August 20, 2019, 02:46:41 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 312601 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
  • Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4935 on: December 28, 2018, 08:38:53 PM »
You'll Melt More!, Youtopia

This is a really good album. 15 tracks of non-stop Alt Idol greatness. It's high powered and full of energy. Fantastic choruses, melodies and performances. You'll Melt More! is more straight idol in their music, but with an edge. The instrumentation is awesome here, it really pumps and the synth and guitar bits are awesome. "Night Hiking" is a big time highlight with it's electro bass, breezy feel and rap-ish bridge. I can't list all the highlights since virtually every song on this album is awesome. The music is so strong, everything just works so well here. I love how groups like You'll Melt More! can take all the good parts of idol music and make it even better! There is an edge and real passion and feel good power to this album. I really like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xHnExn9Ks   

GANG PARADE Takes Themselves Higher! 

One of the WACK groups I haven't gotten into yet. This album begins with a heavy sound, the vocals are mixed lower over the hard hitting music, but as it goes on there is more variety. "Are You Kidding?", "Futsu No Nichijo" and "FOUL" are three fantastic songs one after the other. It just keeps going. "Plastic 2 Mercy" is awesome. The beginning was meh, but this album really gets good as it goes on. Short as well, around 30 minutes. It wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be, a surprise and a good one. I like it.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6NCSt3dLug
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:22:41 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: January 01, 2019, 06:02:10 PM »
The first playlist of the year! Breaking new gate. I love that phrase but I know it means nothing.

The Smiths : I Want The One I Can't Have
BAND-MAID : Thrill
PEDRO : MAD DANCE
Nirvana : Heart-Shaped Box
Bob Dylan : Visions of Johanna
Elvis Presley : Love Me         
The Rolling Stones : Time Is On My Side
Kero Kero Bonito : Make Believe
Daft Punk : Instant Crush     
Michael Jackson : Baby Be Mine   
Bee Gees : Too Much Heaven
Japanese Breakfast : The Woman That Loves You
9nine : Shining Star
YOU'LL MELT MORE! : Gorogoro Meditation
GANG PARADE : FOUL
Utada Hikaru : Letters
Mika Nakashima : Find The Way
Seiko Oomori : Kimi ni Todoku na - kitixxxgaia ver.         
Bruce Springsteen : Empty Sky
The Replacements : Can't Hardly Wait
BiSH : Spark '16
miwa : We Are The Light 
Lorde : The Lourve
Louis Cole : Things
BRADIO : You Make Me Feel Brand New   
Linkin Park : The Messenger
Led Zeppelin : Your Time Is Gonna Come
George Harrsion : If Not For You   
Def Leppard : Hysteria
Sonic Youth : The Diamond Sea - Radio Edit

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:06:01 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: January 03, 2019, 05:38:00 PM »
Listening to every BiSH release/song in order because, I don't know I guess I felt some major early 2016 vibes and I like the group a lot so let's go. 

BRAND NEW iDOL SH!T

My friend told me about the group before their second album, I thought it was cool but it took me a while to understand fully what BiSH is. They are called a Punk group without instruments, unlike other Alt Idols they make very driving, melodically sound and always emotive powerful Rock music. There are not so many harmonies or multi singing parts, the sound of BiSH is in the emotion each girl brings to her vocal part. By having one vocal at a time it makes for a much stronger and focused sound overall. The music is Hard Rock, Punk, Metal, and other aesthetics over J-Rock/Pop basically. BiSH is a seriously strong group! and they get better and better, which is the nice thing about following prolific artists.

This first album has many classics. Only half of the current line-up is on here, the vocals are great all around. AiNA THE END hadn't quite unleashed her inner monster, and I'm still not sure which voice is Hug Mii's. "Spark" is one of the best Alt Idol songs ever, a really well composed song that starts things perfectly. "BiSH -Hoshi ga Matataku Yoru ni-" kicks it, the song they performed something like 10 times in a row without breaks during one concert. "MONSTERS" kicks buttocks, it's one of their heaviest and most smashing tracks. Most of the good songs made it to FAKE METAL JACKET, but there are stand out here like "School Girls Bang Bang". "Pirapiro" is amazing! The verses are super heavy then it switches easily to something more melodic. "Karada Ideology" is the only truly insane song on here. Overall this is a great album, it's full of amazing songs with a great style and kick. 

