March 29, 2024, 02:36:45 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 770956 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4815 on: March 17, 2018, 10:06:45 PM »
On St. Pat's Day and the day after St. Urho's Day I have the Guinness, I have the Salmiakki chocolate and albums by ethnic Irish, English musicians. I've been reading a book called Irish Blood, English Heart focused on Kevin Rowland, Shane MacGowan and Morrissey + Johnny Marr in regards to their Irish blood and how it reflects on their persona and music in the English cultural scene of the 80's. Sounds boring but it's not bad, but the glossary is actually half the length.

Morrissey, Vauxhall and I

This album kind of sounds like a music video on early morning TV in the early 2000's with VCR quality and 9-10 AM shots of New York. One of my favorite aesthetics of all time. Morrissey's 4th album is a nice sounding production, with bright instrumentation, a clear sound and a fair set of tunes. Not to bring this up again, but the thing I found missing in his solo music is the second song. In the Smiths there was two tunes between the vocals and guitar, but in Morrissey's solo music the instrumentation is more so a texture for the singing and lyrics. The acoustics, strings and all sound great here, it just sets the mood and never oversteps. The tone is just like sunrise, with a vivid feeling on tracks like "Used to Be a Sweet Boy". It's a consistent record, and overall better song for song than the previous release Your Arsenal, even if it lacks a song as good as "The National Front Disco". Overall I enjoy the album, the sound is nice, it's a fairly calm album as a whole, not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVZjEyB5ChA 

Dexys Midnight Runner, Searching For The Young Soul Rebels

Hell, I didn't think this was going to be this good an album from reading the chapter in Irish Blood, English Heart. Searching For The Young Soul Rebels is a blast, a fast paced and urgent album with a lot of energy and fire. The horns are great, and every track they provide an interesting sound. The bass is great, and the music just moves. It has a great sound, with fine song craft. Kevin Rowland is an interesting vocalist with lots of personality. "Tell Me When My Light Turns Green" is a jam, really liked that one, and pretty well every song on the record. Sometimes the vocals are too whiny for me, but as a whole this was an unexpectedly awesome album. I need it in my collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc     

The Pogues, Red Roses For Me   

Oh, so the tooth missing guy is the singer in this band. "Transmetropolitan" is an amazing open, a fast paced drunken jam with banjos on fire. The opening sequence is odd, with an instrumental and very slow song following. But once things settle you find a great Celtic Punk album, with all the traditional Irish instrumentation and feel with a drunk brawling attitude. It sounds like a green sunny field in a fantasy land, where you stumble to an ol' wooden pub and drink out of wooden glasses, and brawl with gingers and get the black plague or something. There is a lot of class and taste to the sound actually, I love the flutes, banjos and Celtic instrumentation, especially how it contrasts with the vocals, which are not that outrageous. The album has it's moments, it's not amazing as a whole and you kind of get the point by the middle. Still a cool stylistic mix-up that the band might of originated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxv0t7lVKgM     

The Clash, Give Em Enough Rope 

Out of the ethnic Irish streak to general British. The Clash's second album is a pretty awesome set of rock songs. With an awesome guitar sound, well crafted song full of punk energy but the same craftsmanship present on London Calling, just less refined. I need to say it again, the guitar sound is deadly on this record, it sounds so rad and pops through the mix with a mighty tone, oh my God I love that tone. So many great songs like "Safe European Home", "Drug-Stabbing Time",  "Stay Free" and "Guns On The Roof". Lots of rock n' roll riffing, and the vocals are full of passion. There are some twists and different kinds of songs, but when this thing rocks...it rocks. The drums are so great also! I love the rhythm, especially on tracks like "Stay Free" where the simple riff locks right in with the drums "do do" "crash" "do do" "crash". The bass just goes off at times as well. This is just an awesome rock n' roll album, really like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56YW42FMqek
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:15:39 PM by Manimal »

Offline Vio

• Listed in the MR blacklist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: March 19, 2018, 07:05:16 PM »
It Has To Be Ambiguous - Kill la Kill vs. Metal Gear Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVI7S6zKiBM

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: March 19, 2018, 08:16:36 PM »
The Millennium - Begin (psychedelic pop on par with, or nearly, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Zombies etc. )

The Who - Quadrophenia (Some career bests diluted with some tracks that sound like Townshend on autopilot, but with the best sounding production they ever had.)

Kahimi Karie - Nunki (Delicate and heavenly ambient pop influenced by the shibuya kei and onkyo scenes)

Oneida - Each One Teach One (repetitive and krautrock-influenced; generally consistent but sounds like a lesser version of Boredoms' Vision Creation Newsun)

Einstürzende Neubauten - 1/2 Mensch (brilliantly unsettling early industrial)

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: March 20, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »
Added The Clash's Give 'Em Some Rope and Magazine's Real Life to my record collection.

