April 18, 2024, 02:16:17 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 777833 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4890 on: June 21, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
Finally got my hands on the old Gorillaz album Demon Days. Oh, how I have missed it. Growing up, I had a friend who had it.

I can now say that there are about five albums that summarize my life and music tastes.
Demon Days by Gorillaz
...and the moon was hungry... by the Romanovs
Paradize 2069 by Extize
Toxicity by System of a Down
and How I Learned to Stop Giving a Sh*t and Love by Mindless Self Indulgence.

In other news, I was just listening around on my library and realized.
Man, this track would make an awesome anime opening for MRverse. I know not everyone is a big fan of that heavy hardstyle bass, but if there was like some kind of "everybody got separated and had to compete in dance tournaments to reform the world or something" story, all I'm saying is that there are worse options.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: June 21, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »
It's a solid filler arc somewhere around the 160's.

May I also submit: https://open.spotify.com/track/4MCyGRJqGyFwevVJ3rctN6?si=iyIeMxhhR9arP3DbtNp27w

On a semi-related note, I've been building lot of playlists in a sort of vision board way for the stories I'm working on. It started with last year's Raid, where it was all kinda just thematically accurate, but with Quest!, while it starts like that for five songs or so, I diverged right into an almost story board of music. It's kinda cool that I can listen through the playlist and almost hear the chapters and scenes.

If nothing else, it's a great way to work out the flow. I can identify where the gaps are just by listening to the thematic jumps.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: June 21, 2018, 09:34:55 PM »
Yeah. I've been thinking about making playlists for all sorts of things. Maybe it can be a new thread? But eh, what do I know? I'm known for posting, not making threads.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: June 26, 2018, 05:52:40 PM »
The playlist that may list a song or two on the avenue. 

Rush : Subdivisions
Sky Ferreira : Everything Is Embarrassing
Subaeris : Crying Pyramid
Future Girlfriend Music : Crazy Nights
ESPRIT : Summer Night 
Neon Bunny : Now
Asobi Seksu : Thursday
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu : Kimi No Mikata   
Perfume : Mugenmirai
Seiko Oomori : Silent Majority
Palm : (Didn't What You Want) Happen
Kero Kero Bonito : You Know How It Is
BAND-MAID : Play
The Smiths : Nowhere Fast
The Beach Boys : Let Him Run Wild
Nico : The Fairest Of The Season
Ozzy Osbourne : Diary Of A Madman
Morrisey : Everyday Is Like Sunday
DAOKO : Suisei 
iri : Slowly Drive
Wednesday Campanella : Zeami
The Beatles : Kansas City / Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey
Bruce Springsteen : Independence Day 
Lorde : A World Alone
Utada Hikaru : Time Will Tell 

Rush really really clicked recently when I put on Moving Pictures, as I have a number of times over the years, but this time it was like wow. Of course I always mention Rush and love them for being Canada's band, and I listen to them now and then casually. But when I finally listened to Signals I was alarmed like oh my God this is an amazing album. "Subdivisions" is a pure masterpiece, the best use of synths in all rock music ever period. It and Limelight are the two greatest Canadian rock songs ever. It's just so fricking good, the lyrics are unbelievable and Geddy sounds perfect. The way it goes into the chorus, changing the drum beat smoothly and going over the riff bars before the "subdivisions" sample voice. Brilliance, Rush where the best when they made the prog tight and in the context of a "pop" song. Not to mention how all the changes work perfectly, man oh man. Imagine making a song this good. Now I've just been listening to them more than before.

I'm obsessed with "Let Him Run Wild". I just found out about it this year, it's the best pre-Pet Sounds Beach Boys song. It's perfect, an amazing short song with remarkable melodies and instrumentation. It's basically a Pet Sounds sound right before the album was made. Kyary certainly lost her relevance but her new single is good, still Nakata has overdone it between her and Perfume. I still like Perfume and the new stuff isn't bad, but he's been doing the same production tricks for a decade now. Perfume's debut is a remarkable album and the production is still top notch, but he's just done too much of the same thing between a number of artists. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:24:35 PM by Manimal »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: July 08, 2018, 02:50:23 AM »
I feel like this is something either Manimal or Lego would do.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: July 13, 2018, 10:11:10 PM »
Good ol' Stevie T. 

