March 29, 2024, 01:45:32 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's non-manga art  (Read 62441 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's non-manga art
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »
[Changed my mind and posted in my normal art topic]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 01:34:46 PM by Suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2020, 04:06:07 AM »
Well it took nearly a whole year instead of 2 months as planned, but in my defence I was doing fine until Corona hit and my regimes went out of whack.

I took my previously sketched hand poses and inked them all up.
512 hands.

Spoiler

Generally I think I have improved with my ability to draw hands but it doesn't really show, given that the last half of those hands were drawn 9 months after the first half. But I think I'm more confident drawing them, so that's something.

Moving forward I will regularly (like once a month) be doing a set of 100 inked hands, it's a good warmup regime and good grinding practice. I'm using a bit of a prompt for each row just to keep my brain whirring, like "open palm", or "half closed fist". I might also put badly drawn hands back in as WIPs to give them another shot at drawing them correctly.

Also just the latest page of 100 poses and 50 figure cleanup. I've done quite a few of these pages lately, it's been working well as a warmup.
Surprisingly it takes about 30 seconds for a pose concept and 45 seconds for a cleaned figure, but the quality difference between them is quite large. I think partly this is because I save time on the cleanup phase having an idea already there, so I spend the whole time on the figure itself, whereas on coming up with the pose idea, I spend more time thinking and pausing.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 04:32:56 AM by Suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2020, 03:53:48 PM »
Working on lots of stuff. See my (soon to be posted) main art thread for the whole story.

First of all, I've completed the first stage of my new figure regime: 1000 pose concepts. I'll be adding to this number regularly but 1000 was the main goal.

You can see the quality is very rough, but still clearly and distinctly represents a pose concept.
I wasn't rushing so it took 4 months. Timewise it only took about 6 hours.
Each row is a different random theme.
I tried a couple of styles but eventually settled on something that's quick and clear.

Spoiler

I've started a new regime, 1000 high level traced manga pages. It's a long term project due to the fact that it's taking like 45 minutes for each page. But I think it's really helping me to bridge the gap between my current skill and my target skill.
It's really training my inking skills above anything else I think, but it's also a good warmup because I don't need to think about anything because it's a trace.
I'm tracing my favourite style mangas, I've picked a bunch of random pages from about 20 favourite series.
I'm hoping it also trains my focus muscles for working on long term projects.
I'm at 22/1000 so far.
I'm happy with the quality so far but I'm aiming to get more accurate and also faster.
I'm averaging 38 minutes each so far, but I've not had too many "difficult" pages so far.

Spoiler

Also, I've started a new 1000 hands regime. I'm breaking it into 2 parts like my figure regime, first the concept on its own, and then a finishing project.
I'm using prompts to try and force myself to try out lots of different poses and not sit in my comfort zone too much.

100/1000 so far.

Spoiler

I'm pushing my core stability because I need to be able to quickly draw lots of poses and hands in my manga project, as well as ink at a reasonable pace to get the regular output we're aiming for.

onwards and upwards :P

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2021, 05:22:05 AM »
First set of inked hands
50/1000
I'm doing a fixing layer in between the concept (previous post) and the final inked. So far it's very 50/50 on quality. If you look at them zoomed out they are quite stable but zooming in, the fingers dont quite have that detail that I'd like. But for a first set at this level of detail I'm basically quite happy. If the hands in my manga came out just as good I'd be delighted :P

Also more resolved figures. 550/1000. It doesnt feel like I've really put much effort into it so to see the count at past the halfway point is a bit bizarre. Just goes to show little and often gets it done :P
Like a few of my projects now, I'm moving into a more definite solid line style, which is faster but also helps me to be more decisive with my lines and get away from the chicken scratching sketch style that I'm so fond of.

Traced manga pages.
30/1000
I really should be doing slightly more of these because it's really helping with improving my hand/eye coordination to the next level, as well as being relaxing as it's just tracing ahaha

Spoiler

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:23:18 AM by Suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2021, 04:03:06 AM »
End of month update

38/1000 Traced manga pages
I'm switching up the quality to focus more on speed, with the intention of developing a high speed high accuracy inking style.
Adjusting how my brain processes input/ouput to skip some internal processing steps. No idea if it will be successful but I have high hopes.

Spoiler

So far almost every page has taken less than an hour, and averaging about 45 minutes each, some take only 20-30 minutes. Obviously I'm tracing so a lot of the hard work has been done already but it goes to show how fast it's possible to move.

But let's talk about exceptions.

One Punch Man
Yusuke Murata is a beast. I have no idea how many people are involved in making a professional manga but IIRC typically a decent pro will have a couple of assistants at least, let alone editors and so on.

