April 16, 2024, 02:13:46 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 777345 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4905 on: September 13, 2018, 08:16:11 PM »
A playlist with a few normals and some new stuff for me.

BAND-MAID : So, What?
The Smiths : I Don't Owe You Anything
DAOKO : Mercury
Seiko Oomori : Noroi Ha Mizuiro   
Allan Holdsworth : Metal Fatigue
Scott Henderson : Dolemite
Chick Corea Elektric Band : Elektric City
Mike Stern : Little Shoes
Joe Pass : Cloe
Wes Montgomery : D Natural Blues
Grant Green : Mambo Inn
Pat Metheny : Bright Sized Life
Yellow Magic Orchestra : Cosmic Surfin'
Yes : Siberian Khatru
Rush : La Villa Strangiato 

I listened to Bright Sized Life and Close To The Edge earlier today. Daaaaamn Yes is not so bad. What a good album that was, shorter in overall length than I feared with the two long songs being real epics with linking parts that worked well, especially the I get up I get down bit. That last song though is crazy, some really great stuff, and pretty awesome musicianship. Loving all this guitar jazz also, randomly came across Bright Sized Life and it led me to other stuff. Damnit jazz guitar I wish I could play...in any way besides normal rock licks. How cool this all is.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:19:19 PM by Manimal »

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: September 13, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
Bright Size Life is one of the better Metheny projects. The title track is great. Got to see him live and he was pretty great. He's not one of my favorite album artists because he can get a bit corny for my tastes, but he's a great player. Very melodic. Interesting how all of the guitarists on ECM records were very different even though the label is associated with a very strong aesthetic. Check out Ralph Towner and Terje Rypdal for reference.

Also, Wes Montgomery is one of the greats. The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery is where it's at.

And of course Close to the Edge is great. Relayer and Tales From Topographic Oceans are great albums of their too. I guess the next step would be to listen to King Crimson's debut, though it's not my favorite (once they get to Lizard is when I tune in, Lark to Red is best era tho). It's one of the most acclaimed. KC albums have to be purchased tho. They're nowhere to be found in streaming platforms. They're still in print tho, at least.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:49:42 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: September 23, 2018, 02:42:35 PM »
I'll just take a moment to boost up this guy (band?) called Lincoln. I can only find the one EP by him, but it's 16 minutes of the exact kind of music I wish I could have listened to about halfway through college. It really captures that feeling of coming from a small, agrarian place and then getting a taste of the life outside of it and the wider world of adulthood maybe at a fast rate than you were expecting. So that's a mood and a half, and it's probably not the exact thing he was going for when he wrote the songs. But damn it if they don't resonate like that. He sorta reminds me of Manimal in a weird way (especially Post America). Subject matter is different sure, but there's a similar emotion going on.

It's called A Constant State of Ohio. Check it out.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6vEyxIuSDfiR0qIfK7F167?si=UWrpntdVSQKT0pZeVuj76g

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: October 01, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »
A classic October morning quick list. 

The Smiths : I Want The One I Can't Have
Yui : Daydreaming
Scandal : Platform Syndrome
Seiko Oomori : ZOC Jikkensh!tsu
DAOKO : BANG!
AZALEA : LONELY TUNING
Iron Maiden : Children Of The Damned
Megadeth : Addicted To Chaos
The Beatles : Misery
Buddy Holly : It Doesn't Matter Anymore
Utada Hikaru : Hotel Lobby
Perfume : Secret Secret
Chiwa Saitou : Staple Stable
Aya Hirano : White Album
Nana Kitade : Pureness
Paul Stanley : It's Alright
Bruce Springsteen : Candy's Room
BAND-MAID : Decided By Myself     

