December 02, 2020, 03:57:46 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Echo Archives  (Read 80047 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Echo Archives
« Reply #615 on: October 10, 2020, 10:48:13 AM »
I concur Echo. As far as your test pages are concerned and world building, you're definitely at the brink of being ready for manga, whenever you feel like it haha. I'd definitely love to see it!

Offline Notívago

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 13, 2020, 12:02:40 PM »
Thanks, Notivago!
Ooph. Sad to say, I haven't had the courage to make that venture yet. I've done little pages here and there, but in terms of creating a story, I'm more confident in writing than drawing lol. Thanks for your encouragement ^^

Perhaps I'm thinking too big. A one-shot might be a good place to start :)

I know how you feel... But you definitelly should try a oneshot. I'm kind of a perfectionist, i want my main manga to be flawless, so i'm constantly postponing it. To solve this, i just picked a secondary story i had "shelved" a year ago, and decided to work on it.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 13, 2020, 01:44:51 PM »
I'll tell you right now Noti, there's no one here who wouldn't say the same thing about themselves. Everyone wants their flagship to be perfect, but at least you're doing something in the meantime. Although remember that you can always do multiple drafts of a single project. With any story, you're going to find things to change after the first draft.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 15, 2020, 03:14:10 AM »
Yup same been shelving any good idea I had because of not wanting to ruin it completely.
Although having the general art skill helps I think in feeling the motivation and the confidence to get started.

In that regard I think you have a great style for a manga Echo :D
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Notívago

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 23, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »
I'll tell you right now Noti, there's no one here who wouldn't say the same thing about themselves. Everyone wants their flagship to be perfect, but at least you're doing something in the meantime. Although remember that you can always do multiple drafts of a single project. With any story, you're going to find things to change after the first draft.

I understand what you mean and i appreciate the incentive, but i really have "perfectionist problems", for example, even though everyone tells me that my werewolf drawings are already scary enough, i disagree and think that they don't look good enough for my main manga. Maybe working on a secondary comic would help me get over it.

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 24, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »
Thanks everyone QwQ Art wise, I think I'd be fine as well. It's just the planning and story I have no idea about. Most of my story ideas are at most half-complete. I'll have the general idea, but I feel like I'd be winging the dialogue and smaller details?? Do mangakas/webtoon artists have their whole story planned out before drawing? :confused: What if they want to change details partway?

While we're on the topic, I know a few artists whose style and skill improved due to their comic. Some actually revisit their first pages and update them. It's okay to be worried about not having the perfect style right at the beginning, and I'm telling that to myself as well, but don't let that stop you from creating something :dance:

Anyway, update --

Character casual outfit references. There are quite a few characters I struggle to draw and these are a couple of them.

Red hair - how to colour coordinate

Young kiddo - tried to keep it simple but not bland
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline Suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 25, 2020, 06:07:59 AM »
I'll have the general idea, but I feel like I'd be winging the dialogue and smaller details?? Do mangakas/webtoon artists have their whole story planned out before drawing? :confused: What if they want to change details partway?
Yup this is a fair portion of the worry I face, especially as an inexperienced writer. I get the feeling that there comes a natural trade off where you spend more and more time developing smaller and smaller details until you say "I could be doing this while actually drawing the manga", and that will vary person to person.

To be honest there's a similar issue with inking art- at what point is the undersketch detailed or accurate enough to ink over the top? Depending on your target quality, the difficulty of the individual piece, and your own skill, there is a lot of variance. At the unskilled/cautious side, someone would draw every single detail perfectly in pencil first before inking it all, and on the other skilled/confident side, someone would only need a few rough pencil lines and basically ink without anything set in pencil.

I know a few artists whose style and skill improved due to their comic. Some actually revisit their first pages and update them. It's okay to be worried about not having the perfect style right at the beginning
This is almost unavoidable since output automatically leads to experience which typically leads to improvement. It's one of the most annoying things that I fear happening to my art and partly why I try so hard to aim at consistency with my work. Also it's the reason that I will be doing a throwaway project first because there is so much to learn while actually executing the project that you couldn't possibly know beforehand, like how difficult certain things are to draw, panel composition, typesetting dialog etc. It's impossible to know it all before you start.

Lovely characters - I like how the hair matches the outfit too!
That's some very unusual names, what was the inspiration for them?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:11:09 AM by Suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline Notívago

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 27, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »
Starting a short comic must be the best way to improve, but everytime i try to write a oneshot, the plot just goes beyong 60 pages.  :-\
And as for my main manga, i'm constantly changing stuff when i'm writing, and just recently i decided to cut a lot of content for the sake of pacing. Being a comic artist is harder than it appears.

