March 29, 2024, 02:35:32 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 770953 times)

Offline Hati

• The werewolf
  • genderqueer: he or she
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4965 on: February 14, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »
Just got back to listening to Coldplay. I can't believe how much I missed them.
Their new music kinda sucks really. :P I think Ghost Stories was their best album.

Also I discovered Honne and Boy Pablo and they're really good. You should look it up :3
Pink moon's gonna get you all.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: March 16, 2020, 10:04:42 AM »
Beatles VI

I love the American Beatles albums and I finally got a copy of VI! A nice purple label version as well, which as with my copy of Sgt. Pepper is a high quality pressing. This is a good album with songs from Beatles For Sale and three from Help along with some bonuses. "Yes It Is" is a great song with an excellent down beat melody. "Bad Boy" is a cool cover with almost charmingly unfitting puny guitar lines between vocals. It goes along with "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" which has always been a song I loved for it's hard rocking. This album is heavy on John Lennon and showcases how great his vocals used to be before the band stopped touring. Thankfully there is also no Ringo vocal song. As a consequence Yesterday & Today is soured by two Ringo tracks since "Act Naturally" is not on Beatles VI. This record sounds great in Stereo, much better than the awful Stereo mix of Rubber Soul for instance. Although the drums are panned everything sounds in place and extra guitars can be heard. "You Like Me Too Much" and "Tell Me What You See" stand out in mix and clarity. I like "Kansas City" as the opener and "Every Little Thing" as the ender. The American albums are worth it for a change up and a nice shuffle to things. There is something I love about the cutting apart and rearranging which makes really neat records like Second Album, Something New and Beatles VI. This one is worth having.

Janet Jackson, Rhythm Nation 1819

I've finally got this album on record! Rhythm Nation is not only Janet's best album but one of the finest Pop releases of the late 80's, with a heavy New Jack Swing style. It retains a great concept throughout and has a good variety. The first part of the album is good and it touches on a lot of important issues of the time and today, balanced with good fun like "Love Will Never Do (Without You)". "Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)" is a major highlight. Side 2 however is where this album takes off. "Escapade" is a masterpiece, my favorite Janet song. It's just pure Fun with a lot of great songs. The last three songs however are where things slow down and man, these are amazing tracks. "Lonely", "Come Back To Me" and "Someday is Tonight" have remarkable sounds and vocals. I love that the album starts big but cools down and mellows out with this trio. Rhythm Nation 1819 is a really great album and a good one to have in my collection.

Nancy Sinatra, Boots 

A pretty novel and fun album of various covers from the day and her famous song. "These Boots" is hardly the highlight of the album with an awesome energetic version of "Day Tripper" and sort of Bossa Nova version of "As Tears Go By". This is a very mid 60's album, the horns are a little out of control and there is plenty tambourine to go around. Her vocals are cool, very casual and natural. The gender swap version of "Run For Your Life" is a fun note to end on. I think this is a neat album, it's nothing crazy, certainly extremely contemporary but I do like this era of music and all the tunes.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: March 25, 2020, 09:09:30 AM »
The Beatles, Long Tall Sally 

I finally got it! Long Tall Sally is one of three Canadian exclusive Beatles albums. It's basically an adjusted version of The Beatles Second Album. Since "She Loves You" is on the previous Canadian release Twist & Shout this album opens with "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "I Saw Her Standing There". It also includes "This Boy" and "Misery". It removes "She Loves You", "Thank You Girl" and "Money". It has three songs that were on Beatlemania previously, which was the Canadian title for With The Beatles. Unlike Second Album this record removes the heavy reverb instead going for the classic clean sound. It says it's in stereo but it thankfully doesn't sound like it. I do like the reverb Capital added on Second Album which gives the songs a lot of beef and rawness that lacks in the original With The Beatles recordings. 

