March 29, 2024, 02:35:25 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 770952 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #5070 on: March 08, 2022, 09:42:29 AM »
Good ol' fashion morning playlist... 

Janet Jackson: Someone To Call My Lover
Rina Sawayama: Take Me As I Am 
Utada Hikaru: Wait & See ~Risk~ 
Michael Jackson: This Time Around
Ice Cube: You Know How We Do It 
Todd Rundgren: Influenza
George Duke: I Love You More
Japanese Breakfast: Be Sweet 
Crying: Wool In The Wash
Anri: SHYNESS BOY
Momoko Kikuchi: Blind Curve
YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA: Rydeen
Pete Townshend: A Little Is Enough
Sayaka Yamamoto: feel the night
Aimyon: Marshmallow 
miwa: It's You!
the peggies: DIVE TO LOVE
Katy Perry: Self Inflicted
Carly Rae Jepsen: Party For One 
Lizzy Borden: Shock
Metallica: Blitzkrieg
Thin Lizzy: Geocide
Television: Venus 
The Isley Brothers: Ballad For The Fallen Soldier 
Prince: The Holy River

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 09:51:45 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: March 21, 2022, 09:03:50 AM »
Spring morning type quicklist... 

Ray - lull ~Sosh!te Bokura wa
ClariS - irony
SPEED - Stars to shine again
BONNIE PINK - Princess Incognito
Carly Rae Jepsen - No Drug Like Me
Janet Jackson - Come On Get Up
Katy Perry - International Smile
Rina Sawayama - Love Me 4 Me
Motorhead - Love Me Like a Reptile
The Runaways - I Love Playin' With Fire   
AC/DC - Gimme a Bullet
Lizzy Borden - Eyes of a Stranger
the peggies - Unleash
miwa - fighting girls
The Idol Formerly Known As Ladybaby - Generation Hard Knocks
PASSPO - Truly
fhana - Rebuilt world
GARNiDELiA - Steps
SCANDAL - MIRROR 
Aimer - We Two 
Leo Ieiri - Whenever
Aimee B - Fallen Angel 
CHEMISTRY - Period
Japanese Breakfast - In Hell
The Isley Brothers - Livin' In the Life/Go for Your Guns

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: March 28, 2022, 09:37:31 AM »
miwa, Sparkle

The title track makes a huge statement. It's a fantastic feel good Pop track with a tone of revitalized life. It's been 5 years since SPLASH WORLD came out, and in the time between miwa slowed down. She released two amazing singles in 2017, "Shiny" and, for me, her greatest song "We Are The Light". Neither track got to be featured on a studio album, like they deserved to be. The new album is the kind of thing I hoped for from miwa in 2018.

It has a lot of great tracks, the best ones being the pleasant Electro based ones like the title track, "CLEAR" and "Aye". Some songs didn't do it for me, "UUU" has a very obnoxious instrumental with a really bad millennial whoop hook. "DAITAN" is okay as the album's Rock song, a tradition with miwa. I'm honestly not a fan of miwa's ballads, this album only has two right at the end so that was fine.

I will lap up anything that sounds like "We Are The Light" because it's one of my favorite songs of all time. So to get three similar tracks in "Sparkle", "Aye" and "Who I Am" is enough for me. Overall Sparkle is solid, I don't think I'll listen to the whole thing again, and I won't add it to my collection, but there are a few songs I'll listen to a bunch on here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDMJFhZbWLg

Charli XCX, Crash 

This album gets a resounding 'it was okay' from me. It's a decent set of 12 songs, nothing overly wrong with it. The 80's throwback production is done to death at this point, so a couple tracks like "Good Ones" made me roll my eyes. "Lightning" is quite a good song, as was "Every Rule". "Constant Repeat" and "New Shapes" are also solid. The idea of a Charli XCX/Rina Sawayama collab is incredible, it sounds like it would be the most amazing song! The result "Beg For You" was okay. 

