October 26, 2020, 11:49:42 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 399317 times)

Online Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4980 on: June 15, 2020, 09:04:22 AM »
Sunny morning Mid-June quicklist.

The Smiths : William, It Was Really Nothing
The Byrds : I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better
Ever : Sleepyhead
The Beatles : You Won't See Me
Flow : Colours
Hearts Grow : Yura Yura
Kotoko : Being
Suwa Nanaka : So Sweet
Konomi Suzuki : Days Of Dash
Galileo Galilei : Asu e
Seiko Oomori : Imitation Girl
Dancing Dolls : Monochrome
miwa : We Are The Light
Silent Siren : alarm
BAND-MAID : Big Dad
BiSH : Hontou Honki
Bump Of Chicken : Tentai Kansoku
PASSPO : Bachelorette Wa Owaranai 

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: June 15, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »
Don't ask me why, but I woke up with it in y head, so I listened to Call Me Maybe all morning while getting ready on repeat. Unappreciated classic I tell yeh.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Online Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: June 29, 2020, 09:32:37 AM »
Summer Mori-Mori Quicklist 

SCANDAL : Stamp!
Minako Kotobuki : Bye Bye Blue
Aerosmith : Same Ol' Song and Dance
Van Halen : Secrets
KISS : Got To Choose
PASSPO : Music Navigation
BiSH : Departures
Ac/Dc : Down Payment Blues
The Beatles : Taxman
The Replacements : Valentine
GARNiDELiA : Moon Landing
Tomato n' Pine : Nanairo Namida
Sphere : Hazy
Natsumi Kiyoura : Kaze Sagashi
Silent Siren : Kakumei
ChouCho : Sleeping Butterfly
miwa : Chasing Hearts
Yui : Summer Song
Maaya Sakamoto : Million Clouds
Yoshino Nanjo : Zero Ichi Kiseki

Online Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: June 30, 2020, 04:37:46 PM »
Taeko Onuki, Mignonne

It's about time I listened to this album. It was pleasant although not too many songs stood out to me. I really really really liked "Jajauma Musume", it was a smooth jam. The rest of the album was good to have on, I actually don't have much to say. I'll listen to her other albums also.

The Doors, Morrison Hotel

A pretty full on Blues album that is laid back and weird like the other Doors albums. This record has a good vibe, some songs are just boring blues tracks but it has some great moments. "Peace Frog" has some weird moments that are cool and "Indian Summer" is amazing with it's very trippy guitar and loose feeling. This was a pretty good listen, even if it had some more generic feeling tracks.

The 13th Floor Elevators, Easter Everywhere

This is another awesome album from this kick ass 60's Psych band. They had an awesome style which is showcased on the impressive 7 minute opener "Slip Inside This House" a song that keeps the same pace and just goes verse to verse with it's cool instruments and great vocals. The singer is really fantastic. The cover of "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" is pretty good for it's spacious and loose jam. The vocals don't hit the level of emotion that Bob had but it fits nice on the album. This album is just as good as their debut. These guys were so awesome, they had garage band energy and didn't go too deep into the hippy dippy. "(I've Got) Levitation" is a heavy duty jam! 

Weyes Blood, Titanic Rising   

This was a pretty good sort of Indie Folk album. It had it's own style and there were some cool parts. It has that sort of haze and spacey feel to it which goes over the whole thing. Joni and some vague 70's country influence in parts. I enjoyed it and found it a good album to put on.   

Betty Davis, They Say I'm Different

WOW. I only heard of Betty Davis a few weeks ago and I was instantly grabbed by her amazingly badass voice. She is just a wicked chick with a super raw and dirty delivery. I was right away thinking, why haven't I heard of her before? This album grooves big time and Betty just goes all over these songs with a demanding presence. I've never heard anyone sing this way before, she has a one of a kind delivery. The kind of voice that will strike you or turn you away. She is just so awesome with so much passion and personality, every song is just sizzling. The tunes themselves are alright but it's mainly Betty's performances that make this album pop.   