The single from 2015 is "OTNK" with 2 b-sides. The title track is a Celtic metal song about erections, it's great. "NO THANK YOU" is a strong track. "MAIN STREET ELECTRICAL PARADE" is a weirdo tune without lyrics, just "na-na-na's", it's a creative tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j2NvbuUbs8   

FAKE METAL JACKET 

This is the first time I've listened to the album since it came out 3 years ago. BiSH adds Atsuko, who has the weakest voice but the coolest look in the group and LingLing, easily the weirdest member. After listening to BRAND NEW iDOL SH!T there are a lot of the same songs with the exact same track, just new vocals. It's little difference, atleast they are really good songs. "Primitive" is the first new song and my God it's amazing, a masterpiece. The composition is on point, the chorus is catchy and strong, and AiNA's performance makes it all come together. Great guitar parts also. "Departures" is a favorite. "ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE" is amazing, it's a nice soft song that ends then kicks it into the highest gear the album hits in it's last half.

FAKE METAL JACKET is good, but it's not as strong as the first album. Despite having more of the group, and the beginning of AiNA's voice emerging, it's just not nearly as good song for song. It does have "Primitive" however. It's a little bit too long I think, it could lose a song. But overall it's very good! I mean it still has "Spark" which is a special song for me and yes, I'll mention "Primitive" only one more time.

The single from 2016 is "DEADMAN", the group released a minute and a half Hardcore Punk song for their Major Label debut single. It's awesome, really awesome. The b-side "Earth" is a good heavy track, it's a slammer with an aggressive repetitive vocal and energy. It has "DEADMAN"'s power with...melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IERFnQ6lDS8 

KiLLER BiSH 

With Ayuni D, BiSH as they are today was complete. Ayuni D is my favorite member, she has a great sneer, her solo project PEDRO is excellent, and she added so much to the group. On "Hontou Honki" we see her importance right away. The way this album begins is ridiculous, "DEADMAN" and "First Kitchen Life" serve as a heavy duty one two punch. "Stairway To Me" has a section that recalls the pre-solo of "Stairway To Heaven" and it has a big gear shift with one of the only big guitar solos in BiSH's music. The song is simply fantastic! The second half is basically a big jam, with an organ solo even, it's the only like it BiSH have ever done. "IDOL is SH!t" is some 2000's Emo Rock.

"Hontou Honki" is I think BiSH's best and most iconic song yet. The video is great and Ayuni D being upfront (and writing the excellent lyrics) along with AiNA and Atsuko on the choruses is fantastic. It's hard hitting and the Iron Maiden style guitar passage makes the song as great as it is. Especially when the piano plays the same thing in the catchy chorus. It's just a great fricking track and plays on everything great about BiSH in one song. It's an altogether amazing track the the highest moment the group has reached yet. Lingling gets her big moment on "Am I FRENZY??" a really heavy kick ass track. Basically KiLLER BiSH is an excellent well put together album, it's great song for song to the end. 

Also including the 2017 single "Promise The Star". One of the band's best "ballad" songs, it's a very strong hard rocking track with good strings and a familiar melody. The b-side "Help!!" is like an early Scandal song with it's guitar part and robotic vocals, a cool song. You gotta look out for BiSH's b-sides they sneak in some good ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i90zUjc_J30 

GiANT KiLLERS

The 5 song mini-album. I actually haven't heard this before. "GiANT KiLLERS" is amazing, it's a real epic with great vocal arrangements and a real killer chorus. Every member gives it all on this song, it's really really great. The other songs are decent, some good ones like "Marionette". "VOMiT SONG" is really good, it breaks things up a bit from being the same. This is a solid EP overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbua8Z47Hc 

The Guerrilla BiSH 

It was on when I heard "My Landscape", I realized BiSH had reached the next level, and this was only furthered with "GiANT KiLLERS". I've listened to this album a few times and it's really good. The whole thing comes together very well, it might not have the best tracks song by song but the whole thing is great. "FOR HiM" is my second favorite BiSH song with an even more Iron Maiden style guitar bit. I absolutely love this song, like "Spark" it's important to me. "Pearl" is great, "Promise The Star" is phenomenal, "SMACK baby SMACK" is cool, "JAM" is nice. I think after listening to every album today, I don't think this is their best album. This one does have a lot of faster rockers that come and go really quickly, I don't really know when "BODiES" ends and "ALLS" begins. It's strong moments are really great however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ombqA70cI 

