June 21, 2018, 05:47:15 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Dark Peak  (Read 4384 times)

Online legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Dark Peak
« on: March 29, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »
~ The Sad Hero only wishes to waste away on a hill next to his broken sword, having given up on absolutely anything at all. However, he is suddenly cursed by a strange golden egg, and while it doesn't seem to be doing anything at the moment, he knows it's only a matter of time before he is thrown into some sort of adventure. He immediately searches for a way to get rid of the tattoo to avoid this. However...

/DARK PEAK/

Someone lies in long grass. If it wasn't for his long frame and the giant sword that pressed the grass into the ground besides him, he would be completely invisible. As it was, he was barely even there as a presence, as thin and silent as he was.
     The idyllic landscape was disturbed only by gentle slopes and the bright colours of the giant pink mushrooms. The occasional wind turned the grass in silent waves.
     The someone felt like he could lie there forever. In fact he planned to... He had already been there for a day and hadn't moved an inch. The rain from the previous night was still drying off him. His hands behind his head, he kept on breathing slowly. Peacefully.
     This is it. I will sleep like this forever. Sleep and sleep...
     ... and sleep... until the sleeping is done...
     The music was quiet at first, subdued. It blended well with the scenery and he had nothing to do with it. The pitch picked up however, and the undeniable warm feeling that rushed across him spoke that some sort of enchanted object was coming his way.
     Victor opened his eyes. Even despite his day long sleep he could move his muscles freely. He didn't bother changing his position, staring at nothing as his ears analyzed the situation. He closed them again even though the music was picking up, hoping it would pass.
     The music was a cheery, melodic tune. And it kept on getting louder. He couldn't deny it anymore, whatever it was  was heading straight for him.
     Victor sat upright. Grass stuck to his hair as he looked around. He was tall enough to clear the tall grass and he only had a second to spot the floating golden egg before it was upon him.
     "What?"
     It hovered around him, and he followed it with quick movements like he was dodging a mosquito. Finally, before he could react it slammed straight into his right shoulder, searing him with a burning pain.
     "Oof!" Startled, he was shoved back into the grass. He grabbed at his shoulder and rolled around, trying to toss away the egg. But nothing of the sort was happening.
     "Ach!" He stood up and frantically brushed at his shoulder, but there was no point. The egg had embedded itself into his skin. No - embedding was the wrong word. Where the golden egg had impacted was now a golden tattoo. It bore the image of the egg, with two small angel wings growing around it. Under this tatoo was a foreign alien language he couldn't read.
     There was nothing else apart from the burning pain on the skin. Even that faded away.
     "What in the world?" Victor stared at it. He stayed like that for a long time and sighed a long deep sigh. He stared upwards at the sky,
     "Can't i just atrophy in peace? I've done enough, right?"
     The heavens were silent.