Got some records in KC, the stores where fricking insane. Can't even compare with home because the selection is just better than anything I've seen. I only got 4, could've got more if I went mad but I was being reserved and didn't really dig too hard. Some places where too costy as well, aside from Brothers Music the badass place I got everything from. What a rad and fair priced store.

The Beach Boys, 20/20 

A bunch of random songs put together in a surprisingly good post Pet Sounds album. It goes all over, opening with a robotic and emotionless attempt at a surf song "Do It Again" which sounds like Google eating early tracks and trying to make a classic Beach Boys tune. "I Can Do Music" is quite good, the selection of covers is solid. "The Nearest Faraway Place" is a great instrumental, the highlight of the whole record. "Cabinessence" is included at the end and it makes no sense. The album just suddenly goes into "Our Prayer" near the end, which is stupid, then this weird song about railroads and running the iron horse just comes on. "Never Learn Not to Love" is overshadowed by who Dennis may of wrote it with, but otherwise it's a good listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOsozBlH7ng

The Byrds, Mr. Tambourine Man

It's about time I actually found this record. I've said many things about the Byrds because they're awesome and this is a classic record, an essential for 60's rock. Can't be missed. "Mr. Tambourine Man" is one of the finest pop songs of the era and the best Bob Dylan cover of all time. Roger McQuinn came up with something new and made a whole awesome album around the idea of that great electric 12-string. His playing isn't super clean either, on many songs he sounds gritty, like "It's No Use" and the instrumental bits. "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better" has smashed up my playlists for 3 years, love it, absolutely fantastic and shows the band could do great originals as well. "The Bells of Rhymney" has a legendary guitar breakdown, "Chimes Of Freedom" showcases that magic harmony with David Crosby and the whole record goes on without a bad track. The classics shine brightest, but all in all this should always be mentioned along the best rock albums of the 60's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to-RVV_3anw   

The Rolling Stones, Beggars Banquet 

I listened to this album not overly long ago, but now I have it at last. I understand it better, and really got into it. It's not like every song is great, but it keeps up a tone. The band do a lot of cool things. "Sympathy for the Devil" is the kind of song I dislike in every context besides me putting it on. It really is quite a track, but it's easy to forget how good it is. "Street Fighting Man" however is always legendary and I think the very best Stones song aside from maybe  "Waiting On A Friend". The monstrous acoustic and cool ass sitar fills. It's just so awesome. "Stray Cat Blues" is a bastard of a track, "Salt Of The Earth" is classic, "No Expectations" is really good. Keith Richards is very creative throughout and the basslines are so good. It's like they took a bunch of things from songs that inspired them at the time and put it together, and it works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eChZTwmdHa4

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: July 14, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
Hecka hecka dang I forgot "Cinnamon Spider" by Jack Off Jill is literal fire. :heart: :heart: :heart:
Haha signature go brr.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: July 16, 2018, 05:50:28 AM »
I took one of those stupid online tests or whatever that was "What 90s song are you" and got f---ing "Wonderwall".
At first I was a little offended, but then I resigned myself to the fact that getting an Oasis song was inevitable.

Currently on an Oasis binge. I've only really heard a couple of their songs on the radio but I'm kind of inspired now.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: July 24, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »
Yes, Toxicity is a good SOAD album, but can we talk about Mezmerize for a sec? Somehow it feels more raw. Not that Toxicity isn't heartfelt, but it is quite polished. Mezmerize is just...feral.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: July 28, 2018, 08:59:38 AM »
Now I've had more time to take in Kusokawa Party, got the 2 CD+DVD version in. Each version has 2 different tracks after "Tokyo to Kyou", this one being two more acoustic songs, but much better ones. In the same style as Muteki's multiple vocals.

This album is tricky because for the first 7 songs it's a complete and total masterpiece. It's Seiko ripping it up, with a visceral and ridiculously strong energy that makes me feel it in my organs. This is the most hype and badass Seiko's music has ever been, and it just keeps thing going so strong. "Shinigami" is the perfect song, and the perfect opener that goes from soft and offputting to a completely gone wrong chorus, she goes hard on the end. "ZOC Jikkensh*tsu" makes up for the lack or "draw(a)drow" completely. "Last Dance" I completely underrated, it's so amazing and has everything good about Seiko's music in one song.