2018 Singles

BiSH spent 2018 with tie-in singles for games, anime and dramas, aside from the song "NON TIE-UP", which indicates it not being in a tie-in by it's title. They have become more popular this year, and I'm sure found some new fans from having a song in Black Clover. "PAiNT iT BLACK" has a cool music video, the song itself is alright, nothing amazing. The b-side "SCHOOLYARD" is better. "Life Is Beautiful/Hide The Blue" are standard songs but good ones. The music video for "Life Is Beautiful" actually made me cry, so that was weird. They did that beginning of Up thing. It's a good low key type song. If you know anime songs well you've heard "HiDE THE BLUE", atleast the piano intro, the song is actually pretty good though, it has a lot of edge and kick.

"NON TiE-UP" is good old BiSH, but the mix sucks. It's too loud and the vocals suffer. I like how edgy it is, it has the phrase "Lick my titties, harden your dicks". Like "PAiNT iT BLACK" the music video is better than the song, man BiSH have great videos! They are so memorable. "stereo future" grew on me big time. It's a really great exciting song. The strings are awesome and add a great element to the track, it has a good beat and vocals. It's pretty intense as well. The b-side "S H ! T" is Ayuni D heavy, which means it's awesome! It's pretty strong overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwg_beeIxUU 

I love BiSH. They might not be an obsession like Seiko, BAND-MAID and others but they are just a really great solid as hell group with lots of raw passion and great tunes. Ayuni D is really shaping up to be a new J-Pop icon for me. PEDRO proved she was way cooler than she seemed at first. Listening to BiSH all day was maybe not my best idea but it was worth it anyway because I felt like it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:00:27 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: January 15, 2019, 08:48:24 PM »
Recording a great to the point Elvis mixtape on a 60 minute tape.

Hound Dog
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
Don't Be Cruel
All Shook Up   
Don't
Love Me 
Blue Moon Of Kentucky   
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy
(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
Good Luck Charm
Too Much
I Need Your Love Tonight
One Night   

Stuck On You
Return To Sender
I Forgot To Remember To Forget 
(You're The) Devil In Disguise
I Beg Of You
Treat Me Nice
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again 
It's Now Or Never 
Any Day Now     
Burning Love
Moody Blue                                                 
Can't Help Falling In Love 

Elvis recorded the best love songs of all time. To me the best love song ever made, is "Can't Help Falling In Love". Only Elvis' version, no one else can cover it, it just about makes me cry whenever I listen to it, which isn't often. It's just the perfect love song, there is no better. "It's Now Or Never", "Love Me", "Don't" and "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" are right behind, timeless classics that only Elvis can perform. No one can match his expression, it's the sound of romance or strong feelings/longing for another in music to me. Only very early John Lennon could match this for me, on songs like "Anna", "Misery" and "This Boy" and later in his fantastic cover of "Stand By Me". Paul is to fake as a vocalist, great as he is, that early John is the real stuff like the bridge of "Anna". I love the Beatles because of those type songs. To me the most enduring music is this kind of stuff, a great love song never ages.

Elvis is the best for me because he could sell almost every song in his early days. He has some stinkers like his dull  versions of "Rip It Up" and "Long Tall Sally", but on his most passionate songs his perfect voice was simply magic. That's the only way to describe some of these songs, like his Sun Records recordings and such. From later songs I absolutely love "Any Day Now", a real epic and though not on here "Power Of My Love", "Kentucky Rain", "Inherit The Wind", "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" and obviously "Suspicious Minds" (like duh) are fantastic tunes from his Memphis recordings. I have times when I really feel Elvis music again and now is that time. His best music holds incredible magic for me.           
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:48:51 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: January 20, 2019, 05:47:49 PM »
Momoiro Clover Z, 5th Dimension 

The space epic of idol albums. A concept record with a very consistent flow and great set of tracks. The group is high energy with classic idol pop, rock, slight dub-step and other elements at play. Some songs are long and keep themselves interesting, although opening with 'Requiem For A Dream" was weird. 5th Dimension is a very enjoyable album, hardly a bad moment on it's hour long tracklist, there are some real stand out moments like the rap verses, fantastic halfway change up in "Ashes and Diamond" and the highlight track "5th Power". Great vocals and sounds, I like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz05u3E-UCs

