October 16, 2018, 02:27:55 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 269061 times)

Offline Spooky Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • We're The Dream Warriors
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4860 on: May 07, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »
Got some new records today, great finds. A lot of Beach Boys in fair shape. I passed up on some to save money...Buddy Holly's self titled, a great find but it wasn't in great shape. Plus I have all I need from Buddy on record with one of the compilations. I buy to listen not so much collect in that regard. An original of Highway 61...eh someone else who doesn't have a copy can get that one. The Kinks Lola Part One! Rare but bad shape.

The Beach Boys, Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) 

The last of the early traditional Beach Boy albums, with the surfing, cars, girls, music and California themes in full form. The Wrecking Crew is present, seen in the rather fantastic arrangements. With that great rhythm and fullness to the songs. "California Girls" is the album's classic, and a truly amazing single with it's illegally catchy chorus and simple lyrics that paint a campy and fun summer image. The composition as well is remarkable. The rest of the album is good, with a greatness bubbling. It really shows the road to Pet Sounds, the instrumentation is so good with a lot of cool bits. Especially guitar tones and background sax. "Let Him Run Wild" is a highlight, a standout in every regard. This is a very worthwhile album that shouldn't be ignored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WutAN1fq4bU

The Beach Boys, Smiley Smile   

The greatest tragedy of 60's recorded music is that we'll never know what truly could've come from Smile as a completed work. Instead we have this muffled lo-fi rush job, which has all the charm, twists and sheer creativity you'd want, without the sound and power. Smiley Smile is a weird basement record with a lot of crafty and cool bits, but nothing more then unpolished gems that where never allowed to shine. "Good Vibrations" is present which sharply contrasts the rest of the record. It feels so out of place, a single with insane amounts of work among rush jobs. "Vegetables" is fun for the lyrics and sound effects, "She Goes Bald" has a twist spoken word bit, "Little Pad" is simply odd. "Wind Chimes" is almost like a failed attempt at remaking "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)".

There may not be a timeline where a fully realized Smile could exist, and I don't think it would've been better then Pet Sounds anyway. Given how meaningless and goofy some of the lyrics are. Smiley Smile is no way to judge this, it's just a novelty with "Good Vibrations" and a muddy recording of "Heroes And Villains" tacked on. The band didn't even bother touching "Surf's Up" yet. You hear good things happening, but it's a sad end to something that was not allowed to grow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gu-hzfhv10       

The Beach Boys, Wild Honey 

Recorded and released mere months after Smiley Smile, this album is dramatically different, like a weight had been lifted off, resulting in rather upbeat and sunny music. It's surprisingly black for a Beach Boys album, with a real R&B sound in the vocals, which are grittier and dig deeper. It's primarily made with band action, the songs don't have tons going on, but the keyboard sounds are cool with a lot of neat tones such as the sounds on the title track. It's an easygoing album and rather short at just 23 minutes. Instead of trying to make an ambitious masterpiece, Wild Honey just sounds like Brian Wilson relaxing his music muscles, while still trying to make a consistent record. There are still cool changes in the music, and the Motown tint gives it a unique feel. It's a neat album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhB2uETzP0

Bob Dylan, New Morning 

It would be a little too sweeping to claim Bobby never made anything worthwhile after Blonde On Blonde, certainly he was not the same cool guy with the shades, black clothes & wild Jewfro, and the attitude in his music became much less interesting, but an album like 1970's New Morning shows he still had some good things going. It's really quite simple, a solid band backs Bob doing the folk rock, country thing. The songs are very effective and sound good, with a light sound. Variety in tone with some cool twists like the jazzy "If Dogs Run Free" and upbeat title track. George Harrison did a much better version of "If Not For You", but this one is good for something fast and loose. Ditching his strange tone on Nashville Skyline, Bobby sounds good. This album actually has life and fun to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33gxrvkjMg     
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:29:49 PM by Manimal »

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: May 08, 2018, 08:29:31 PM »
Some more records today, cool stuff for sure. Always nice to get new old stuff as the hunt has died down in recent times.