I don't think I'll listen to this album again. There are some good songs to pick out but overall it just didn't do anything for me. It has a strong theme and it's very consistent throughout, but some of these tracks are like Dua Lipa outtakes, take that as you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw_Gtwdnp1Q     

Utada Hikaru, Bad Mode

Now this is great! Utada has made her most solid album since 2006's Ultra Blue! This is everything great about Utada! The instrumentals with interesting sounds, the creative spark and the very solid tracks. Nothing is boring on here, something cool happens on each song. "Somewhere Near Marseilles" is a great ending song. At 12 minutes long it creates a great vibe and rides it out. Utada goes into a bit of that Exodus free spirit, even making two nearly full English songs. The only track I didn't care for was "Face My Fears" which had a very lame treble heavy dupstep break from Skrillex. Not something I thought I'd say about an album in 2022. Regardless, this is great and a MASSIVE step up from Utada's previous album Hatsukoi. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJGCeAWIfEA
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 09:41:51 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: April 25, 2022, 04:31:49 PM »
Free   

I absolutely love their albums Fire and Water & Highway, so it's no surprise that Free's self titled album is also fantastic. Free are really expectational among all the boring Blues Rock bands of the late 60's/early 70's. The amazing band chemistry shines on every track, with such natural feeling performances. There is so much space in the music, with minimal studio trickery. Paul Rodgers was an incredible vocalist, with a smooth voice that never feels put on or try hard. Paul Kossoff's guitar is so great. This album has a lot of low key songs, making for something very enjoyable to put on. "Trouble on Double Time" is such a highlight, along with "I'll Be Creeping" and "Songs of Yesterday". Free is totally awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJY8vGbZ7V8 

Kero Kero Bonito, Civilization 

I was a bit annoyed with how long it took Kero Kero Bonito to make another album after Time 'n' Place so I wasn't overly interested in the two Civilization EPs. That said the culmination of this project, even if it's only 27 minutes, is pretty damn good. This is their most interesting production for sure, with so many great keyboard bits and glitchy elements. Sarah's vocals are buried in the mix and it's a bit hard to pick out the lyrics, but it works for the style. All seven of the songs are great, with "The Princess and the Clock" being my favorite Kero Kero Bonito song...ever. The lengthy finale "Well Rested" is quite good, along with "21/04/20" and "When The Fires Come". 

I haven't listened to Bonito Generation and Time 'n' Place a whole lot after their release years, but if I get my hands on this record it will certainly be a go-to for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncBPcx4RdbE 

Evelyn "Champagne" King, Smooth Talk 

Talk about underrated! Man, this was a super good Disco album, every song is excellent and catchy. Evelyn's voice is so great, I absolutely love her style and these upbeat fun songs. "Nobody Knows" is amazing, "Smooth Talk" is amazing, "I Don't Know If It's Right"...the whole album is great! I cannot believe I've never heard of her until now, because this is just great music. I only found her music because I wanted to hear what Ice Cube sampled for "You Know How We Do It". It's actually a great transformative sample, taking bits of Smooth Talk's last song "The Show Is Over" and creating something new from it. Anyway, this album is great and it deserves more recognition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4pmJAHhw88   

Marvin Gaye, Let's Get It On 

It's hard to look past the title track, it's a pre-Internet meme song. Everyone knows those first few guitar notes, even without knowing the artist. But it's only the first track on this incredible album. If you think this just a set of songs for getting down then "If I Should Die Tonight" proves you wrong. It's such a striking, powerful song. It stirred up a strong emotional reaction from me. All these songs have such a great tone and instrumentation. The strings add so much and Marvin's vocals...nothing needs to be said there. "Distant Lover", oh my God man. Let's Get It On is just as good as What's Going On. I need to get this record as soon as I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKoLUnPf1uM 

Adina Howard, Do You Wanna Ride?   

Decent listen, not so great as an entire album but there are some good songs here. "Freak Like Me", "My Up and Down" and "Baby Come Over"  are great. I enjoyed the vibe of the album, I pretty much like anything with this 90's R&B sound. There are a lot of guest spots, which I didn't really like, though the other vocalist in "You Don't Have to Cry" adds a lot of life to the track. Adina has a nice lower vocal tone, she doesn't do anything too crazy vocally until the ending fireworks on "Horny For Your Love". I don't think I'll listen to this entire album again though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szOkY3o91Pc   

Phoebe Bridgers, Punisher 

Everyone talked about this album online when it came out, but I was never interested in listening to it until now. I got it right away, and realized the appeal of her music from the first lines of "Garden Song". Her lyrics are full of specific details and individual expression. I thought that was the strongest aspect of the music. The album is somber, moreso than what I usually like, but her voice was so relaxing and the production was so good that it made it enjoyable. I really love the instrumentation, tracks like "Savior Complex" have such great subtle layers. "I Know The End" is the most striking track, with it's big build up. The scream at the end, wow. Naturally, I liked the upbeat songs like "Kyoto" and "ICU" the most but honestly this whole album was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw0zYd0eIlk 

Haru Nemuri, Shunka Ryougen 

The main event of the day, Haru Nemuri's new album Shunka Ryougen!