The album is somewhat challenging or unclear in a way. It takes listens, that is true. You are hit with the most intense and solid block of songs Seiko has ever strung together, and then it suddenly stops and tries to build up, but kind of reaches a grey non-climax of sorts with "Kimoi Kawa". My first impressions where off, this album is a lot bigger than it seems. Seiko was really just throwing ideas out, but the flow of this album takes a listen or two to get used to. It makes you feel jazzed and full of energy before it just stops. It's so impressive what Seiko did with the first 7 songs, easily the best stuff I've heard all year so far. I can listen to them over and over and over and over because they are just perfect. I was so wrong when I said this was alright or Seiko could do better. Kusokawa Party is a great album that is a different feel and not an instant classic like her last three. She took on a different character. 

Song by song there are not many general albums I can think of that stack 7 powerful, energetic and hype songs that good together. kitixxxgaia had Dogma Magma, Positive Stress, JI-MO-TO etc. but not all the first 8 songs where quite equal. But on Kusokawa Party it's just such a ridiculous and powerful block. "draw(a)drow" really set the stage. It's hard to understate how fricking good it is. The last 3 are not the best of best, she has done much better ballads, but it still comes together in a satisfying manner. and it's tight at 10 songs. The bonus versions add a longer "Tokyo to Kyou" section to the album, which works as well. Kusokawa Party won't be known as the best of Seiko but man is it good and worth many listens. Damnit I fricking love Seiko Oomori, no one is better than her nowadays. You're allowed in my top 5 artists of all time now Seiko.

Also Charli XCX's recent single Focus/No Angel is pretty good! I guess she is doing one offs, I wasn't taken by 5 In The Morning but I really like these two songs! Really like Band-Maid's new single "Start Over" Saiki just goes "I don't give a f*ck" in the last lyric after this nice J Pop Rock song. I like this direction since they did so well with "anemone" on World Domination.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:10:08 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: August 15, 2018, 08:00:57 PM »
I finally listened to Can, "Ege Bamyasi". Not bad, basically felt like a jam album led by the drums. The vocalist, mad did he even say words I'm not too sure. But it was cool, a neat album but it felt like there was nothing I could latch onto to on first listen.

I got the record of Melodrama finally, the album still does it for me a year later. Lorde hit something special, it's truly a once in a few years generation defining album (for myself) beside the only other two albums I'd give that title, Emotion and Teenage Dream. All came out at the right times in my life, and all are masterpieces in different ways. Melodrama feels important and while my lifestyle is not what Lorde sings about, I just get it you know. "The Lourve" is one of the great pop songs of our generation. The fact that the ending guitar riff resembles "Born To Run" kills me inside, I almost want to shed a tear when I hear a shadow of the riff that's given me so much hope for my future in times I've been uncertain fade bleakly in that song.

and then The Smiths' debut album is growing on me so much.

I like the lower key and feel of this version of "Reel Around The Fountain". The drums sucks unlike Hatful, and the keyboards are super lame, but the tune still shines. Morrisey hit a home run lyrically, one of the best youthful tales of lost innocence. "You've Got Everything Now" is also lame compared to Hatful, given how strange the vocal mix is. Also the chorus has strange loud dynamics where all this garbage bursts into the mix. It sounds so wrong. Still a top tier tune however. Side 2 is so kick ass that I can't even be mad.

This album has "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle", "Pretty Girls Make Graves", "I Don't Owe You Anything" and  "Suffer Little Children" (YOU MIGHT SLEEP BUT YOU WILL NEVER DREAM) which are amazing. Johnny Marr's riffs really shine here. "Miserable Lie" I can get into, even if Morrisey's yelling is comical and the drums overpower the mix. Man this album has such bad yet glossy production. You have "This Charming Man" which sounds perfect, a masterpiece of a mix where everything is in line, then the fast part of "Miserable Lie" which sounds like a 10 year old mixed it. All this said it's still an album with a lot of character and amazing songs. Man I fricking love the hell out of this band, I went from liking them fine last year to loving them too much this year. Man I fricking love this music so much it makes me want to write essays on how visceral and energized it makes me feel. 

