November 26, 2020, 10:03:33 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 409941 times)

Offline Manimal Claus

• God Of Xmas & Yuletide Fun
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4995 on: October 16, 2020, 01:55:41 PM »
Bonnie Pink, Heaven's Kitchen

This is a totally awesome album from singer/songwriter Bonnie Pink. There is a super cool style with lots of variety. It's sort of 90's Indie Pop with Blues Rock elements. Bonnie is a fantastic vocalist, shown clearly on the track "Lie Lie Lie". "Heaven's Kitchen" and "Do You Crash?" are excellent songs. "Melody" has some 60's elements with a wicked bassline. There is some jazz going on in songs like "Hohoemi no Kate" and "Pendulum". A lot of her style is somewhat reminiscent of what Shiina Ringo would later do. Bonnie is multilingual and uses lots of English in a natural sounding manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DznPcpEblIw

TRF, Lif-E-Motions 

This is some top notch J-Pop Techno/Trance stuff. Life-E-Motions sounds primed to be listened to in a low quality MP3 with cheap earbuds. This album has great Electro sounds and some instantly catchy melodies. I loved the sound right away and songs like "you&me" had me singing along before it ended. "Signal Theta" is a super cool Sci-Fi instrumental. "Life-E-Motions" is such a good song also. I love these kinds of keyboards sooooo much that I just hear them in the beginning of a song and I'm in. There is a Bleach OP 1 Rap Guy who comes in and out during random songs. This is a very enjoyable album, but the last two songs are boring. There are few things I love more than Electro J-Pop like this, it just gets to me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sskaOxMJ_EA 

TWO-MIX, BPM 132

Famous voice actress Minami Takayama and composer Shiina Nagana formed Electro Pop Techno group TWO-MIX. They are behind three of the greatest anime songs ever made, "JUST COMMUNICATION", "RHYTHM EMOTION" and "LAST IMPRESSION"  from Gundam Wing. The former opens the album. It's completely iconic and just a brilliant song that I love so much. So does the rest of this album live up to that song? Sort of. "Callin' You" is a wonderful gentle song with very warm vocals and "Silent Cruising" is fun. "Callin' You" really connected with me, excellent song! "Drivin' to Paradise" is also very warm, the vocals are maybe even a bit too quiet. I think only about half the album is good, it verges on mediocrity for the last few songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaWGC-HUoNI 

Every Little Thing, Time to Destination

The last one for today's 90's (+ 2006) J-Pop session. This is a fairly decent album but nothing special. The songs are alright and there are a few highlights but overall I have very little to say about it. Every Thing Little are certainly a more average group and this album is the tenth best selling record in Japan. Nothing on here makes me want to hear more from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTjNxdnQuT0 

OKAY WOW. I just came across Chara and her song "Crazy For You". It's INSANELY good and must of been an inspiration for Seiko Oomori because WOW. The style is so much like Seiko on TOKYO BLACK HOLE but a decade or so before. I must check out the album and others by Chara, I am super impressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK0RHq__ZRM
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:39:17 AM by Manimal »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: October 17, 2020, 05:46:54 PM »
Damn looks like this year has a lot to offer music wise. I should try out listening to some new albums for sure. My playlist has become way too stale haha .

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: October 18, 2020, 10:21:48 AM »
Well, Lego, that's what you have us for! I like to imagine we are the music arm of MR radio; Manimal brings you the rock classics, j-pop/rock, and r&b/pop hits; and I bring you the obscure rock and metal tracks... now all we need is someone to pick up the electronic and radio-rock slack!

That said I think I may have something you may appreciate Lego:
After 10 years, Pendulum have returned with new music! They have released two singles: "Nothing for Free" and "Driver". The former is the "electronica-rock", almost riffy, style with vocals that I love Pendulum for - in the vein of "Propane Nightmares" and "Witchcraft" - while the latter is their full on drum-and-bass fare like "Slam". Listening to these tracks has given me decade old nostalgia, but also made me wonder what Pendulum's place in the modern music scene really is... Their brand of drum-and-bass sound seems to have all but been left behind by the electronic music industry and electronic music listeners alike, in favour of more lo-fi, chilled out tracks. I hope that their slightly alternative niche in the rock scene doesn't feel dated also by the time that they release a new album...