Brian Eno, Another Green World

I know the guy's name but I've never heard a single song. This is a mad cool album, it's just really neat sounds and songs. The guitars and really neat keyboards. Everything is different and it has a real spirit of creation to it. It's crazy for 1976 in some songs. I like the instrumentals the most though there are some good vocal songs like "St. Elmo's Fire" (not to be confused with the awful 80's song). This is really an interesting listen and it packs a lot of cool stuff in.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: July 14, 2020, 12:30:36 PM »
Being back on the forum has obviously had an effect on me, as I've been on a bit of a Japanese Music binge for the past week...

BAND-MAID have been dropping a bunch of live videos on Youtube and it has got me listening to their latest album conqueror - "Blooming" and "Glory" are stand-out singles here. I still find it a bit cheesy with the thrown in English lyrics, but damn can this band play! I think their older stuff is a bit better liked by people, but this album is decent despite the guitars getting a bit lost in the mix.

For another all-female band that can absolutely shred, Lovebites dropped thier new album this year. Again, I'm not a huge fan of the mostly English lyrics, but then again all power metal is cheesy to some extent... I much prefered "Golden Destination" to "When Destinies Align" as a single. I also can't help but feel that this is also a vocal step down compared to their debut album... So definitely check out "The Hammer of Wrath" if you really want to rock out! (Also as a side note, this really made me want to listen to "Love Bites (So Do I)" by Halestorm...)

Not gonna lie, BABYMETAL's new album has not really done it for me this time, but I'll always be more than happy to go back to "Megitsune" and "Karate"

A relatively new band, which in English is called Zigzag, has been impressing me recently, check these out, from what I assume is their upcoming album!?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nfHgpHMKgA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uGY5n0CJOo

I found MY FIRST STORY from watching Kengan Ashura on Netflix - "King & Ashley". Their back-catalogue isn't too bad either! - "Tomorrowland"

Crossfaith did an ever energetic cover of Linkin Park's "Faint" with Masato from Coldrain on their latest album. This is the live video! Also just check out "Monolith" already!

Dir En Grey are a special band. "The Final", "Dozing Green", "Ranunculus".

You think they're weird!? Try MAXIMUM THE HORMONE! They're like an even better Static-X! "What's Up, People?!" and they've been getting more hardcore recently! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKZbHjy9GWM

"Unravel" is basically a J-Rock staple now, and TK did a stellar job of it for Tokyo Ghoul. But check out this English version by Jonathan Young! His cover of "Guren no Yumiya" is epic also!

Crystal Lake are just a rock solid Japanese metalcore band that have the English chops that equal and probably excede Coldrain. "Watch Me Burn"

There was a really cool Japanese folk black metal artist I found recently too, but I cannot remember his name for the life of me...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:20:18 PM by NO1SY »

Online Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: July 14, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »
BAND-MAID are one of my top favorites. Conqueror is good but World Domination is amazing. That album is their best to me, especially "anemone" and "Daydreaming". Just Bring It is also really good. Conqueror is more of a crafty album, lots of details in the songs. "Blooming" is certainly my favorite on the album, it just kicks it for the whole length.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: July 27, 2020, 05:47:53 PM »
The Ocean - “Jurassic | Cretaceous”
This. Song. Is. The. Sh*t.

Otherwise I found a Japanese band called Unlucky Morpheus the other week when I was getting links for all that bunch of music. Not gonna lie, I’m a sucker for symphonic metal! Unlucky Morpheus - “Unending Sorceress” + “Takiyasha Princess”

Lastly, if you just want a fun, silly, spoofy electronicore jam, then Germany has you covered! Eskimo Callboy - “Hypa Hypa”

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:51:57 PM by NO1SY »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: July 31, 2020, 06:37:03 PM »
So I’m pretty sure I’ve stumbled upon what I can only describe as Japanese “Dad Metal”, but damn if I couldn’t watch this bass player pull faces all day! And not gonna lie, they sure can rock out!! Ningen Isu - “The Color Out of Space”, “Heartless Scat”, “Life for Sale”

I’ve only recently gotten into black metal, and I’ve found that rather than the lo-fi stuff, I prefer the super epic sounding stuff, especially if it has elements of folk! Inexorum- “Moonlit Navigation” and “Oroboric State” are just that! In fact, their whole Moonlit Navigation album is freakin’ outstanding!