Haru really amazed everyone with Haru to Shura a few years ago. It was an incredible album with such a unique sound and powerful expression. Since then she's released a steady flow of singles along with a great mini album, Lovetheism which expanded her style. Recently it was fun to see videos of her short American tour where she performed with such high energy. Stage diving, climbing on things and even performing on the bar and merch table for one show. It's safe to say I was excited for this album, and oh boy did it deliver.

Shunka Ryougen is a natural evolution, taking elements from Haru to Shura and Lovetheism while going even further, especially with the emotional deliveries and unpredictable compositions. This is such a varied and interesting album. I can't get enough of Haru's vocals. I love her sarcastic sneering on "Old Fashioned" and the totally raw, straight from the soul, screaming on the title track. "Never Let You Go" is just classic Haru, with a completely unexpected break where things go crazy. I can say something good about every track, it's just an awesome album. 

"Souzou Suru" has the line "TOUCH MY YES", a sure reference to Seiko Oomori's "Dogma Magma". That made me really happy. My other favorite songs are "Heart of Gold", "Shunrai" and "Who the f*ck is burning the forest?". The new version of "Kick In The World", complete with a screaming chorus, is amazing. It's so nice to hear Haru's sound progress, she is really one of the most exciting artists out there right now and this album is something I'm sure to listen to a lot. The spirit of Rock 'n Roll is alive and well in artists like Haru Nemuri. This album makes her one of the greats for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYt68m49h4 

Seiko Oomori, PERSONA #1

Though I have been a massive fan of Seiko since Tokyo Black Hole, the "she can do no wrong" phase ended with Kusokawa Party, an album that missed the mark with it's second half. I was very skeptical of her latest studio album Kintsugi but it turned out to be fantastic! I was also enjoying ZOC until Katy left the group early last year. Then Seiko released "Rude" which I honestly think is one of her worst songs. I basically stopped following her in 2021. 

But the "TOUCH MY YES" line from Haru's album made me want to listen to Seiko's latest project. Upon hearing the first seconds of title track, I fell right back into things and was instantly along for this fun crazy ride. PERSONA #1 is a self cover album where Seiko does her own versions of songs she has written for other artists. This includes one of my favorite J-Pop songs of the last from many years, "LADY BABY BLUE" originally by The Idol Formerly Known As Ladybaby, among other great tracks. Even though "Mugen Climax" was already on kitixxxgaia, this new version couldn't be anymore different. It's a pretty fun album with some fun styles. It naturally doesn't have the flow and feel of a Seiko album, but as a sort of compilation it's good. I'll just pretend "Rude" wasn't tacked on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guwxVcKNYMM                                                                           
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 05:50:51 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: April 26, 2022, 01:44:21 PM »
Bonnie Pink, Golden Tears 

Bonnie Pink is almost like an unsung legend of J-Pop in the West. She is a fantastic songwriter and this album is really great! Her music is always a bit melancholy and grey, this is no exception, but man it's catchy. "So Wonderful" and "Cotton Candy" are the two songs I knew before, they are fantastic tracks. The latter being the ending song to the 2005 Guyver series. Everything else was great with choruses that can only be described as pure 2000's bliss. "Monster" is insanely catchy, "Coast to Coast" is great, all the songs are enjoyable. Bonnie Pink has such a unique style, and the production and tones are really interesting here. She is one of the greats of J-Pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1qGHyVbqBA

LOONA/ODD EYE CIRCLE, Max & Match   

I really don't know much of anything about K-Pop and it's popularity in the West has only turned me further away. But damn this is a good mini-album. Everything here is pretty solid, with very pleasant tones and production. I like K-Pop that sounds like it'd play in a department store rather than a club, and this is it. No surprise that ODD EYE CIRCLE is a sub-unit of one of the only K-Pop groups I do enjoy, LOONA. I love the song "Chaotic" along with "Sweet Crazy Love" and "Uncover". Aside from the annoying pitch shifted voice on some tracks, this was pretty good! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPADSpVJmdk 

MAPA, Sh!tennou   

Okay, there is a lot to say about this one. I found the group because I wanted to see what Megumi Koshouji has done since the break up of Maison book girl. When I heard the song "Lady's Clinic" I thought something was up, it sounded exactly like Seiko Oomori's songwriting. Sure enough, MAPA is a new group that is produced by Seiko, serving as a sister group to ZOC.

