January 23, 2018, 06:40:18 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 216009 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4755 on: December 22, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
Got some more Christmas albums. I have a lot I've not listened to, I really only go for Charlie Brown every year, but I have many I've not touched or only done once like Boney M. and Kenny Rogers.

First it's Sy Mann, Switched On Santa, the merriest Moog synthesizer plays Christmas favorites. It's a corny release from 69' which is basically a demo for this synth. It sounds like Sonic 2 and the music on these lights my Grandma has which play jolly tunes. In some ways this is fun and gives it a nice cheesy Yuletide vibe, in other ways it gets old. It has the songs you need to hear like Rudolph, Jingle Bells, Little Drummer Boy, White Christmas and all. Fun with some really good corn ball Christmas vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvb7hSr-rEA

It's Christmas Time Again, a compilation of various soul/blues/funk artists from Stax. If you need a little groove and bottom shaking for your Yuletide party this is the album, sometimes. There are classic artists like Isaac Hayes, The Temptations, Albert King, and Rufus Thomas on here. Not only does this album have a lackluster version of White Christmas, it also features Black Christmas! Personally I'd be good with a whole Isaac Hayes Christmas album, but what we have is fairly fun. There are two versions of Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin' for some reason. It's a decent listen but not even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1vd9oa-XQ

As always I listen to Bob & Doug Mckenzie's Great White North album as it features the most fantastic 12 Days Of Christmas rendition so it's a Yule tradition. This album legitimately makes me so proud to be Canadian, it's just a talking comedy album with various skits and it's the best. Silly, and of course it has Geddy Lee come in to do a vocal  feature on TAKE OFF, TO THE GREAT WHITE NORTH, TAKE OFF! I always love to listen to this album, it's something so silly, that if it was the one document to represent our culture it'd be the best one. The movie Strange Brew isn't nearly as good, and only has so many worthwhile moments. But this album is very important.

Also listening to The Stones' Some Girls in a while, you know this album really shows how Mick Jagger is the worst part of the Stones yet there could be no band without him. This album is powered by Charlie's carpenter steady drums and Keith's most fantastic rocking. Songs like "When The Whip Comes Down" just rock, and even Keith's vocal track "Before They Make Me Run" which features awful vocals is one of the best songs...because he's so bad at singing that it's great. Mick is slimy on this record, but his fake country on "Faraway Eyes" is amusing and indeed "Beast Of Burden" is a true classic. But his attempt at New York punk vocals on "Shattered" is actually really stupid and embarrassing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:46:52 PM by Manimal Claus »

Online Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
  • Looking for a place to stay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: December 22, 2017, 08:32:59 PM »
Not even gonna stunt, the spongebob soundtrack is kinda fire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiKuhfDjims

Also, as a rap fan who like rap songs by rappers who rap in their raps, I'd figure I start sharing some of my favorite demonstrations of lyrical obliteration with you all. Starting with "Mural" by Lupe Fiasco. Lupe is very underrated by the way. A true unrecognized national treasure of hip hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR84Yo41DxI

Kendrick Lamar is another favorite of mine. People nowadays like to say he's overrated as an MC. Which is pretty absurd especially considering the fact that he has songs where he's literally spazzing on tracks like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niu9KMEGsx4

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: December 23, 2017, 01:20:02 AM »
It's that time of year my dudes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvJzfBxEjv4
"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"--Marquis de Sade
"A loss of innocence / one hand to wash the other / be a perfectionist / you're nothing if you're just another"--TBM, "Goodnight"
Got Ecchi? Join us.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: December 23, 2017, 03:01:36 PM »
Charli XCX, Pop 2

I wasn't rushing to hear anything new from Charli XCX, I found nothing she did previous to be remotely interesting. This so called "mixtape" (don't like the misuse of the word) is 10 creatively produced tracks with actually quite a specific theme.

"Backseat" was a most confusing opener, I didn't think much until Carly Rae came in, then I felt the vibe better. It's a very neat track, with an insanely cool robotic ending. "Tears" is a great track with a good hook, "Delicious" is also very good. "Unlock It" has such great verses, it's a familiar style but a dynamic take on it. Those four are my favorite tracks, excellent ones. "I Got It" less so, silly verses and a rather annoying hook, very cool production wise...but that hook is just heinous, I was happy when it ended. The production is rad, and there are plenty good pop elements. Like those big ol' specifically the year 2010 resurrection keyboards on "Femmebot". Is it already time to bring back now defunct sounds only from 7 years ago, weird. I like it though. 