R.E.M., Murmur   

I have a deep seeded dislike for Michael Stipe and his disgusting face with his douche bag expression and complete cock aura. He pisses me off so much I can't even bare to look at his stupid bald head. I feel the same about Bono, which is why I swore to never listen to R.E.M. and U2. However I would be foolish to pass up on a near mint copy of Murmur for cheap, so I got the record. I've never seen any R.E.M. album on record, this kind of stuff hardly ever pops up around here. Naturally, like many things, something I've convinced myself I don't like has turned out to be good. It's enjoyable with good jangle and melodic songwriting. "Laughing" is when I knew it was going to be good, and sure enough it proved to be solid all the way, especially songs like "Shaking Through" that break out the piano. The vocal lines and steady drums/bass seem to drive the songs, the guitar parts have good tone but don't play anything overly remarkable. The tone is consistent and as a whole, it's fine. I don't need to hear any of their other albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz7u-9ZHOgE     

Santana, Abraxas

Spicy, this jamming Latin Rock jam record is full of cool things. Much is instrumental with the percussion and guitar action leading the way. It's not a soloing blow out, rather it just gets into these cool ass grooves, with only a couple of actually songs, most famous my least favorite song in Guitar Hero III "Black Magic Woman", which actually sounds great here. It has a great slow beginning, with a lot of mystery right away. This is a really cool album that could only come from the early 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xskk5q1DL6A     

The Beach Boys, All Summer Long 

The big beach blow out, a very fun album full of sunny songs. We got "I Get Around" with some great harmonies and a cool verse groove. "Girls On The Beach" is an early masterpiece, the group vocals and supreme summer feeling! and plenty great tunes like "Little Honda" and "Wendy". It's a very fun album, cheesy at times like the early albums tend to be. "Drive-In" being so insanely corny you have to love it for that good ol' innocent Happy Days style charm. I still haven't heard the first 5 albums, but it'd be safe to say this is the first album with great songs from the band, very enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbfl24DhU1w

The Beach Boys, Today!   

The first album to really use the Wrecking Crew, Today! sees the band going beyond the same old themes. It has it's share of cheese like "When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)" with it's counting backing vocals, but there are some good tracks on here, and it sees Brian Wilson starting to go hard on the arrangements. Side 1 is the fun, but "Do You Wanna Dance?" can only be done by the Ramones, and any other version is simply too slow. Side 2 sees the slower songs where things turn good, like "Please Let Me Wonder" and "She Knows Me Too Well". Brian Wilson probably has the best falsetto I've ever heard, it's a magical tone that is distinctly and totally his own. This album is a good start to the wild days ahead, fine listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_hPqnxaYYI
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:32:07 PM by Manimal »

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: May 10, 2018, 04:54:38 PM »
The Millennium, Begin

Wow, talk about a lost gem. This record nearly sounds like a throwback to late 60's rock n' pop recorded in the 90's or beyond. Begin sounds advanced for it's time in terms of recording, it's a varied record with elements of psychedelia, sunny pop, country, rock n' roll & others, mixed together and changing around song by song. It's exciting, with something different to offer as it goes along it's 14 song tracklist. Far more interesting then heavily dated records like Forever Changes and Odyssey & Oracle. I was quite surprised by the album, can't believe I've never heard of it until now. Of all the non Pet Sounds or Beatles releases of the late 60's, Begin has grabbed like where others haven't (ya I'm mad about Pet Sounds again, I mean I never wasn't since I heard it but fricking hell, there is not a single album from the 60's even half as good as it). It sounds of it's time, but the variety makes it less dated. I really like "It's You", "The Know It All", "Karmic Dream Sequence #1" which has an authentic koto performance, and "It Won't Always Be The Same". Quite a good album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyHXmkeuJC0 

The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society

A bland, fairly standard British slight psychedelia late 60's rock pop album. This record gives me little, it doesn't sound bad and certainly it's well written, but I'm not taken by anything here. The styling is standard of it's time, with the acoustic, strings and so on, led by subpar vocals. Only sometimes like on "People Take Pictures of Each Other" do the lyrics spark my interest. That is actually a clever song that works very well in today's world. I don't know, the Kinks just don't do it for me all that much. Out of the context of the time I find this record to be unexciting, and not worth relistening. I was left feeling nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwqiqsfoZw   