Long Tall Sally is a neat oddity to have, it's certainly not as good as Second Album. "Roll Over Beethoven" was the perfect opener, and now it's the fifth track sloppily inserted after "Devil In Her Heart". It's worth it for the inclusion of "This Boy", a masterpiece, and I just love all the variations on the band's catalog and the different shuffled up releases. Second Album and Long Tall Sally are unique for including "You Can't Do That" and of course the fantastic "I Call Your Name" and "Long Tall Sally". The latter being the only good Little Richard cover I've heard. This is a fun record to have.

The Early Beatles

This 1965 release is a shuffled up version of Please Please Me from Capital that omits three songs. I don't know what they where thinking cutting the great tracks "Misery" and "There's A Place" when they could've removed the horrible cover of "A Taste Of Honey" and given the second side six songs. The stereo pressing has a nice sounding mono of "Love Me Do" and then a very echoy and hefty sounding mix on the other songs, which is off putting at first but interesting ultimately. The panning gives John's powerful vocals on "Anna (Go To Him)" great presence as he bursts out the right speaker.

"Please Please Me" has become my favorite Beatles song, I find it exciting every time. I think it's a truly perfect song and I love the flawed recording. It's pure electricity. I feel such a real energy from the track. "Ask Me Why" is also a beloved song for me along with "Baby It's You". I don't mind the stereo mix of this album. John Lennon gives my favorite vocal performances of all time on these songs, I just feel such real power and genuine energy. There is no reason to own this record unless you want all the Capital albums. Since I'm having another Beatles craze at the moment I'm enjoying my new additions.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: March 30, 2020, 04:53:00 PM »
I've been all over the 60's stuff again. I'm in yet another Beatles craze which naturally leads to the Byrds, Stones, Bob Dylan, Beach Boys and such.

The Byrds : Mr. Tambourine Man & Turn, Turn, Turn are full of gems. While the band never made a fully good album "Mr. Tambourine Man" is a shining once in a career masterpiece. A perfect interpretation of Bob Dylan's original with added melody and Roger McGuinn's ever classic 12-string. The Byrds didn't have a lot of great album songs though. "It's No Use" is cool and Turn, Turn, Turn has some standouts like "It Won't Be Wrong" and "The World Turns All Around Her". Mr. Tambourine Man just has such innovation and creative spirit, all thanks to that 12-string. The solo in "The Bells Of Rhymney" is brilliant.

The Beach Boys : Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!). I don't really like this album, I pretty much just listen to it for the amazing one two punch of "California Girls" and "Let Him Run Wild". The latter is Pet Sounds tier and "California Girls" is impossibly catchy. "Girl Don't Tell Me" is such an embarrassing song. There is something that makes me come back though. Bob Dylan : Bringing It All Back Home. Hell ya, I love...most of this album. "Outlaw Blues" sucks but that aside it's always a great listen. You have more melodic band songs and every lyric on side 2 is amazing. 

Iron Butterfly : In-A-Gadda-La-Vida. This one is pretty cool on relisten, side 1 has some solid Rock jams. Of course the big 17 minute jam that is side 2 is just crazy and awesome. It's a real experience to listen to and that main riff is so catchy. The Zombies : Odessey And Oracle. This is only the second time I've listened to this album since I came across it almost 4 years ago. I forgot how awesome "Care Of Cell 44" is. That song is just fantastic, a real gem! The rest of the album is fine, it has it's moments but I've always thought the band to be highly overrated and nothing special. There are only a few stand out moments and memorable tracks on this album. "Care Of Cell 44" is so good the rest of the album is nothing. Even "Time Of The Season".

and new to me I listened to the Small Faces' debut and it SMOKED. Wow what a wicked album! It kicked hardcore with these amazing drums and a high energy through the whole record. It was insane, Led Zeppelin ripped these guys off so hard. This album packed so much life and electricity, it was an instant kick. This led to The Sonics album The Sonics Boom. Yes, I forgot about these guys. They were so awesome and they rocked so hard.