It's the time of the year for Maiden and Megadeth, who normally sneak back into things throughout the year because they are the two most enduring metal bands for me. Maiden is just top 10 all time love 'em, put on Powerslave and I'm feeling good singing along like "RUN, LIVE TO FLY, FLY TO LIVE, ACE'S HIIIGHHH". Megadeth as well, Countdown and Youthanasia are just the right amount of metal aggression with crafty riffs and amazing tight solos in the context of catchy well put together tunes. Maiden & Megadeth are eternal like I can just keep listening to them and not feel like whatever. Though Megadeth have considerable less albums I listen to, only about 4 go to's (Countdown, Youthanasia, Rust & Peace Sells) and 3 somewhat occasional options (Cryptic Writings, Killing Is My Business, So Far...) where Maiden has about 7-8 go to albums with 4 true full out classics, Powerslave, Number Of The Beast, Seventh Son and Iron Maiden.

You know I find after listening to them for 3 years, The Beatles first era to Beatles For Sale is my favorite because it has the songs I keep going back to. It has the enduring tracks that I just connect with and feel in my soul. It has that classic 50's feel with the nice tunes and melodies. That stuff I never get sick of, like Rubber Soul and all is the best stuff ya but I get the idea, it doesn't get right into my heart of hearts the same way songs like Please Please Me, This Boy, I'll Be Back, No Reply etc. do. The best music is the kind that I want to put on my mixtapes in the car and the kind I don't tire of. Like BAND-MAID who man I just love BAND-MAID the music is soooooo fricking GOOD. The tunes are out of this world and Saiki's steaming hot husky voice is a refreshing change, combined with the very tight music. I fricking love BAND-MAID man holy sh!te they are just too good. January to August I was all about the Smiths, now I'm all about BAND-MAID. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:38:12 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: October 02, 2018, 08:36:42 AM »
Part II of the October morning quick list series.

Ever : Wednesday
Sonic Youth : 'Cross The Breeze
Iron Maiden : Revelations
BAND-MAID : Cross
miwa : Hikari e
Carly Rae Jepsen : Fever
Perfume : The Best Thing
The Beatles : Baby It's You
Megadeth : I Thought I Knew It All
Scandal : Mado Wo Aketara
Snow : Sakasama No Chou
Ac/Dc : Down Payment Blues
Seiko Oomori : Ameda no Koi
Mariko Goto : 4 Gatsu 6 Nichi
Hatsune Miku : Proof Of Existence
AKB48 : Halloween Night 

I never forget how much I still love Ac/Dc but sometimes you need a classic song to come on to really just remember why it is this band connected with me so hard in 2010 and still today. They are enduring because of those classic Bon albums and the whole band coming together for one common vision and style. Powerage is such a stone cold no doubt Rock classic and so are High Voltage, Let There Be Rock and Highway To Hell. Bon Ac/Dc stands high over all other rock for me because it never gets old and it's not overblown and trying to be deep. But with Bon they did hit these great artistic levels and no one in the world could do their style with the same results. There is truly no better rock band than Bon era Ac/Dc, no rock guitarist better than Malcolm Young, I have no doubt in that whatsoever. They where true rock n' roll and no other band is close to what they did on Let There Be Rock and Powerage. This is all the proof you need to back my claims.

When I was younger I would say KISS is my favorite band but Ac/Dc is the best band. I still believe it. My holy trinity of KISS, Ac/Dc and Bruce is untoppable. But you guys know this because I've said it so many times.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:42:40 AM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: October 05, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »
October morning quick list Part III. 

Seiko Oomori : Nama Kill The Time 4 You
Perfume : Plastic Smile
Iron Maiden : Infinite Dreams
9nine : Colourful
Aya Suzaki : Dramatic Market Ride
Buddy Holly : Fool's Paradise
The Beatles : Ask Me Why
Dancing Dolls : Monochrome
AZALEA : Sotsugyou Desu Ne
ClariS : DROP
George Harrison : Apple Scruffs
Megadeth : Elysian Fields
Ac/Dc : Walk All Over You
Ace Frehley : What's On Your Mind?
Hatsune Miku : Sound
Hearts Grow : Kasanaru Kage
Utada Hikaru : Hotel Lobby
BAND-MAID : Daydreaming

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: October 07, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »
Revisiting Iron Maiden's "Fear Of The Dark", an album I've only listened to once before.