Jenni Vartiainen, Seili   

Suomi pop, kind of a mid tempo album with electro elements and some big dynamics and build ups. There are cool bits throughout, and good sounds. It is just long enough, as the whole thing is of a fairly similar tone. Jenni's singing is good, and Finnish is one of the magic musical languages along with Spanish and Japanese. This is a nice sounding album, I enjoyed it. Nothing outstanding but a good thing to put on. I do like some of the big payoffs and at times random instruments. Maybe a little too much on the ballad side, the album is best when it's pumping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WrHOy1J84     

Hüsker Dü, New Day Rising 

A hella fuzzed out and intense guitar playing for 40 minutes with band accompaniment, is what this album starts like, and certainly what a lot of it feels like, but there is quite a lot going on here. A fierce album with intense energy and passion, but also good melodies and clever song craft. The guitar power is insane, a disturbingly badass tone that rips the speakers apart, and heavy drumming to match. The vocals, feh, most of the time you have no clue what's going on and it's awesome. Though there are clear moments like the epic tale of a girl, her books, and her oranges on "Books About UFOs", one of the best songs. I love the parts when it gets soft, and slows down from the pounding. Or when it introduces something new like suddenly piano or acoustics. New Day Rising has far more to offer then one trick or one sound, it varies enough and has a great power throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxRwgEN4zU   

OOHYO, Adventure 

A nice sounding synth pop album with those chill elements. It's different from other albums of the kind, given it's drum sound and more low key instrumentation along with OOHYO's melancholic and sweet voice. It's a Korean and English album, with far more then a couple poorly pronounced phrases. I quite enjoyed this album, it has variety and sounds nice. I like the guitar tracks, and the English lyrics which work well. It creates a good tone and keeps things interesting enough. Highlights are "Goodbye" and "UTO".

https://oohyo.bandcamp.com/track/goodbye
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:37:13 PM by Manimal »

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: May 10, 2018, 11:45:20 PM »
I would choose Begin over any Kinks album any day, but I do like The Kinks. They are pretty standard, but they had better songwriting than a lot of their peers.

Of late I have listened to a lot of Henry Cow. Simultaneously one of the most complex and one of the most enjoyable "Rock-in-Opposition" groups. Sometimes they are heavily composed and contrapuntal, sometimes they improvise into the stratosphere. Often dissonant, often railing against capitalism, always with a sock on the album cover.

Legend is their most Canturbury Scene influenced album, with the fuzzy organs and jazzy chords and very English sax playing. However, this band is far leftfield of even The Soft Machine. Unrest has some of their most beautiful music paired with some of their strangest and most challenging. The first side is more accessible overall, but has the Bartok-inspired "Ruins" which is one of their most somber pieces. The latter half is almost like The Residents (Fred Frith, the guitarist, plays on some Residents records). Desperate Straights is their collaboration with art pop band Slapp Happy. Not their greatest moment, though still good, and perhaps their most accessible. In Praise of Learning is their most angry and mercurial with distorted guitars and dissonant riffs (can you call them riffs?). "Living in the Heart of the Beast" is their most intense track, clocking in at 15-minutes, every minute carefully composed. In contrast, closer "Morning Star" is complete free improvisation. Atonal, chaotic, yet playful. Western Culture is probably their most composed album and often considered their best. It sounds the least like a rock album, although Frith's guitar work is present as ever. It and Legend are probably  the best starting points for those new to the Cow.

Anyway, some of the best, strangest rock of the 70s, if you can call it that.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: May 11, 2018, 10:32:44 PM »
Went from hardstyle to rawstyle lately, also kinda been into the chillstep. Can't get into the lo-fi hip-hop stuff though. My music tastes are all over the place, as usual.

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: May 13, 2018, 07:33:51 PM »
Boris, Pink

The Pickle Man knows. What band makes sounds as badass as Boris? No one, this album is amazing. Jesus. The pure fury, the fuzzed out madness, the smashing, the crashing, it gets my blood going. It's insane, I love it. The thing is, Boris is fun. The music just has this quality of life, and nothing else. It's living music, it's just this feeling. The sound just takes over everything, songs like the 18 minute finale "Just Abandoned Myself" take no time for dynamics, it's just loud and amazing. It goes on and on but the guitars never stop. This is music to just sit in the middle of and explode the speakers to. and with the melodic edge this album is perfect. It has a more fierce and full sound then Akuma no Uta (but still as badass). Stuff's good.