I checked out some sort of Indie Jangle bands from a compilation that had the Beach Fossils on it. I like the Beach Fossils quite a bit but these other bands are like 5 seconds of "nice" and then it's boring. I like the sounds but just...there's nothing there. Blouse was boring, DIIV was boring. Wild Nothing's latest EP Laughing Gas was more interesting though, I outta revisit some of those songs because it was kind of neat with some other 80's elements. I was disappointed but I don't want to give up on the hunt for more Jangle music. There has to be more out there that I'll like.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: April 08, 2020, 05:07:48 PM »
Vanilla Fudge 

Big extended melodramatic psychedelic covers of 60's hits that are supposed to give a more literally musically version of the lyrics. The songs are drawn out with heavy organ based jams and very slow tempos. It starts with a smoking cover of "Ticket To Ride" which just kicks it. Really great groove and feeling, nothing in the instrumental sounds like the original. It's how a cover song is done, taking the words and basic melody and doing something new and reimagined. "People Get Ready" uses the organ for a more gospel feel. "Bang Bang" was terrible though, I hated the vocals and what they did with the song. Carmine Appice plays drums on the album, he makes the songs heavy and is easily the best part. The second half has a suite "Illusions Of My Childhood" running through the three songs. "You Keep Me Hanging On" being their classic, it's a pretty heavy duty song for the time. The long intro to "Eleanor Rigby" is basically a waste of time. The rest of the cover stinks as well, bad vocals and just so boring. This album is uneven and extremely overdone. Worth it for a few songs and their slamming take on "Ticket To Ride". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfwg9noxo0   

The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

YES! THIS IS THE GOOD KIND OF PSYCHEDELIA! This is heavy duty hard kicking Rock 'n Roll music with a weird twist. The music grooves like mad and it has the urgent feel of Garage Rock with more refined structures and detailed instrumentals. It sounds like a crazy adventure with driving rhythms and unique personality filled vocals. "You're Gonna Miss Me" is a remarkable opener than gets you in right from the start. "Roller Coaster" is an absolutely amazing song! At 5 minutes long it's a real trip with some wild sounds going throughout along with this insane drum beat. "Fire Engine" has Surf Rock riffs and silly but fun siren backing vocals. This is genuine and joyous Rock music. It has the spark of joy and creation that powers all the best music. I'm just blown away by this album and I need to have it in my collection right away. Not every song was good but overall this was just a kick ass album.

Pure whacked out Rock 'n Roll music to it's core. This is just amazing I feel high powered! This is what I want out of Psychedelic music. Everything has it's place, Vanilla Fudge, The Zombies, Cream whatever. Rock 'n Roll is what I'm looking for though and this is my kind of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKny8WnktI   

Strawberry Alarm Clock, Incense and Peppermints 

I came in ready to hate it. From the terrible band name to the even worse album name I thought it was going to the kind of Psychedelia I despise. But then "The World's On Fire" started and I was like...alright. It's an 8 minute song with a cool jam, heavy drums and cool guitars. Yes it has the organ going but on this song it was cool. This album is neat, it has crazy parts and the songs go to wild. It has a spark and life to it, very organic feeling tracks. "Lose to Live" spins out of control and keeps returning into different melodic sections, it does a lot in 3 minutes. There is also a JAZZ FLUTE on songs like "Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow" and I absolutely adore the JAZZ FLUTE and any use it gets. Side 2 isn't nearly as good. Only in 1967 could "Incense and Peppermints" be a #1 hit. Compared to other enduring excellent #1 singles from the year like "Light My Fire", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane" and "Hello Goodbye" this song is EXTREMELY dated and does not hold up today. Most of this album is good for a listen though it has some cool parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJTiwNdF4Q 