The last of Bruce Dickinson's first run, Fear Of The Dark is spotty and ranges from awesome to garbage. The best moments are the shorter to the point songs. "Be Quick Or Be Dead" is a quick 'n' cool opener. "From Here To Eternity" is an absolute gem. A total Ac/Dc song, the simplest of Iron Maiden's discography, it has such a catchy chorus and campy video. It's just so fun. I really like "Judas Be My Guide" it gives the late part of the album a well needed kick. "Wasting Love" is almost good, it a little dry in a sense though. Bruce's vocals aren't the best, he got overly Brian Johnson on this and No Prayer For The Dying. The lack of Adrian Smith is always a major flaw also. Janick Gers is okay, and he wrote much for the group however his name is on the most dreadful song Iron Maiden had made to this point, "Weekend Warrior", so...you know.

This is really not a good album. It has moments but overall it's more filler than not. Very uninspired especially in the last act before the title track. "The Apparition" is not so good it sounds so bland like okay let's get this one out of the way. Add "Chains Of Mercy" and you have a second side of no energy or spark until "Judas Be My Guide" kicks in, man I like that song. "JUUDAS MY GUIDE! WHISPERS, IN THE NIGHT! JUUDAS MY GUIDE!". ya and the title track is classic also. Fear Of The Dark has good songs, but it has more bad songs. Despite having such an awesome cover, it's a pretty dull experience overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflrWUzWBkU

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: October 19, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »
Listening to the classic records now it's the season, so some notes. This is the time of year I stop looking for new things and go to what's core.

Ac/Dc's Powerage is a complete bastard of an album. A total showcase of the best of the band's abilities. Bon Scott is on point and delivers his most killer lyrics, he was a good lyricist unlike Brian Johnson and the Youngs. "Down Payment Blues" is his highlight and the way he sings to simple themes was like no other. "Gimme A Bullet" is killer and has excellent lyrics that match the music and "Gone Shootin" is straight up the best Ac/Dc song. It has vibe like nothing else and the riff is great, Bon is great and the solo is on point. "Up To My Neck In You" is the only kind of fillerish song on the record. Powerage is Ac/Dc at their best with the most inspired songs of their discography.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASL3Sx1Vv1Y

KISS Alive! always holds up, it's what KISS is all about. The simple but driving riffs, Peter Criss' swing, and the charisma and ballsack on the table delivery of Paul Stanley who was a great singer and commanding frontman in his prime. Ace Frehley lacked variety in his leads, but his solos where so damn good and memorable on the first 6 albums. His solo spot on Alive II is iconic for myself. Hotter Than Hell is KISS' best album no doubt. It's a true Rock 'N Roll album. Honestly the only real full on RnR in KISS' studio discography, just a ripping, fantastic, record start to finish. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTn62pUrg7s

Dokken's Tooth And Nail is a fairly decent effort, the main issue with the band is the weakness of the rhythm section. On Back For The Attack there are virtually no basslines and the drums are weak. The bass is so low and lacks boom. Don Dokken was a great singer with a very smooth voice, he could handle a lot of songs fairly well. Under Lock And Key is a pretty good album, their best I think. You got some great tunes like "The Hunter", "Will The Sun Rise" and even the ballad "Slipping Away". George Lynch is an insane shredder, he had some juicy and really mind bending solos. "In My Dreams" has some crazy patterns and he goes insane to the point of going a little too far on Back For The Attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exI1ZRE0Pvo