Melt Banana, Fetch 

Hell, ya. An awesome album with all the craziness, but in a refined kind of manner. The style here is wild and very satisfying. The band's sound is just madness, but it seems organized, the songs breaking into various sections quickly, with some very cool riffs and parts. The drums make things tense in the verses with the slamming beats. Yasuko's super high vocals just work with the sound of everything, it's a perfect match as she yells along. I don't know if she is saying real words or not. This album is just so cool.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: May 16, 2018, 02:13:30 AM »

Manimal, dude seriously, thanks for posting all this music. I haven't responded every time you've posted the tunes you've been listening to but I check this thread regularly for stuff you post because they've all been great additions to my music library. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this stuff.

Music is like fuel for my art, I burn through it quickly and constantly need more so I just wanted to pop in and say thanks!

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: May 16, 2018, 08:09:46 PM »
and thanks for the comment! As seen I naturally love to post about the music I listen to, and albums as I experience them. Cool that you're checking that stuff out also! Like, hey, another playlist is pumping.

Mika Nakashima : My Sugar Cat
Redbone : Come And Get Your Love
Boris : Woman On The Screen
BABYMETAL : Distortion
BiSH : GiANT KiLLERS
OOHYO : Goodbye
Neon Bunny : All I Want Is You
DAOKO : Samishii Kamisama
miwa : Drive Song
YESEO : Night Night
Kero Kero Bonito : Time Today
Palm : Composite
The Stone Roses : Don't Stop
Neil Young : See The Sky About To Rain
BAND-MAID : anemone
The Beach Boys : Let Him Run Wild
The Millennium : It's You
The Clash : Stay Free 
The Replacements : Valentine
Husker Du : Celebrated Summer   

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: May 17, 2018, 07:41:33 PM »
The Beach Boys, Smile Session 

As in the boxset version where it pieces together what the album could've been. We can never really know what the album would've been, but if this is an indicator it seems to me like the most ambitious and creative album recorded in it's time, but not very satisfying or grabbing. In fact I'd only it has 4 songs even worth noting. I've listened two times, and it's still hard to comment. The intent is clear, to push even further and do something completely unlike what anyone else was doing. But everything that "Good Vibrations" is, the rest of the album is not. My emotions when listening are literally blank, only a couple things make me go "oh!". "Heroes And Villains" is crafty, especially in the way the following songs build off it. The tune is so good but the mash up of instruments in the intro is muddy and, frankly, awful sounding. "Surf's Up" is amazing, and the video of Brian playing it on the piano is one of my favorite musical clips. But throughout the album I often hear no connection with the lyrics and him. 

Lines like "the music hall a costly bow" are actually ridiculously amazing, but on "Surf's Up" the amazing tune does not match to the lyrics. Mike Love's simple words on "Good Vibrations" are amazing because of how vivid a image they paint and how you remember each line, they are all gold and catchy. But the rest of the album is, technically highly impressive, but it just seems so off. I know this is the point, but it makes the tracks fail to connect with me. When "Good Vibrations" breaks in on the end it's a relief, #1 because it's the best single of the entire decade, and #2 because it has that wild spark of madman brilliance, but in a finer form. In reality, the song has no place on the record, it's really just it's own thing. and man fricking hell, this song. It's just, GOOD! GOOD! GOOD!

I like "The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow)" because it's an actual vivid emotion and like...what the hell. "Vega-Tables" is also quite good because of the catchiness and effective lyrics. The rest of the album is neat, but it just doesn't do anything for me. It's not because it's "weird" or not like Pet Sounds, it's an admirable piece of work, but still an incomplete record that maybe...was better off being a mythical legend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZjIdyWu-U

Also I listened to The Who's Tommy today and it was so boring, overly long, one trick and unexciting that it's not even worth writing about.