The Doors, LA Woman 

Oh man, I just laid down and listened to this album, eyes closed just chilling. It was a great experience to just exist and stop looking at stuff although I just found out I fell asleep and missed "Hyacinth House" and "Crawling King Snake" entirely so I went back to listen to them. I had no idea that happened. This album is pretty good, very Blues and with bass and rhythm guitar to fill the sound out. The songs are jamming and it's a perfect album to listen to closely since the organ and guitar parts are so cool. The rhythm section is super tight and the drums and bass weave through the various parts of "L.A. Woman" so smoothly. It all feels organic and perfectly recorded. Jim Morrison sings great. "The Changeling" is an awesome Funky song, "Love Her Madly" is classic and "Riders on the Storm" is a wonderful relaxed song, the storm sounds providing great visual ambiance. "L.A. Woman" is a powerhouse, an awesome track that manages to feel improvised like it's all playing out naturally. I didn't really like "L'America" and "The WASP" but now hearing the two songs I feel asleep to in-between it flows better. Overall this is an excellent record with atmosphere and space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPQn5XwW8aY

Bo Diddley

BO DIDDLEY! One of the most important people and songs to influence Rock 'n Roll. I mean this guy made the most iconic and identifiable beat of all time that countless people have ripped off, much like Chuck Berry's licks. "Bo Diddley" still brings so much electricity today, it's such an awesome song. But how about the rest of this album? Honestly I was thinking it would be a bunch of rehashes but no this is an awesome collection of high powered Blues with crazy rhythms, awesome vocals and guitars. 1958 and it still sounds so awesome & clear with real power in the performances. The drums on "Hey! Bo Diddley" and "Hush Your Mouth" are insane. "Who Do You Love" has crazy lyrics! and he wrote everything as well! Being influential is one thing, that's all fine and good for history but all that matters is if you the listener enjoy it, otherwise why listen to it? and this is one awesome album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKYSAfbOCPc   

The Brothers Johnson, Right On Time 

Damn, this is something I need on record. A perfect night album that requires the pops and crackle to come alive. A funky easy on the ears set of great tunes produced by none other than Quincy Jones. It's awesome and super 70's, it has the Funk, Disco and Smooth Jazz feeling. The instrumentation is just fantastic, it's a very tight and well put together album. "Strawberry Letter 23" is just outstanding, an amazing instrumental break and super melody. Some instrumentals along the way. "Q" is smooth and "Brother Man" is an outstanding piece of Funk. "Never Leave You Lonely" goes from easy listening and smooth to grooving super hard in the chorus. "Love Is" ends the album on a perfect note, a simple love track with acoustics and keyboards...awesome. I love the vibe of this album, it's just great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rquygdjf0d8
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:12:07 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: April 10, 2020, 08:06:56 PM »
Greylist playlist of the daylist.

George Harrison : Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)
Morrisey : Everyday Is Like Sunday
Dua Lipa : Cool
Haru Nemuri : Trust Nothing But Love
iri : Aitaiwa
YUI : U-niform
POLKADOT STINGRAY : JET
Genie High : Fuben Na Kawaige (ft. AiNA THE END)
PEDRO : Kanshou Ouka   
At The Drive In : Invalid Litter Dept.
Dream Theater : Through Her Eyes 
Tame Impala : Lost In Yesterday
Thundercat : I Love Louis Cole   
Kero Kero Bonito : When The Fires Come   
Beach Fossils : Vacation
Small Faces : You Better Believe It
The Doors : L.A. Woman
Leonard Cohen : Suzanne 
Bob Dylan : Girl From The North Country
Sonic Youth : Unwind
Linkin Park : Shadow Of The Day 
Bernard Herrmann : I Still Can't Sleep/They Cannot Touch Her (Betsy's Theme)
Carly Rae Jepsen : Roses   
Seiko Oomori :  Kimi Ni Todoku Na (kitixxxgaia ver)
Utada Hikaru : Sakura Nagashi 

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:23:23 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: April 22, 2020, 03:38:04 PM »
Radiohead, In Rainbows