Protest The Hero, Fortress 

When I showed my friend BAND-MAID's song "Clang" he said it kind of sounded like Protest so I was okay, time to listen to Protest. Oh my. This is wicked. Crazy Prog Metal in the form of smashing to the point tracks. Every song is like 5 songs, it has so many changes and little details. Truly the composition of songs like "Palms Read" make no sense. It's insane. Lots of stretchy guitar riffs and double bass grooves. The vocals aren't too bad, it's not just growls and stuff, it's an intense style that's dynamic. I still can't do just screaming vocals, so this strikes a good balance. Fortress is a rad album, the always changing and always smashing style leads me to not really know one song from the next on first listen, but nothing was bad on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfICoI_dSaM                     

American Football   

One of my friends has been playing Math Rock type stuff a lot recently, which has peaked my interest a bit. I suppose this is kind of that with Indie vocals and all. This is one Emo time sad feeling album, but I kind of like it. The grooves are interesting, great space and drums with fantastic jangly guitars. The angsty vocals fit it all to create this fantastic atmosphere. "Honestly?" is such a great track, in one single chord strum it changes gears entirely. A real understated drama. This album gets more instrumental as it goes on and has some horns and stuff here and there. It's alright, a decent mood piece album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uj2JpvsvX4     

Louis Cole, Time 

Okay so I knew nothing was going to be close to "Things" but I figured I'd give it a listen. Time is a decent quirky album that has it's own kind of whatever tone. There are some cool bits and tricks here and there, but really it's all about "Things". Amazing song, I loved it right away and knew it was going to become an iconic of my life because it has the exact tone that clicks with me the most. I really love this song, it's just so brilliant. The rest of the album is okay, "Night" is the only other song I ever want to hear again from it however.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:43:18 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: January 22, 2019, 07:51:43 AM »
Elvis' Golden Records Volume 3 

Only in the 50's/Early 60's could an artist not even be 10 years into their career and already have their 3rd greatest hits album. This volume has six singles and their b-sides, mostly from the same sessions. The tracks don't kick as much as his earlier material, but man this is tight as hell. With new stereo sound the songs really open up. "Stuck On You" shows this new sound right away, it sounds so great and full of space. The production is high quality on these songs. Elvis' voice is the smoothest it ever was, and after the Army he had a whole new dynamic range shown on "It's Now Or Never" and "Surrender", two fantastic tracks, "It's Now Or Never" being my favorite Elvis song. "Little Sister" is alright, a little too cheesy and empty instrumentally. I don't love it but "His Latest Flame" is awesome. "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" has never been a go to song, it's fantastic aside from the talking part which is corny and too long. "Good Luck Charm" has a weird attitude to it, but it's a nice tune.

The new to me songs like "Fame And Fortune" and "I Gotta Know" are quite good. "Anything That's Part Of You" is a nice quiet ballad. This is a really solid collection of tracks, it gives a good look into a small era of Elvis' music, basically the last of his true classics. There are smooth as hell songs like "Stuck On You" and excellent emotive love ballads like "It's Now Or Never" which an actual good stereo sound that only falters with the dry sound of "Little Sister". If you have Elvis' first 3 Golden Records albums than you have a fantastic look into his best stuff. This record could only be better with "Devil In Disguise" which is on Golden Records Volume 4 which...has far less good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVqR2PwX428

Further comments on The Beatles' Please Please Me

In many ways I love this record and it's been my go to Beatles album along with some of the early American releases, Beatles For Sale and With The Beatles. I haven't gotten sick of these songs because they are timeless. Please Please Me could've been the best Beatles album for me if not for a number of bad songs like "A Taste Of Honey" and "PS I Love You". I'm not too fond of "Do You Want To Know A Secret" or "Boys" either. The real stuff is John's songs, amazing. "Misery" and "Anna" are fantastic, they sound so great and John's vocals are emotive and full of real life. I love the bridge of "Anna", it's such a strong and genuine feeling (which he lost BIG time by 67). "Baby It's You", "Ask Me Why" and "There's A Place" are brilliant go to songs as well. They are just wonderful tracks.