Victor leaned over and picked up the giant sword. Well, it was mostly a giant sword. It was snapped off at it's middle. The stone like visage with rune markings ended with a jagged edge. Despite his thin frame Victor seemed to have no problem hoisting it and walking with it towards the only landmark in the distance. A castle.
     It wasn't grand by normal standards, but obviously a castle. Its overall shape was short and squat. There were old battlements blackened with soot, and 4 giant pots set on each wall. The wear was mostly from age rather than war.
     No guards were in the watch towers. They were long gone. So were all the people who originally inhabited the place. Victor walked over a haphazard path of stones to cross the moat since the drawbridge was destroyed. Circumventing the main entrance, he walked along the edge of the wall, until he finally found the portion he wanted. He stabbed his half-sword into the grass and proceeded to lift away some parts of the rock. One... two... three huge slabs of rock were set aside, and Victor stepped in. He replaced the heavy stones and continued into the compound.
     The streets and pathways were silent. Hedged in by empty houses. There was barely any stone anywhere, and even the neat cobblestone path that begun at the castle area was coated with dust.
     Victor made it through the empty gates, ignoring the lavish design and the decorative greenery. He made it into the cool shade of the castle, entering the middle building.
     The castle was quite expressive. Not a single space was wasted. Arts and crafts in all shapes and sizes, ranging from portraits to golden suits of Armour populated the palace. The floor was made of reflective marble that managed to maintain a sheen even though everything was covered in dust. The walls were never simply flat, instead bearing intricate markings and calculated depressions.
     The place was as silent as a crypt, and Victor's footsteps echoed loudly everywhere as he headed for the library.
     The library had around 20 book shelves. They were all dark looking books, which was a correct look for them. All the books in this library were mostly books of dark magic. It would take some time to research them. If Reichstein were here...
     Victor wondered where that old fart was now. Probably as lost as he was.
     He remembered he's final sarcastic words: "You won't make it, Victor. With the amount of work you put into becoming a hero, suddenly dissapearing and dying a quiet death is impossible. Destiny will find you."
     "Wanna bet?" Victor had replied then. He had set aside his blade and lied in the grass. That had meant to be the end of it all. The end of his long toilsome journey.
     But now this tatoo was burnt into him, and he just knew something or someone would come after him sooner or later. If he didn't move now, Reichstein's prediction would be right, and he hated it more than anything when that old man got the better of him.
     Reichstein had left him a trunk. 'For when it finally catches up to you' It taunted, with a crudely drawn caricature of Victor on its face. No, rather it was a highly detailed charicature. 'Drawing ability is important for magic'. Reichstein always said. Of course it sounded like simple sound advice for everyday use, but the level to which the man could do it was truly astounding. He could draw complicated sigils in 3 seconds flat. He was a legend for a good reason. He's superhuman drawing ability was even enough to guarantee him to be dangerous enough against most people in hand to hand combat.
     Victor snorted at the note and opened up the trunk. He knew what was inside. The old man always insisted that Victor learnt more magic to his base fighting strength. If he needed something to get rid of his curse, he'd need this trunk.
     He tried to peruse some of the books for a quick hint to help with his curse, but it was too complicated for him to do in one go. He wasn't a stranger to learning and training, but that would be a problem. He wanted to solve this as soon as possible. If he trained, he would have to live very long.
     "I'll need a mage to help decipher this-" He stopped and held his face in the palm of his hand.
     "So that's the way it is huh... bastard." Reichstein's comment still held strength. Either he trained or he travelled to find someone to help, which meant going to town. This would clearly put him at risk in being drawn into adventure.
     "I'm not going to let that happen." Victor muttered, shutting the trunk and hoisting it on his back. The analogy that would make the best sense was that he looked like an ant carrying a large boulder. The thin and almost skeletal frame of the teenaged boy didn't look like it'd be able to handle such a heavy looking trunk, but he hoisted it over his shoulder simple enough. The heavy sword he held one handed with his left arm.
     "Off... to my last... Travel..." He hated to say adventure.
     He grit his teeth. "I swear it will be the last."
     His tattoo stung a little and he sighed again, walking out of the silent and empty castle.

-continued-

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Peak
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »
Beautiful, although a little quick( I suppose it is a short story though). Anything inspire you to this?
Light novel guildsmen, Click here

Offline Tostificer

• Lord Conqueror Toast
  • Bigger they come, harder they fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
I have no clue what is going on, which is good because now I want to know what will happen next. Please write more Lego
Bros with Legomaestro since 2010. I think.

Online legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »
Thanks toasty. I'm really worried i'm not communicating enough, but i'll keep on writing this way. I have some more. I'll refine it and post it later.

@ Dark was inspired by the end of some dream i'd written down long ago (i saw a golden floating egg that played music flying over some valley) and the song Venus by H.I.M. It's going to be a short story of about 5-7000 words... I'm glad you like it

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »
Anything strange is going to attract me. Right now I'm working on bi-pedal badger pirate warriors, so good luck  :tongue:

Online legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 07:16:14 PM »
bi-pedal badger pirate warriors? I must see that.