I...like this. I've been here and there (mostly there) about Radiohead but I haven't tried to listen to them in almost 3 years. I found In Rainbows to be a very nice album with vivid atmosphere and very unique twists, melodies and percussion. It starts off weird and uncertain but gets into very nice territory once we hit "Nude". From here it's all good stuff, very interesting with so many odd bits like the unintelligible harmonies in "Reckoner" that I feel in my soul and don't even understand why. I really liked the strings and beat on the song. "House Of Cards" also hit, I think something about these songs connects with the loneliness, melancholy and uncertainty that life has become in the last month. I barely know what Thom Yorke is singing but this is the first time I've liked his vocals. I quite enjoyed this album and it's unique feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbWBRnDK_AE 

Nick Drake, Pink Moon 

Jeez this album is a major. bummer, it really brought the sad emotions. At only 28 minutes this is a striking set of sparse intimate songs. The lyrics cut and the delivery is super emotive and crushing. Lots of variety in the acoustic accompaniments and a voice that took me slightly off guard at first but then I settled in. I liked "Place To Be" and "From The Morning" the most. The latter really got to me with it's message about enjoying life and all the small beauties while you can. Even the instrumental "Hook" is as bleak as the rest of the album. The songs are all fairly short so nothing overstays it's welcome. Some songs like "Parasite" are clearly better and more worked than others like "Know". It's a decent record with a heavily grey mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwa71b33GBg           

Nas, Illmatic 

It's about time I listened to this album. Wow. This is a relentless and amazing album, every verse is just packed and hits heavy. There are no interludes or anything to hold it back. and at 38 minutes it's the perfect length to not get tiring. The verses are so dense you have to follow along or you get lost right away. Nas' rapping is just fantastic and his tone along with the production makes for the most transient rapping I've ever heard. "N.Y. State Of Mind" is an absolute smoke show with two insane verses that you just follow along with the lyrics like, no way. "The World Is Yours" was a major highlight also. Verse 3 of "One Love" was insane, it was like he needed the other verses to warm up into this absolutely explosion. "It Ain't Hard To Tell" has a nice sample of Michael Jackson's "Human Nature". This was a great listen and not overblown in length like it seems a lot of rap albums are. Just 10 fantastic tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwSfbE9IXc 

Madvillain, Madvillainy 

I knew this was a legendary album but I didn't know what to expect. This was a very busy album full of twists, stunning bars, cool production and samples and all kinds of details. It was a lot to take in on first listen, and I lost track of things after the first few songs. MF DOOM brings such a slick flow and there are so many cool bits with his timing and rhymes. "Great Day" being the highlight for me. The lyrics on "Shadows of Tomorrow" were so insane. I have to listen to this one again but I did enjoy it, very fun. I haven't listened to much if any Rap in the last 2 years so there is a lot to catch up on. I certainly enjoyed Illmatic more of these two since it was more direct, but Madvillainy seems like an album that needs multiple listens to appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS1cggllfig 

Charli XCX, Charli 

I missed this one last year. On first listen I was a little off-put and it reminded me why I never listened to Pop 2 again despite the great songs. But listening again I was way more impressed and found this to be a really excellent record. Charli brings fantastic juicy Pop hooks on these weird instrumentals with layers of vocal effects. There are a lot of turns like "Click" and of course the insane "Shake It". Right from the start "Next Level Charli" is a super good opener, followed with a set of solid tunes. The strongest run starts in the second half with "White Mercedes", "Silver Cross", "I Don't Wanna Know" and "Official". I don't like the rap cameos on here, especially the awful verse in "Click". Not on the collabs work for my tastes and I prefer when it's just Charli but I really like "Warm" with HAIM. "Blame It On Your Love" has an irresistible chorus. I think Charli really did something great here. This album goes in some wild directions, and while I prefer the more forward tracks it makes for an overall excellent experience. The second listen really made it click for me. I do hate "Shake It" though, it's just such a dumb and over the top song lyrically and it feels out of place. It's the track that stinks it up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKBCLHAq1do
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:05:24 PM by Manimal »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: April 22, 2020, 10:11:14 PM »
One of these days you're going to have to sum up just how much of this thread is the original version (randomly saying what's in your ears right now), and how much is the Manimal version (in depth album reviews). By weight I think it might be a close battle.