After two more listens I gotta say Give 'Em Some Rope is an amazing record. Way better then London Calling, it rocks like hell and has the perfect blend of catchy song writing and rock n' roll energy. I love how the band went for catchy melodies, I have not been able to get "Drug-Stabbing Time" out of my head, the backing vocals give it a perfect touch and it's just mad catchy. When it bursts in with that riff it's fury. The guitar interplay is perfect, especially the riffs on "All The Young Punks". I like punk music to have this kind of melody but also raw energy, it's the edge UK punk has over US I think. As good as the aggression of Hardcore and other US punk is, I don't find it as enjoyable to listen to over and over. My main philosophy is if I don't want to listen to it in the car then it won't be a favorite or classic to me.

As for Real Life, I think it's an enjoyable record. While it can't quite live up to "Definitive Gaze" and "Shot From Both Sides" for the whole length there is enough to keep it interesting. The keyboards and bass grooves give it a unique feel. The album cover is very fitting, it feels like that weirdo art. Indeed it's more of a spook time record, but it's a fine addition.

Now that I've finally given Hounds of Love two good listens I can say wow as well. While I've enjoyed the tracks since I first heard it, I was really just waiting to get the record to listen to it all again. and ya, it's a crazy good record. The first side is straight up perfection for it's genre, every track stands out as it's own cool thing. With all the sounds, from the neat guitar riffs and fretless bass. Side 2 is interesting for how it changes the mood. "RED RED ROSES". I love how "Hello Earth" (I think it's this one) recalls elements from side 1, like the melody of "Running Up That Hill". and "The Morning Fog" is a perfect closer. Love that melody in the intro. This is an album to listen to many times! 

Just like with The Queen Is Dead, I've listened to the songs so many times and the album a few, but now having the record I have finally actually heard the album. Of course I still love it and the Smiths, my only issue with the album is the flow of side 1. "I Know It's Over" is great but "Never Had No One Ever" is a bit of a dull song that goes on for far too long and slows down the album for a bit until the amazing "Cemetery Gates" which is maybe my favorite Smiths song, if not tied with "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others". The acoustics are wonderful, to contrast with the lyrics which go from hanging out around tombstones to preaching about stealing poetry because Morrissey. I think no one of the era can compare with him in terms of lyric writing and vocals, all other bands of the type lack that kind of personality, Morrissey is such an interest as an artist. The Smiths are still a band I want to go to and listen to lots. I've not wanted to listen to Sonic Youth in a while for comparison, there is just a quality with some artists. Same reason I don't often listen to my top 10 albums or even a lot of my favorite artists. They burn bright for so long then it's just an era that ended.

Offline Vio

• View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: March 20, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »
Overlord Pure Pure Pleiades ED - 8bits Dance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf4ADCsaA38

I got to figure out how to make the video into a animated desktop background. :hmm:

Offline Vio

• View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: March 21, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
Attack on Titan Season 2 OST 03 - YouSeeBIGGIRL/T:T (Reiner Berthold Transformation Theme)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Um6okMHcE

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: March 21, 2018, 04:30:57 PM »
The Clash, Combat Rock 

A New Wave to signal the end of the band's career, featuring their two biggest hits and some great misses. Following the direction of London Calling, there is less punk and less rock, in favor of strange sounds, and different styles. There is some funk, and a lot of unique tracks like "Straight To Hell" and "Sean Flynn", the latter being a total oddball with rain forest sounds, sax and distant guitar. "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" is naturally their best known song, Guitar Hero III ya'll, and even though it's the one you hear on the radio, in the bowling alley, in the grocery store etc. it's still a great rock song. I didn't realize Mick Jones sang it and other songs like "Stay Free" and "Train In Vain". "Rock The Casbah" is a great New Wave type hit. There is less pop on the album though, with a lot of messing about. The results are not unlistenable or unenjoyable, but they aren't great either. It's clear the band was done. This album is kind of...stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9r8LMU9bQ   

Dexys Midnight Runner, Too-Rye-Ay   

The book describes Kevin Rowland as pushing "the Irish thing" on this album, but really Too-Rye-Ay is just another great Soulful pop album with some hints of heritage and Celtic instrumentation, stronger on some songs than others. It's similar to the first album but with a bit of a difference approach, it's a well made set of tracks with very enjoyable sounds. Lots of different instruments that all work well. Kevin Rowland's singing is better than the first album also. I quite like this album! All the songs are good. The big hit "Come On Eileen" is in fact the best song, with a fast pace, great violins, bass and feel. But it's hardly the only noteworthy song, for this album is full of them! Just as good as their first album, maybe even better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0KPlYYycY           

The Kinks, Kinda Kinks 

A short and quick set of tunes, and a good one to. With some bluesy songs and good 60's rock n' roll, every song is to the point and there are many highlights. I like the drumming and trashy rhythm guitar, it sounds like an album of it's time but the vocals and song writing are quite good. I've not been overly taken by the band, but this album is quite enjoyable. There is a cover of "Dancing In The Street", which Van Halen also did, on the same album that opens with a Kinks cover...ah ah. It's quite a rocking version here, not a bad album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL_fszYdnX0             

Offline Vio

• View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: March 22, 2018, 07:37:48 AM »
Akame Ga Kill! - Le chant de Roma [???????- OST]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igKXRrb5_ts

