March 29, 2024, 09:33:29 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 771072 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4950 on: May 24, 2019, 07:13:56 PM »
Relationship of Command is a classic. I've never been into that Refused album. To me, it's the historical point at which I lose interest in Post-Hardcore. I recommend trying out other Post-Hardcore classics like most Fugazi albums but especially In on the Kill Taker, Drive Like Jehu's Yank Crime, Unwound's Repetition, Gospel's The Moon is a Dead World, both Chavez albums, Rites of Spring. I mean there are those 90s rock aesthetics that I know you're tired of, but the genre has way more elaborate and interesting songwriting and instrumental work than Nirvana. If you want stuff that matches the intensity of At the Drive-in go straight for Yank Crime and The Moon is a Dead World.

I was really surprised when Rick Beato released that Failure video, but then I remembered that Ken Andrews is an audio engineer. They've probably crossed paths a few times.

who can't relate to those lyrics?
Well, uh, considering they're about heroin... lol

The lyrics on Fantastic Planet are really great, though. Many of them are about addiction in some way, but the way they approach the topic is really interesting and emotionally effective.

"Heliotropic" is a fave for me personally, but it definitely wasn't my favorite on first listen.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: May 24, 2019, 07:25:04 PM »
Wait "Stuck On You" is about heroin. Okay...alright...nevermind. I just heard a phrase or two and I was like okay. Didn't think it was that kind of song. Then again I missed "When you shoot it deep, straight into my mind", okay I'm a little embarrassed but whatever.

Oh I know In on the Kill Taker quite well, well "Good Cop" is really the only song I love on that album, but I bought the record a while ago, along with Steady Diet Of Nothing. I have not found Repeater yet. I will look into those other artists, I'm a little interested in the genre because of Relationship of Command.

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: May 24, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »
There's The Jesus Lizard's Goat that I forgot about. And if you count Slint's Spiderland, which might be my favorite of all of these, but I'm not sure you'd like that one.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:43:16 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: June 08, 2019, 08:00:26 PM »
Got some new records today.

Elvis Presley 

Finally, took forever to find this album. Elvis' first record is a collection of Sun Records songs and new RCA recordings. It opens with "Blue Suede Shoes", which states it's intent right away, and goes about a varied tracklist that showcases Elvis' early talents and ability to make everything his own. Aside from a flat Little Richard cover this is a good set of tunes. "I'm Counting on You" and "I Love You Because" show Elvis' soft side, "Blue Moon" is lonesome longing side (a wonderful take of the song also with a longer ending), "One Sided Love Affair" & "Just Because" his Rock 'n Roll and "Tryin' to Get to You" his divine emotive voice. This is quite a nice set of tunes, I really enjoyed the variety and although I got a stereo version (fake stereo) it still sounds pretty good. Nice to have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQvco4pFtDU

Steely Dan, Aja 

Um excuse me what is this amazing album that has just graced my ears. This is a Holy production of insane perfection and tightness. What in the...right away you are greeted to a sound that is divine. A tone that is so good you can't believe it. Everything is not merely right but better than anything before. This is easily one of the best sounding albums I have ever heard in my life. Every note has it's place, the drums are grooving, bass popping, guitar fills in all the right spots, keyboards that are wonderful and the album never seems glossy or over-produced, it just sounds ridiculously good.  This is what beauty in recording sounds like. Oh my God, what the hell. I hate "Reeling In The Years" and think it's a garbage annoying song so I wrote off the band, but this is next level. This is insanity. This is a pillow for the ears. This is the best new to me album I have heard since the Clash's "Give 'Em Enough Rope". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iac-vLq6tnY 

Megadeth, Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good : The Final Kill   