To go entirely out of left field, I've been listening to old pro-labor  folk songs (I promise it's a real genre). Workers movements used to be a lot more hardcore I tells yah. Of course it's generally looked down on for companies to hire cops to just start murdering strikers, but y'know. Gotta keep the solidarity going even when the oppression isn't as out in the open as it used to be.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: April 24, 2020, 04:22:58 PM »
I think there's about 150+ pages before I joined the forum but ya I've basically posted about every album I've heard for the first time since 2014 on here. I miss the days when I had back-up in here...Paipis posting about stuff, NO1SY sharing some Metal and Vio dropping in some Nightcore or weird mash-ups. Today I'm revisiting some albums I only listened to once.

The Stooges, Raw Power (Iggy Mix)

Oooh boy, there is a lot more to this album "Search and Destroy". A dirty, grimy and pure Rock 'n Roll album in the purest sense that deserves it's name. "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" is a disgusting satisfying slimy jam that outshines all other classic Punk with it's hard stepping groove and super loud vocal. It's more heavy duty than almost anything I've ever heard. The extreme brutalizing power smashes your head in for nearly 5 minutes and it's so invigorating. James Williamson lays down riffs that are full of muscle and badass hard driving rhythms, seen on the likes of "Penetration" and "Raw Power". On "I Need Somebody" the group overdrive the Blues Shuffle into something exciting and trashy with extra riffs and fills to make it unique. "Death Trip" erupts significantly louder than the rest of the album into a terribly mixed and recorded jam. The guitar solos are fierce and it has a very jerky groove. I think it's the weakest track on here. Despite it's shortcomings sonically Raw Power is one of the most visceral examples of the energy and feeling of Rock 'n Roll. Tight, loud, catchy and irresistibly smashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd0nL2Fz11I 

Bad Brains 

Hearing the later album I Against I showed how shockingly great of musicians Bad Brains were and it makes me listen to their debut differently. I didn't realize how extreme the musicianship is on here. Almost every song is a disgustingly gratifying death race, packing extreme heat with awesome riffs, solos and some of the greatest and most extreme drumming ever recorded. The reggae breaks like "Jah Calling" give you time to breath and flow nicely in the tracklist. "I Luv I Jah" is my favorite Reggae track of the bunch. The solo in "Supertouch/Sh!tfit" is real tasty. "I" kicks the doors down right off the bat, it's the most badass song on the album. Just extremely heavy and thrashing. "Big Take Over" also delivers the goods. The sound quality varies, some tracks sound more trashy than others. The raw ability and versatility present sets this record high above other Hardcore Punk acts. This was very much worth revisiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60INbL_wScg                           

Joy Division, Unknown Pleasures   

I wasn't impressed the first time I heard Unknown Pleasures and I'm still not too impressed by it now. But it does have a fair bit going for it. "Insight" has cool keyboard sounds and "New Dawn Fades" is a highlight with melodic guitar leads. "She's Lost Control" is one of those mammoth songs and not for nothing. It's clearly the best song on the album with a lot of building menace. I think it doesn't go far enough however, this is a very restrained album. Repetitive grooves held down by the drum machine and great bass lines. I'm not overly taken by it. Though it does have some good songs I feel it's an album were what it inspired is better than what it is. "I Remember Nothing" is sort of cool as a slower more grim finale with lots of neat sound effects. You can't deny this album has atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEpVZniAuC8

Shiina Ringo, Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana 

Shiina Ringo is one of those artists I need to remind myself how much I like. I don't listen to her very often, perhaps because she has complete album experiences with less to pick out for playlists, mixtapes and shower tunes like the other J-Pop I listen to. This is an exciting mix of sounds and styles, equally pleasing as Shoso Strip, with a lot of character and quirks. "Yattsuke Shigoto" is a highlight with an easy going beat, nice vocals and all this wild instrumentation popping in and out. "Funeral" is a great note to end on, going crazy and suddenly cutting off. Shiina Ringo's voice is one of my favorites and this album is full of ambition and variety. I don't think many songs pop out but as a whole listen it's satisfying.