Offline NishimuraTaira

• View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: March 22, 2018, 10:04:13 AM »
Charlotte Ending - Yake ochi nai tsubasa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MsuXjTlCGE

This song has quite an effect on my motivation to get something done.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 03:08:11 PM by PhoenixGC »

Offline NishimuraTaira

• View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: March 22, 2018, 02:56:05 PM »
No pain, No game / Nano (Btooom! OP)

This one has been stuck in my head all day for weeks now.  Also, we gotta get japanese characters on this forum so we can copy that stuff xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig9U4I9X2g0&index=21&list=RD4OdfbA7Ofcs

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: March 24, 2018, 10:06:51 PM »
Revisting The Smith's debut

Basically I feel the same, good songs bad recordings. "Reel Around The Fountain" is one of the band's best songs, but it's just not here in this version. The extra instrumentation over this album is often unnecessary and does very little, "You've Got Everything Now" has a good dynamic pick-up on here. "Miserable Lies" is the band's worst song I can think of, the fast pick-up is cool but nothing else is good about this song, least of all the falsetto screaming. "This Charming Man" is not as effective played fast although it's tight as hell on here, this is just the dance hall version, not bad but I can never quite hear the knives on Tele thing. "Still Ill" is an epic, but the drums deface it here. There's are no dynamics when it switches to the ride cymbal. The drums drain every ounce of emotion from some songs, it makes everything sound plastic. It's enough to ruin the entire record, as it does.

The production is just not good on this album, nor the overall sound. The bass is not bass enough, the guitars are just there and Morrissey's vocal technique was not quite down yet. Just compare the delivery on "Reel Around The Fountain", it's day and night. He sounds way off on some tracks. To go back to Hatful Of Hollow, all the songs sound and are done great there. The John Peel sessions are far superior in every single case, this is a demo album. When you look there are many awesome songs here, you have club version of "This Charming Man" and a few other tracks like "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle", "Suffer Little Children" and "I Don't Owe You Anything". Maybe if there weren't superior versions of most of the songs it'd be a decent album, but it's just halfway good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-zZ-dDFDmc

Dexys Midnight Runners, Don't Stand Me Down 

The third and last album from the band, once more the sound changes but keeps similar elements from before. Kevin Rowland pushes "the Irish thing" his furthest, thanks to Irish Blood, English Heart I know more then I need to about him and these three albums! "This Is What She's Like" is a 12 minute track that does different things, but never feels like it needs to be as long as it is. "Knowledge Of Beauty" is a good tune and a great lyric. "One Of Those Things" is a weird rambly tune that uses the keyboard riff of that other song sampled in "All Summer Long". In "Reminisce Part Two" there is just a spoken word mumble about sentimental songs. The finale "The Waltz" is pretty good also. With only 7 tracks the album gets by with some longer tracks with different turns, it's not as instantly good as the other two but not bad either. It takes a bit to get into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6_TBbBxFb4   

Big Star, #1 Record 

They say if you're a rock musician your worth is determined on whether or not you've listened to #1 Record, atleast that's what the guy who used to own the record store told me...he's gone far off to a secret community where there are no cars and they perform a play of the time Jesus was seen on a wall at Tims. No I'm not joking, this actually happened, link. While this album has pretty high expectations to live up to new ears, one can still find a pretty awesome and rocking set of power pop, full of energy and great melodies. It sounds fantastic, an awesome guitar tone, great drums and overall a solid mix. Vocals are awesome and every song is well crafted. Great rock songs like "Don't Lie To Me" and nice sounding folk like "The India Song" with it's vocal layering, wonderful guitar tone and additional instrumentation. It's quite remarkable how well this album sounds, it's one hell of a production. This is a pretty good record, lots of great tunes and good variety. It breaks into 12-string acoustic by the end, and man they are awesome tracks. Instant must buy this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdAza04R65U   

Felt, The Splendour of Fear   

Jangle riffs for all of history. This album is nothing but arpeggio riffs in mostly long form often instrumental songs. The guitar sounds wonderful, the riffs are great. The drums and bass provide a solid backing, and any passages with vocals are rather angsty and emotive. The compositions are good, I really like "Mexican Bandits" which has a great feel and general tone that I personally aim for. This album is fairly decent, there isn't much variety but it's only 30 minutes and for a big 80's jangle guitar blow-out it's good. I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAz_EKwewVw
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:08:26 PM by Manimal »

Offline Vio

• View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: March 29, 2018, 08:03:35 AM »
Hiroyuki Sawano -?Undead Will Rise? “Suite” - Epic Battle Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ub21qmejXQ

Offline Vio

• View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: March 30, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »
Attack on Titan 2 - 'Barricades' with Lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAgPH1CWiAw&spfreload=10

Offline TEA

• View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: March 30, 2018, 08:45:27 AM »
Crosses - José González.

Very nice and relaxing. Beautiful guitar playing :-)

Offline Vio

• View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: March 31, 2018, 11:51:31 AM »
Hiroyuki Sawano -?Fire Nation?"Suite" - Epic Battle Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fUJm65Jgig