It's impossible to look past how this is a total Seiko album, sung by other people. These are amazing songs, the likes of which Seiko hasn't done on her own since 2018. The high energy, sugary, maniac tracks and the explosive multi-part choruses, it's everything I love about her music! Megumi Koshouji is awesome, being a former member of BiS and then the leader of such a great unique idol group in Maison book girl, but the Seiko connection overshadows everything here. It shows that she still has the goods as a songwriter! This was a great album, honestly MAPA is just too overpowered! They have so many amazing things going for them. I had great fun listening to this, the songs vary from totally crazed to nice slower tracks, it's really good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bpRnzxbI4Y 

Little Richard, The Rill Thing 

I knew nothing of his music after the 50's. Sure enough, The Rill Thing is a pretty decent Rock 'n Roll Blues album. With the gritty voice of Little Richard still coming through great. The band puts down some great tracks, especially on the instrumental "The Rill Thing". There is some 50's nostalgia that comes off as corny on "Dew Drop-Inn" though. "Greenwood, Mississippi" is solid and overall it's not a bad record. Hearing Little Richard cover "I Saw Her Standing There" is great, since the Beatles did their own spin on his song "Long Tall Sally". His take on this classic is great, he slows it down and gives it a cooler vibe. I'm curious to hear his other post-50's material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy_pOyYOSqg 

Stevie Wonder, My Cherie Amour 

I really wasn't interested in Stevie's 60's material since he's one of those artists who became truly great after taking full creative control from Motown, but I figured I'd give this album a try. It's alright but it's not a Stevie Wonder album, it's a Motown album featuring Stevie on vocals and harmonica. The typical Motown sound is present, with at times overbearing strings and horns. James Jamerson kills it on bass, with excellent tone and tasteful performances. Stevie was just 19 when this album was recorded, his vocals are raw and passionate, but he is often drowned out by the instrumentals. The title track is great and there are some other highlights such as "Hello, Young Lovers" and "Somebody Knows, Somebody Cares". Not a bad listen, but let's all be thankful Stevie broke out of this mold and freely expressed himself with his own incredible music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjufjv4rH0s 

Thin Lizzy, Vagabonds of the Western World

Speaking of bumps on the road to greatness, Thin Lizzy were one of the best 70's Rock bands but on their third album they still had a lot of evolution to go through. "The Hero and the Madman" is straight up horrible, with incredibly cringy spoken word segments that makes my skin crawl. "Slow Blues" stinks also. The fact that this band went on to make remarkable albums like Jailbreak, Bad Reputation and Black Rose is remarkable when you hear songs like those. But "The Rocker" hints at what was to come, with it's remarkable guitar work. Phil Lynott's bass is far more upfront then other Thin Lizzy albums as well.  I want to listen to every Thin Lizzy album, so the good part is...I'm one record closer to that. Vagabonds should only be listened to after one has heard the run of records from Fighting to Chinatown. It's one worth forgetting, for hardcore fans only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsD7VWZxjbk

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: October 26, 2022, 11:06:32 AM »
So I recently had the pleasure to attend and in person concert for the first time since COVID (not counting the occasional bar band). Paramore was the headliner, but two of their openers were headliners in their own right: Japanese Breakfast and Young the Giant, to the point that I was straight up asked which band I was there to see, lol

(A shout out to the first opener, Claud, who announced their second song with the line "this song is about being called a b*tch". They did good.)

Japanese Breakfast has been the one really sticking in my mind though. If y'all haven't yet heard of them, look them up now and listen to Be Sweet. Either the english or Korean version, because honestly I keep listening to both and can't decide which is better.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: October 26, 2022, 02:43:31 PM »
I'm still listening to the same old J-Pop I have for years. If it ain't broke don't fix it XD
Partly because the way I found new songs and artists was from anime openings and endings, and since I hardly watch anime at all now, no new music sources (T_T;)
As much as I would love to keep finding new artists and songs to listen to, it's yet another interest that I can barely give the time to. As well as managing playlists since I dont really like automatically generated ones at all.
I used to buy J-Pop CDs and manga from Japan actually but stopped about the same time I stopped watching anime. Probably need to buy some more stuuuuuufffffffff!!!
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: October 30, 2022, 01:03:56 PM »
I use Spotify, and it creates a weekly playlist of music you might like based on other liked songs. It's only about 30 minutes long each week so a pretty decent way to find new stuff. It's helped me discover a lot of music, it's just remembering to listen to it that's hard, lol. But it has led me to some of my favorite stuff.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: October 31, 2022, 05:12:48 PM »
I've used spotify on and off in the past, maybe I'll give it another shot then.
Or maybe I'll just watch more anime lol and find new artists like I always used to XD
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: November 15, 2022, 11:58:25 AM »
Whatever you do, I think it’s worthwhile. We gotta keep ourselves invested in new experiences somehow if we don’t want to gorw stagnant. New music has always helped me keep inspired personally.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: November 15, 2022, 02:13:08 PM »
yeah I originally started watching anime amongst other reasons, to get inspiration for my own stories. So a lot of my core ideas are imagined as an anime or these days, more as a manga.
Can't say I've had much luck with music being an inspiration, but it's definitely helped me focus better on difficult days, so it has its uses :D

