April 18, 2024, 05:43:41 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Practice for both ARTISTS and WRITERS!!  (Read 23697 times)

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
Practice for both ARTISTS and WRITERS!!
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:02:34 PM »
Well, this workshop is for both artists and writers to practice their art/writing skills.
Basicaly, here's how it works:
1-Someone writes a short BATTLE scene ( 2 pages of drawing at MAX). It doesn't have to be in script form, it should just be clear as to what's happening.
Example: Person A gets kicked into the air. Person B flies after him and kicks him down. But person A counters before reaching the ground etc..

2-Artists will submit their names if they wish to participate. Artists will have 2 days to submit their names and join the workshop. ( the 2 days start counting once the battle scene is posted. Though you can still sign in before the scene is posted too)). Once 2 days pass, the contest will start. The artists will try to turn the battle scene into a couple manga pages, using whichever characters and backgrounds they want. ( characters HAVE TO BE ORIGINAL). Each battle scene contest will last 5 days. Once the 5 days are over, and the pages are submitted, the winner will be chosen based on votes. Anyone on the site can vote.

Extra Rules:
-The drawings, characters and backgrounds have to be 100% original, not copied or traced. Thats the point of the workshop after all, to turn us into better original artists.
-The maximum number of manga pages is 2 per each battle scene, so artists and writers, watch out.
-Again, 2 days for name submission once the battle scene is written.
-5 days for the art to be drawn and submitted.

PARTICIPANTS:
-DBNext
-KagePen
-AldrichCrescent
-Roshon21
-Keilanify
-Jack Melancholy
-Ryan
-Zealapeal
-FlossAndChaos
-

WRITERS:
1-Takeo
2-Kelianify
3-Paipis Panella
4-

Feel free to ask any questions
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:31:19 PM by DBNext »

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
Re: Practice for both ARTISTS and WRITERS!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »
Sugoi desu!!! :sheep: I want to join but at the moment, because I'm in the middle of moving, I can't find the cables for my scanner! :push:
Will it be okay if I use my phones camera? If so, sign me up! ^^

Some Q's: Will writers be coming up with chara's or is that left to the artist?
Also, wouldn't it be better if the writers describe a little more than just " person A kicks person B" e.g " Person A violently thrusts his right leg up towards person B's face, hitting him directly in the joint between his ear and jaw with the tip of his boot causing person B's jaw to shatter and his eyes to glare with intense pain as person A omniously grins with satisfaction." That way its more fair to the artist :ninja: Plus the writer will prove his skill this way  ;)

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
Sounds like a fun little excercise! I can't do anything for about the next two weeks until classes get out, but I'd love to participate afterwards.

One question, though: Are all of the artists going to be drawing from one scene, or is everybody taking different scenes?

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:14:09 PM »
Oh this sounds nice... i need the practice :D

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »
Sugoi desu!!! :sheep: I want to join but at the moment, because I'm in the middle of moving, I can't find the cables for my scanner! :push:
Will it be okay if I use my phones camera? If so, sign me up! ^^

Some Q's: Will writers be coming up with chara's or is that left to the artist?
Also, wouldn't it be better if the writers describe a little more than just " person A kicks person B" e.g " Person A violently thrusts his right leg up towards person B's face, hitting him directly in the joint between his ear and jaw with the tip of his boot causing person B's jaw to shatter and his eyes to glare with intense pain as person A omniously grins with satisfaction." That way its more fair to the artist :ninja: Plus the writer will prove his skill this way  ;)
Yeah its okay if you use the camera, just make sure the picture is clear. I myself dont own a scanner and use a camera most of the time XD Signed you up! As for your questions:
Writers won't come up with characters, thats to the artist to determine. If the artist doesn't own any original characters, he/she could make one up. Doesn't have to be a detailed character, just to serve the scene. The artist will be judged based on the scene, poses, pannel placement, anatomy, use of perspective, etc... It doesnt matter if his/her characters are good or bad looking.
As for the second question, well, that's not the point of the workshop. If the writer described every single thing that happened, then the artist would have no freedom whatsoever, and all the submissions would be the same. The point is for the artist to translate the written scene into a drawing in the best way possible he can think of. Infact its best if the writer was very vague, giving the artists even more freedom.

@Nairbons:
Yeah, all will be drawing the same scene, and the best interpretation will win.

@Aldrich:
Well cool, I signed you up! :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:56:04 AM by DBNext »

Offline Roshon21

• I will obey your every command. ._.
  • "If I am a "Robot," do I eat metal."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:04:29 AM »
ALRIGHTY Count Me In.  :santa:

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:34 AM »
K you're in!
Anyone can post a battle scene btw, doesnt need to be a talented writer. Its the only way the workshop will actually start  :push:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:38:31 AM by DBNext »

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
Oh I see, so since we are all doing the same scene its better to have a simple text so that works can have more uniqueness :smile: I didn't really know if we were all doing the same scene at first so I got a little confused :/ Gomeh! :push:

Offline Keilanify

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »
Despite my newby skills atm, I will join to help improve!! ^^ Add me to za roster plz!

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
Added

Offline Takeo

• That One Asian DJ
  • Yo! What's Happenin'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 02:52:48 PM »
Sweet. Count me in immediately. I pride myself on writing action scenes (as far as writing is concerned, that's the only thing I do very well, better than everything else).

If vague is what you want, though, then I don't mind. It'll help keep me sharp as a writer, that's for sure.

Again, count me in as a writer.

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 02:58:33 PM »
Wohoo we have our writer! :santa:

And congradz DB-san on getting 1000 posts ^^

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
Alright Takeo, you're the writer for the first challenge!
Feel free to write the scene anytime. Remember, it should translate into 1 or 2 pages of drawing, no more.
@Kagepen thanks, didnt notice it XD

Offline Jack Melancholy

• That one guy from that one place you heard of that one time.
  • This is my personal text. IT'S MINE AND MINE ALONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »
:ninja:
I so want to do this~ And just to double check. The MAX pages able to be drawn is two(2) correct? And do we need backgrounds, or is our choice on that?

Offline Keilanify

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »
Oh, oh, could I help write?

I'm working on a manga page for something else atm, so I could hop in later for art. But writing would be less stressful for me at thecurrent time :)