THIS PAGE.
This page took TWO HOURS, to TRACE at high speed. I cannot imagine how long it took to create from scratch. And I wasn't able to capture a lot of the style and small details, so really it's ridiculously amazing that I can't even trace it correctly.
That's the power of a pro.
Of course being so epicly pro it might not have taken as long as I did to trace it, but I sort of doubt that.

Inked Hands 150/1000
The project title is called "inked hands" but I've dropped the quality. This allows me to do two resolve layers instead of a resolve and an ink. Inking is basically just tracing and so all I was doing was carrying the errors forward. It's not helped too much but it gives me a chance to fix up the sketch twice and so hopefully the overall quality should be higher.

My guidelines when drawing hands have become sort of wobbly lately, I'm not sure if that's because I@m being lazy or trying to work too fast, or it's that my type of guidelines are changing and I'm just switching into a better method and gaining experience.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 04:06:17 AM by Suuper-san »

Offline sketch survival

• I'm Recovering
  • Alignment
    • View Profile
aspkfmsaom
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2021, 11:20:47 PM »
<frame> 230 lying #blank
   pic: 34  state: 14  wait: 30  next: 219  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0  centerx: 39  centery: 72  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
   wpoint:
      kind: 1  x: 35  y: 74  weaponact: 32  attacking: 0  cover: 0  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0
   wpoint_end:
   bdy:
      kind: 0  x: 21  y: 5418  w: 43  h: 62
   bdy_end:
<frame_end>

<frame> 231 lying #whyamifriendswithu
   pic: 44  state: 14  wait: 30  next: 219  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0  centerx: 39  centery: 75  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
   wpoint:
      kind: 1  x: 32  y: 74  weaponact: 24  attacking: 0  cover: 0  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0
   wpoint_end:
   bdy:
   bdy_end:
<frame_end>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=k-RVjI6VOWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=k-RVjI6VOWw

whatidsihfuashfisajdoisajdisap ccsioasiocsacsaec

<frame> 230 lying #atleajfimypcdidn'teexplode
   pic: 34  state: 14  wait: 30  next: 219  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0  centerx: 39  centery: 72  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
   wpoint:
      kind: 1  x: 35  y: 74  weaponact: 32  attacking: 0  cover: 0  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0
   wpoint_end:
   bdy:
   bdy_end:
<frame_end>

<frame> 231 lying #pccouldexplodegooejfgiodfjsapidjspads
   pic: 44  state: 14  wait: 30  next: 219  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0  centerx: 39  centery: 75  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
   wpoint:
      kind: 1  x: 32  y: 74  weaponact: 24  attacking: 0  cover: 0  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0
   wpoint_end:
   bdy:
   bdy_end:
<frame_end>
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 11:22:14 PM by Blank »
hiding who's going to coach me now?

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2021, 09:46:12 AM »
Been working on regimes slowly but I thought I'd finally tackle faces and shading once and for all as I still feel like I'm guessing all the time when colouring and shading. So a little of my time in my weekly schedule is going into face studies for the near future.

I managed to draw my first best portrait since forever. I was super proud of it the entire day.

Until drawing this one the next day. I was like wut... :P

Definitely had a breakthrough on shading and painting digitally I think, we'll see if I manage to do any more but it's a start to just have the one high quality piece. Still got proportions and minor issues all over the place to deal with but that'll come with time too. I sort of feel like I have a level 1 painting method now which is nice. We'll see if it helps with colouring and shading my own pieces but I'm hopeful :P

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2021, 01:13:26 PM »
Did another one. I'm deliberately leaving off the polishing stage since it not only takes a lot of time, but I think it's worth spending more time learning to get the base done more efficiently and correctly, than minor small adjustments and touch-ups.

Took 20 minutes so not too bad.

That's all I've done this month for regimes as I've been super busy with my writing projects :P
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 04:11:39 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2021, 03:25:36 PM »
Regimes are back full blast, more on that later.

Traced manga pages 46/1000

Couple of good ones:
Spoiler

Finally finished my first set of Manga Page Copies (Not Traced)
I'm only picking "easy" panels to copy at the moment while I build up experience to tackle harder panels, and eventually I'd like to copy full pages. The advantage of copying over tracing is, of course, you are learning a lot more about proportions and construction. But the tracing is good for learning coordination and line control.
I'm also taking the opportunity to play a little with tones and textures to try and recreate the original as best as I can with my own methods.

Some good ones:
Spoiler

And also finally finished a set of "Finalized Figures"
These differ from my normal figures in that they have a final body type, such as "thin girl", "muscular man" etc, and they are much more detailed and accurately drawn. I use a random prompt to give me the body type and I try and adjust the generic pose I have from my "Figure Cleanup" regime to make the final pose. It's very good for figuring out the proportions and guidelines for different body types and hopefully it'll make my next manga or illustrations have a higher variety as I become more confident with varied body types.

