it take to prepare an outfit?
In my experience, it varies greatly depending on the costume. I spent 11 months working on 8 costumes from Revolutionary Girl: Utena. On the other hand, I put together Kazuki from GetBackers in a day. A mid-range example would be my Phantasy Star Universe costume, which took about a month on and off. It really depends entirely upon what kind of clothes the character wears. Something from an anime like Beck or GetBackers where the clothes are relatively normal will take far less time than something from, say, Utena or Trinity Blood where there are a lot of crisp details.

what will I need and where to find it?
Again, it depends entirely on what you choose to make. If you are not good at sewing, you could always buy your entire costume from ebay or various cosplay commissioners (they will often custom-make garments to your measurements). If you want to sew it, you just need to figure out an approximation of what type of fabric is represented (I've gotten good at this if you need help), then to find the fabric at a fabric shop. If you've never sewn at all, you might want to choose costumes that can be assembled from pre-made clothing, or that just require simple sewing until you become familiar with sewing techniques.

I get a lot of things (especially shoes) from thrift shops and second hand stores. My wigs come from Ebay or Amphigory. I can link you to some good ebay sellers if you'd like. Be warned: wigs and shoes will easily cost as much as the rest of the costume. This often freaks people out, so they skip wigs and proper shoes, which ruin the costume. Nobody wants to see, for example, a Yuna cosplayer with oily, curly hair that's halfway down her back. We want to see the Yuna we know, with her smooth, straight hair. In general, wigs are preferable to actual hair, because anime and game styles are so unrealistically full. I make two exceptions with my costumes - Haku from Naruto (because updo wigs are hard) and Kazuki from GetBackers (I merely add an extension to my own hair).

what must I do to look cute and not ridiculous?
Get into character. Smile, and pose, don't just stand there. Basic posing skills help - practice in a mirror. Try not to be too self conscious. This is just another way of playing dress up and you should have fun with it.

Some tips I have for looking better both in person and in photos:
-Wear makeup. Whether you are male or female, it will even out your skin, define your features, etc.
-Stand up straight. Most people don't realize how bad their posture is until they actually stand up straight.
-Make sure you keep your head up! Your face and neck will generally look better if you are not staring at the floor.
-If you are overly self-conscious about weight, etc, try getting some posture support tops and things to wear under your costumes. These generally make you look slimmer which will give you more confidence.
-Wear something body-appropriate. If you are heavier, do not wear a bikini type costume. The same goes if you are skeletally thin. XD No one wants to see lots of flab OR every bone in your body.
-When someone takes your photo, POSE. Do not just stand there. Pick out some in-character poses and practice them before you go. I can't tell you how much that helped me out. Now I'm better at posing on-the-fly and I rarely have to practice before hand. With groups, though, we will pick poses before hand so that we all look our best in photos.
-If your character is angsty or sad, don't always look that way in photos. Practice doing small smiles and stuff to soften your features for photos. You want to look in-character, not necessarily like you are really grumpy!

Hope this helps at least somewhat. Feel free to ask for sewing tips, pattern alteration stuff, wig styling, or anything really, once you pick a character.

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
  • Life is a bazooka.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 12:23:35 AM »
I really have to thank you, Demi for all this precise advice.
I have chosen 2 outfits:
Soi Fong from bleach:

in the kimono version, like Ichigo. I have seen the black kimono for 10 dollars on ebay, but I want to make the white cape by myself.

Hasitha showed me a cosplay from ah my goddess: Bellandy: I loved it!

Offline Demi

• new vogue child
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:49:51 AM »
Soi Fong would be a pretty good costume for a beginner. One of my close friends cosplays her, actually. I made shinigami robes myself, and they only took me about 7 hours from start to finish (I cosplayed Hinamori).

Kimono/yukata/haori are very easy to make because they are entirely straight seams. And there are many great patterns for them, if you would want to make them yourself. Be careful if you buy shinigami robes online, because a lot of them do not have a proper lining - the makers instead simply add a white border to the edge, which looks awful both in real life and in photos. Also make sure you are buying funerary kimono, because that is what the shinigami wear - not normal ones.

