June 20, 2019, 11:41:35 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 306266 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
  • Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4950 on: May 16, 2019, 06:26:25 PM »
A new era is dawning, a playlist for the soon to be end of pawn days.

Seiko Oomori : TOKYO BLACK HOLE
Elvis Presley : (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
The Beatles : Misery
Journey : Stone In Love
Scorpions : Arizona
Linkin Park : Leave Out All The Rest
Lorde : Sober
Carly Rae Jepsen : Julien   
SCANDAL : Mabataki 
Mary's Blood : Rolling Start
Gacharic Spin : Doremi Fantastic
SILENT SIREN : alarm
BRATS : Unfair 
Ac/Dc : Little Lover
Be Bop Deluxe : Sleep That Burns 
The Smiths : Well I Wonder
Bob Dylan : It's All Over Now, Baby Blue 
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young : Helpless       
The Velvet Underground : Femme Fatale
Eagles : Try And Love Again 
Aerosmith : Seasons of Wither
Maison Book Girl : Kage no Densha       
GANG PARADE : TEWONOBASU 
Utada Hikaru : B & C
Iron Maiden : Age of Innocence
Bruce Springsteen : Land of Hope and Dreams
Sonic Youth : The Diamond Sea - Radio Edit     
BiSH : FOR HiM     

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 03:14:47 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: May 24, 2019, 04:28:22 PM »
At The Drive In, Relationship Of Command 

WHAT. Oh my God. I've had one of my classic no reason hate on's for this band, without even really knowing a single song. I didn't really know what I was in for and I can say, it instantly hurtled my gurtle. Beginning with absolutely pummeling tracks, with violent vocals and cool guitars. I kept turning it up louder and louder and than "Sleepwalk Capsules" happened and this album reached a different level, and then came "Invalid Litter Dept.". An absolute masterpiece on first listen! WOW! The aggressive verses, dynamics, chorus, instrumentation, change-ups, this song is insane. I liked the rest of the album but honestly it didn't live up to "Invalid Litter Dept." for me, that song was so fricking amazing that the rest of the album was just there. I do like it though, very cool style, guitar approach and energy. I outta buy the record for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgAkZfObn0c 

Refused, The Shape of Punk to Come 

Cool...I guess. I like everything besides the vocals. There are a lot of cool bits and interludes, some neat songs and incorporation of different styles, but the main core, the slamming aggressive Rock songs, are really nothing great. Just smashing with terrible screaming vocals. It has a menace and good sense of energy, but I liked it less as the album went on. The little bits make the album, anything without singing I thought was really cool. The songs go into great parts. I'm not big on this record as a whole, but in pieces it was excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFX6NP8s3E 

Failure, Fantastic Planet

Rick Beato did one of these songs on What Makes This Song Great? and I remembered Pipe posted about it before. When the album started I thought, oh no not 70 minutes of this, but it quickly became a little more interesting. Some of it is just melodic grunge led by chord slashing and loud drums, I didn't like the first few songs but it got a lot better. "Blank" is pretty good, so is "Pillowhead" (the body pillow anthem?) and "The Nurse Who Loved Me" is pretty wicked. "Another Space Song" is cool. "Stuck On You" has a fantastic intro, a super cool keyboard (?) part. I think it's the best song on the album, who can't relate to those lyrics? In some ways it's an album of it's time, but it has some cool tricks to pull and neat sounds. The drums & guitars are solid, and the vocals are good. I was done with the album by the time it ended, could've closed at "Stuck On You", I really didn't care for "Heliotropic" but I think for it's length it had enough variety. Not too bad overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzneS2_sUU

Ralph, A Good Girl

This was the first album I listened to of the lot, I was trying to figure out today's music mood! This wasn't it. A fairly indistinct background music Pop album. Chill production lead by decent, but fairly monotone vocals. It keeps a mood throughout which is basically clothes store music. The album does little to pop out or stray from it's formula, there is no real variety song by song. Nothing is bad on here, because nothing really sticks out besides a mediocre rap cameo on "Girl Next Door" and some alright lyrics on tracks like "Dark Clouds" & "Cereal" (the melodrama of "crying into my cereal"). I can't say there is any real personality to the music, it's a one note album. Something harmless to put on in the background to fill up space on a grey day. Served well for reading comics to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_64HOJE_c
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:34:43 PM by Manimal »

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: May 24, 2019, 07:13:56 PM »
Relationship of Command is a classic. I've never been into that Refused album. To me, it's the historical point at which I lose interest in Post-Hardcore. I recommend trying out other Post-Hardcore classics like most Fugazi albums but especially In on the Kill Taker, Drive Like Jehu's Yank Crime, Unwound's Repetition, Gospel's The Moon is a Dead World, both Chavez albums, Rites of Spring. I mean there are those 90s rock aesthetics that I know you're tired of, but the genre has way more elaborate and interesting songwriting and instrumental work than Nirvana. If you want stuff that matches the intensity of At the Drive-in go straight for Yank Crime and The Moon is a Dead World.

I was really surprised when Rick Beato released that Failure video, but then I remembered that Ken Andrews is an audio engineer. They've probably crossed paths a few times.

who can't relate to those lyrics?
Well, uh, considering they're about heroin... lol

The lyrics on Fantastic Planet are really great, though. Many of them are about addiction in some way, but the way they approach the topic is really interesting and emotionally effective.