Another band that is giving me nostalgia vibes is Smashing Pumpkins, but more in the "I'm gonna go listen to their old hits" kinda way. They've pre-released just over a quarter of the tracks from their upcoming 20-track album "Cyr" and I just don't know...  Well, one of my mates, who used to be just about the biggest Smashing Pumpkins fan in the world, had this to say: "As with a lot of their new music, it's good, but it's just not the same...". I'm inclined to agree really. The title track "Cyr" is hooky and reminds me a bit of Eurythmics. "Anno Satana" has a kinda R.E.M sound to it. Every song is solid, but I think it just doesn't sound very Smashing Pumpkins to me anymore, not in the same defining way that "Bullet with Butterfly Wings", "Zero", or "Cherub Rock" does...

In a more positive bout of nostalgia, I have been re-listening to James Iha's other music project with A Perfect Circle, thanks to a recent Rick Beato video that went through the music theory of "Weak and Powerless". This song is phenominal, definitely one of the best to come out of the band's earlier work, following "Judith" for example. I must admit, their latest, more accessible, work in 2018 captivated me a lot more often than their previous albums did... there is a lot of weird stuff back there to dig through, but once you do, there are several really awesome tracks to find.

On to some more new stuff: Daniel Tompkins, vocalist of TesseracT and one of my all time favourites, has another solo album coming up this year. His previous solo album last year had been a slightly progressive, mostly electronic endeavour that was fairly soft but very interesting. This new track however, "The Gift" featuring Matt Heafy of Trivium, is anything but soft! It still sees Tompkins showing off his signature vocal control, and brings out the best of Matt's vocals also, but I couldn't help but grin when I found myself headbanging to the breakdowns and layered growls. It's not as groovy as TesseracT, nor thrashy as Trivium, but a super enjoyable half-way point between the two.

More and more I am delving into the melodic side of black metal, and more and more I am finding albums to enjoy. New and noteworthy is a new track "I, Pallbearer" off the upcoming album by Harakiri for the Sky. I'm not exactly sure if this is technically black metal... but it's noisy, distorted, has growls, and has blast beats aplenty so...!? The thing is, through all of the noise and distortion and blasts in this song, a really soaring, uplifting, even beautiful melody has been layered in and cuts through, just elevating the song to new heights. In a lot of ways it's reminiscent of "Sapphire" by Alcest.

Lastly, and unsurprisingly given the state of the world this year, new music has been flowing from Zeal & Ardor. First is "Vigil" - a sombre, moving track. Next is the blistering and furious "Tuskegee". "Trust No One" is doomy and bluesy and maybe the most refined Z&A has ever sounded. And "Wake of a nation" is industrial and hypnotic and dark. Manuel Gagneux displays just how versatile he can be with this project. My only wish is that he would more often find ways to fully fuse all of his influences - Blues, African American Chants, Gospel, and Black Metal - into one coherent sound. Not that I dislike the variety each song brings on his albums, but I think that there is real magic to be found if everything were to be seemlessly melded together in each song as opposed from one song to the next.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:24:58 AM by NO1SY »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: October 19, 2020, 05:56:20 AM »
I'll check these out. I think singles are my go to for now because albums feel a heck of a lot long.

BUT YES PENDULUUUUUM. OH GAWD YES THE NOSTALGIA.

Funny enough I found Twilight to Starlight by Smashing Pumpkins and I finally got why people love them. I know I'm lazy but listening to albums as they were intended to be listened to from start to finish is such an awesome experience. I need to do that more... After I go through some singles.

And damn Wake of a nation. Putting that on now haha.

PS: Yeaup you guys are the resident musicians on the block. OGHM and Paipis have some hot takes too hehe

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: October 19, 2020, 01:39:00 PM »
L'Arc-en-Ciel, Heavenly

Another cool album! "Still I'm With You" began and I instantly loved it right away. Jangle Pop has disappointed me so much, with most of the bands I've heard being lame and boring. But on this album and True the band was able to bring those kind of guitars into these utterly fantastic J-Rock compositions. Lots of variety and their own style is present. Wow, I love this sound. The production is so clear and fresh, I would not of guessed this album was from 1995. "Vivid Colours" is such A GOOD SONG! Oh my God, it hits so hard! "C'est la Vie" sounds like a Christmas song with it's corny synth bells. "Garasu Dama" is the power ballad which has, just like all the other songs, some wicked basslines going. The guitar solos on this album feel raw and loose. "Shizuka no Umi de" builds up to a powerful Rock song. I really enjoyed this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yLpT3OFJ98 