Once again Megadeth's first album is remastered and finally avaible on record, albeit with a terrible resolution pixely cover that looks awful. The album is, good. This remix is, okay. This album will never sound great, and Dave's vocals will never not suck on this record, but this is a serviceable version. The bonus record of live songs and demos is a pointless add-on that just drives up the price. I like this album but it's not a favorite by any means. The aggression and pure ginger rage is there, and some of the songs are wicked amazing like "Looking Down The Cross" and RATTLE YOUR GOD DAMN HEAD. It's a bast of fury and the guitars scream with anger. Killing Is My Business is absolutely nothing compared to Peace Sells and it's masterpiece "My Last Words" an album that also nothing compared to the best Metal guitar record of all time Rust In Peace, but it's a fine debut album and one of the most genuinely angry albums I've ever heard. I don't know how this mix compared to the CD I have, but it's alright. Good to have in my record collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ettu-e6qyUw 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listening to Metallica's Ride The Lighting again shows me again why I love the band's first five albums and the effect it had on me. "Fade To Black" is a masterpiece, "Call Of Klutu" is a fantastic instrumental, and the record rips with amazing songs. "Trapped Under Ice" always felt lackluster but "Escape" has grown on me. Master Of Puppets is a better record, afterall "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" is either the best or second best Metal song of all time along with Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" in my opinion. Also "Disposable Heroes". But Ride The Lightning has "Creeping Death" which is also one of the best Metal songs ever made.  It's a more dynamic album than Kill 'Em All but not quite as well assembled as Master Of Puppets. But only one Metallica album has both "Fade To Black" and "Creeping Death".     

Eagles Hotel California is not their best album, that honour goes to On The Border, but this album is notable for having..."Try And Love Again" one of my favorite mellow Rock songs ever. I don't listen to this record often anymore, opting for the first greatest hits mostly because who needs to hear "Life In The Fast Lane" again. A song sung so tame Pat Boone might as well of done it. I never tire of the title track and "New Kid In Town" but "Wasted Time" is kind of dull and "Victim Of Love" is empty. If "Pretty Maids All In A Row" was the best thing Joe Walsh could bring to the band he must've been saving the good stuff for his insanely good album, my beloved But Seriously Folks. I might of said this before but the Eagles are a band I don't like on the radio but love in my basement post 6 PM. This album is good but it's not some masterpiece. "Try And Love Again" though...what a song. No matter where I am in life I always go back to that song, I just absolutely love it. "Take It To The Limit" is not my favorite Eagles song anymore, this song has lived on for almost 5 years in my life as a stone cold classic to me. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:15:23 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: June 29, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »
Stevie Wonder, Songs In The Key Of Life 

One of those albums most everyone knows the name of and the legacy, but perhaps not the music. I recently got a copy and while I previous listened to and enjoyed an album or two of his before this was really an eye popper. It's a double album that is packed with amazing songs, the most spicy grooves I've ever heard, and a lot of cool things. First off "Love's In Need Of Love Today" is a beautiful song that is 10 or more years ahead of it's time, with wonderful R&B instrumentation and just a song that makes me raise my arms and let the sun in. "Have A Talk With God" is absolutely sick. I seriously had Bill Cosby faces going because the groove and the weird ass instrumental was just amazing. This song has weird computer beeps and all kinds of sounds and it's just amazing, this song is so spicy I died to death. "Contusion" is an insane Disco Jazz-Fusion instrumental that is just a wonder on the ears, featuring an excellent guitar lead.

"Summer Soft" is absolutely amazing. A brilliant track with an excellent chorus, "She's gone", and instrumentation that is insanely good, like most of the record. I would love "Isn't She Lovely" if it didn't have a long ending with random recordings. The groove and feel is so good otherwise. "Ngiculela-Es Una Historia-I Am Singing" is another highlight with an excellent melody. The album is a lot to take in at once, it's dense. It has some bad points like "Village Ghetto Land" that imposes pretty decent lyrics about poverty over high class type synth-strings, fine idea but I don't like the song. "Black Man" has a fine message but the ending is terrible with the call and answer featuring a bunch of kids. It goes on too long. Not a fan of "Ordinary Pain" and "Pastime Paradise" is just surreal because it's only ever going to be "Amish Paradise" to me.