"Heliotropic" is a fave for me personally, but it definitely wasn't my favorite on first listen.

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: May 24, 2019, 07:25:04 PM »
Wait "Stuck On You" is about heroin. Okay...alright...nevermind. I just heard a phrase or two and I was like okay. Didn't think it was that kind of song. Then again I missed "When you shoot it deep, straight into my mind", okay I'm a little embarrassed but whatever.

Oh I know In on the Kill Taker quite well, well "Good Cop" is really the only song I love on that album, but I bought the record a while ago, along with Steady Diet Of Nothing. I have not found Repeater yet. I will look into those other artists, I'm a little interested in the genre because of Relationship of Command.

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: May 24, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »
There's The Jesus Lizard's Goat that I forgot about. And if you count Slint's Spiderland, which might be my favorite of all of these, but I'm not sure you'd like that one.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:43:16 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: June 08, 2019, 08:00:26 PM »
Got some new records today.

Elvis Presley 

Finally, took forever to find this album. Elvis' first record is a collection of Sun Records songs and new RCA recordings. It opens with "Blue Suede Shoes", which states it's intent right away, and goes about a varied tracklist that showcases Elvis' early talents and ability to make everything his own. Aside from a flat Little Richard cover this is a good set of tunes. "I'm Counting on You" and "I Love You Because" show Elvis' soft side, "Blue Moon" is lonesome longing side (a wonderful take of the song also with a longer ending), "One Sided Love Affair" & "Just Because" his Rock 'n Roll and "Tryin' to Get to You" his divine emotive voice. This is quite a nice set of tunes, I really enjoyed the variety and although I got a stereo version (fake stereo) it still sounds pretty good. Nice to have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQvco4pFtDU

Steely Dan, Aja 

Um excuse me what is this amazing album that has just graced my ears. This is a Holy production of insane perfection and tightness. What in the...right away you are greeted to a sound that is divine. A tone that is so good you can't believe it. Everything is not merely right but better than anything before. This is easily one of the best sounding albums I have ever heard in my life. Every note has it's place, the drums are grooving, bass popping, guitar fills in all the right spots, keyboards that are wonderful and the album never seems glossy or over-produced, it just sounds ridiculously good.  This is what beauty in recording sounds like. Oh my God, what the hell. I hate "Reeling In The Years" and think it's a garbage annoying song so I wrote off the band, but this is next level. This is insanity. This is a pillow for the ears. This is the best new to me album I have heard since the Clash's "Give 'Em Enough Rope". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iac-vLq6tnY 

Megadeth, Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good : The Final Kill   

Once again Megadeth's first album is remastered and finally avaible on record, albeit with a terrible resolution pixely cover that looks awful. The album is, good. This remix is, okay. This album will never sound great, and Dave's vocals will never not suck on this record, but this is a serviceable version. The bonus record of live songs and demos is a pointless add-on that just drives up the price. I like this album but it's not a favorite by any means. The aggression and pure ginger rage is there, and some of the songs are wicked amazing like "Looking Down The Cross" and RATTLE YOUR GOD DAMN HEAD. It's a bast of fury and the guitars scream with anger. Killing Is My Business is absolutely nothing compared to Peace Sells and it's masterpiece "My Last Words" an album that also nothing compared to the best Metal guitar record of all time Rust In Peace, but it's a fine debut album and one of the most genuinely angry albums I've ever heard. I don't know how this mix compared to the CD I have, but it's alright. Good to have in my record collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ettu-e6qyUw 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listening to Metallica's Ride The Lighting again shows me again why I love the band's first five albums and the effect it had on me. "Fade To Black" is a masterpiece, "Call Of Klutu" is a fantastic instrumental, and the record rips with amazing songs. "Trapped Under Ice" always felt lackluster but "Escape" has grown on me. Master Of Puppets is a better record, afterall "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" is either the best or second best Metal song of all time along with Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" in my opinion. Also "Disposable Heroes". But Ride The Lightning has "Creeping Death" which is also one of the best Metal songs ever made.  It's a more dynamic album than Kill 'Em All but not quite as well assembled as Master Of Puppets. But only one Metallica album has both "Fade To Black" and "Creeping Death".     

Eagles Hotel California is not their best album, that honour goes to On The Border, but this album is notable for having..."Try And Love Again" one of my favorite mellow Rock songs ever. I don't listen to this record often anymore, opting for the first greatest hits mostly because who needs to hear "Life In The Fast Lane" again. A song sung so tame Pat Boone might as well of done it. I never tire of the title track and "New Kid In Town" but "Wasted Time" is kind of dull and "Victim Of Love" is empty. If "Pretty Maids All In A Row" was the best thing Joe Walsh could bring to the band he must've been saving the good stuff for his insanely good album, my beloved But Seriously Folks. I might of said this before but the Eagles are a band I don't like on the radio but love in my basement post 6 PM. This album is good but it's not some masterpiece. "Try And Love Again" though...what a song. No matter where I am in life I always go back to that song, I just absolutely love it. "Take It To The Limit" is not my favorite Eagles song anymore, this song has lived on for almost 5 years in my life as a stone cold classic to me. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:15:23 AM by Manimal »