I've heard "I Saw Her Standing There", "Love Me Do" and "Twist And Shout" enough by now but ya they're awesome to and work nicely on the record. I like this album a lot still, it has a great feeling to it that other Beatles albums just don't have. "Please Please Me" has become my #1 favorite Beatles song, it has everything. A classic into, melody, feeling and strong drive as well as fantastic harmony and I never get sick of it. I really think it's the best Beatles song because it has not worn on me a bit! There is a real energy and electricity to this record that is not on other Beatles albums. It's very much imperfect, yet so perfect in it's best moments. 50's/Early 60's music gets to my heart and soul. No hippie dippie meaningless stupid psychedelic nonsense, just real genuine emotions (or atleast genuine sounding). Clear lyrics that don't mess around and good solid music behind it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXAYtCT8oh4 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:57:28 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: January 24, 2019, 04:17:34 PM »
Protest The Hero, Volition

Wow! Awesome fricking metal album, it's way better than Fortress as these are more actual songs and not bits of things put together. It ditches the need to keep constant gear shifting and instead this album has actual songs and great tunes, the vocals are more aggressive 80's in the best way, fantastic singing and sound! The guitars are excellent and there are so many little details that keep the songs going. With much better formed tunes the music comes through a lot better, this a lot better. I really like this! A lot sticks out to me on here. "Mist" is the best song, it's a Newfoundland song! Hell yaaaa. This is so great and being Canadian makes it 50 times better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmutr9yFzs

BILLIE IDLE®, Not Idol 

So Anti-Idol group BILLIE IDLE®, responsible for the classic "Anarchy In The Music Scene" MV/song, are still around and in fact released an album recently and now star member of BiS Pour Lui is in the group. It's a short 8 song album with every track being different from the other, going over a range of styles in a sort of Alt Rock fashion. "Everydays" is an awesome track, it has bonus harmonica and a great melody, fast pacing and great sound. It's followed by an almost fricking Cowpunk song in "DOKI2", which is fantastic. The fast and more rocking moments are the best and overall the album is alright, it seems BILLIE IDLE® focus on this variety to their Punk delivery. There are some great moments and tunes on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE6CWxrzics

You'll Melt More!, We Are A Rock Festival 

A 30 minute mini album from the high-powered sugar Rock idols. It's a very summer feeling set of tracks that pack the group's signature blend of Rock, idol and various electro sounds. It can get cheesy in a good way at times with some of the singing, and each member seems to have her unique style and delivery. I like the sound of this group a lot, they do the high voiced idol thing but with much more solid music and tunes than a group like say, Dempagumi Inc. This is a fun mini album. "Night Hiking" works so well on here as the closer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuTvKsLhJlY   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:26:06 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: February 13, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »
Got my second order on Discogs, The Smiths debut. I did go with a repress because for some reason it's become hard to find a copy online for cheap. Now, compared to my amazing Seiko order this is really not great. I went with the cheapest one so I'm not shocked that the condition is so so. But the seller put "some superficial scruffs play perfect", but um, it skips in the same part during "Reel Around The Fountain" and sounds very crackly at points. I can't be surprised about this as buying a record without seeing it is actually kind of silly, but I was a little unhappy. But not every order will be as amazing as the Seiko one. I neeeed more J-Pop on record...JPU Records, press some BAND-MAID albums now please.

I was also mad when I flipped over the album, waited for the opening of "This Charming Man" but got "Still Ill". I was like "STUPID BRITISH PEOPLE! Since I got a UK copy. I was a little mad but then I realized no record copy has that song so it was okay. This album is the definition of a grower. I have listened to it many times in the last few weeks and I do quite like the album. For sure the songs on Hatful Of Hollow are inferior on here, but this album just kind of works. "Miserable Lie" went from terrible to kind of cool, and "Suffer Little Children" is a great finale. Of course I dearly love "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" and think it's the Smiths' second best song next to "I Know It's Over". Everytime the song begins it's just magic, it has the best tone. I can say it's a good album, and like Meat Is Murder which I also recently bought and (almost completely) love (aside from the title track and "What She Said" isn't a favorite either) they are both great records to have. 