I think this album is decent overall, it has some big time highlights and there where many times I thought "no way this is 1976". It has ambition but some songs fall flat and go on for overly long. I also am iffy on Stevie's voice as a whole, he didn't develop his weirdo tone from his 80's guest spots yet (refer to the Michael Jackson song "Just Good Friends" and it's opening NANANA-NANA-NANANA) but I wouldn't say he is a favorite singer or anything of the kind. Worthwhile listen and inspires future spins. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGZYWSfiYbM                                                                                           

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 05:06:05 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: July 06, 2019, 10:59:05 AM »
Making my ultimate Stones tape on a 90 minute. Listening to Exile last night, since I finally got the record, really got me going. Amazing record with the sheer force of Rock 'n Roll perfectly captured and harnessed. Where Sticky Fingers and Some Girls, albums I once liked, have amazing songs they feel illegitament to me at times, mostly due to Mick Jagger's awful vocals on some tracks. But on Exile, it's down and dirty pure full on cock & balls on the table Rock 'n Roll music. Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Exile and Hot Rocks are all you need. As I've said "Street Fighting Man" is one of the Top 5 best Rock songs ever made for me (because of how badass the instrumentation is and how mighty the acoustics are recorded), and Keith Richards has one of the three best guitar sounds next to Malcolm Young and Johnny Ramone. Not to forget how awesome Brian Jones and Mick Taylor where. The solo at the end of "Sway" is one of my favorite ever. I absolutely love that song, it's so damn good in that primal way the Stones hit.

They are not a band I have a definitive view of, but they have so many songs that hit in a raw and simply dirty way, and "Sway" is the perfect example of that. I don't know what it makes me feel but it makes me feel something. A band like Led Zeppelin I enjoy when I listen to a record but there is no song that hurtles my gurtle (besides "Your Time Is Gonna Come", "The Rain Song" & "That's The Way"), that makes my blood boil in the way Bruce does, Ac/Dc does and the way the Stones at their best do. What emotion does "Tumbling Dice" make me feel, I sing along and I have no idea what the verse lyrics are, it's just awesome. The songs like "Monkey Man", "Rocks Off" and espeically Keith Richards songs like "Before They Make Me Run" are just so fiery and inspired in a certain natural way. I love Keith's songs because he is so legitimately terrible at singing and his voice is awful but he sounds sincere. 

I might never list the Stones as a favorite band but they have so many songs I just absolutely love and always sing along to. "Just My Imagination", "Time Is On My Side" so many songs that are just so good in a primal way. and yet they have so many songs I am sick to death of and just despise at the same time. I'll never tire of "Start Me Up", "Paint It, Black" and some others though. and "Waiting On A Friend" is my overall favorite, a song I adore.

Start Me Up
Hang Fire
Rip This Joint
Paint It, Black   
Sway
Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
Tumbling Dice
Time Is On My Side 
The Last Time
Mercy Mercy
Play With Fire
Rocks Off
Monkey Man

Street Fighting Man
All Down The Line
Happy
Let's Spend The Night Together
19th Nervous Breakdown
Get Off My Cloud 
Before They Make Me Run
Miss You
Dead Flowers
Waiting On A Friend   
You Can't Always Get What You Want

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:14:45 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: July 20, 2019, 02:58:04 PM »
Faces, Ooh La La 

Blues Rock with Rod Stewart and later Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood. I didn't even realize it was Rod at first. I might not of listened to it if I knew just on pre-judgement, good thing I did though because this is great. Great production, excellent guitar tone, fantastic tones and damn I didn't realize Rod Stewart was actually a Rock 'n Roll singer, really fantastic rasp. I always thought of him as a joke but this is awesome. WOW, this album moves, it has such feel and vibe. "My Fault" is a GOOD ASS SONG. "Borstal Boys", DAMN. This album is TIGHT AF. When it gets mellow the basslines take over, and it all sounds so good. Did I ever think I'd be saying, wow this album with Rod Stewart on vocals is really good? No. This is a damn good fricking album that I instantly must have in my collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGtqZXU6UnQ

Andrew Bird, Armchair Apocrypha 

A pretty solid chill Indie Folk kind of album. The songs are varied and have a lot of cool sounds throughout, his voice is very low and gentle, and fits well with the music. Aside from "Cataracts" I enjoyed every track. "Fiery Crash" stood out with it's interesting twists in melody and "Heretics". "Armchairs" is a pretty neat song with good dynamics and spacey sounds. The ending track "Yawny at the Apocalypse" is great and "Dark Matter" is cool. Overall a solid album with a good sound and style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kw3xQXyZA4 