Nice Drawings BTW

Offline Suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 27, 2020, 02:03:47 PM »
same all my stories are very long plots, it's hard to have a short self contained story :D

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 27, 2020, 02:38:47 PM »
Starting a short comic must be the best way to improve, but everytime i try to write a oneshot, the plot just goes beyong 60 pages.  :-\

Nice Drawings BTW
Thanks~! Also - Same on the length!! Especially in writing, I struggle to do short stories and flash fiction. That story dun wanna stay short, it wants to grow. It wants to rule a world :ninja:

This here is one of my favourite short comics, called "Fishy Business": https://tapas.io/episode/1415370
So much you can tell in so little pages...

At the unskilled/cautious side, someone would draw every single detail perfectly in pencil first before inking it all, and on the other skilled/confident side, someone would only need a few rough pencil lines and basically ink without anything set in pencil.
The latter would be my dream TwT I've had to do both and it's often reliant on how well I can see the end result in my mind. If I can't see it, I'll be sketching that part several times. Though I mess up lots trying to ink without a good sketch haha.

Also it's the reason that I will be doing a throwaway project first because there is so much to learn while actually executing the project that you couldn't possibly know beforehand, like how difficult certain things are to draw, panel composition, typesetting dialog etc. It's impossible to know it all before you start.
AH. You reminded me of my first trial comic. (I was going to post it here but the forum doesn't take well to long scrolly comics and I couldn't increase the panel size!) The scroll layout is so different from the standard comic format as it's catered towards mobile readers and you have to take into account what they see at the moment on their screen... I feel like it was easier to link speech bubbles while showing images. There's a lot of freedom and creativity you can do with the scrolling. But idk, I'm endeared to the good ole' page flipping X'3 Which format to do...

Lovely characters - I like how the hair matches the outfit too!
That's some very unusual names, what was the inspiration for them?
Thanks suuper! I created these characters a long time ago, so I can't remember if I had any specific inspiration for the names. If I recall correctly... my method back then was choosing a letter and then rolling random sounds off my tongue Xp Actually, they had different names before - Kara and Nick. For my story I wanted more fantasy-ish names though and changed them.

Here's another reference. This is Nakaja's uncle:

Offline Suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 15, 2020, 09:04:39 AM »
The latter would be my dream TwT I've had to do both and it's often reliant on how well I can see the end result in my mind. If I can't see it, I'll be sketching that part several times. Though I mess up lots trying to ink without a good sketch haha.
yup 100% with you on that, would be rgeat to not need many guidelines. I do have a project that I do occasionally in which I sketch without using guidelines, and you really start to work through layering your idea and working out which lines to draw first, especially if you are kinda winging it for the design.
Funny you should mention seeing it in your mind, as something that I'm going to try more often, especially while travelling, is to make up designs in my head and work out the initial guidelines and proportions that I would lay down if I were to draw it in real life.

AH. You reminded me of my first trial comic.
Sounds interesting! Would totally be great to see it, even if it doesn't quite work on the forum!
(If you had issues editing sizes, maybe I can give some help?)
my friend reads manga on his phone and I've been wondering how to make a "small" manga, like a cross between a manhua and a comic strip instead of solid panelled pages.

Random sounds is just as good for naming as any other in my opinion :D

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 21, 2020, 10:46:31 PM »
Sounds interesting! Would totally be great to see it, even if it doesn't quite work on the forum!
(If you had issues editing sizes, maybe I can give some help?)
my friend reads manga on his phone and I've been wondering how to make a "small" manga, like a cross between a manhua and a comic strip instead of solid panelled pages.

Ohh thanks. I'll send it to you. It might be the canvas size...
There's a comic with a style I really like in regards to panels. I thought it was strange at first and a bit disorientating, but it grew on me eventually. It's called "The White Queen" or "The 100 Worlds".
Here's a link, if you'd like to take a look at it. It's on Webtoon: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/the-white-queen-or-the-100-worlds-18/list?title_no=147903&page=15

Update ---
Art this month has been slow, but I've managed to do a couple digital things. Recently, it feels tough to draw digitally? It's that disconnect again.

Practice headshot of Nanik in SAI.

This was a practice drawing in CSP. My character, Demon.
I'm not as familiar with the program and its features, though I've heard it's pretty good. With some help from Bobby, I got a better feel of it and some of the tools. I'm quite happy with this one ^^

Offline KatDeMilo

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 25, 2020, 12:29:25 AM »
I use Clip Studio Paint (if that's what you mean by CSP) :)  Have for many years now. It is wonderful, would not trade for the world & I have used them all.

& Lovely art, I use any excuse to draw rain xD
MissKatMilo

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 26, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »
Yep, Clip Studio Paint :) Oooh, I'd love to see your art if you're okay with sharing it.

And thank you! Rain creates such a mood ^^

Offline KatDeMilo

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 27, 2020, 05:26:40 AM »
It's a fantastic program *u*

Ah I'll watch you on DA :) I like not having any pressure of being bad or good at art on here and the chance to just talk about it ;u; its a happy feeling. Plus I've never drawn the popular stuff xD maybe not yet.
MissKatMilo