My favorite Johnny Marr riff is either "Handsome Devil", "The Headmaster Ritual" or "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others". Favorite Morrisey lyrics are "Still Ill", "Ask", "I Know It's Over", "The Queen Is Dead", "Cemetry Gates" and "Hand In Glove". "England is mine and it owes me a living" is my favorite Morrisey phrase. Best song overall "The Headmaster Ritual". It's a Jesus tier song. It has EVERYTHING. "Ask" is a heavy runner up.   

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:14:12 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: August 23, 2018, 02:51:49 PM »
PassCode, Locus 

Indies re-record album by Alt-Idols PassCode. The album opens with "Toxic" a deadly computerized electro metal track, fast, urgent and full of changes. The vocals are almost Vocaloid, working perfectly with the music. "Axis" is guitar power, with violent yelling and frantic J Pop melodies. The sound is almost overwhelming and extremely rad. More proof that you can do anything with idol pop and it just works. The music goes all over in one track, "Nextage" swings from tone to tone in such a smooth manner. This is such a killer album, it's an absolute menace. The songs don't do one thing for too long and there are so many sections where you just go...oh man. PassCode is such a powerful group, even when it slows down for "Now I Know" it still packs a punch. "Club Kids Never Die" is a spectacle, going from growling vocals to great J Pop choruses to a metalcore breakdown. This is just awesome music, man. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgC7MLB9ng 

Yellow Magic Orchestra, Solid State Survivor 

Finally the grand synthpop album, in my ears. What a wonder this is. The first 3 songs are God tier, absolutely stunning arrangements. "Rydeen" especially sounding like arcade madness. The familiar basslines that inspired so many are positively pumping and of course the keyboards are next level. Not to mention all the odd sounds. This is the sound of three masters exploding. "Day Tripper" is one of the most unique and transformed covers I've ever heard. "Insomnia" is great and "Solid State Survivor" is too cool. A neat album for sure, great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5jMLJQ9f4 

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: August 27, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »
YMO is GOAT material. They also individually had long, interesting solo careers and produced a ton of neat stuff for other people. Yellow Magic Kayohyoku is a good compilation of a lot of the synthpop stuff they produced, although they did more than just synthpop.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: August 30, 2018, 05:55:04 PM »
Yellow Magic Orchestra, Naughty Boys   

Yes Pipe, I shall see just how good they are. Now an album of full on synth pop tunes, it feels a bit like songs that would shine best if other artists sang them, seeing as the vocals on this album are...not bad but not the greatest. The tunes though are good, there is plenty of neat stuff going on. "Opened My Eyes" is a fun pop number and "Lotus Love" has too many great sounds. "Kai-Koh" has those amazing sharp keyboards. I wasn't super taken by the album, but it was fine. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZSUEJgM47Q 

Dreams Come True, The Swinging Star 

Three piece jazzy 90's J-Pop group with Sonic 1 & 2's composer Masato Nakamura. This is the album made in the mist of Sonic 2 so it has the song I knew from long ago and had the English version on my PSP in the 2008 days "Sweet Sweet Sweet" which has the same melody as the sad ending theme after the boss battle. I cried to that song when I first beat it on the PS2 Mega Collection when I was like 10 because I was already nostalgic for being like 5 when I first played Sonic 2. Anyway, this album is not anything too amazing. It has a very dated sound and production style. Miwa Yoshida is a formidable vocalist and yes, the basslines are damn cool on here. Musically the rest is a lot of dry horns and pretty bland beats. Only in moments like the bass on "Kessen wa Kinyobi" does it sound Sonic 2. It's a fun album of it's time, a little long, often songs just go on, and nothing too great. "Sweet Sweet Sweet" is great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPjZuLljkXo 

Wednesday Campanella, Zipangu   

The group's first album, a slightly rougher more Hip Hop focused album with less of Superman's fine pop appeal. KOM_I is awesome as ever, with all kinds of neat flows. The production is okay, the instrumentals don't explode like on Superman, it seems there is more focus on KOM_I. There is not much in the way of catchiness, the only moment that stuck out is when she goes "Obi-Wan Kenobi". The album is alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuuUfP4uJEk   

BRADIO, YES 

This group became legends when they did the delightfully unfitting OP of Death Parade that bested the show itself. The group is so funky the singer even has an afro for added powers. This is good fun, funky jazzy tunes with falsetto singing and good 70's vibes with a modern production. "LA PA PARADISE" is the single I knew before that I really liked! This group is really solid, it's not an album loaded with winner after winner, it has down moments, but there is enough fun. BRADIO is a group best as one song in a playlist however. They make killer singles. YES is shorter, to it's benefit. "LA PA PARADISE" is easily the best song, I love the groove and instrumentation as well as the vocals and smooth bassline. BRADIO is always good for funky J-Pop jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1pwM4VcGM 

WANIMA, Are Your Coming? 