This "mixtape" has a lot of neat ideas on it. Taking a lot of pop sounds from this decade and doing some wild twists. Even "I Got It" which I thought was a poor track had a ton of twists. Even some of the rap cameos where okay, as much as I often dislike them. I don't really know what Charli's character as an artist is, certainly this is not like the "Boom Clap" days, the production gives this release it's character but there is something interesting to her lyrics and robotic styling as well. Good listen with some real solid tracks to go back to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP0r5LSbWL4   

Offline Vio

• Listed in the MR blacklist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: December 24, 2017, 12:56:31 AM »

Offline Vio

• View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: December 26, 2017, 04:59:39 PM »
1-Hour Pure Sadness - Most Emotional Sad Music Mix | Vol.2 - Most Beautiful Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzc_3arId8s

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: December 28, 2017, 02:20:25 PM »
DAOKO, THANK YOU BLUE

Daoko's new album has shown up! and only 8 days shipping time, really good for CDJapan especially in the holiday season. I just got the standard edition and it comes with a sticker of all the single covers and such, akin to Rock & Roll Over's sticker. Thank You Blue goes through all of Dakao's major label singles, dating back to late 2015, including some b-sides and about 3 new tunes. Every track is top quality, as I was already familiar with the majority of the album it was a bit odd to hear all the songs together, but it all goes together nicely. The new songs like "Juicy" are fantastic and in general it's a very strong release. It's different from Daoko's rap days but she takes on these sounds so well with a variety of collaborators. Her vocals are just the best, she has such a great tone! This might not be as much an album as a set of tunes, but they are great tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExgmZXYUh6M

Earth, Wind & Fire, Raise!

The cool kids would call it Post Disco, likely the most ridiculous genre name I've ever heard. Raise! is a fun album of varied R&B and soul sounds. With the big horns and strings, the grooviest ever basslines and buttocks swinging rhythms. This album has a lot of neat elements to it, the tracks have great groove and different elements song to song. "Let's Groove" is the hit with those catchy high vocals, "The Changing Times" has an insanely great groove and rock guitars. It's the highlight, good it was saved to the end because you'd still be jamming after it ended. Everything is pretty solid on this album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrFb5iiJLI4

Foxes, All I Need 

A straight forward fun and upbeat modern pop album. All I Need is full of familiar and enjoyable sounds, from the Lady Gaga era to the aftermath of 1989. With synth action and very solid vocals. Foxes is a good singer, and the songs are all melodic and catchy with the big choruses. There is not that great of a unique character to the music, but the good songs stand out like "Body Talk", "Money" and "Wicked Love", two excellent tunes! That chorus on the latter is so damn catchy. As stated it takes a straight forward approach, so you know beat for beat for most of the songs will go. From ever snap, tactical reverb and cold ending. Fine listen but nothing overly compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAerYplzZUE&pbjreload=10

Amerie, Touch

One of my favorites things in the world is early 2000's R&B. I just love everything about this style, the instrumentals, vocals and melodies, it's just a style I instantly click with. This album comes right at the end of the era, and it's a iffy collection of those. "1 Thing" is quite a unique opener with an explosive drum performance that puts fills all over the place. Guitar chords keep slamming, and the vocal line is great! It really catches your attention. "All I Need" is great also! Amerie's vocals are good but there are times her deliveries fall flat such as the title track. It has it's moments, a decent album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lQ2l0DSC3k   
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 04:17:06 PM by Manimal »

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a giant primary school playground.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #4762 on: December 29, 2017, 08:54:23 AM »
I got the latest Linkin Park album: One more light live.

I'm a huge LP fan, have been for more than 15 years. I discovered them when I was in highschool, still remember the French TV advertising for Hybrid theory (it said something like: NAAAA LP IS NOT A DISNEY PARK BWAAAAA). I grew up with them and loved all their albums except the Burning things one. Always felt their songs mirrored perfectly my feelings.

I bought One more light the day it was released in France and played it non stop in my car for weeks.
I was curious about the live album and bought it. Here are my impressions.

The sound is great. I'm not a pro or anything but It felt as if I was directly in front of the scene, of not on the scene with the group.

I found all the energy and the feelings from th album, plus some surprises such as Crawling, in the end, Leave out all the rest, what I've done, numb, new divide...all my favorite LP songs.

Chester's voice is exactly the same as in the album.  It's very rare that you get no difference at all between studio and live versions: only some artist succeed in it (I got that impression with LP, Kalafina and Marina Kaye). At some moments the voice seems more fragile but it's not surprising since he's always moving and jumping. In those songs, you can viscerally feel the singers emotions.

I loved how the melodies were slightly different from the album version: more instrumental parts, improved moments too. I felt that each LP member made their best to give life to those studio songs.

My favorite
Don't get me wrong, I love the whole album but here are my ultra favorite.

Sharp edges: this song broke my heart. The guitar harmonies are more soothing, as if consoling a crying child.
One more light: beautiful, so much sadness.
Crawling: This simple piano/voice version is haunting.
Good Goodbye: didn't like much the studio version, adored the live one.