If you choose to make the kimono/hakama, I can give you some instructions on the hakama, because there are not patterns widely available for them. They're pretty easy to make (all you need is 3 yards of fabric and to make about eight cuts, all in straight lines).

The outer cloak thing that the captains wear can be made by modifying a kimono pattern. I haven't yet made one myself (but will be in the future - my friends and I are planning on doing a number of the captains, and I've been elected to be Unohana), but they look fairly simple. My friend Chrissie (who cosplays as Soi Fong) simply painted on the designs for hers, though you could always applique them on if you were so inclined.

A wig for Soi Fong would also be pretty easy to make. Chrissie has a weird way of doing it that involves using both a wig and her real hair, but I think just going with a wig would be easier. Soi Fong has one of those impossibly full hairstyles - she's got a full head of short hair on top, but enough to create those tails with the loops as well. That's just better accomplished by using a short, flip-style wig with extensions added to the bottom of the back.

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
  • Life is a bazooka.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:48:55 AM »
thanks thanks for your advice!

I'm already working on it, checking ebay and google for the outfit details.
I would like to make the shinigani kimono  and the outer cloak by myself but I don't know a lot about those clothes:
what kind of tissue do I need? where to find it?
how to make the "plan" for making the outfit?

ps: no worry for technical elements to do, my aunt and mother will help me. But ONLY for the technical elements because I want to do it by myself as long as I can.

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
  • Life is a bazooka.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 05:07:33 AM »
I have found some links....
but I have problems because I don't know exactly what wears Soi: is that Shinigami hakama or a Shinigami haori? what is the difference between them?

http://nantalith.googlepages.com/shinigamihakama2

Offline Demi

• new vogue child
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:22:38 AM »
I guess let me start by defining the basic terms:

Kimono - Japanese robes. I think we all know what these are.

Yukata - summer robes, usually made of cotton or other light materials.

Haori - a short kimono, usually worn over the top of a kimono or yukata. The closest example in anime I can think of off the top of my head is that light blue one Megumi Takani has in Rurouni Kenshin. You can get away with making haori instead of kimono for a shinigami costume (I should know, I did it), but it shifts around more and it's more likely to bunch up around the top of your legs when you move.

Hakama - Japanese "skirt-pants". Samurai pants, if you will. The big pleated pants with slits on the side.

So the outfit of your basic shinigami consists of a kimono (actually 2 if you count the liner - if you notice in the anime, the white lining goes all the way up the sleeves and only pokes out from the top of the collar. This indicates that there is a full white kimono underneath the black one) and hakama.

Another thing to remember when making kimono - there should always be a seam up the back. It seems like a good thing to just skip over by cutting out your pieces of fabric on a fold, but it is part of Japanese mythology to have it there, and every Japanese kimono has it. It's something about keeping demons away, but it's been a while since I read up on it.

By the way, I checked out that link you used. If you want to go for accuracy instead of speed, DO NOT USE THAT SITE AS A GUIDE. Except maybe for the pants. The way it has you make the haori is horrible.

Aaaaanyway, in terms of materials:

I like to use heavy cottons for my costumes. Given the option, I plan on making my Unohana costume from either twill or polished cotton, because those are my favorite fabrics to use. They hold up extremely well, and with interfacing, can take on any shape you want. (Use interfacing, by the way. It is your friend. Sorry I don't know the terms in French.) Besides, there is a great fabric shop downtown where I can get twill for $3 a yard and polished cottons for $4 a yard. Which is much better than the suburb fabric stores, where twill is $8 a yard and polished cottons are $10 and up.

I am not sure what pattern companies you have in France, but I believe you can order patterns from the companies I am familiar with online, and I think they come with directions in French and Spanish in addition to English. The companies I usually use are McCall's, Simplicity, Butterick and Vogue. The first three have some simply fantastic kimono patterns depending on your needs. Simplicity has my favorite ones, though. If you're interested and can't order patterns from them online and are comfortable giving out your address to me, I can pick up some next time patterns go on sale cheap and mail them to you. (Every couple of months one or the other of the fabric stores near me sells one brand of patterns for $1 each, as opposed to the usual, oh, $17. It's really nice, and that's when I stock up on the patterns I've been wanting.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:32:23 AM by Demi »

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 12:39:12 PM »
Hey Co did you save the one I showed you ?