Dokken has always been a good band that's held up in the hair metal era for me, but they have also always lacked the extra punch in the rhythm section. George Lynch is a great guitarist but the band needed another guitarist to balance him. There are corny lyrics of course and Don Dokken gets campy in his delivery, "LIIIGHTNNNINGG!!!!!" but it's all fun. "Dream Warriors" is an eternal anthem for Halloween, never get sick of it. "Into The Fire" is always awesome and "Kiss Of Death" as well. Under Lock And Key is the stand out of their discography. Tooth And Nail is a little rough with some filler and Back For The Attack lacks in certain regards and George Lynch goes a little too hard. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAi2R9NxMnU 

Iron Maiden's first two albums are always awesome. They command punk energy with 70's metal riffs, they are full of life and passion. The self titled is fantastic with some lighter moments and sheer brilliance at times. Clive Burr was a badass drummer, with a real neat groove. Nicko McBrain worked for the band's tighter gallop approach, but Clive was a much more interesting and versatile drummer with his own touch. I still think Nicko is pretty good and he played quite well on Seventh Son which is just an awesome album. Somewhere In Time has an excellent side 1 with all killer tracks. But side 2 drags with very boring songs that do the same thing over and over again. You get sick of all the guitar harmonies, especially how uninspired they become later album. Seventh Son is a much better album. Iron Maiden lack heavily in variety, but they do deliver when needed and I love 'em. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyEZ5_dGxSg 

Bruce Springsteen's Darkness On The Edge Of Town is always a masterpiece. "The Promised Land" is a deeply meaningful song for me with some of Bruce's most just ripping lyrics. It just gets to me, the lyrics and tune. That and "Badlands" are the ones that really reach out to me, "Racing In The Street" as well has lyrics that are just man oh man. My love for Bruce is well known and my love for this album is as well. The River is always excellent, a great double with good pacing. "Drive All Night" is visceral and Bruce's improv at the end takes the song into overdrive. "Ramrod" stands out for how slow moving and fun it is. Tunnel Of Love has some of Bruce's best takes on love. "All That Heaven Will Allow" speaks to me on such a deep level, it's my values and feelings in a songs, and "Valentine's Day" is a great finale. "One Step Up" is killer. But the album does have some big time misses like "Spare Parts" and "Cautious Man", so it isn't perfect.   

For me the Top 5 Most important and meaningful Bruce songs to my life are, "Thunder Road", "Backstreets", "The Promised Land", "All That Heaven Will Allow" and "Waiting On A Sunny Day".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Cf6pgwm0I   

Utada Hikaru's First Love is always great. It's a set of strong tunes with a filler song or two. There is a certain sweetness to her voice and the music feels nice. "First Love" is a great ballad for that dramatic phrase "you where always gonna be the one", Utada just delivering killer English phrases. "Time Will Tell" is nice and I love the finale "Give Me A Reason". Not to mention the most underrated song "B&C". Distance is not as good, it's top loaded with all the good songs right off the bat then it declines in quality. "Distance" is of course my favorite J-Pop song of all time! and there are other nice songs, but Distance isn't as good overall as First Love.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqNwAgApzrc

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:21:45 PM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: October 22, 2018, 01:45:57 PM »
Another round of classic records-a-goin' along with Body Oder 4.

Judas Priest's Sin After Sin is a pretty good early record. I love the album cover and the old basement feeling it gives me. The songs are pretty solid, some rockers and surprisingly good ballads like "Last Rose of Summer". It shows how Priest could be a little more versatile in the 70's. "Sinner", "Starbreaker" and "Distant Aggressor" are awesome tracks as is the cover of "Diamonds & Rust". Sin After Sin isn't a super album but it's a good listen and a lot less campy, cheesy, than Priest normally is. Hell Bent For Leather is more inconsistent in terms of quality. You have killer tracks like "Delivering The Goods", "Rock Forever" and the dynamic "Evening Star". It has stinkers like the lame corny sing along "Take On The World". It's more bombastic like Priest tends to be. Some great songs, some lesser tracks. "Before The Dawn" is an awesome ballad. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDU-j9Q4nM

I'M FLIPPING. Priest's album Stained Glass is really Stained CLASS. Are you joking are you kidding me, this is a lie. I've had this album since 2014 and only realized this. Eh whatever, still calling it Stained Glass, better title.