Chara, Union 

I was utterly floored when I heard the first seconds of "Crazy For You". I thought I was hearing Seiko Oomori but this album came out in 2007! Chara is a very unique vocalist with a wild creative spirit like Shiina Ringo, Mariko Goto and Seiko. Her voice is super strained and dynamic. I can't get over how much Seiko sounds like her, all those inflections like ending a line on a whisper. "Crazy For You" and "Tears" are extremely good songs. This album is full of atmospheric and chill songs. It started stronger than it ended but it was very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5S99S61gD4&list=PL4NXUZspQ7Bx_rKK9YMzpY9nymDmdVao7&index=4

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: October 20, 2020, 04:55:47 PM »
TWO-MIX, BPM 143

First things first, "RHYTHM EMOTION" is the defining song for my 2020, so far. The OP switch late in Gundam Wing will go down as one of my most memorable anime moments. This song is just magnificent, I absolutely love it. That opening sequence is Top 10 all time, both the animation and track come together to create something unforgettable. So that's what I'm going into this album with.

BPM 143 explodes in the first half. This is a heavy duty Techno J-Pop album, it's so dated which makes it greatly enjoyable. Every song feels like you're floating through a vision of a future that never happened. The instrumentals often over power Minami Takayama's soft vocals. "Innocent Dance" has some pretty awful swooshing sound effects during the instrumental breaks but the vocal parts are so damn good you can forgive it. "Eternal Motion" and "I'll Be There" are just amazingly fun. Things slow down in the second half. "Dear My Regret" shows the warm and gentle side of Minami's voice. I prefer this album to BPM 132.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df4Anfgv81g 

Megumi Hayashibara, Half & Half 

The first album from famous voice actress Megumi Hayashibara is a early 90's J-Pop delight. Megumi singing voice is pleasant and the tracks can be pretty cute like "A Late Comer". There is very solid variety so you won't get bored. "Koi No Scramble Race" is a real jamming track with classic J-Pop slap bass and saxophone action. I really enjoyed the whole thing a lot more than I imagined. Since it's her first album I thought it might not be anything special but every song was solid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGl2JLfAQw 

Ayumi Hamasaki, LOVEppears

If you're into J-Pop you know Ayu but I've never gotten into her aside from a few songs. I did enjoy her most recent release Made In Japan though. LOVEppears is her big album and man...it's pretty good. This is a 1999 dance party with fantastic production. These songs are full of life and very enjoyable. It's paced very well for a 70+ minute listen. It comes off feeling pretty fresh actually. "Boys & Girls" is excellent along with "Fly High" and "Trauma". Ayu's vocals are decent and she handles the jams and ballads very well. I especially like her performance on "too late" with it's very anime song chorus. This is a longer album but well worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw_cTMqHQ1w 

L'Arc-en-Ciel, Tierra 

The band's second album, this one Rocks a lot harder and has more of an Alt-Rock feel than the following two records. Lots of songs where the guitars coming ripping in for the chorus and in general a moody feeling. "Nemuri Ni Yosete" is a standout with it's change ups in feel from Bossa Nova to solid Rocking. Tierra gets better the longer it goes on. The final song "White Feathers" is long and epic. This is a pretty cool album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V5yGjO7_Ek

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: October 27, 2020, 06:14:59 PM »
Welp I've been so freakin' busy that I missed posting a music update for last week... In terms of new music, for me, there wasn't too much to talk about really, but bits and pieces worth checking out:

Some new albums:

Sevendust - "Blood & Stone": I'm going to admit, I'm not sure what I think about Sevendust in general really. I think they are very good musicians, and they successfully combine the heaviness and syncopation of Nu Metal with the soaring anthems of radio rock without the cheese. But I just don't seem to gel with the sound that they've landed on with that combo. It just feels one crank away from being heavy enough, and so close to being musically there but just missing the mark for me. Their old songs like "Black" and "Denial" had this grunginess and brutality to them that I don't hear anymore. Even though I think that their sound and musicianship is more refined now, I'm just not into it as much anymore. Also as much as I enjoy when Lajon growls and crunches his vocals, after he featured on the epic "Mob Mentality" by Earthside, it's just hard to not want him to do more prog stuff. (Sevendust are actually quite well liked in the prog sphere for some reason!?)