The Mothers Of Invention, Freak Out! 

I enjoyed this album before and revisiting it shows how smart and fun it is. A perfect satire of Rock music that turns into craziness on it's second half. The appeal is so broad that there is a song for every style in the first half. and it's played off so well that a lot of the clever lyrics go by. The more straight forward elements appear in the rants at the end of songs like "You Didn't Try to Call Me". "Go Cry on Somebody Else's Shoulder" is one of my favorite satire songs. It goofs on the stereotypical 50's Crooner ballad, capturing every detail from the chord changes, group vocals and lyrics. Part of the brilliance is that the band actually made good songs, "Any Way the Wind Blows" for instance is actually a solid tune of it's time that you could see another band playing straight. "You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here" is one of the best funniest songs. I love when it goes crazy at the end as well, the acapella ending is cool. This is a very very good album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjCWiBTQbD4 

Radiohead, Kid A 

I liked it the first time around. Kid A really has a one of a kind feel, I don't even know how to describe the sound. The songs and instrumentation are all quite interesting. I like the craziness of "The National Anthem" and the soundscape of "How To Disappear Completely". Some songs are kind of dull like "Optimistic" and the mood can be a little hard to get into. "Idioteque" is one of the best moments with the smacking percussion and weary instrumental. I much prefer In Rainbows to this album, and overall I thought it was okay but I didn't vibe with it that much. I'm gonna relisten to OK Computer to see if the third times a charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwJTnZOaco

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: May 14, 2020, 09:31:05 AM »
Classic Rainy Morning Quicklist. Mostly the kind of J-Pop that makes me feel good and comfortable inside. At this point I think I can say this sort of J-Pop is my favorite music in the world because these kind of songs are bullet proof, I can listen to this kind of stuff any given day and love it.

Galileo Galilei : Asu e
Wednesday Campanella : Sakamoto Ryoma
The Beatles : Rain
Ever : Wednesday
Carly Rae Jepsen : The One
ChouCho : Kawaru Mirai
AZALEA : GALAXY HidE and SeeK
DAOKO : Juicy
Suwa Nanaka : So Sweet
Seiko Oomori : Zentai Kanojo
Utada Hikaru : Nichiyo no Asa
GARNiDELiA : Moon Landing
Silent Siren : alarm
Aimer : Brave Shine
9nine : colourful
Nana Kitade : KISS
Bump Of Chicken : Tentai Kansoku
BiSH : FOR HiM

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: June 05, 2020, 05:21:40 PM »
So after 3 years on hiatus and not knowing whether or not they’d make music together again, my favourite band Katatonia got back together and dropped a new album “City Burials”

I’m going to up and say it that this does not top 2016’s “The Fall of Hearts” for me, but then again really not much could!

Regardless, “City Burials“ is a stellar progressive rock/metal album, which definitely features Jonas’ best singing of his whole career thus far. This is the 6th consecutive studio album from them whereby there isn’t a single song on the release that I dislike. They are unsung titans of melodic metal, and masters in brooding, evocative, melancholy, poetic music.

I wholly recommend listening to this album and every Katatonia album going back to 2001’s “Last Fair Deal Gone Down”:

“Viva Emptiness” (2003)
“The Great Cold Distance” (2006)
“Night is the New Day” (2009)
“Dead End Kings” (2012)
“The Fall of Hearts” (2016)
“City Burials” (2020)

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: June 06, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »
Finally got my record player working again so some recent listens.   