Iron Maiden's The Number Of The Beast is their best album for a number of reasons. For one the band hadn't hardened on a sound, so there is more variety and general energy to the music. The gallop is used to great effect on "Run To The Hills", as a rare thing it really pops, but when later albums overused it, the effect was lost. Not to mention the guitars are more interesting with some ripping great solos. "22 Arcadia Avenue" is a poor song, but the composition is good. Clive Burr is awesome, his style is so unique and his drum pattern on "The Number Of The Beast" is absolutely swinging. He had such feel to his playing where Nicko would sooner just do his little cymbal pattern and fast single bass drum tricks. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is Maiden's definitive masterpiece also.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J51LPlP-s9o

KISS' Dynasty is always a favorite. The songwriting is much improved, Paul brings 3 top tier songs. "Sure Know Something" is a top 10 KISS song! "Magic Touch" is a hidden gem on side 2. Ace brings 3 awesome rock tunes. "2000 Man" is a fit cover and despite the poor lyrics on "Hard Times" and "Save Your Love" they are good tracks. Ace's 78 Solo Album is good. He delivers some solid rock with cool tricks in the production thanks to Eddie Kramer. He has a carefree attitude, but some of the vocal melodies are piss poor like "Speedin' Back To My Baby". Not to mention the solos are kind of just a mismash of what he normally does. However the album is good as a whole. But it doesn't match Paul's 78 Solo Album which is one of the best 70's hard rock albums there is. Paul expanded his normal range and delivered a set of really really great songs. It's dynamic and has so many excellent tunes. "Love In Chains" and "Goodbye" aren't top tier, but there is a much better range in music on Paul's album not to mention his highlight solo on "Hold Me, Touch Me".   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSURhxNYmDw

The Pretenders debut surprised me, I hadn't listened to it yet. It started pretty meh with some wonky high energy tunes. But Side 2 is where it got really good. "Kid" is one of the best New Wave songs ever, jangle riffs and a really excellent solo. Chrissie Hyde is a unique vocalist and she gives great performances. "Private Life" is a cool reggae-ish tune and "Mystery Achievement" is a good closer. I didn't like the first few songs at all but this album REALLY saves itself halfway through. Man does it ever get good. Black Sabbath's debut is always good for October but it's not a perfect album. Side 2 is filler city. Two cover songs and a run on guitar solo feel like the band had no idea what to put on the second half, it's the definition of filler. But the title track still kicks it to this day.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbC8JltxSq8

Metallica's Kill 'Em All is still pretty good. I was obsessed with it in 2011, it and Katy Perry's One Of The Boys where my two albums of the year lol! The album is youthful and packed with energy, the lyrics can be awful and James sounds like he was building his confidence. Kirk as well was developing, his solos are aggressive like Dave Mustaine's early works, but there is never really a stand out. The album is packed with classics, "No Remorse" is always awesome and "The Four Horsemen" with it's prog arrangement. "(Anesthesia)—Pulling Teeth" is about the only time a bass solo song was awesome and not filler. The album is good for shwocasign the band's early power and speed, while they developed into something better, Kill 'Em All is a good record of that youthful power. Though I hate that the record doesn't have "Blitzkrieg" and "Am I Evil?" like the tape I always listened to. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKXQ_o97mvA   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:31:11 PM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline Ronnaldo12

• The more you look , the more you see
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: October 22, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »
the great beyond (R.E.M)

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: October 23, 2018, 12:12:31 PM »
Notes from yesterdays record chain. 