One of my favourite Stick to Your Guns songs is “Nothing You Can Do To Me“ off of 2015’s Disobedient. It’s about being good to your dogs!

Sabaton are one of the biggest metal bands in the world right now. They write songs about historical war events. Sometimes it’s cool and real history: Sabaton - “Seven Pillars of Wisdom”, “Attack of the Dead Men”, “82nd All the Way”, “Great War”, “Rorke’s Drift”, “Winged Hussars”; and some cool but quite romanticised history...: “Sparta” and “Shiroyama”... Nevertheless, I fully guarantee that each and every song is epic and awesome!

Covet are great for when I just want to chill but still listen to some really cool instrumentals. Yvette Young is a super talented guitarist and creatively reaching the levels of Polyphia and CHON and other prominent Math Rockers making waves. And the drummer just looks so happy all the time! Covet - “Falkor”, “Shibuya”, “Sea Dragon”, “Glimmer”, “Nero”, “Parachute” (This one has very pretty vocals :) )

On a side note, but unfortunately somewhat related as I have previously recommended them on this thread several years ago, the frontman for the band I The Mighty, Brent Walsh, has been accused (rather credibly) of sexual assault. As a PSA to everyone, please be responsible, communicative and respectful of others at all times, and if someone says no, just be ok with that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 06:59:32 PM by NO1SY »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: August 10, 2020, 05:06:23 PM »
So I’ve been a bit bummed out because the New Eidola Record “The Architect” has been postponed due to uncertainty in the pandemic and not being able to tour it... “To Speak, To Listen” (this playlist is missing the last song... :( ) is easily one of my favourite records from 2017. Thankfully, I could listen to the outro of “Sri Vishnu Yantra” on repeat indefinitely! Check out their video for “Tetelestai” also. If any of you like Dance Gavin Dance (who just dropped “Afterburner”), Eidola will be right up your alley, albeit taking a slightly more serious and ambient tone with all of the fiddly guitars and punchy vocals to boot. They are signed to the DGD guitarist’s record label and there is a lot of interplay between the bands.

Some great news that has tided me over is a new Mastodon single: “Fallen Torches” from their upcoming album “Medium Rarities”. I am super excited for a new album from these giants, and really happy to see Troy’s vocals getting some of that heaviness back (although I really would love to see him go back to those “Leviathan” days or even further back to “Remission” in their sludge metal days!). Here’s hoping that this is a trend across the whole album!

Not only do we have new music from one prog-metal titan, but GOJIRA also dropped a new single: “Another World”. This song has a great driving guitar riff and is a comfortable follow on from 2016’s “Magma” while also shedding some of that shoegazeyness and bringing back some of that earlier GOJIRA sound. Looking forward to more!

Prog is really coming in hot this year! Haken released their rather timely named album “Virus” as a follow up to 2018’s “Vector”. These guys can get super creative musically, and while I sometimes find Ross’ vocals to be a little jarring over some of the heavier instrumentals (which I absolutely love on this album), they managed to pull of a great album here. I can’t quite decide if I like this more than 2013’s “The Mountain”, but it’s close.

Avatar is rounding up the bunch from me today with “Hunter Gatherer”. While not quite as wacky as “Avatar Coutry”, this album probably sounds distinctly more “Avatar” and focused, with a lot more brutality. I think it’s great!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 05:10:07 PM by NO1SY »

Online Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: August 17, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »
Morning quicklist. Man I love the Gundam songs. Flying In The Sky is the best song to listen to in the shower ever, strange detail but true.