FEVER 333 - "WRONG GENERATION": Well I give you 3 seconds to work out what this album is about... As on the nose as Jason Aalon Butler is with his lyrics in this project, I cannot deny that FEVER 333 are high energy. I actually quite liked their 2019 album "STRENGTH IN NUMBERS", which was a much more melodic venture despite being just as politically charged as always. But when "BITE BACK" built throughout those first two verses, which reminded me more and more of Letlive's "Fake History", I was getting super excited to hear the rest of this new release. What came after was not quite what I expected... but there was plenty to enjoy: "U WANTED A FIGHT" has a Rage Against the Machine quality to it with it's repeated lyrics; "FOR THE RECORD" is a high octaine punkish explosion; "LAST TIME" is surprisingly sombre and pretty (but WAY TOO SHORT!); "SUPREMACY" is a very cool hip-hop track (for a rock fan who knows nothing about hip-hop...). Not much of a fan of the more rap-centric tracks however. Other than the riff of the "WALK THROUGH FIRE" chorus, I could take or leave those...

Some new Singles (see if you can spot the current musical trend in rock/metal...):

Architects - "Animals": The first single off of their upcoming "For Those That Wish to Exist" is very different to anything Architects have done before. Processed electronics play a large role in this new sound, but, unlike a lot of times, they don't sound misplaced or dis-tasteful. Sam's vocal delivery is less harsh and more melodic than any previous record, but the delivery still sets this moody dark tone. The chuggy riff is super catchy and enjoyable in-and-of itself, and still heavy despite lacking that classic Architects technicality. I'm looking forward to this follow up to 2018's very emotional "Holy Hell", but I hope that they decide to bring along some of the old "Hollow Crown" sounds in this release to go along with the new.

Bring Me The Horizon - "Teardrops": If anyone had told me that I would be listening to and really enjoying post-2013 BMTH I would have called them crazy, but it's 2020 and here we are... This upcoming album "POST HUMAN: SURVIVAL HORROR" might just bring me back. This is their heaviest song in 7 years, whilst maintaining a lot of the new melodic sound that has exploded their popularity. To be honest I wasn't much of a fan of their particular Deathcore sound, not until they went more Metalcore in 2010 and again in 2013 with "Sempiternal", save for a few select songs on "Suicide Season". Still it's nice to hear a bit of that bite coming back to their music now. They even have a properly screamed bridge and a full on drum fill!

Atreyu - "Save Us": Following the departure of frontman Alex, I was wondering how Atreyu would sound. Turns out, much the same, although the screams in the verses have reduced to short barks as opposed to actual maintained passages. A sign of the times I suppose. Atreyu's sound has transitioned over the years, along with a lot of other bands (including those in this post), as they have for sure grown as musicians. But it just doesn't grab me like "The Crimson" did back in the day.

Bad Religion - "What Are We Standing For": Well, if I wanted a pillar of solid unwavering musical rock to hold on to as I struggle against the current currents of sonic transitions, I could ask for no better band to provide it than Bad Religion. Just shy of 3 minutes of straight up melodic punk music that's hooky and poetically political and old-school but with a nice new school production polish. I love this band.

As for an Oldschool album:

I have found myself listening to a lot of System of a Down - "Toxicity" recently. What a colossal and defining album. From start to finish this album captures this crazy, unique sound that still feels fresh to me almost 2 decades on. Each and every song is a hit for me, and I jam out on drums to "Chop Suey" and "Toxicity" all the time. And "Aerials"! What a way to end an album.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:17:14 PM by NO1SY »

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: November 17, 2020, 03:12:12 PM »
Listening to some records & tapes this afternoon.