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: January 06, 2023, 09:23:49 AM »
Oh man, kinda missed posting here...

2023 started off strong for me with Katatonia releasing a new single for their upcoming album: Katatonia - "Birds". This is single number 3, and I'm getting a more rocky vibe than previous albumns, but I'm quite digging it. Katatonia - "Atrium" / Katatonia - "Austerity"

From last year, I can't really decide on a favourite album release, however, if there is one release that deserves to be near the top of the list, it is Zeal & Ardor's self titled album. A complete refinement of their sound, with better production and overall more hooks to keep me engaged the whole way through.

And finally, to draw your attentions to something a little unique, I recently stumbled upon this little gem from South Korea: Jambinai - "Apparition". Post rock with folk instruments and a small injection of metal, creating these wonderful, almost avant garde soundscapes. This is the kind of stuff I love to find now, really creative and unique.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: January 06, 2023, 05:17:08 PM »
Hell ya NO1SY, we gotta bring this thread back to life this year. I like the Katatonia songs, they have a nice melodic tone. It won't be shocking to say the Zeal & Ardor ones weren't my sort of thing haha, that song Run seems...effective though at what it's trying to do. The Jambinari song was really neat, lots of nice twists and sounds.

I always like to start the new year trying to find some new to me music.

I was taken by the album Air Guitar by Sobs. It is so perfectly suited to my music tastes, the exact sort of Indie Rock I am after. The songs are fun, catchy and there are some fantastic instrumental twists. The song "Friday Night" is amazing with a completely unexpected breakdown. I've listened to the album three times this week.

I tried to find some other good Indie from that. It's hard with me because I find a lot of the music is super boring. But Numcha stood out, the song "in my white dress" got me right away. Lots of good songs off the album also.

SZA's latest album SOS was okay. I only listened to CTRL once in 2017 but I've played the song "Prom" well over 100 times, it's absolutely one of my all time favorite songs. The new album has a lot of tracks but it's only a bit over an hour. For the most part the music is background noise. A few highlights like "Notice Me" but overall it's not one I'll go back to often. I was hoping for atleast one song that hit me like "Prom", but that wasn't the case here.

Otherwise I've just listened to some Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Isley Brothers and Bo Diddley albums I've never heard. Not very explorative but eventually I want to hear all their stuff.

Offline anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: January 06, 2023, 07:46:14 PM »
a
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:07:51 AM by Slammy »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: January 07, 2023, 11:00:23 AM »
:music: :hair: :rock:

Well you know me, I just gush on and on about music I like if no one stops me...!
:sure:

That Sobs album "Air Guitar" is pretty neat. It's very stylistically varied, going from being reminiscent of Green Day's "Dookie" all the way to Carly Rae Jepsen's "Emotion". I think you and I have very different definitions of "Breakdown" though XD .

I don't really like much modern indie music. Tame Impala never did it for me and even Bloc Party have fallen far from the heights of their first three albums. I agree a lot of it sounds very samey now (and none of it is really truly independent anymore...).

I may have linked before, but you may be interested a little in the song "Parachute" by COVET. It's a little more mathy and crunchy, but still has that pretty and effervescent feel to me. I believe this is the only one of their released songs that has vocals though, everything else is instrumental math rock, despite the fact that Yvette Young is a great singer on top of being amazing at guitar and about 6 other instruments...

Which segues nicely into me asking Slammy: what new math rock have you been listening to? I actually found myself down the rabbit hole of mathy post-hardcore yesterday evening after hearing the new single from Hail the Sun - "Mind Reader".