Yoshifumi Ushima: FLYING IN THE SKY
Romantic Mode: DREAMS
Lumi Ohishi : It's Just Love!
ClariS: Step
Utada Hikaru: Can You Keep A Secret?
Yui: My Generation
miwa: Chasing Hearts
Aimer: Koiwazurai
AZALEA: Tokimeki Bunruigaku
Ray: sign
fhana: Relief
the peggies: weekend
Chiwa Saito: Staple Stable
SCANDAL: Mado Wo Aketara
Mami Ayukawa: Hoshizora no Believe   

Online Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: September 07, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »
The big my monochrome world starts to turn again quicklist.

Sonic Youth: Teenage Riot
Yoshifumi Ushima: Trust You Forever
Dua Lipa: Cool
Charli XCX: detonate
Bruce Springsteen: Two Hearts
The Stooges: Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
White Lion: Lady of the Valley
Scorpions: Dynamite
Nick Drake: From The Morning
Journey: Still They Ride
The Rolling Stones: Waiting On A Friend
Ray: secret arms
miwa: 321
YOU'LL MELT MORE: Dahlia
BiSH: Super Hero Music
ClariS: Grasp
Dream Theater: Through Her Eyes
Janet Jackson: Lonely
Utada Hikaru: Kotoba ni Naranai Kimochi
Eagles: Try and Love Again
Linkin Park: Pushing Me Away
The Doors: L.A. Woman     
Mikuni Shimokawa: Karenai Hana     
Lumi Ohishi: It's Just Love!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 01:58:42 PM by Manimal »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: September 13, 2020, 07:05:25 PM »
I have been really enjoying the new Oceans of Slumber self-titled album recently. Musically I get a lot of Opeth influence coming through, but with a great modern metal skin. I really love the vocalist also, I think she has a really beautiful and powerful voice that really elevates an already super solid progressive doom metal band. The drummer kills it on this album too!

The Ocean Collective are quickly becoming one of my favourite bands. I am really excited for their upcoming release that will land at the end of the month, and I have been listening to their previous album (which is the part one to this follow up) in anticipation. Moreover, I do love me a concept album, and this band basically only makes those! "Phanerozoic I: Paleozoic" Just sounds massive. These albums continue the band's journey throughout the history of earth and the universe, covering the geological aeon starting with the Cambrian period and moving into the Palaeozoic era, and the next album will finish that journey with the Mesozoic and Cenozoic. Elements of their music remind me of Between the Buried and Me, another great prog metal band, only The Ocean seem to tend towards more doom/black metal elements over jazz fusion stuff.

Moving slightly away from Prog, I have really been enjoying Mushroomhead's new album "A Wonderful Life" since the early summer. In particular "The Heresy" is such a tune! The vocal licks in the prechorus and chorus as just so catchy and cool! Adding Jackie LaPonza as an official band member was entirely the right decision! This video kicks ass too!

In Flames have re-recorded their "Clayman" album for its 20th anniversary. Now... this has not gone down great with fans because of some... questionable production decisions on the instrumentals, where they have just compressed out nearly all of the attack... although I honestly think that Anders' Vocals sound waaaaaaay better. "Only For The Weak" is probably the best re-recording they did. It really did get me to go back and listen to the original album release a lot though! If you can tolerate some slightly rougher vocals, I highly recommend it, as it is the album that really put them on the map and influenced literally huge swathes of melodic metal bands afterwards.

Really happy to see a new Killer be Killed album on the way this year! I had no idea that this supergroup were gonna make more music, but heck if I'm not pleasantly surprised! "Deconstructing Self-Distruction" rocks super hard and each vocalist - Troy Sanders of Mastodon, Max Cavalera of Soulfly, and Greg Puciato of The Dillinger Escape Plan - each sound at the top of their game. To be honest I've been missing Greg since Dillinger packed it in, and I always love to hear Troy belt some heavier vocals again. (Check out "Wings of Feather and Wax" from their previous release also :) )

This reminds me that Mastodon dropped their B-sides/Live album "Medium Rarities", which has some really cool new music on there. I mentioned "Fallen Torches" last time, so this time check out "White Walker" for something completely different and really cool! Some of the band members were wildlings/white walkers in that really epic final scene of GoT season 7 as the boats are leaving the docks. They should have played this song as the credits rolled...

