March 29, 2024, 01:18:36 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's non-manga art  (Read 62440 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's non-manga art
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2019, 04:53:01 PM »
clothes and shoes copies from photos and manga. I feel a tad more confident with shoes now but don't quote me on that.

Spoiler

Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Yankee56

• View Profile
Re: The Rest of my Stuff
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
another self portrait

I must admit, you look like my real estate agent very much :D I hired him 7 months ago and he still couldn't find us a decent flat for sale on the French Riviera, however he's a nice guy, I like him anyway  ;D

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2019, 11:39:08 AM »
haha hopefully you eventually found a nice place  :)
I can safely say that I have never been in real estate XD
welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:39:53 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 05:04:17 PM »
350/1000
some difficult poses are becoming easier

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2019, 06:01:39 PM »
I'm just about alive, nearly over my self pity stage haha
just copies this time round, after looking at photo reference and then at manga pages that I've saved it's quite clear that artists skimp on the detail/accuracy they put into hands. I suspect that's mostly because of deadlines and stuff, they can't put their very best into a shot when they have 20+ pages a week to churn out. Until I'm under the same sort of pressure I guess I won't know how that feels, but I hope that I can put my best into every panel, even if it is wishful thinking XD

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 03:10:20 PM »
It's amazing to see the sort of 'shorcuts' some manga take when you really focus on micro details. I call it effeciency haha.

From what I hear you were sort of in a rut. Glad to see you're chugging along and that it's getting better. Keep at it.

I never thought I'd say this but I miss the hand regimen. I knew exactly what I was supposed to be drawing and that was so straightforward for my drawing life like you have no idea haha.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 03:58:32 PM »
More like a ditch than a rut to be honest haha
Yeah I sort of hit an art hurdle at the same time as my life got a bit messy with redecorating so it made it hard to focus. I'm vaguely picking up more determination and focus but we'll see :P

Yeah I think artists have sort of stock poses for figures and hands and faces that they pick up along the way for drawing very quickly, especially for background characters that you barely look at. Even the way they draw folds for the clothes is often very similar in each panel, but each artist has their own style.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2019, 05:06:19 PM »
There's definitely norms that make for good art or appealing art, but there's also definitely quirks that an artist just has to accept to go along otherwise things will go wonky.

By the way what is the source for your hand references? Digital or real life? Also have you managed the holy grail hand gestures of 1. The money rubbing gesture or 2. Pointing to the heavens in an inspirational manner?

I think it's impossible to draw these hands anatomically correct AND emotionally correct

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2019, 03:30:44 AM »
anatomically correct AND emotionally correct
You've definitely hit on something with that. As i was drawing those two pages I realised once again that even in a photo, hands can look pretty awful and "unrealistic" for certain poses. So to some extent, manga/art is not drawing things correctly, but drawing things to look correct.

For me my worst hand poses are the OK gesture (or any thumb to finger pose) , and just an open palm pose. I just can't get them right for some reason haha

I always use photo references to draw from, but a lot are ones I have taken of myself. Partly thats because I don't have a decent mirror setup to get the angles that I want, and mostly you will be drawing hands from the opposite angle that you look at your own hands. I need to take more references with interacting with props.

I also use manga reference to see how other artists simplify the body and hands, but I try to not use it as reference too much since it is pretty low quality.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:42:59 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2019, 05:21:24 PM »
236 hands drawn on holiday
I tried drawing a pose, and then drawing it in 2 other angles, which helped to get the 3d form of a hand in my head a lot more.
667/1000

Spoiler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2019, 03:25:52 PM »
unfortunately I didn't back up this topic so I'm going to have to scrounge around for the old images if I want to fix the photobucket blurryness :/

anywho I know this isn't of much interest to anyone, but I added another GIMP script to my arsenal, so when I click it, it adds all the layers that I use when colouring, in the right places, with the right layer settings and the right name. It'll save a couple of minutes every time I use it, and since I don't often name my layers out of lazyness, I'll now be able to keep a track of where I am a bit better as a bonus :P

So one button now does all this:

every little helps as far as efficiency goes.
onwards and upwards :P
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:27:52 PM by suuper-san »

Offline joeiisart

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2019, 03:33:45 PM »
I love your improvement! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
thanks!!!!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2019, 04:19:18 AM »
Forgot to post these that I drew while I was away. It's an A5 sketchbook.

This is my dad asleep on the sofa behind the table

This I drew when I stopped for 15 minutes in a village center.

It was actually nice to draw outside from real life instead of photos, and I definitely would like to try it again. I did get the feeling people were glancing at me but I did get used to it surprisingly haha
Unfortunately the weather was awful the whole time I was away, and the ink got a bit wet and smudged when it started to rain on the second picture. Otherwise I would have drawn a lot more I think.

Also my ink style needs a lot of work, although I don't dislike the super sketchyness. I would have loved to splash a bit of solid colour or shading on the page so I'll need to figure out what my options are for traditional stuff. Something like markers would be nice - I've got some somewhere XD
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:22:34 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2019, 05:52:57 AM »
Hohoho naming layers like that is a low blow dude. Just how organized can a man be XD

I'll steal that.

Also love these from life drawings suuper! It really is a different feeling than when you work on a photograph, and it's such a different sense of dedication when you go out in public and sketch/draw. And trust me, when you see someone doing that it's generally a positive feeling from the side of an observer - I freak out happilly whenever I see someone going out in the park to sketch, or in the train drawing something. I swear, I don't even care if they are doodles. Actually, the more doodly the better because it makes me think more (not that photorealism isn't awesome.)

That village center looks interesting... Does it have a cafe's nearby by any chance? Cafe's are great sketching places.