Ac/Dc, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Despite it's legendary title track this is not one of the band's best albums. It is their most sleazy and dirty album however, with primitive riffs and "dangerous" lyrics. Bon Scott sings firmly tongue and cheek about sex and causing mayhem. "Ride On" is one of the only songs in Ac/Dc's discography that takes a step back to reflect on Bon's lifestyle. That song is the strongest moment on the record, it's a hangover slow jam that with a genuine tone. The album is very Blues and Rock 'n Roll based, with the shuffle riff appearing on most tracks. Most explicitly on "Rocker" and "There's Gonna Be Some Rockin". 

There are some very questionable lyrics on "Love At First Feel" and "Squealer". "Big Balls" is funny the first time you hear it but that song lost all it's novelty for me. Just like "The Jack". While "Squealer" has an awful title that is repeated a million times at the end of the song, Angus rips his absolute brains out during the extended outro. In general the song structure is poor on this album, leading to 7 minute tracks like "Ain't No Fun (Waiting 'Round To Be A Millionaire)" which go nowhere after the pick-up. Ac/Dc improved dramatically with the following three records. On Highway To Hell producer Mutt Lange was able to reel the band in just enough to keep their Rock 'n Roll energy alive inside stronger song structures. Dirty Deeds is a rougher album with it's own appeal. I enjoy listening to it every now and then.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmtJd0dWqo 

Metallica, Kill 'Em All

This is an all time favorite album that I listened to heavily when I was 15. I haven't so much in recent years, opting for Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets for my Metallica fix. However Kill 'Em All is always fantastic. It's extremely energetic and shows all the talents of the band from early on. "The Four Horsemen" shows the band's ability to make long epic tracks that go over multiple sections. "Whiplash" and "Hit The Lights" are blisteringly fast Thrash Metal jams. This album even has the massive balls to put a 4 minute bass solo in with "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)". That's just how great Cliff Burton was. Kirk Hammett plays the most aggressive he ever did to keep up with Dave Mustaine's original leads. Kirk's solo on "Hit The Lights" is insane.

The simpler tracks like "Motorbreath" and "Jump In The Fire" show the band's NWOBHM influences. "No Remorse" has always been a favorite of mine for it's fast pick-up. Over time I've come to view "The Four Horsemen" as the album's finest moment. It's so well put together and kicks ass. James and Lars expanded on Dave's original track and made the perfect Metal song. "Phantom Lord" is great also with James Hetfield giving a cool scream at the end. James' vocals are not in full form here yet, he hadn't developed his big voice at this early point. I listen to the 1988 cassette version for the inclusion of their "Blitzkrieg" and "Am I Evil?" covers. This is how I've always listened to the album and it's simply not complete without "Am I Evil?" at the end. A track that caps it off great while paying tribute to one of their favorite bands. Kill 'Em All is a mess of youthful energy, I love this album for it's power and aggression.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4nCy5CITc8

Skid Row 

I've always liked this album and it's one I still need to get on record. Skid Row were a very post Guns 'n Roses 80's Rock band. They were heavy and edgier but they also had the "Hair Metal" singles including a Power Ballad. and just like GNR they were done after their first few releases. Sebastian Bach gave the music a lot of energy and attitude. The opening song "Big Guns" is absolutely fantastic and "Sweet Little Sister" kicks it as well. They are fast and Hard Rocking songs with great melodies and riffs. The songs are so catchy on this album that I can look at the titles and remember the choruses without having heard some of these tracks in 5-6 years. "CAN'T STAND THE HEARTACHE! SO BLEEDS THE RED RED ROSE!".

Of course this album has Skid Row's three hits on it. "18 and Life" is good, I may of heard it way too many times but at it's core the song is excellent. "Youth Gone Wild" turns the attitude of the other songs into something more commercial and anthemic. "I Remember You" is our acoustic power ballad. Honestly it's a great song that doesn't feel cheesy or insincere. We also have the bass driven "Piece Of Me" which is really cool. Skid Row's debut is an excellent record. It's true strength are the album songs which are even greater than the singles. On their next album Slave To The Grind they went full on heavy, I love that record as well. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoDB1ZP0Wvc

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: November 21, 2020, 11:44:35 AM »
Last weekend I didn't have enough interesting material to share so I decided to sit on it another week... Then BAM! Content!