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
  • Life is a bazooka.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »
thanks for the very useful and detailed info, Demi!

so far I need to make: a kimono, the white cape named Haori and the pants named Hakama.
Could you tell me if those are the same elements on those pics please, so I can have a general idea of it.

I don't know if those outfits models are the same as the shinigani outfit you described so well. Those pics only help me to have a general view of it lol

Then, a simple question: how many yards are necessary for the outfit?
(i'm only 1.65 meter lol).
I'll check local pattern sellers, so far, no French oen satisfied me on web. Thanks for your help and your offer, I really appreciate it.

ps: hasitha, here is the outfit number 2
Bellandy from oh my goddess
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:44:12 PM by corycaly »

Offline Demi

• new vogue child
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 02:11:19 PM »
You are correct as to what pieces are needed. For the basic shinigami outfit (the black stuff), you'll need about 8 yards (7.3 meters) of material. At least. You can make a kimono from 5 yards if you lay it out carefully, and hakama require 3 at the minimum. The haori will need probably 3 yards or more on its own, as well. Always round up when estimating fabric usage - it is better to have a bunch of extra left over than to run short near the end of your project. (If you think 8 yards of fabric is a lot, you're mistaken - my Rosebride gown has 16 yards in it, and, all told, Tenshi-sama has around 30.)

Belldandy's outfit would be a lot more difficult for a beginner. You are not likely to find a pre-made trim with all those little triangles on it, so imagine cutting that out by hand and sewing it down. Detail work like that suuuuucks unless you have tons of patience and are willing to redo it over and over until it looks its best. Flowing outfits like hers are harder to make because you have to have some degree of experience with how fabric drapes. The white part looks like it should be made from a double georgette or crepe material, something that's thin and will flow around but still hang really nicely. The blue could be anything, really, but stay away from shinier satins, they look awful in photos, and are rarely made of fibers that you can press. (Melting part of your costume with an iron is not fun, btw.) Besides that, cheap shiny satins are very likely to snag, and it's very obvious if there are any problems with the grain of the material. A lot of people jump for satin because it's not a material they usually wear and they associate it with elegance. But when it only costs a couple of dollars a yard, there is a reason. XD If you insist on using satin, go with the more expensive bridal satins. They will hold up better, be easier to work with, and just look much more refined.

Also, ironing/pressing is part of basic costume care. There should never be a time when you put on a costume for an event without ironing it first.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:14:01 PM by Demi »

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
  • Life is a bazooka.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 12:56:53 PM »
thanks again for this info. I will focus first on the shinigani outfit.
I'm checking for pattern sellers!

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
  • Life is a bazooka.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog

Offline Demi

• new vogue child
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 06:27:13 PM »
That Simplicity pattern you linked to is my favorite kimono in the world. :3 :3 :3

I used that pattern for my green and pink kimono, and also for several costumes. A shortened version became Haku, I used it for my Shinigami robes, and an altered and lengthened version became Tenshi-sama from Grenadier. My roommate also modified that pattern for Touka from Grenadier.

The two costumes on the right were made using it:

It might have been used in an altered form to make the costume that's second from the left too, but I had no part in making that and I can't remember. XD

And here's an okay shot of my kimono, sadly, the only one I have:

I <3 mah giant silk cord.

It's a very easy to use pattern, and looks gorgeous. The only difficult thing is the obi (you have to use boning and such), but you won't need to do that for a Shinigami costume.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:32:17 PM by Demi »

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
  • Life is a bazooka.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
I'll try to buy the simplicity pattern if it's in French version lol
Should I make the model with short arms parts or the one from your pictures?

Offline Demi

• new vogue child
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 12:33:32 AM »
You'll need to shorten the arms for a Shinigami costume.