• View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: May 17, 2018, 08:40:21 PM »
You may be interested in Brian Wilson's and Van Dyke Park's reconstruction of Smile from 2004.

I like Tommy quite a bit musically, minus a couple of cuts, but it is overlong and the lyrics are awful and uncomfortable in stretches. I find it less inconsistent than Quadrophenia, though Quadrophenia has the advantage of sounding amazing and having some of the band's best material. Who's Next is clearly the best, though.

Since you seem to be in a 60s pop/rock phase right now, check out:
Scott Walker - Scott 3 and Scott 4
Can - Monster Movie (though not before checking out their 70s material)
Arzachel - Arzachel
Gal Costa - Gal Costa and Gal
Milton Nascimento - Courage
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief
Red Krayola - Parable of Arable Land
Silver Apples - Silver Apples

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: May 17, 2018, 09:04:28 PM »
Ya I'll check that out to. I've been listening to all the takes of "Good Vibrations" from the Smile Set for the last hour. Listening to demos has never felt as satisfying as this. Even as one of 90 hours, you hear so much change, and I love hearing Brian produce and speak to the musicians. Tommy has good guitars and composition for sure, but in a way it felt like Pete Townshend playing awesome rhythm guitar for 75 minutes and then some other stuff is thrown on top. and ya songs like "Cousin Kevin" are simply...unnecessary. It will be a bit before I feel like listening to Quadrophenia...but it's only 5 minutes longer...No beating Who's Next indeed.

Certainly this phase is back, all stuff to check out for sure. I hadn't listened to Pet Sounds for nearly all of 2017, and when I finally put it on again after marathoning the Beats discography last month it all came back to me. Good to, I needed that re-spirit in my music. and yes I've been putting off Can for a while now.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:09:49 PM by Manimal »

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: May 23, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »
Added Smile Sessions to my collection. Nice packaging, 2 records with booklet and very handy lyric sheet. I listened to Brian Wilson Present's Smile last week also, and it made things a little more clear. Although the album was merely recording based on the grind and hard work of something old, so it was a pale imitation at points, but Brian sounded good for his age then. Once more the album feels like it's missing about a record side of music, side 2 which is Wonderful to Surf's Up is an amazing movement, truly the centerpiece of the record. The Elements feel like it could've been amazing with another addition or two, "Love To Say Dada" is noteworthy. The idea of Smile as a double record with each side being a different suite is cool, which is almost how it works. The lyrics make more sense now also when you see what the concept is. and yes, every single word is perfectly phrased in Surf's Up, it's really something special that song.

The Clash, Sandinista! 

I hate the band for making an album this long. I've come to like London Calling even more this year, when I'm in the right mood it's an awesome morning record as with Hatful Of Hollow, every song sounds good in place and it's just fun to listen to with a real life and power, with some ridiculously amazing tracks here and there. So what did they do next? Everything. Sandinista! runs way longer than any album of it's kind should, at 2 and a half hours, and it sure wastes time. Having two versions of one song on an album is dumb if done more than once, never mind "One Last Time" having it's dub instrumental directly after the original. Side 6 is all but useless, it's just bonus tracks at that point. "Lose This Skin" is a fine song but is written and sang by some random. "Mensforth Hill" is just a reverse track of an album highlight with random sounds. It's a shame this album has so much wasted time when it holds so many good songs. I didn't bother with the last 5 songs, waste of time.

"The Magnificent Seven" is remarkable with the rap verses and funk groove. "Ivan Meets GI Joe" is insane, with it's sci-fi sound effects playing throughout the whole track. "Something About England" has such a tune, a unique style with great back and forth from Mick and Joe, acting as different characters talking. The composition is so cool. "Somebody Got Murdered" along with Mick's soft vocal on the rocking backing is eerie. As normal Mick sings most of the best songs,  like "Up In Heaven (Not Only Here)". The reggae tracks are even more present than before, and with a finer style, especially in the drums. "If Music Could Talk" is just Joe rambling two different rants in both channels over a sax solo, energetic drums and light backing. "Let's Go Crazy" is great. Now, I don't listen to the Clash...or any ban. Also "Washington Bullets" has a smart commentary in it's verses.