Sunny Day Real Estate, How It Feels To Be On Something 

Moody emo-y album with a bit of a hazy feel. Some loud guitars and drums and a bit of British Pop sensibility. I actually quite enjoyed this album the more it went on, starts a little bland but you get sucked into it's mood by the end. The only songs that really stuck out where "Every Shining Time You Arrive" and "Two Promises". I did like it overall however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftS68DrBqQk   

Johnny Thunders, So Alone 

An okay Rock 'n Roll record that is all over the place. It has some stomping numbers and acoustic based tracks, carrying attitude the whole time. The guitars are slamming and the vocals full of energy. There are a lot of covers, including a sort of unfitting but super fantastic version of "Pipeline". The album doesn't Rock as hard as I figured. The bonus track "Dead or Alive" is the best track, a slow moving slammer. This album is not...amazing or anything, but it's okay. I was kind of expecting better given how often his name is spoken. It has energy and fire but feels put together and overall inspires nothing. One of those live acts that never had a classic record I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkMIEPsCdUU

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: July 29, 2019, 02:42:56 PM »
Got some new records. 

The Rolling Stones, December's Children (And Everybody's)   

The Stones catalog was brutalized even more than the Beatles for the early years in America. and this album is a mix of various recordings from 1965. It's actually a really excellent record that shows what made the early Stones great. With two live recordings, "I'm Moving On" being a fiery and high energy performance. "Get Off of My Cloud" is included, a brilliant song with fantastic drums and a mad catchy chorus. "As Tears Go By" has always been a hated song of mine, but it works on the album along with some great tuneful songs like "I'm Free" and "Gotta Get Away". Side 1 is mostly covers and overall this is a pretty tight collection of songs. Early Stones where so raw and undefined. This album covers a fair bit of ground.

Prefab Sprout, Two Wheels Good 

I listened to this album last month, guess I didn't post about it. DAMN GOOD RECORD. Wow, this is an absolutely fantastic album full of brilliant wonderful sounding sounds. Production is top notch and the style is great, it's not too 80's, not too British, not too Alternative, it's just it's own sound to me. "Appetite", "Horsin' Around" and "Desire As" are brilliant, the true masterpieces on this record are "When Love Breaks Down" and "Goodbye Lucille #1", both super powerful tracks. "Moving The River", "When The Angels" and "Hallelujah" also being highlights. In general this whole record is great and a nice addition to my collection, I love the sound of this one.

I just despise the band name and album name. Even the original name isn't good. Just awful titling all around.

Fugazi, Repeater   

Imagine Barnes & Nobles having the best selection of records in any chain store ever, because they do. Did I expect to finally find Repeater there? Actually yes, because I also got the self titled EP there a few years ago. I posted about this album back when I first listened to it, but I've not given a second listen yet. This is just...brilliant. The album opens with so much fire and it keeps going. With powerful guitars, drums, grooving bass and of course the mighty vocals. "Styrofoam" is my favorite track on the album, the guitars are illegally good, like this whole thing. This is absolutely insane how good this record is, and I didn't realize it the first time. Every single track is great, it's just an overall monster of a record in all regards. It's the only Fugazi album I like every song on, Steady Diet Of Nothing and In On The Kill Taker lose me a bit at times, but this record is an altogether powerhouse and an unstoppable force of sheer raw power with tight and unique grooves. So good. 

Repeater is just like Songs In The Key Of Life, an album that makes me do Bill Cosby faces because it's so spicy at certain times. Like, ooooooh ya. You feel it you know, both different appeals but that same thing. You feel the spice of the grooves and expression because it's so damn strong.

Minor Threat 

The green cover version which oddly enough is a full record in 45 RPM, I didn't expect that when I put the record down but quickly realized it sounded a little...too slow. I mean, what can you say about this record, it's just a burning spark of anger and divine energy that burns brilliant to the end. I have found I don't like Hardcore Punk as much as something like, The Misfits, but Minor Threat is certainly my favorite when it comes to this type of thing. Put it on for that satisfying blast of aggression and fury. You get that pure mania from this album that groups like Black Flag don't give me. This is mostly because of Ian MacKaye's vocals that are just...perfect. Songs like "Screaming At The Wall" have more muscle to them as well in terms of song craft. "Minor Threat" is iconic, especially because you can pretty well hear all the lyrics. This is great, but I feel like stores should only stock Complete Discography since full price is steep for this 17 minute record.

Revisited Sonic Youth's Dirty the other night, which I hadn't listened to in a bit. I think the album has a lot of good songs but overall lacks a lot of what makes the band exciting. "Sugar Kane" is a masterwork and one the band's top 10 best songs and brightest moments, the perfect blend of great catchy song writing, a cool riff & vibe and the SY trademark of going crazy with noise and building back up. "Drunken Butterfly" is always a favorite and "Wish Fulfillment" is fantastic with the arpeggios and loud choruses. "100%" is cool but not all the way there for me, "Youth Against Fascism" kicks buttocks in the second half, "Swimsuit Issue" has a great intro but I actually don't like the way Kim sings most of these songs with very primal melodies like "Shoot". I do love "Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit" though which is so over the top vocally. "Purr" is the most basic song, with a rare guitar solo. It's...okay. Dirty is a good album but not essential by any means.       
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 09:57:42 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: September 11, 2019, 07:37:44 PM »
A list that plays...the list I made. 

Megadeth : Addicted To Chaos 
At The Drive In : Invalid Litter Dept.
Failure : Stuck On You 
Sunny Day Real Estate : Every Shining Time You Arrive 
Sonic Youth : Wish Fulfillment
Fugazi : Public Witness Program 
PEDRO : NIGHT NIGHT
BAND-MAID : Before Yesterday
Prefab Sprout : Appetite
The Beatles : The Fool On The Hill
George Harrison : If Not For You
Bob Dylan : You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
The Smiths : Rusholme Ruffians
Bruce Springsteen : Two Faces
SCANDAL : Brand new wave
Mika Nakashima : You Send Me Love
Carly Rae Jepsen : Fever
BiSH : Is this call??     
Maison book girl : Silhouette
Iron Maiden : Dream of Mirrors
Metallica : Orion                 
Faces : If I'm on the Late Side
Andrew Bird : Fallorun
Utada Hikaru : Give Me A Reason 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:39:17 PM by Manimal »

Offline Hati

• The werewolf
  • genderqueer: he or she
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: September 11, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »
I am listening to Soul Sucking Jerk by Beck and Merry Christmas  Mr. Lawrence by Ryuchi Sakamoto.
Pink moon's gonna get you all.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: September 22, 2019, 06:26:24 PM »
Playing the list of plays to go.

Iron Maiden : Sign of the Cross 
Megadeth : A Tout le Monde
Dream Theater : Through Her Eyes
Maison book girl : Yami Iro no Asa
Failure : Pillowhead
At The Drive In : Pattern Against User
Fugazi : Merchandise
PEDRO : NOSTALGIC NOSTRADAMUS
the peggies : Stand by Me
ClariS : Grasp 
Silent Siren : alarm
AZALEA : GALAXY HidE and SeeK
PASSPO : Growing Up
Aimyon : Harunohi
Devendra Banhart : Will I See You Tonight?
Andrew Bird : Darkmatter 
Pantera : Cemetery Gates
Judas Priest : A Touch Of Evil
Metallica : Fade To Black
Prefab Sprout : Life of Surprises
Stevie Wonder : Joy Inside My Tears
The Cure : Pictures of You
The Smiths : Stretch out and Wait
LOONA : Colours
Utada Hikaru : Never Let Go
Carly Rae Jepsen : Real Love

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:30:41 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: November 10, 2019, 04:18:13 PM »
Harry Belafonte, Calypso 

His records are Thrift Store classics but I never expected the music to be any good. However when I gave Belafonte at Carnegie Hall a chance I was shocked. A powerful and tactically controlled voice to go with dynamic and spicy traditional tunes. I still have yet to get "Matilda" out of my head. Calypso has some really great songs, it's very repetitive and a big sing-along sort of record. I like it best when Belafonte sings unaccompanied. "I Do Adore Her" and "Jamaica Farewell" were the greatest moments, very nice soft songs with beautiful melodies and harmonies. I don't like some of the bigger gang vocal songs like "The Jack-Ass Song" and I don't think the reprise of "Day-O" simply titled "Star-O" was necessary. I didn't like the whole album but I'm quite interested in Belafonte for his extremely unique voice and performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8jv_asOxA

The Songs Of Leonard Cohen 

A monotone and somber album of intense story telling and imagery. Very simple music and vocals but Cohen's wordcraft and imagery is quite impressive. "Suzanne" is a certain masterpiece, the lyrics are absolutely out of this world. I only came across the song for the first time yesterday and it's without a doubt one of the best songs lyrically that I've ever heard. That said I was less interested in the rest of the album as it went on. For me it kept droning on with only a few moments like "So Long, Marianne" to musically break things up. I quite liked "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye" as well. I was expecting to like the album more given how amazing "Suzanne" is but it fell short for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svitEEpI07E 

Crosby, Stills & Nash 

It's the "classic" Blues, Folk Rock album with the iconic blending of voices that creates an instantly recognizable and signature sound. The songs are loose are full of solid guitar work here and there. "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" is of course the classic, but for me the only noteworthy part is the ending "do's". In fact none of this album is all that catchy. I liked "Helplessly Hoping" and "49 Bye-Byes" is pretty good but a lot of the record came and went. Very casual and easy going music, not half as good as Deju Vu. I'm not all that fond of the group's vocal sound anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjd0O5fS41M   

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: December 08, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
Time for my traditional year end mixtape on a 90 minute of all the important songs that defined my 2019. My 6th year end mixtape.

This was the year of BiSH. Without a doubt my most listened artist, Spotify puts it at 33 hours this year. Which doesn't include the non-stop play my BiSH mixtapes got in my car. I marathoned all their albums in the beginning of the year and I became obsessed with the group and the members. My top song was "Lonely Girl". Elvis was a close second with "Soldier Boy" being my most played song of the year on Spotify. One of the best songs I've ever heard in my life, I've been listening to Elvis since 2014 but only found that song this year. Along with "Fame and Fortune" and "Treat Me Nice". 

Stevie Wonder and Andrew Bird are two new to me artists this year. I never thought Stevie Wonder was anything but I was floored. "All I Do" is one of the greatest love songs I've ever heard. I kind of got...sick of his music as time went on aside from that song and some others. Steely Dan's Aja was a top played record for sure and The Stones' Exile On Main St. really hit me this year. Ayuni D's PEDRO EP was amazing at the beginning of the year but then I got sick of it. There was a lot of The Smiths early this year and a bit of a Bruce comeback. "Drive All Night" is one of very few songs to have made me shed tears. It's a legitimate masterpiece and one of the most raw expressions of emotion I know. I mean it's Bruce, he's the actual best there is.

I'll talk about music of 2019 later but there is a bit of that on here. Maison book girl really shined this year and BiSH stirred excitement up. I was so happy to see Carly Rae in concert so Dedicated will be a special album to me for that reason for sure. I also saw Iron Maiden this year which was cool. 

BRADIO : You Make Me Feel Brand New
BiSH : Spark
PEDRO : Business Trip Nervous Breakdown
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young : Helpless
Elvis Presley : Soldier Boy
The Smiths : I Know It's Over
BRATS : Unfair
Mary's Blood : Rolling Start
Carly Rae Jepsen : Now That I Found You
Stevie Wonder : All I Do
Elvis Presley : I Love You Because

Prefab Sprout : Appetite
Steely Dan : Black Cow
The Rolling Stones : Rocks Off
BiSH : I am me.
BAND-MAID : Before Yesterday
Maison book girl : Kujira Koujou
SILENT SIREN : Sotsugyou
LOONA : Where you at
Andrew Bird : Cracking Codes
Bruce Springsteen : Drive All Night

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: January 17, 2020, 06:34:00 PM »
Donna Summer, Bad Girls 

You might say Bad Girls is one of the definitive disco albums, but that's way too simple a description. The first half is a party, each song sequences into the next with no dead time and it's good song after good song. It's produced by disco masterminds Giorgio Moroder & Pete Bellotte who make things groove with the instintant drum machine, synths and various sounds. The basslines are wicked throughout. There is a slight Rock element to some songs like the top notch opener "Hot Stuff". Donna Summer was a great singer and she brings a lot of character to the songs. I really like "Walk Away" and "Can't Get to Sleep At Night". Side 3 is the ballad section. "All Through the Night" is solid and "My Baby Understands" has some more meat to it. On Side 4 Giorgio Moroder goes absolutely insane. "Our Love", "Lucky" & "Sunset People" are ahead of their time and clearly influenced a lot of synth based music to come. They are three excellent songs that makes the record begin in a much different place than it started. Bad Girls is a pretty solid album where each side of the album does it's own thing. It's truly made to be listened to on record for it's sequencing. Don't think it's some disco blowout, it's far more than that. I quite like it!   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FligLb0vBrg 

Heart, Little Queen 

All of us know "Barracuda" as the easy song on Guitar Hero III with a lot of green button, I've never been interested in Heart but I bought this record a while ago and finally gave it a chance. It was a suprise, a lot more...Led Zeppelin than I thought. While it opens with the song we all know it goes into Folk Rock pretty quickly and many of the songs are more acoustic based with some mandolin and related instruments. "Kick It Out" is a solid Rock 'n Roll song. I didn't think too much of the album but it went in a way different direction than I imagined and it was pretty nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-WxPzS3224 

The J. Geils Band, Monkey Island 

If you can believe it (I couldn't) this band existed well before their three popular songs from the 80's. In fact Monkey Island from 1977 is their seventh album! This is an album of mixed inspiration, Rock with some Funk and R&B elements. It grooves pretty good for the first bit and there some very nice slow jam tracks on here, "You're The One" and "I'm Falling" are good. It takes a turn to trash on side 2 with the awful boring song "Monkey Island" that is like a failed 70's Rock drama like Alice Cooper or something, I don't know it was lame. It was 9 mintues of wasted time, maybe they thought it was an epic. It sucked. This album looses it on side 2, it goes from pretty decent to absolutely lame, generic and forgetable. The band feels they do different things but fail to excell at most of them. "Wreckage" is like a miserable attempt at an acoustic Rolling Stones number, even down to the awful vocal performance. This album starts strong, has two pretty good songs and just sinks into nothingness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZjSZVs3jgI   

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: February 04, 2020, 07:07:48 AM »
Just gonna share my most listened to songs for January. I didn't really listen to many new to me albums but these songs are the highlights of the month.

Genie High Feat. Aina The End : Fuben Na Kawaige
- A great super melodic and instrumentally interesting tune. Aina gives an awesome vocal and fits perfectly with Genie High's vocalists. I like their style with Jazzy guitars, piano and driving drums. The rest of the album wasn't nearly as good, but "Fuben Na Kawaige" gets a lot of play from me.

Donna Summer : Winter Melody  
- A super beautiful song that gave me goosebumps when I first heard it. Very nice melodies that are full of emotion and a smooth vocal. The chorus is mad catchy also. This song just grabbed me right away, it's really damn good. 

iri : Aitaiwa   
- A really nice chill J-Rap song with a great airy instrumental perfect for driving slowly. iri's vocals are great, very husky. I really like the acoustic riff going and the track is overall very well produced. 

Nagi Yagani : here and there   
- Her airy music always makes me feel good and I'm always happy to find a song of her's I haven't heard before. here and there is a perfect example of Nagi Yagani's style, it has a wonderful instrumental that is breezy and moving. 

Vince DiCola : Escape   
- This is by no means a new to me song but watching the Transformers 86' movie again this month made me come back to this piece of soundtrack that I love so much. It's extremely high energy and gets me going. I just feel mad inspired when this song comes on, it just makes you want to get things done! ME GRIMLOCK NOT NICE DINO! ME BASH BRAINS!