Lastly, for some reason I have found myself really enjoying some old classics. In particular R.E.M's "The One I Love" and The La's "There She Goes", just very iconic and solid songs, with just the right amount of rock and interesting melodies for me!

Online Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: September 26, 2020, 11:24:00 AM »
Is it the seasonal time for breaking out the 80's Rock records? Ya baby.

RATT, Invasion Of Your Privacy
This is an utterly killer guitar album. Warren DeMartini and Robbin Crosby deliver the goods with amazing riffage and solos. The rhythm playing is super tight and badass on this record and the riffs are so good. "Lay It Down" has the most iconic riff of all Hair Metal. "Never Use Love" is brilliant, such a simple but powerful Rock song. "Closer To My Heart" is a great Rock Ballad without cheese or false sentiment like later Power Ballads. "Got Me On The Line" is always a song I've liked. RATT had a very distinct guitar sound. The drums are pretty good on this album, lots of good fills and some more interesting hi-hat and cymbal patterns than the standard fare. Overall I really do enjoy revisiting this record.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcdK3yBIBg

Cinderella, Night Songs
I haven't listened to this album in many years. When I want to listen to Cinderella I always go for Long Cold Winter since it represents the sound the band wanted much better. 14-15 year old me loved so much of Night Songs. "Shake Me" is still great fun, it's like a glammier version of Whitesnake's "Slide It In". "Nobody's Fool" is the other big hit. It's one of those first era Hair Metal power ballads, before the acoustic guitars and pianos came in. It's very melodramatic. The rest of the album is what it's really about however. "Nothin' For Nothin'" was always a favorite. "Once Around The Ride" is an awesome rocker I had forgotten about, as is "Hell On Wheels". "Push Push" was one of my first songs I learnt on bass. It's such a simple and typical Hair Metal riff but its good. The album cover and singles give the wrong idea. It was carefully constructed by the record label for MTV success. Going beyond "Nobody's Fool" and "Shake Me" you will find a very enjoyable Rock album!   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WIWUOQq7YI

Motley Crue, Too Fast For Love
The Crue are one band that fell out of favor with me, but this is still an awesome album. I have both versions and I went with the 1982 remix. Mick Mars got a pretty disgusting and awesome guitar tone on this record. He is easily the best part of the band and this album shows that. The songwriting is weak on this album with many primitive and poor songs. It gets by on good energy. There are some decent songs like "Take Me To The Top" and "Live Wire". "Merry-Go-Round" is good until the chorus and "On With The Show" is one of their greatest songs. I think Motley Crue were only good for their first two albums when they actually had a drive and balls behind their music. But honestly Too Fast For Love isn't that good an album nor anything special. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXVTax5JAZI

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: October 02, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »
So I'm not sure I'd have ever thought I'd still be listening to skater post-hardcore in 2020, but the new The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - "The Emergency EP" absolutely slaps! On top of just being really sonically fun and relatively modern, it actually deals with some really important issues in the world in surprisingly mature candor. And this was all recorded in the back of a tour bus!? I really do miss their 2006 debut sound though. It just sounded so massive! The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - "Don't You Fake It"

Double this surprise because Less Than Jake just dropped a new single “Lie To Me”. I’m getting flashbacks to Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2! (Great game, looking forward to chilling out and playing the remake sometime...)

The Ocean - "Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic". IT'S. HERE!!

Lunatic Soul - "The Passage" (from upcoming album "Through Shaded Woods") is a really, really cool song. It starts as some straight up scandinavian, folky acoustic rock, before building into some awesome Lunatic Soul dark sounding electronics. I'm pretty sure they sampled the Skyrim soundtrack too :P Their 2017 album "Fractured" is still one of my favourites to chill out to.