Rina's album Sawayam came after about 6-7 weeks. It is a very good pressing! The cover was done terribly, it's very low quality like they just stretched out the CD cover. The record is a nice clear white and the music itself is very clear and way more dynamic sounding than on Spotify. I do really like this record. Other albums from this year have come and gone Sawayama is actually a great record that will continue to get lots of play from me. There are songs I absolutely love like "Paradisin'" & "Tokyo Love Hotel", really great songs and at worst songs I am indifferent to but don't think are bad like "Comme Des Garcons" and "Chosen Family". So it's nice to have this in my record collection, it's a very good album. "Tokyo Love Hotel" is just so good, it's like Exodus era Utada.

The Rolling Stones Exile on Main St. got a lot of play from me last year and listening this morning it makes for a really great album experience. It's truly their only fully great record, even though I don't like some songs on side 2 like "Sweet Virginia". It's more so the whole of everything on the record and the general dirty feel. Mick is disgusting on this record but in the best way, and the guitars are just high powered on tracks like "All Down The Line". "Rocks Off" is easily the best track on the record and one of the greatest things the Stones ever recorded, along with "Rip This Joint". I love "Shake Your Hips" and all of side 3 also. "Sweet Black Angel" is a highlight with it's swampy feel. I can overlook the lesser songs on this album more than others because of how long it is and how everything feels connected. A great listen.

Led Zeppelin IV is a record threatened to be destroyed by overplay but when you really sit down and listen you feel the power. As soon as the main riff comes in on "Black Dog" it's like nothing else. "Stairway To Heaven" is a song I will never get sick of, it's a true masterpiece in every sense. The guitar solo is the most satisfying ever and the ending is for me the second most exciting moment in Classic Rock behind Clarence's sax solo in Bruce's "Jungleland". Everytime I just crank it and air drum and...ya, it never gets old. That said "Misty Mountain Hop" is a song I don't really like the vocals on and I've never been into "Four Sticks". "Going To California" has grown on me big time, I used to think it was filler. and "When The Levee Breaks" I mean...nothing has to be said there. "The Battle Of Evermore" stood out to me on my latest listen like it never has before. I do like this album a lot. I do like their first album the most though, perhaps for the rawness.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: June 09, 2020, 12:36:12 PM »
Led Zeppelin IV is a record threatened to be destroyed by overplay but when you really sit down and listen you feel the power. As soon as the main riff comes in on "Black Dog" it's like nothing else. "Stairway To Heaven" is a song I will never get sick of, it's a true masterpiece in every sense. The guitar solo is the most satisfying ever and the ending is for me the second most exciting moment in Classic Rock behind Clarence's sax solo in Bruce's "Jungleland". Everytime I just crank it and air drum and...ya, it never gets old. That said "Misty Mountain Hop" is a song I don't really like the vocals on and I've never been into "Four Sticks". "Going To California" has grown on me big time, I used to think it was filler. and "When The Levee Breaks" I mean...nothing has to be said there. "The Battle Of Evermore" stood out to me on my latest listen like it never has before. I do like this album a lot. I do like their first album the most though, perhaps for the rawness.

WHOLE LOTTA’ YES MY DUDE!

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: June 15, 2020, 09:04:22 AM »
Sunny morning Mid-June quicklist.

The Smiths : William, It Was Really Nothing
The Byrds : I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better
Ever : Sleepyhead
The Beatles : You Won't See Me
Flow : Colours
Hearts Grow : Yura Yura
Kotoko : Being
Suwa Nanaka : So Sweet
Konomi Suzuki : Days Of Dash
Galileo Galilei : Asu e
Seiko Oomori : Imitation Girl
Dancing Dolls : Monochrome
miwa : We Are The Light
Silent Siren : alarm
BAND-MAID : Big Dad
BiSH : Hontou Honki
Bump Of Chicken : Tentai Kansoku
PASSPO : Bachelorette Wa Owaranai 

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: June 15, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »
Don't ask me why, but I woke up with it in y head, so I listened to Call Me Maybe all morning while getting ready on repeat. Unappreciated classic I tell yeh.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF