December 06, 2019, 07:30:36 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 329485 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4920 on: November 05, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic

It's the ultimate Halloween album of 2018, and I didn't even get to listening to it until after Halloween.

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: November 06, 2018, 06:11:10 PM »
My first exposure to City Pop was actually 4 A.M. by Taeko Ohnuki, but I do like to jam on Plastic Love from time to time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bNITQR4Uso

Offline Manimal Claus

• God Of Xmas & Yuletide Things
  • Joulupukki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: November 16, 2018, 07:47:29 AM »
Finally listened to BAND-MAID's first three mini albums.

Maid In Japan. I downloaded this one in 2015 but never really listened to it outside a song or two. This is a reeeally great set! 8 fantastic Pop Hard Rock tunes. It's a lot softer edged than later releases and has the group's sweetest melodies and vocals. I love these songs, they are catchy, they rock and have a Late 2000's American Rock feel with Give 'Em Enough Rope musical hardness but with superior J-Melodies. "Be OK", "Evergreen", "Key", "Knockin' On Your Heart" the good songs don't stop. Saiki's voice is so underdeveloped you sometimes don't know if it's her or Miku singing. On the reissue "Love, Passion, Matador" is the best song, with the only chorus you could ever call cute in BAND-MAID's discography. I like this one a lot the Pop Punk BAND-MAID. The visuals for the era are weird, Saiki doesn't look like herself and Misa is way too badass to wear that little hat.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9bL5jO_tE

New Beginning. This is where the band becomes more Metal. From the first song "Thrill", the track that was the introduction to BAND-MAID for many including me, it rocks a lot harder than Maid In Japan with harder riffs and smashing feel. You have all the band's early classics, "Real Existence" is one of their definitive tracks and "Don't Let Me Down" is great as well with all English lyrics that...I don't know if Saiki and Miku really knew what they where singing. Their is a lot of back and forth between the two on the early albums, unlike later releases. Miku is best used as a secret weapon of sorts, but the two vocalist feel gives the earlier music a lot of character. Her song "Beauty And The Beast" is awesome. I like this one a lot, it has so many awesome songs and a great feeling. "Price Of Price" has the greatest riff in the band's catalog yet. and man, this mini album just plain rocks. I'VE GOT TO BE ON MY WAY! Fricking I love this group so much like it's insane. They just do everything I want in music. Like frick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TkHpvaO09c&t=0s

Brand New Maid. Easily my least favorite of the bunch. The group makes little steps towards the MAJOR improvement on Just Bring It, but at this point it's clear the band really needed to start writing their own songs, something that made their music SO MUCH better. This is kind of standard J-Heavy Rock, it sounds like it's written by people who have written 1000's of songs. It lacks impact for me and so many of the songs pass me by. Unlike the previous two, this one had much fewer highlights. It's what makes the groups breakthrough with the next two albums all the better. You can hear the band improve throughout these three mini albums, but once they took control on the next album and started to write the songs, that's when they became one of the greats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axF56i4spio&t=0s&index=4

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:55:36 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal Claus

• Joulupukki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: November 18, 2018, 11:41:39 AM »
Making two BAND-MAID tapes, one for the 3 mini albums and another for the other stuff. This is maybe the definitive mix for myself, I've made 2-3 other mixes.

Tape 1 "The Non Fiction Days" on a 60 Minute
Spoiler
Be OK
Evergreen
Thrill
Love, Passion, Matador
Key
Look At Me
Price Of Pride
Knockin' On Your Heart 

Real Existence
Don't Let Me Down
Beauty And The Beast
Don't Apply The Brake
Big Dad
Order
Alone
Shake That     

Tape 2 "glory" on a 90 minute
Spoiler
DICE
One And Only
Domination
So, What?
CROSS
Spirit!!
CLANG
Moratorium
glory
Rock In Me
Choose Me
Turn Me On

Don't You Tell Me
Take Me Higher!!
Carry On Living
Daydreaming
anemone
Start Over
Decided By Myself
YOLO
Awkward
I Can't Live Without You
Secret My Lips
OOPARTS

You guys may well never hear the end of me and BAND-MAID. This is the greatest band in the world of this decade. NO QUESTION. This is the best Rock music the world has blessed on us since forever. These girls are the only hope for Hard Rock and Heavy Melodic music left. God knows a Western band would never have the balls to make music like this anymore. I know it's not all degenerate trashbags with no will or care to see tomorrow or strive for a better life mumbling and glorifying horrific lifestyles and silly Indie bands who try to make "art" instead of good tunes, but certainly it feels like J-Music is my only hope for every kind of music I like besides what Carly Rae and Lorde do.

BAND-MAID is the sound of fighting spirit and improvement. It's the sound of five women working hard to be great at their instruments and develop as songwriters/performers. It's burning and urgent music that gets right to the soul. Fast paced, slamming, ITS EVERYTHING I want Rock music to be! Not to mention the perfect production, FOR REAL World Domination is the best sounding Rock album I have ever heard. It's mixed to perfection and really rips out the speakers, everyone pops out on the album and Akane's powerful drums provide this intense smashing to go over it all.

I have heard plenty bands like this in J-Rock. But only BAND-MAID have reached this high status of all time greats because they just pack such a punch. It makes me want to be in the fricking band. I'm so passionate about how much I love this band that everyone around me knows, lol. Every element of the music clicks there is nothing off at all in BAND-MAID's sound. Song after song of just amazing Rock. This is the music I could only dream of. It's melodic and heavy. There is no BS there is no stupid stuff. There is nothing at all that feels wrong or annoying about the music. Not to mention their awesome visuals which help. Western bands today seem to forget how important visuals are in making a connection.                 

I can just keep listening over and over and it's so powerful it makes my blood boil. It makes me feel like man I have to do this. I need to form a band and not just be in my basement! It's like man I wish I had a way out of this One Man Band garbage, but I don't because I'll never find the people I need to form the band I want. BAND-MAID make the most motivating music. I fricking love this music so much it's driving me insane. They are better than anything else I've gotten into this year, even the Smiths. It's music that is like, HOW! HOW IS THIS REAL? Is BAND-MAID even real? How can they be this awesome? They are way more than just another J-Rock band, this is important music to me. I need music that makes me feel powerful and makes me want to strive for a better life. This is that kind of music, the sound that makes me want to be better in every aspect. The sound of improvement and self betterment. That is BAND-MAID.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:49:17 AM by Manimal »

Offline DaeofthePast

• View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: November 23, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »
Christmas C'mon by Lindsey Stirling

Offline Manimal Claus

• Joulupukki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: November 24, 2018, 04:55:16 PM »
Finally making a Seiko Oomori mix, which I haven't really done yet oddly enough. A lot of Kusokawa Party songs because they work so well in this context. Tokyo Black Hole doesn't have a ton of songs I wanted to put on it though. Reading her lyrics translated again it really makes me wish I could understand her songs. The lyrics are insane, the stuff she writes about is just unheard of elsewhere. It makes me loose a little bit of connection to her songs but it's still all in the tones and her overall boldness.

Tokyo Black Hole
Zettai Kanojo
Midnight Seijun Isei Kouyuu 
Imitation Girl
Nama Kill The Time 4 You
Aish!teru.com
ZOC Jikkensh!tsu 
GIRL'S GIRL
Last Dance
Kyuru Kyuru
Endless
Pink Methocera     

Dogma Magma
draw (a) drow
7:77
YABATAN
Kodoma Ja Nai Mon 17   
Ameba no Koi 
Nostaglic J-Pop 
Shinigami
Kimi ni Todoku na - kitixxxgaia ver. 
Positive Stress
Mixed Juice 

Offline Manimal Claus

• Joulupukki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: November 26, 2018, 07:32:31 AM »
A classic much needed morning quicklist.   

Bob Dylan : It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
The Clash : English Civil War
BAND-MAID : EverGreen
Oyasumi Hologram : Colours
Mika Nakashima : Kiss Of Death
Rina Sawayama : Ordinary Superstar
Perfume : Laser Beam
Seiko Oomori : Nostalgic J-Pop
Haru Nemuri : Sekai Wo Torikaesh!te Okure   
DAOKO : Owaranai Sekai De   
Crying : There Was A Door
Iron Maiden : Holy Smoke
Litku Klemetti : Liisa
The Smiths : Well I Wonder
Wednesday Campanella : The Little Match Girl   
Utada Hikaru : Making Love
Carly Rae Jepsen : Party For One
BiSH : FOR HiM

I cannot get over the guitar in the chorus of Haru's song, it's literally the best part of the whole album. Better than the already catchy chorus itself. Drives me crazy, it's like wtf it seems so simple but how do you come up with something so brilliant like that. It's also the tactical use of guitar on the track and how it only does that bit in the chorus. Than those Shakugan No Shana II "Joint" arpeggios it does after are just...stop it's too good.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:44:56 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal Claus

• Joulupukki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: December 02, 2018, 08:51:30 PM »
Finally I can listen to the Christmas records I got months ago.

Elvis' Christmas Album

There's a lot of versions of this record but I have the 50th anniversary green vinyl one with the original tracklist. Side 1 is good ol' Elvis pure 50's Rock Christmas and side 2 is quiet, sparsely instrumented gospel. Side 1 is pretty fresh, it's lively and even songs like "White Christmas" move! I like it a lot, Elvis is in full form. "Blue Christmas" is the classic, and I quite like his take on "Here Comes Santa Claus". Side 2 is nice also, Elvis gospel is real stuff and though very low key the performances are good and while it seems tacked on to fill time (a lot of it from an earlier EP) it's a nice addition to this record. I like "O Little Town Of Bethlehem" on here and "Silent Night" sounds great.

I have another version just called Blue Christmas and it's not so good. Mismashes eras and has the organic 50's tracks that move along with the later career country ballads with strings and all. Which are not bad, but I prefer Elvis' dynamite 50's vocal style, plus putting "Mama Liked The Roses" at the end of the album is a sure way to make me emotional, never mind some of the other tracks on side 1. What kind of animal put that song on a Christmas record! Jeez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWcFiGKm-JU

The Beach Boy's Christmas Album

A holly jolly, cheesy & campy, Yuletide record. It has silly and fun energy with nearly all of side 1 being Brian Wilson originals and side 2 traditional tracks. You have super cheesy childish songs like "Santa's Beard", vintage Beach Boys with Christmas lyrics "Little Saint Nick" and..."Frosty The Snowman"? Okay ya, why not. The first side is great, lots of classic harmonies and energy. I don't like side 2 as much, it slows down and does the orchestra thing which is not as fun. Plus I think some of the takes just stink on here. Brian Wilson's performances of "Blue Christmas" and "White Christmas" don't move me at all, kinda dull. I like side 1 it's great fun! But side 2 is kinda lame. Dennis Wilson gives a monologue at the end, it's...something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSynDh_K0EE     

Of course the first night of Yule music entails A Charlie Brown Christmas which to me is the greatest piece of Christmas media of all time, along with the TV special. Upon recalculating I'd put it in my top 10 albums ever and is one of perhaps 7-8 albums I'd give a perfect 10/10 (Born To Run, Highway To Hell, Daydream Nation, Thriller, Pet Sounds & Hatful Of Hallow also, Emotion and All Things Must Pass are personal 10's that I know are not fully perfect). I can speak at lengths how this album gets to me and represents everything Christmas means to me in a single album. It has most of my top Christmas tracks like Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Christmas Time Is Here and O' Christmas Tree, along with the impossible to feel bad Linus And Lucy and everything else. Ya I love it.   
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:57:32 PM by Manimal Claus »

Offline Manimal Claus

• Joulupukki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: December 08, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »
Spotify's list of "Your Top Songs 2018". I don't think it's correct given the way I use Spotify but anyway. Some of these make no sense to be here (Pearly is here yet Composite & Theme From Rock Island are the only songs I listened to outside the album), but it shows you have...greatly varied...my musical choices, on Spotify (which is not my primary musical frontier since I have you know albums and I only listen to mixtapes in the car) are.

The Smiths : The Headmaster Ritual
Seiko Oomori : Shinigami
BAND-MAID : anemone
Morrisey : The National Front Disco
The Smiths : I Want The One I Can't Have
BAND-MAID : DOMINATION
The Smiths : The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Seiko Oomori : GIRL'S GIRL
BAND-MAID : OOPARTS
The Smiths : Nowhere Fast
Rush : Subdivisions
BiSH : Hontou Honki
The Replacements : Alex Chilton
The Smiths : Hand In Glove
BAND-MAID : One And Only
Yellow Magic Orchestra : Technopolis
Palm : Pearly
OOHYO : School Bus
BAND-MAID : So, What?
Morrisey : Everyday Is Like Sunday
Seiko Oomori : ZOC
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:07:22 PM by Manimal Claus »

• View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: December 08, 2018, 08:28:59 PM »
Mine was 7 hours long lol.

Have you done the Spotify Wrapped thing? https://spotifywrapped.com
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:48:15 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Manimal Claus

• Joulupukki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: December 08, 2018, 08:35:51 PM »
No, hhhm let's see. My Spotify is hard because my Mom used mine until they introduced the family plan so she had a playlist and most of my most played songs are from that collection of tunes she listened to a ton, so my Spotify stats aren't accurate to me.

The Smiths are still top artist with 20 hours listened. Others where Bruce (from my Mom's playlist because Bruce is a legacy artist to me now), BAND-MAID, The Clash and Seiko. I did find some good stuff from the tastebreakers playlist already though lol. Cool anyway. On this picture "anemone" is the only song of mine on the list, the others are Mom tunes. "Thunder Road" would be in my 2014 one if I had Spotify then.

Spoiler
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:39:54 PM by Manimal Claus »

• View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: December 08, 2018, 09:00:40 PM »
Lol my top artist was Asian Kung Fu Generation who I don't even like that much. Only listened to them for 4 hours (in one sitting; I was in a weird mood). Also listened to David Garland for 4 hours because of that one album, but it didn't count, I guess because it was only one album.

Offline Manimal Claus

• Joulupukki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: December 09, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »
4 hours and that's your top listened artist on Spotify this year, shows how many different things you listen to compared to me lol.

With that I make my year end mixtape, on a 90 minute, for the 5th year! The sounds that soundtracked my year. For me talking about my musical year in detail click the spoiler tag.

Spoiler
This year belonged to The Smiths and BAND-MAID. I held back to only include 2 songs from each and 1 Morrisey song on here, because man I listened to hell out of both bands. The Smiths I had started listening to in 2016 but only this year did I fully understand the band. BAND-MAID had been low-key on my radar, and I liked the band before but when WORLD DOMINATION came out this year I grew obsessed with the band. Thank God for "anemone" without that song I might not have got this into the band, it was the song that scooped me in. The Clash's Give 'Em Enough Rope was one of the only shocking new to me albums I found this year, I fricking love the hell out of that album, EASILY the best Clash album, NO CONTEST, and one of the best pure Rock 'n Roll albums and guitar power projects I've heard! "All The Young Punks" is a total anthem, it needed to conclude the tape along with BiSH's powerful song "FOR HiM".

"Shinigami" is the crown defining song of my 2018, Seiko's greatest song since "Nama Kill The Time 4 You", and an absolute soul destroyer. Kusokawa Party will always be special since it came out the same day I came home from Kansas, so when I put the album on and "Shinigami" started, it just grabbed me in such a profound manner. Seiko keeps on giving, she's so exciting and though Kusokawa Party has 2 mediocre tracks near the end, the first 7 songs are badass. Although she's been a music hero of mine since 2016, she hasn't faded to a "legacy" artist to me because she keeps on doing awesome things. Seiko Oomori is my Rock 'n Roll star of the modern day.

About 3 songs on here relate to KC, "Subdivisions" struck me because of the lyrics, it related deeply to my life in the beginning of the year and then it became the first song I listened to on my first ever flight. Of course Rush has been around in my life for so long because you can't be Canadian and not have lived through a Rush song before, but I hadn't really heard "Subdivisions" until this year. "Some will sell their dreams for small desires, or lose the race to rats. Get caught in ticking traps, and start to dream of somewhere to relax their restless flight". The Beatles' "Kansas City" was a natural choice. There was a Beach Boys second coming mini era, "Let Him Run Wild" was a song I hadn't heard before, it's an addicting song. I also finally understood the Smile songs. Sometimes artists come around for that second raid. I almost put the Replacements' "Alex Chilton" especially because it played in a bar in KC, but the Replacements faded later in the year.

Ghost's "Rats" is an odd choice because I hated this song. It was played (and still plays) on Rock radio that we sometimes listen to on the job everyday. I came to love it very very slowly however and finally admitted it was an awesome song. The Smith songs "Ask" and "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" where the most important of their songs I hadn't known prior to this year. Both are maybe Top 5 best from the band, I adore "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" for it's repetitive jangly music and Morrisey's stunning lyrics. I do think however this line from "Nowhere Fast" is his #1 best lyric, "and if the day came when I felt a natural emotion, I'd get such a shock I'd probably jump in the ocean". I was very close to putting that song on here. My other two favorite Morrisey lyrics are "If you're so funny, then why are you on your own tonight?" and "Everybody's got to live their life, and God knows I've got to live mine". I don't really know why on that last one, I just kind of love it. I think "The National Front Disco" is an interesting tune, the music is good and the lyrics are written from an unclear perspective, only Morrisey could write a song like this in this way. It and "Everyday Is Like Sunday" are the only solo songs of his I really like.

The big shock this year was how fast I came to dislike Nirvana and stop listening to them complete. I have shunned them away, I have never got sick of a band this quickly before. I'm just done with them. Though I still think "Sliver" is one of the best ever Rock songs I have no intent to listen to the band again for now. I just don't like the feeling. Weezer as well I've come to dislike a lot and I don't want to listen to the Blue Album again, I kind of hate The Sweater Song and Say It Ain't So now. I still have a big place in my heart for Sonic Youth even if I don't listen to them much anymore it would be impossible to not have Daydream Nation in my top 10 albums. I also didn't listened to a Kendrick album all year and have ignored rap altogether outside the J Alt Idol stuff. It's just not my kind of tone and music. Another year and J-Pop and Rock reign high once again with a lot of nice soft breezy eletro tracks being on my tape (thanks for "Things" Pipe I fricking love that song so much it became an instant classic that made it on my mix right away). 

I think my music tastes have become set in place. I love Rock 'n Roll in spirit and genre, Hard Rock & 50's the most but also other variants, J-Pop (Alt-Idol, electo style, anything with a girl singer pretty much), Dream + Jangle Pop, well made feel good Pop and Jazz the most (though I don't listen to it very often it's still one of my favorite styles, piano led jazz). I kind of want to go outside my norms, because I was doing that in 2016 then I grabbed Sonic Youth, The Smiths, MBV & The Misfits and firmly exited "Wack Town". I was getting into Jazz Fusion for a bit but didn't look more into it. I want to find more new to me music next year. This year was really just focused on two bands and other stuff. Not a lot of "new discoveries".   

I'll talk more about some of the other stuff and freak out about the guitar part in the chorus of Haru's song in the 2018 music thread. Carly Rae's song was not good enough to make my list, it's not a new classic at all. I like it but I really hope the album is better and this is just a weaker first single like "I Really Like You" was. But ya that's all. 2018 was once more a year focused on my own music, I made my three best albums Skywalk, Post America and My Nonsense, maybe there was no Sonic Youth, Bruce Springsteen discovery, but there was The Smiths and BAND-MAID to give me motivational power so it worked.

Ghost : Rats
Mika Nakashima : Kiss Of Death
DAOKO : Samishii Kamisama
Kero Kero Bonito : Time Today
Rina Sawayama : Ordinary Superstar
Crying : Patriot
The Smiths : Ask
Yellow Magic Orchestra : Rydeen
Rush : Subdivisions
The Beatles : Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey   
The Beach Boys : Let Him Run Wild

Haru Nemuri : Sekaiwotorikaesh!teokure
BAND-MAID : Decided By Myself
Morrisey : The National Front Disco
The Smiths : The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
BAND-MAID : anemone
Scandal : Mado Wo Aketara
Palm : Composite     
Louis Cole : Things
BiSH : FOR HiM
The Clash : All The Young Punks (New Boots And Contracts) 

Offline Manimal Claus

• Joulupukki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: December 11, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »
Listening to another classic quick list quickly.

EMPiRE : Black To The Dreamlight
BiSH : Stereo Future
PEDRO (BiSH AYUNi D Solo Project) : Piece of Sh!t Loneliness 
BAND-MAID : Rock In Me
BiS : Romeo's Heart
Maison Book Girl : Semai Monogatari
Haru Nemuri : Narash!te
Lyrical School : Orange
Satellite Young : Jack Doushi
MAZE1981 : Hideout 
A Flock Of Seagulls : Space Age Love Song
Bruce Springsteen : I'm On Fire
The Smiths : I Know It's Over
Sonic Youth : Cotton Crown
Elvis Presley : I Forgot To Remember To Forget   
The Rolling Stones : Play With Fire
Led Zeppelin : Your Time Is Gonna Come
Vince Guaraldi Trio : Christmas Is Coming     
Utada Hikaru : Time Will Tell                                       

Offline Hikaru Muto

• Freelance Artist
  • Hello everyone! I am a traditional artist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: December 12, 2018, 01:55:54 AM »
Automatic by Utada Hikaru sounds like a big classic to me