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »
Lol, I'm still working on it but I made a poem and you can see the first paragraph or so on my writing topic:
http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,7702.0.html

Offline Chelleka

• Aspiring Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 01:34:39 AM »
Wow...this is...wow! I'm too tired to actually fully appreciate the quality of your writing but I'll reread it in the morning for sure! *o*

Online legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 02:06:16 AM »
Thanks a lot for that. hope you enjoy it when you do.

Online legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »
Is 8000 words too much for the anthology?

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »
I wouldn't think so, but it's at least a couple a4 pages, so I think you'd have to use a small font.

Online legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »
Got it. I'm done typing the story. I'll post my first draft tomorrow.

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 04:04:24 PM »
Cool, looking forward to it.

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 06:22:01 AM »
OMOSHIROI! :D aka its super interesting :biggrin: And very well written, I'm definitely looking for to more! :biggrin:

Online legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »
Thanks Kage!

The nearest town was a good 3 days walk away. Because he was moving around after sleeping for so long his legs were aching for action. Literally. He hadn’t reached that point of no return yet, and slowly smells and taste were returning to his vision, followed by sound and then colour. He still felt like there was a muffler over his ears and that what he saw was all grays, but soon he would be wide awake again.
     The 3 day walk would be a piece of cake. In his more… active days he had ran an entire week to the final battle field, the same battle where his sword would get broken in half...
     The same battle field where I became alone. Victor added. He shook his head and walked even faster. He desperately wanted to get this done and over with.
     The only thing he could be thankful for was that he was still dazed and confused from sleeping so long, so the hours slipped by uneventfully enough.  The scenery changed from the free green grass and pink mushrooms to the subdued browns and greens of farmed land that was growing wheat.  The nearest town, being one of the only three on this island was the port town Delmaza. It was nicknamed 'the only town around' or 'footstool of dreams' because firstly, it really was the only civilization around for this large yet empty backwater island. (The other two were ruins.)
     It had once been under the rule of the monarch of the castle some centuries ago, but it fell against a revolt. Over the next couple of decades the island soon became the optimum spot for people to both finish their journeys or to begin them. It attracted all kinds of people.
     The ‘footstool of dreams’ connonation came from the fact that the families that were native to the place were of famous blood. It  was almost a ritual where they produced children who would become legends within their generation. So far, except in a few odd cases for the smaller native families, the trend hadn’t been broken.
     In the blink of an eye, three days had passed, but by then Victor could feel the heat of the sun, he could hear the bustle of the city and the pang in his stomach from hunger. Let alone the burning muscle pain in his feet. Painting as he lay down the heavy trunk and stabbed the sword into the ground, he surveyed the scene before him: He was at Delmaza.
     Victor hadn't expected to see the place ever again. It took some time to reorganize his thoughts. He hoped that it was the last time he looked at the town like this. He wanted to return to nothingness as soon as he could.
     No. Wanted was the wrong word to use. He had no more desires anymore.