Special mention to numb, what I've done, in the end, new divide. (but that's my lp inner fan talking).

Conclusion: of course, it's an haunting album. It is torn between the energy of the group, the joy you can feel from the members playing with/for their audience, and the cold hearted reality.
During all the album, you get the impression to be on the scene with the group, if not sitting down with them (One more light, sharp edges). This closeness hurts even more when you pay attention to some of the lyrics, or when you remember the reality.
For once, you wish you could have been the one singing back to them to hunt the fears and nightmares.

Yet, this album is not a tissue alert: you don't end up crying or in sadness but with hope and thankfulness. This qlbum is full of life and joy and leaves you with a smile. That's the true victory of this album.

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: December 29, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
Your review was compelling Corycaly, so I listened to One More Light Live as well!

Linkin Park certainly brought it live. Back in 2007 I watched Live At Texas at my cousin's house, I still remember how rad that was even though I haven't seen it since. I recall "One Step Closer" being the highlight. This release sounds like the raw performances, the perfect way to commemorate Chester. For all the rough bits we really hear the passion in his deliveries, all the grit and emotion. The One More Light song all sound fairly good. The title track is one of the centerpieces here, it's such a great tune and this performance is perfect. There other songs work, I'm not crazy about all of them but most are good. Sharp Edges is really good on here!

Crawling was really good, it starts and you wait for the DJ noises but instead you get a really great piano and vocal performance! Goosebump moment when the first chorus came in, man I just love that tune. Then as if it wasn't enough it goes into Leave Out All The Rest, oh my. Like any good concert the songs are well paced, so the highlights are really high. Whenever it busts into a classic you can feel the hype. Like any good concert. It was satisfying when it broke into What I've Done, the extended instrumental was cool to.

No one needed to sing during In The End, the audience could've done the whole song! Numb is always the track that brings it back the most for me. It's just that 2007 era and also the emo 2000's era. The track is both the anthem and end of that era at the same time, when it ends it feels like I can see the whole era fading. I love the 2000's, of course because it's my decade. This is what it feels like when older people talk of "their days" and what not. I was not as thrilled to hear the Encore bits in Numb, but a good performance anyway. Bleed It Out is hype as hell, I mean it's their biggest straight up jam and ya...it's meant to be performed live and end the show. Such a great fricking song.

One More Light Live is a good way to honor Chester in a series of raw live performances that demonstrate his energy very well. Still his voice carries so much life and emotion on these recordings, it does indeed make the reality of things sadder. But it's a solid release and good that the band put it out at the end of the year for one last document.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:49:26 PM by Manimal »

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #4764 on: January 01, 2018, 12:49:12 PM »
Here is my first playlist of the year!
I discovered the ost of a great video game called the Witcher 3 .

I simply love the hyptonic rythms, the voices and the energy of this soundtrack. It goes from mystery to adventurous, smoothing or sad.
 A treasure!
Here is the complete soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLSdl-CdOBo

Here is a shortest selection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2vRdOq_JUs

My favorite: the trail, sword of destiny,  The Fields of Ard Skellig, Geralt of Rivia, the ladies of the woods, farewell old friend.

This playlist gives energy, motivation and focus! Ideal when you have to study or work  for hours.

Offline Vio

• View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: January 04, 2018, 04:11:17 AM »
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Original Soundtrack Extended Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dmSXDMk0hk

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #4766 on: January 04, 2018, 05:02:15 AM »
Here is my morning music of the day! It's very relaxing and helps to focus. It's one of m favorite melodies from the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt ost:  The Fields of Ard Skellig. Here is the 1 Hour Version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0q-cQrlreA

Edit: I just discovered this beauty!
KINGDOM HEARTS - 'After Battle': The Piano Collections - by Sam Yung
I am amazed by the delicateness, the pure emotions this music brings.  I've been  a fan of Kingdom hearts for many years but this ost version gave me shivers. A treasure!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:52:42 PM by Corycaly »

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: January 08, 2018, 09:05:03 PM »
Who'd have thought that the deadest ringer for Sister/Daydream Nation era Sonic Youth would have been a band all of whose albums were release exactly then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3zWrcrIPz0

Offline Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: January 08, 2018, 09:36:56 PM »
That's neat enough to want to listen to the whole album. The drums are very Steve like, more guitar lead action here, cool stuff.

I need to listen to Keiko Fuji's, Utada's Mom, albums when I get a chance. I just came across some stuff and it's pretty good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=984SLLvdahw
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:51:32 PM by Manimal »

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #4769 on: January 11, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
Today, I am listening to Great Teacher Onizuka ost. I love the manga and the anime, the music is quite good too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMA8_FCuOuc&list=PL4D35D384F2AD7483