Judas Priest's Defenders Of The Faith is a set of decent songs that are very consistent in their tone but the production is very dated and some moments are questionable. The drum machine doesn't help any, never mind the bass lines so boring they don't exist or help with any sense of groove. The guitars are unique, the sound is very processed but they come together for a cool sound. On songs like "Love Bites" and "The Sentinel" the effects sound really good. The edge Priest has over Maiden is the power of the guitarists, they are much better players who come up with some ripping and cool solos. "Eat Me Alive" is the lowpoint, horrific lyrics and it's just...gross...I don't like relating bj's to cannibalism especially with some of the worst and funniest Priest lyrics like "I'm going to force you at gunpoint to eat me alive". Like buddy, calm down. "Love Bites" really stands out for how detailed and well put together it is. I like the record but the sound is just a lil too...processed. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWFkhLUcvo0

W.A.S.P.'s The Headless Children in some ways could be W.A.S.P.'s best album, but it has too many filler songs that beat you over the head with the boring and overly loud drums. The double bass on "Thunderhead" is annoying, and "The Neutron Bomber" has never been a favorite. However this album has amazing songs. "The Heretic (The Lost Child)" is utterly ripping and a remarkably, crazy and high powered 7 minute opener that just rips, man I love that song, Blackie went hard on it and Chris Holmes even has some good leads behind his normal shred scale he used all the time. "Forever Free" has always been a highlight for being a quieter moment with nice lyrics. I really like that song and wish the album had another quiet moment to ease side 2. "Mean Man" is amusing, and "The Headless Children" is quite good. The album has so many great moments but it's dulled by it's weak tracks, of which there are a few.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6F791TdCBY             

I've listened to Ac/Dc's Back In Black more than enough. However after listening to two very over done 80's albums it was nice to go back to a pure Rock 'N Roll live sound. Mutt really nailed Ac/Dc and brought the best out of them. The sound is timeless, Phil Rudd's drums are just killer as are his simple grooves. Just listen to his lively hi-hat work on "You Shook Me All Night Long", he could groove like a monster. This makes Ac/Dc's music feel alive, Brian Johnson sounds great with a much richer tone. The album has low points like the silly "Given The Dog A Bone" but as a whole it's still a powerful recording. "Rock & Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" is a perfect ender, it says so much about Ac/Dc in one song. It has their whole Brian Johnson era mission statement much like "High Voltage" said it all for Bon. "Back In Black" will always be remembered as the greatest Hard Rock riff of all time. Yes, "Smoke On The Water" can suck it, that song sucks, I have great distaste for Deep Purple and the riff has never been good. "Back In Black" is the true best simple riff. and this album is never not awesome. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iF26wKF-_M

Boston's self titled is always interesting for how well crafted it is. Tom Scholz put so much into it, his guitar parts on "Foreplay/Long Time" are crazy, the smooth use of ebow and all his layering. "Hitch a Ride" is a highlight along with the radio hits that are overplayed but still classic. The only thing is I hate the song "Rock & Roll Band" it's the fakest rock song ever. Boston sing like their coming up from the clubs and put all this work in when it was just Tom making these tracks at home, I really don't like how that song is there like "ya we're a real Rock & Roll band" when they 100% weren't. However this album is still awesome and I always go for it because it has that mighty guitar power. Tom was really onto something, the basslines pop, Brad Delp gives good performances and it's as well made and polished as it set out to be. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1nhIyf5_6Q   

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:15:56 PM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: October 25, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
After finishing The Youngs book this morning and now listening to Let There Be Rock for the who knowsth time, I need to post something.

Let There Be Rock is the greatest Rock 'n Roll record of all time. Period. There is no album that embodies everything R&R is more than this one single album. Everything about it, no reverb, no production tricks, no double tracking, it's just pure performance and intensity with dynamics. Malcolm's guitar tone is the greatest guitar sound I have ever heard in my life on this album. He is an absolute monster of the left channel, his tone is so clear and mean. Angus' sound is way nastier than normal, very loud and trebly. The songs are longer and they really do build and do small things to stay exciting. "Let There Be Rock" explodes in it's last act when Mark Evans plays the octave on the bass and Malcolm starts letting the chords ring, then the change in rhythm to "Bad Boy Boogie" and the whole song of "Go Down".