This album does not warrant a full listen for me. It wastes far too much time with petty nonsense, when it could've been a great double album. At it's best it's adventurous and goes all over, combining things and coming up with some cool sounds. The band tries to make every song different and unique, it goes off very well at times. But there was not enough to fill 3 records, thankfully I didn't waste money on this one first. I have no place for a 2.5 hour album, especially if it's this. It sucks to because it has a lot of good stuff and a good attitude. It's a good album that hides under too much fat. I only bothered listening to (most) of it to see if there would be another Lost In The Supermarket or Card Cheat hiding. Not enough work went into these songs for something on that level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHupeh7dFkE
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:55:55 PM by Manimal »

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: May 26, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »
The Smiths, Louder Than Bombs 

Part 2 of Hatful Of Hollow, just with too many tracks, and many repeats like "Girl Afraid" and "William, It Was Really Nothing". Without the repeat songs, and infer single version of "Hand In Glove" that lacks the fades and energy, it's about 15 tracks of later Smiths goodness. The band certainly was a singles/b-sides group that happened to make just one really great studio record. We have some of the band's best songs here. "Ask" is a top 5 track, with great sunny melodies, perfect lyrics and many fine touches like the harmonica used as a rhythm track. "Panic" is one of the poppier songs, illegally catchy and featuring one of Morrisey's best lines "could life ever be sane again?". "Stretch Out And Wait" is wonderful and "Asleep" is a masterpiece. I really like "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" and "Sweet and Tender Hooligan" is the band's hardest rocking track.

Johnny Marr tries different things, he peaked early, but in every case he plays different things that work for the track. "Oscillate Wildly" is a choice instrumental. His compositions started becoming boring by Strangeways, and even on this album tracks like "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" are purely Morrisey led. Speaking of which, "Unloveable" is his most emo moment, I don't really like that one, although the instrumental is awesome it has lines way too angsty like "I wear black on the outside, 'cause black is how I feel on the inside". Like But this album shows how the band tried to go beyond the jangly tracks. On the repeat songs from Hatful of Hollow we have some good choices like "The Night Has Opened My Eyes" and "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". I just wish the record omitted them for a nice 15 song list, because they work much better on Hatful, which comes together nice as a whole.

Still I've been all about the Smiths recently. They just did so much great stuff in such a short time, and all of it much better to me than any band of their time, hell anytime ever, who did something similar. It's all that magic Morrisey/Marr team, it needs to be both, it can't just be one of them. I like the singles approach to the band's stuff also, it makes it better to listen to song after song, espeically in my car with my great mixtape that keeps on spinning...gotta rewind and wait like 2 minutes just to hear "The Headmaster Ritual" when it's go time. The way it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoo9Vu1a9bU 

Top 10 Smiths Songs...

Spoiler
1. Still Ill
2. The Headmaster Ritual
3. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
4. Ask
5. Handsome Devil
6. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
7. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
8. This Charming Man
9. Reel Around The Fountain
10. Cemetry Gates

Also I added Linkin Park's Minutes To Midnight to my collection finally, so now I have the trilogy. It's just an odd kind of record, the first two albums are just fantastic and have perfect flow and pacing, Hybrid Theory keeps things going song by song and still sounds exciting and full of life and energy today. But Minutes To Midnight works on the, rock song, slow song, rock song, slow song, type pace which doesn't go over too well. But like, every single song, not so much "In Between", but everything else is fantastic it's full of variety, with unique elements to every one. It's made so the tracks on side 1 all sequence into each other, but they are just too different, and Rick Rubin is a plain bad producer. Simply put. "What I've Done" and "Hands Held High" are super dated in 2007 for me, so it's hard to separate them from my sentiment. It doesn't feel as satisfying a listen as the other two, but it's still worth buying the record and listening to when the mood strikes.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:48:09 AM by Manimal »

• View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: May 26, 2018, 11:01:13 AM »
Heh. In my opinion, Minutes to Midnight is good because of Rick Rubin. He's got some weak records in his discography and some practices that I think aren't entirely great, but Minutes to Midnight and The Mars Volta's Deloused in the Comatorium are examples of records where he was the right guy for the job. I like the pacing of MtM too.