Deftones are a band that took me while to get into, but once I heard "Diamond Eyes" back in 2010 I was hooked, vibing with the more accessible, less shoegazey sound. Despite really enjoying that album and the two since, they kinda always fly beneath my radar for some reason... So I was very happy to see the band drop their new album: Deftones - "Ohms". It's riffy. Its atmospheric. It sounds huge!

Youtuber Hungry Lights (Justin Bonitz) and Max Portnoy (son of the prestigious Mike Portnoy) teamed up to form the band Tallah, who have just dropped their debut album Tallah - "Matriphagy" (unfortunately not all of the songs are available on Youtube yet...). They've just exploded into the metal scene with a sound that marries the old-school Nu Metal of Slipknot and Korn, with the new school Nu Metalcore of Code Orange and Fire From The Gods. They've produced a fresh but nostalgic, frenetic, heavy, gory concept album that is just blowing everyone, me included, away.

Not heard much from the Pacific region of the world recently... only a new Spiritbox track featuring Ryo Kinosh*ta of Crystal Lake. Spiritbox - "Holy Roller feat. Ryo Kinosh*ta". It's heavy as hell and as per usual I am impressed by both Courtney LaPlante's vocals, as well as Ryo's - they are a couple of the most powerful growlers in the metalcore world right now. Otherwise it's just kinda a standard metalcore song with a cool riff and some interesting electronic breaks.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:43:01 PM by NO1SY »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: October 09, 2020, 12:58:03 PM »
Okey dokey! Been quite a week for music!

First up, some new singles! Epica - "Abyss of Time". This song is... uhmmm.... EPIC :sure: Seriously though, this song is so freakin' good! I've been kinda lukewarm towards Epica previously. I think their brand of modern symphonic metal just never hit hard enough or sounded big enough for me. But this song checks all my boxes and more.

Soilwork -"Death Diviner". Some straight up, riffy, soaring heavy metal, from one of the most recognisable voices in melodic metal. I'm a bit sad it's not a lead up to a new album yet, just the end of a trilogy of songs, but hopefully it materialises into more.

Killer Be Killed - "Dream Gone Bad". Here we answer the question "What would it sound like for a metal supergroup to write 2000's post-hardcore?". Well, turns out they're pretty good at it! Was going to say something like: "Not gonna lie, I prefer when they crunch a bit more than croon..." and then that outro hit and I was like :ohmy:
(Greg Puciato has also released a solo album "Child Soldier: Creator of God" and oh man this takes me back to that old school Dilinger chaos!)

The Unguided have released their new album "Father Shadow" today. They released 3 singles in the lead up, two of which were good - "Crown Prince Syndrome" and "Never Yield", and one only yesterday that was a bit dull... Turns out this album has more akin to the former however! I must admit I miss Roland's voice (check out "Eye of the Thylacine" and "Enraged"), but Jonathan does a good job regardless, just different. What's super nostalgic to me on this album is that they've redone two classic Sonic Syndicate songs - "Denied" and "Jack of Diamonds"!!!

Amaranthe dropped the highly anticipated "Manifest". While I find their pop-elements to be a little campy sometimes (I will probably be skipping "Scream my Name" in future...), this really is a high energy album! All 4 singles for the album "Fearless", "Viral", "Strong", and "Archangel" are all absolute stand-out tracks. In fact, I think Archangel is possibly Amaranthe at their strongest because of the layered vocals! I really wish they would do that more often as opposed to just trading off. Anyways, this is one to have fun with.

And lastly, I leave you with an oldy but a goody that was my dog walking album yesterday! Killswitch Engage - "Alive Or Just Breathing", one of the all time greats of melodic metalcore. Innovative for being about hope and uplifting messages as opposed to all the doom and gloom in metal at the time, and also a great marriage musically of heavy and harsh with melodic and catchy. This sparked the band's success but also the minds of metallers everywhere still to this day.