I have fallen into a deep BiSH obsession since that day I marathoned all of their songs and I can't stop watching live videos and listening to them. I can't believe I didn't go crazy for the group when I started listening to them 3 years ago. They are so inspiring, especially that you can see how they've gotten so much better over time. The music has always been good, when they aren't just rehashing things, and all the members are great. "stereo future" grew on me so hard, same with "PAiNT iT BLACK", both are awesome songs. I'm waiting for that next album...until than my mixtape keeps spinning. 

So it seems this is the BiSH and second Elvis era with The Smiths still carrying over from last year. I got a lot of cheap records last week, like some 50's country and stuff. I like Hank Williams, pretty cool tunes and voice. Some of the other stuff is the same, but it has a good tone most of the time. Loretta Lynn is not too bad, though I did get some pretty bad records. I want to get into some more good country, I really like 50's and early 60's music style but it's really only Elvis and early Beatles that hit it for me. I need to listen to more Soul/R&B for the era I think, it seems a lot of stuff is just so lame.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:23:20 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: February 24, 2019, 11:54:10 AM »
Notes on relistening to some records.

I still can't get into The Clash's debut. It just sounds bad. The mix is awful, like the Ramones first album. I keep listening like, this is the time, but no. "I'm So Bored With The USA" is the only song I really like. This album can't compete with Give 'Em Enough Rope in anyway, easily the best thing the Clash ever made, there is no contest whatsoever, it's one of the 10 best Rock 'n Roll albums to me. This one just doesn't sound good. I think this is the last time I'll listen to it and expect something amazing. It's not a bad album just not as good as the next one and highly overrated by pretentious dorks. C'mon nothing on here is even close to as good as "English Civil War".   

Bobby's Blonde On Blonde really stands out as his best work. It's a true Rock 'n Roll album with a crazy free spirit, raw and dynamic. I hate the first two songs, "Rainy Day Women" is a miserable piece of trash that has no right to open an album this good, if not for this being a double I could not forgive this horrific garbage as the first song. But since this record is long you have plenty time to get in the vibe. The guitars are gutter levels of slime, it's awesome and Bob's lyrics reached their absolute peak. "Stuck Inside Of Mobile", "Absolutely Sweet Marie", "I Want You", "One Of Us Must Know", it just never ends. Now it has some meh songs on side 3, but it's a strong work overall. Highway 61 Revisited on the other hand I need to rethink. It's a taste changing album for me and a very important record, but mainly for a few key songs. Aside from one of the best pieces of music the 60's ever made, "Like A Rolling Stone", you have other awesome songs but some tracks I really dislike. I've never liked "Ballad Of A Thin Man", I think it sucks, and so does the title track. But when this album is good it's amazing. It's just not as dynamite as Blonde On Blonde however. But it does have three total masterpieces.   

Going to Hair Metal, King Kobra's Ready To Strike has always been a favorite of mine. It has one of the best songs of the era "Shake Up" and some other awesome tracks like "Second Thoughts" and the power ballad "Tough Guys". It's catchy and rocks, the guitar sound is unique with many cool solos and riffs. The singing is great and though some songs are standard fair, such as "Shadow Rider" and "Attention", it's a very solid album beginning to end that is kind of a hidden gem of the time. RATT's Invasion Of Your Privacy is an album I've always brushed off, but it's awesome also. It has many excellent riffs and good tunes, even if most of them are second rate. "You're In Love" and "Lay It Down" are the only real shining highlights, but "Never Use Love" and "Closer To My Heart" are quality tracks. RATT did some of the Genre's best music early on, they had the right attitude and a pretty formidable guitar duo along with catchy tunes.   

The Stones Beggars Banquet I like very much! Aside from "Jigsaw Puzzle" which is lyrically and vocally hot garbage and a low point of the Stones' golden era. A complete Bob Dylan rip off and Mick Jagger does not sell it at all with awful lyrics and terrible singing. Sometimes I really don't like Mick, he can sound disingenuous and stupid (this is why I dislike "Jumping Jack Flash" so much, the sounds like it thinks it's a masterpiece but it isn't), but on the other songs this is not the case. "Street Fighting Man" is one of the greatest Rock 'n Roll songs ever created (I personally feel Elvis' "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" is the best), I just love it. No doubt the best thing the Stones ever recorded. Perfection, from that ringing acoustic, the sitar, terrible drum sound and man it's just killer. "Salt Of The Earth" is a fantastic finale, and overall this album is simply fantastic, besides "Jigsaw Puzzle" though the music is awesome on it, fantastic bassline.                 