Hard hitting J-Rock with fast tempos and high energy. It's decent, melodically sound songs with catchiness and attitude. It's in line with this kind of J-Rock, often I go for girl singers, but this works for a different more aggressive vibe. It's not bad, not something worth re-listening but a good high powered listen. The drummer is a mad lad on these tracks, the whole thing is constant slamming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRaHgQ3yjAo 

The Smithereens, Especially For You 

A decent 80's indie rock type album. It's very poppy and tuneful with jangle elements. It's not my favorite kind of jangle, in fact the guitars are kind of boring. The vocals are good, especially on "In A Lonely Place". I'm pretty indifferent to this kind of music, while it's enjoyable it never reaches the level of becoming anything really good. This album is kind of whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdI-l5aTEaM 

Also listening to the Clashs' debut again, it's really not that good. Give 'Em Enough Rope is so much better in every sense, especially production and tones.

I need to start listening to power metal or something way different, I feel like I've found all the good jangle, post punk and punk music for myself to go mad about. Now this new to me stuff is becoming very boring. I love what I've already gotten into, but finding other stuff is difficult now. J-Pop is ever giving, it never ends. Sometimes I get sick of the ani-stuff, but there is still much to explore like the 80's synth stuff and city pop which I have not gotten into yet. Rock Island showed me new indie can still be good sometimes. I outta look at new stuff more, and well now that Fall is coming it will be metal season anyway. I need some refreshing full on Power Metal, corny stuff about dragons and all.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:01:54 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: September 09, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »
Making a magic Smiths tape on a 60 minute. The Smiths Quick II. The first one I made is a tape I always listen to, so I made another one.

I Want The One I Can't Have
Nowhere Fast
Hand In Glove (Album Ver.)
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
You've Got Everything Now (Hatful Ver.)
Rusholme Ruffians
William, It Was Really Nothing
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle

London
What She Said
Bigmouth Strikes Again
You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby
Accept Yourself
Girl Afraid
Shakespeare's Sister
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Half A Person
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want 

I made a BAND-MAID tape yesterday. Gotta say the band has really snuck up on me. I love them, they take all that's great about Hard Rock/Metal and combine it with melodic J-Rock sensibilities. Saiki is a deadly vocalist and the melodies are so great. The riffs are cool as hell and...they're just the best straight rock band I've heard in a forever. World Domination may end up as my top album of the year, it's really just packed with killer songs. "anemone" shows the band are fantastic at slower tunes as well, Miku is a very impressive composer. The songs follow similar paths but there are some stand out tricks and cool bits that keep things interesting. "Dice" is crazy, all the little changes. It's true what they say, Rock n' Roll never died, it just moved to Japan. BAND-MAID is really fricking good.

I found BAND-MAID in 2015 and I thought they where fine but not outstanding yet, and I liked their previous album, but World Domination really did it for me. I love their visual as well, cool gothic maids, you gotta have a good image to really stick as a band for me, and combine it with excellent tunes. This is where J stuff really nails it. Image matters in music. It's not everything but all the best bands for me have a visual stick to them. Even Bruce though he keeps it simple has that powerful image of the guy who looks like his lyrics sounds with his beat up Tele. Some J stuff gets too gimmicky, but a group like BAND-MAID shows how to combine awesome music with catchy and unique visuals. 

I am very lost musically, my music is completely dead in it's tracks at the moment, I haven't even come up with a start for a new song in 2 weeks or so. I don't know what I can do but I know what I want to do. I want to make a Hard Rock album with jangle guitars and Yui style melodies. But it's hard to come up with a good rock riff without making it so dead simple I don't even bother. I don't know how to even compose good melodies, I want badly to make music like Yui but man that's not something you can suddenly just do. So I keep going on. I want Nirvana out of my music, I like punk of course but there are elements of negative energy I don't want in my stuff. I want to make an awesome guitar album.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:58:18 PM by Manimal »