This is easiest the truest Rock 'N Roll sound EVER. Phil Rudd is just disgusting, his grooves are insane and it's the most head bopping drumming. He is simple but just listen to how he works the hi-hat on "Go Down" and "Overdose". Not to mention his fantastic cymbal work and mad man swing. Bon Scott is so great, his lyrics are fantastic on this album. "I'm only a man don't you understand a man who sometimes lose" is for some reason my favorite lyric of his along with "if this is Hell than you can say, it's Heavenly". He is so on point, delivering everything like the absolute bastard he was. His delivery is full of life and humor, Ac/Dc in the early days rode the line of badass and cheeky. Like it's not super serious, you can tell by the guy dressed as a schoolboy running around, yet it's this silliness combined with complete dedication to rock that give the band a unique character.

The sound is perfect, this is the best sounding RAW rock ever recorded. It's clear, it's dynamic and there is nothing fake about it. Everything just rips. Angus' solos are insane. The end solo of "Whole Lotta Rosie" is likely my favorite guitar solo of all time. It's the sound of someone getting taken away with the music and losing themselves completely, something Angus did all the time in the early days. The aggression of the song as it nears the end, the big sound, the smashing cymbals everything comes together. Let There Be Rock is an album of power, the likes of which have never be equaled. There are so many bands who have been "we're no BS rock" only to find they are 100% BS rock. This album and Powerage are two albums you can't deny are "no BS Rock" because that's all they are.

You have to listen to the whole album to really feel this, it's not Ac/Dc's best album, it's not the best rock album of all time, it's just the best sheer Rock 'n Roll recording ever I believe. It's nothing short of hyper controlled chaos, with swing, groove and caveman destruction. Ac/Dc get that reputation of being a simpleton band and what not, but albums like this show there was way more to them in the Bon days than people who don't get it give it credit for. There is no equal to Let There Be Rock, it's more intense than every single Hardcore Punk album for instance, because it's not anything but completely genuine yet also it's in control and tight. That's what's vital, the band never lose themselves fully and dive into wacktown, they keep a tight groove and go crazy within it.   

I don't like to say things like, you need to listen to records because they sound the best etc., but Let There Be Rock is the example I have always used about why listening to old albums in their intended format has the best sound. I can't imagine this album sounding better on any format than the original ATCO record. It still remains after all this time, Ac/Dc the second band I went crazy for, is still as great as they where to me in 2010 after all I've come to love after. Because in all this time, I have not found any album that does what Let There Be Rock does. Because only Let There Be Rock does this. and that is TIGHT and controlled yet intense and dynamic Rock 'N Roll music. With a great production and absolutely no nonsense approach. Yet packed with character and wit from the charismatic singer. This is a perfect balance that defined and made the Ac/Dc sound great, and why the later Brian Johnson albums weren't as great.

It's important to remember that tightness, because Ac/Dc always kept it together. There is no "attitude" as a code word for being a terrible sloppy player. There are no stupid cryptic lyrics that pass as "deep and thoughtful" when they are literal nonsense over-analyzed and overrated (you know who I'm talking about here). There is just a band dedicated to being awesome. Let There Be Rock is the most definitive Rock 'N Roll recording of all time (for me) because it is all the things I mentioned. Clear. Intense. Controlled. Tight. Dynamic. and Bon Scott's lyrics and delivery are straight forward. He was so great for just giving it and always sounding real. The short of it all is, Ac/Dc with Bon Scott will never not be awesome. The Youngs books only further drove it home why they where the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f2g4RMfhS0

• View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: October 26, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
The new albums by Julia Holter and Daughters are blowing my mind.

• View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: November 05, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic

It's the ultimate Halloween album of 2018, and I didn't even get to listening to it until after Halloween.

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: November 06, 2018, 06:11:10 PM »
My first exposure to City Pop was actually 4 A.M. by Taeko Ohnuki, but I do like to jam on Plastic Love from time to time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bNITQR4Uso