I originally did faces and hair for practice as well, but that just made it difficult to focus heavily on the body, so I stopped doing the faces. I have a separate 1000 face regime after all :P

So far, I'm pretty confident with loli. It's my default character type after all ahahaha

Muscular male is tricky

Full-bodied female is also difficult as I'm not used to the curves ahaha

Given it's been basically a week since finishing my last project, I think I'm not doing too badly with them at all.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2021, 06:28:42 PM »
Another set of my regimes-regime has been finished.
Here's some highlights of the work I've produced and any relevant thoughts.
See my main art thread for the illustration part of my regimes-regime.

Traced Manga +8
I'm hoping to reduce the quality to increase the speed, for practising fast-accurate lines. I'm using this regime half for basic coordination practice and also to pay attention to manga panel composition etc.

Copied panels/pages +16
(not traced)
I'm gradually increasing the detail level and number of panels I copy now. I'm also gaining confidence for backgrounds.

Finalised Figures +30
These are still proving tricky but I made my pen line thinner to force me to pay a bit more attenion to muscle detail and I think I did better than the last set.

Resolved Figures +100
This style is quite gappy with the solid lines, but pretty well conveys the basic form and angle of the given pose. I think this is near the top efficiency and really I just need to make sure I'm covering a good range of poses and getting used to difficult angles.

Inked Faces +100
I previously drew these quite sketchy, but I've reverted to a solid line style, but I'm inking with quick, definite strokes rather than trying to follow the undersketch. This is giving a fairly dynamic feel to the lines, but I'm still having trouble with some face angles, especially from under, and 7/8. I'm focusing more on facial expression range than hair.

Inked Hands +100
The quality on this set was quite lacking. I think I was just having a bad day and kinda rushed. I was trying to have solid confident lines but it still ended up looking quite sketchy and proportions were off.

Hand pose concepts +200
The quality and proportions of this stage has been lowered, partly due to using a more solid brush. I'm fine with the massively low quality as long as the sketch conveys the information I need to draw it again at a higher quality.

Figure pose concepts +200
These are getting a little easier to draw at high speed, but I think even with prompts I'm missing out on certain types of poses. I'm not really sure what, though, so I'm just spamming these out to get general experience.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:41:19 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2022, 01:14:19 PM »
Not been having too great of a time since the new year, got a cold at the moment which is a nuisance, but overall sort of lost my drive a bit. Still averaging about 2-3 hours a day drawing but that's about 30% of what I should be able to achieve in the same time. I'm getting distracted a lot lately, not sure why.

Been working on figures as always. These are getting a bit better but balancing the proportions is a bit of a nightmare. I think I'm getting closer to the general body type I want, but characters wont have just the one body type in my manga so I'll have to figure out a decent range. For now I'm just focusing on the most generic body type to work out the major flaws in my skill. Drawing at all sorts of angles and all sorts of poses is good practice but it's annoying knowing how bad I am all the time.

All that being said, I think I'm turning a corner with regard to producing higher level art, but it'll take a while for my maximum level skills to integrate with my normal level skills. That's probably the strange feeling I'm getting when I'm drawing now, lke if I let my focus lapse I go back to old bad habits, that sort of thing.

EDIT:
Oh and here's a project I hope to 3d print - a 2x2x2 Rubik's Cube. It was a bit of a nuisance to design but I'm fairly confident it'll work. You can see the inside mechanisms to the sides of the main model in the center. No idea if I'll actually add colour to the sides, but otherwise it'll make a nice fidget toy.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 01:22:07 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2023, 06:13:11 PM »
Gahhhh it's been a while since I updated this thread. It's been slow going on the core skills side of art over the last year.
But I seem to be gaining momentum consistently over the last few weeks, enough that I've started to tackle some projects that have been collecting dust.
I've done some general studies on stuff like scenery and animals which I haven't done for over a year, but also my super high quality figure project which is good for practising a wide range of original poses.
These are just a random selection from the batch of 30 that I just completed.

To be honest compared with the previous post a year ago I can't really see much improvement, that either means I haven't improved or my execution was different in some way. I'm feeling confident to tackle another batch soon so we'll see if that turns out any better. Either way they're not bad by any means, so my manga project should survive even with guidelines of this quality.
The main observable difference is the render style, which is more solid and has confident strokes compared to smooth and less confident from last time. It's about the same speed but the bonus is I can feel the form a lot better so adding clothing around the body should be a lot easier.
Hopefully have more to show soon. Got loads of other study areas to cover as wlel. Always busy :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:53:07 AM by Suuper-san »