System of a Down - "Protect the Land / Genocidal Humanoidz": WHAT!? WE ACTUALLY GOT NEW MUSIC FROM SYSTEM OF A DOWN!? Man am I glad that they got over their pay disputes... At least the first of these singles was obviously important enough to them to actually get together again. Funny that I talked about Bad Religion in my last post, because "Protect the Land" is basically exactly what I would have expected of SOAD if they decided to make a Bad Relgion song! It's steady and thumping and anthemic and political, great stuff. Genocidal Humanoidz is a bit more standard high energy SOAD. It has super fun and provocative quickfire vocals, and then, what's this!? BLAST BEATS!? Another great track. Both are a bit darker in tone than what I've heard from SOAD in a while, but I can dig that. One thing I must mention however is Serj Tankian's new vocal style... It's not bad, but it's just not as powerful as his previous efforts.

Lunatic Soul - "Through Shaded Woods": This is just such a super pleasant, evocative, immersive album to me. It is a real testament to how verstaile Mariusz Duda is with his Piccolo Bass. He seamlessly blends and weaves between scandanavian folk and folk rock and industrial electronic sounds to create these wonderfully uplifting, then deeply brooding, then captivatingly energetic tracks, which I could listen to in any mood I am in, from chilled out to wanting to rock out. This album has easily overtaken "Fractured" as my favourite Lunatic Soul record. Stunning.

Killer Be Killed - "Reluctant Hero": What happens if the guitarists and vocalists from Soulfy and The Dillinger Escape Plan, the bassist and vocalist of Mastodon, and the drummer of converge come together and form a supergroup? Pure magic is what! There are familiar sounds from all of the constituant bands here on this record, but then there is some synergy and pushing of comfort zones that pushes this collaboration to more than the sum of its parts. It's heavy, energetic, melodic, punky, thrashy, proggy, and every song is just spectacular! The three vocalists play off one another very well and even cross over into one another's ball parks a bit to really mix things up. They are all fantastic musicians so no suprises that the instrumentals are super enjoyable. I think this can tide me over for another 6 years if that's how long these guys album cycles will be...!

Aeolian - "The Negationist" and Dark Tranquility - "Moment": I'm really on a melodic death metal binge at the moment. I just find these albums really fun. Great guitar music, compared to a lot of the very rhythmic focused music I listen to. And they just make me wanna throw up my horns and headbang! I've been heading back into both these bands' back catalogues and it's super worth it, plus they are leading me to several other bands I enjoy, such as Amon Amarth, Mors Principium Est, Allegaeon and Insomnium.

Machine Head - "My Hands Are Empty": New track from Machine Head, the band that I keep on forgetting that I enjoy for some reason... I don't think their previous album was too well received generally, but there are definitely tracks I like from every release (In particular: "Imperium", "Halo", "The Locust", "Be still and Know", "Catarsis"). This track is up there. As campy as the "Woah"'s are, the atmosphere is actually pretty good and helps carry the melody well. Instrumentally the playing is solid, and the production is better than most Machine Head albums. Looking forward to more.

Dead by April - "Bulletproof": This is hands down the best Dead by April song since "Dreaming". Honestly it's nothing new from them, or even in that whole synth-core scene, but it's amazing what good production can do to properly blend the pop-like clean vocals and synths with the heavy instrumentation. It's still a bit campy, but it just sounds so much better in this track. What's more is that the band sound energetic again! Two albums of near trashy synth-core ballads and hopefully they've now come out of the other side willing to write engaging metal tracks again. Good stuff.

Harakiri For The Sky - "Sing for the Damage We've Done": So you know how I said these guys' last track reminded me of Alcest? Yeah... well they obviously went and featured them on this track! Another beautifully soaring, melodic black(ish) metal track, with much more guitar noodling and riffing and absolutely stunning drum work. I can tell that I am going to love this album when it finally comes out!

EPICA - "Abyss of Time": Yeah I just wanted to remind everyone how good this song is. I listened to the entire studio documentary for this album earlier and it has just swelled my admiration for this band. They are all super talented musicians themselves, but they've gone the distance in making this album: Getting the full Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, and both an Adult and Children's Choir, on this record to perform music that the band themselves have composed and transcribed, to go on top of multitudes of extra instruments, backing vocalists and just the works. This could possibly be this band's magnum opus. I am literally jumping out of my socks to get my ears on this whole album!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:48:29 AM by NO1SY »