Victor made it into the town. Even the farmland  feel had long since vanished, and now there was the salty smell of the sea and the cold bite of its winds. Ocean air. The waters seemed to be a bit restless today, so that even the noon sun was a bit subdued.
     Delmaza’s living population was around 500. On this special island, it served as the main hub of the island. Each of the families that took up residence here were mostly from the distinguished families from the past kingdom. From what Victor had heard, the original king Hero of Light Kageru had conquered a piece of this island and settled with his remaining acquaintances.
     His kingdom consisted of the soldiers who had survived the wars and their families; he's ancestors from their home village and of course the love of his life Iron Queen Armani. With the island's distance and the knowledge of the sheer power the people held, it was finally found out that no one would bother their peace, at least, that is, until the revolution. Two towns were destroyed as a result of the revolution, and centuries later the descendants of those people lived in this place. The legends that were known for all sorts of goods or evils across the world came here for various reasons, the chief one being rest and recuperation. Truly, it was amazing how no major conflicts occured.
     There was some sort of silent agreement that whatever happened on the outside world, did not come on to the island. Victor knew for one that Reichstein's mortal enemy had once come to the island while he was there, but none of them even acknowledged the other's presence. This was the kind of island that this place was.
     It wasn’t hidden history, but no one knew about these truths if they didn’t look for it. In any case those who knew and came to the island did so with a lot of effort, since it was very far from the mainland. Victor only knew of it because of Reichstein’s relentless story telling.
     Delmaza had a mix of people. While there were many fishermen and other sorts of menial labourers, they were all wealthy people. The shops were exotic and well kept, each boasting the amount of years they had been in business. Victor only knew five major families that dominated the market, but in the end the entire community was made up distinguished bloodlines. The King Kageru Hiroaki was someone Victor had modelled himself after, originally at least – in his younger brighter years.
     Troublesome thoughts are already starting to come to me. Victor thought. He hadn't thought about The Hero of Light in a long, long time.
     Jackals Den. That was Victor's destination. It was one of the best bars, set in the middle of the township. He navigated the dusty walk ways, hardly drawing attention despite his broken sword and the heavy trunk he carried. The others were far more mysterious and intriguing. The general clothing wear was a travelling cloak with a hood, but there were odd one outs – half-giants, beast men, gaudily dressed wizards or knights. Now that he thought of it Victor had chosen the worst possible day to get cursed by whatever he had been hit with. Most of the people had decided to visit the town at the same time as he did. The port town was in full swing.
     Jackals Den finally stood before him in a relatively large space. Compared to the other buildings this was the ugliest looking place, but perhaps the most down-to-earth. It was chiefly made with dark timber and seemed dusty. It’s plank sign hung at a poor angle, put up with wooden pegs. However its service was good and the interior was cool, dark and spacious.
     Due to the anonymity that the island demanded, bars in the town were usually just places to pass by and get a quick drink or meal, but the Jackal's Den brought up the prospect of the island residents actually actively engaging each other in conversation. Of course this meant that once in a while bitter enemies would acknowledge each other’s presence and begin a death match, but that rarely happened. Not even Reichstein tried to exploit that, as sneaky a man as he was.
     Victor was counting on this. Now that he thought of it, an up side of many residents being in town this day meant that at the very least he was going to meet a magic user. And being here in the island meant you were talented, no matter what you did. Of course, unless you were one of those children of the families about to set off on an adventure. Victor didn’t expect to meet any of those in The Den. It was not a place for beginners.
     Victor walked up the creaking steps and stopped on the threshold.
     Darn. Forgot to get my money. He thought.
     He looked at his blade.
     Maybe i'll just hand this in instead?  But that thought disappeared harshly and he never brought it up again.
     Victor entered the bar and immidiately found himself a place. It was cool inside and a light fruity beer smell was prevalent in the air. Victor was even more surprised at how many people were in here. He estimated aout 50 patrons this time around, and the darkness inside was thick enough to warrant some candles being lit around some of the tables. Most of them seemed to be deep in conversation, whilst others were laid back chatting about various matters. There was a strange blend of secretive silence and merry making. What was happening today?
     No matter. Victor walked towards the bartender. He set the heavy trunk next to his stool and ordered some water.
     The bartender looked at him.
     "Victor..." The bearded man began. He couldn't believe his eyes.
     Victor just looked back, "Yes. It's me. You’re… Bax right? Don't be so surprised."
     "But..." The bartender just stared. He shook his head and shakily poured out some beer and handed it over to Victor. Victor looked at it,
     "Water please." He said.
     "Ah- sorry." He corrected the mistake, handing in ... a beer again. Victor sighed,
     "What’s wrong with you? Aren’t you the calmest barman in the south?”
     "The only one in the south.” Bax grinned, but he quickly returned to his revering mood, “Even if you say that." He clasped Victor's free hand, "I can’t believe you’re here. Reichstein told me you were… gone for good I thought you’d never be seen again. You never even came for a drinking party after all that business with Arctus-"
     “Bax”
     “Oh for Varlo’s sake, you saved the world! You defeated the dark king Arctus and you-”
Victor pulled away roughly, "Bax. Stop. Nothing changes here and that’s all history and everyone who fought is dead. Leave it be.”
     “It’s a pity about your friend Victor but-“
     “I've just got a problem that interferes with my sleep. I'm still done. I am just a ghost now."
Bax studied him, then he nodded as he closed his eyes, "I see... The Sad Hero huh… It’s not that I blame you, what you went through…”
     Victor stared at him sharply. Bax held up his hands in apology,
     “I don’t blame you at all. Well... even if you’re still planning on wasting away, i'm glad i could see you again. It’s always a treat for a bored bartender.”
     "... I'm looking for a magic user."
     "Eh!?" Bax was taken aback. He was known to be a loud bartender so not many eyes turned. He leaned in, "First you say you’re the same as before but you’re looking for a partner? You're going on an adventure somewhere!" Bax seemed overjoyed, confused and accusing at the same time.
Victor waved it away and showed him his right shoulder. Bax looked at the golden glowing tatoo.
     "What's that?"
     "That's what i want to know. When i was at the castlea glowing egg floated over and sunk in my shoulder. Now it's like this. I'm assuming it’s a curse. But nothing bad has happened yet and I can’t feel anything suspicious. Anyways if it got past Dawneater’s magical defense runes it's definitely high level magic, and it’s probably something that will attract trouble or get me into it, and that's directly against my plans. I need it gone, so I need a magic user."
     Bax looked confused, "Why didn't you just go to a magic shop?"
     "For one thing. I have no money."
     Bax nodded, "Say no more. I think that explains everything from this point on.”
     Delamaza had an idyllic look, but if it wasn’t food or other utility items for daily use, it was usually something very expensive. That was never a problem for its native habitants. Victor had refused to take a single iota of wealth he had amassed on the mainland however.
     "Hmph. Reichstein does mention a lot that you should learn more magic. You could’ve solved this yourself."
     "That walking relic talks too much. Magic isn't that easy to learn along with combat skills you know. Everyone has their own specialty.”
     "Well... normal people... for a Sword Saint like you however..."
     "Stop it."
     There was silence. Victor broke it by kicking the trunk,  “I have he’s books here but I don’t have time to go through them.”
     “Victor, I'm sorry but i don't think you'll be going to that castle for a long time."
     Victor stared back at him. Bax didn’t flinch this time,
     "Coincidentally, there's been this over eager girl mage who wants to go on adventure.”
     “Who’s this?”
     “Millandria Rosella, she's the adopted daughter of the Rosella Magic shop. She’s just a young sap, but she's a genius and she's been coming to this bar looking for someone to team up with. That's the one i can recommend you meet, and probably the only one you'll be able to meet to be honest."
     “But she’s never actually gone anywhere before right?”
     “I’m telling you, she’s good.”
     “If she’s so good why hasn’t she found a partner already?”
     “Well… see for yourself, she's a bit- ah, here she comes right now." Bax chuckled, "I'm telling you Victor. Something is up with today. I doubt your chances of not being involved in anything."
     Victor turned around.
     The girl of interest was a teenager dressed in gaudy white robes with blue linings on the hems and sleeves. It looked like it was made of high-quality silk, and fit her neatly. It covered a lot of her form, and she had a hood up, but it was more of a decorative hood that was roomy and revealed lots of her face. She had ginger-red hair and her eyes were wide with the wonder and optimism of youth. She looked around the room, completely ignoring the solemn atmosphere and bellowed,
     "Round fourteen of Millandria’s super special offer! Let’s have it, you mysterious bunch of people, who wants to team up with me and GO ON AN ADVENTURE?"

- continued