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: March 03, 2019, 05:54:58 PM »
Elvis Is Back!

and it sure sounds like it. Elvis' comeback album after the army marks the end of his Golden Era, in some ways it's his best focused album, rather than song collection, with many fantastic songs and a repowered Elvis with an improved voice and sound. Much of it was recorded the same couple days, and it reflects in the overall cohesive flow. The album is very well produced with great early stereo that gives it a wide sound, it's great! It's a range of late 50's, early 60's Pop styles with a sound that moves. "Make Me Know It" is a high powered opener, a fun bright track that sets the tone. "Solider Boy" is a great ballad with a piano sound that gets into my heart and soul, it's my favorite song on the album. I absolutely love it. "Such A Night" is an absolute jam. A totally banging track that explodes into a quick, loud and raw bridge. "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" also rocks. It falters a bit at times, I'm not a big fan of "Fever" which drags a minute too long, and "I Will Be Home Again" is merely the music of "One Night" with a new melody. Not everything is great but this album has some of Elvis' greatest unknown tracks and overall it's a tight listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trunh3K5Lc4     

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Deja Vu 

Right away you know you're in for a great album. Beginning with the groups trademark harmonies and a cool acoustic bit on "Carry On". From there we have many great Folk, Country and Rock combined tracks. "Helpless" is the highlight, a really amazing song that Neil Young takes lead on. He does call a small town by Peterborough Northern Ontario though which semi ticked me off, nothing past Sudbury is Northern Ontario, but in the song I can pretend he got his geography right and feel good. The album is pretty good, great tone and vocals. Very enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZZTODQ37w0 

Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Zuma 

When you look past his lame overplayed hits Neil Young has a lot of good music, and this album really shows it. This album rocks more, with some nice slower songs. It keeps a good pace the whole time, with a really great tone. I prefered the softer moments but there are some awesome jams like "Drive Back" on here. I regret passing up a copy of this album...it's pretty awesome! "Through My Sails" is my favorite track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gTuSeTHKWE 

David Crosby, If I Could Only Remember My Name 

A cool album I've never heard of nor seen before. This is a pretty decent album that jams more than I figured it would. Not everything was a hit for me but it has a pretty great feel. I figured I'd have a bit more to say about it, but I don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pn3M-KgTVU

The Cure, Seventeen Seconds 

How many times do I have to listen to a Cure album before I say, yes I really do think the Cure sucks. Besides Disintegration and a good track here and there. This album was so boring for me. It sounded bad, the drum (machine?) was awful and so basic, it had no life at all. This music was so flat sounding, it didn't pack a bit of life. Besides the cool chorus guitars I really came out of this feeling nothing at all. It wasn't bad, just boring and plain sounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAyQ7J_C-fI 

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: March 04, 2019, 06:51:30 PM »
Seventeen Seconds/Faith/Pornography-era Cure is a bit bleak for some. I very much like Faith and Pornography, though. What you probably want from the Cure is their phase from Head on the Door up through Wish (which includes Disintegration), when they had better production and Boris Williams (who's a good bit better than Lol Tolhurst) played drums. Most of those albums aren't as bleak as Disintegration or their early albums, either, although they're still goth-y.

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: March 16, 2019, 11:00:32 PM »
It's a Dead Or Alive 6 and record kind of night.

Judas Priest Stained Class[. Excellent excellent excellent album. It's a rifftastic album with a lot of groove and coolness. It's likely the most song by song "cool" album Priest ever made. The guitars sound awesome but the mix is kind of flat and it doesn't explode as much as I'd like. However the songs are quality. "Exciter" is an awesome opener and "White Heat, Red Hot" has always been a favorite. "Heroes End" is fantastic, and "Invader", "Stained Class", "Savage" and "Better By You, Better Than Me" are just so awesome. "Beyond The Realms Of Death" is called the band's "Stairway To Heaven". It isn't, and I don't like some of the lyrics but it's still pretty cool. This album is just totally rad. It's not the best thing they ever made but it is the damn coolest. It's the only way to define it. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCTOu57AP2o

W.A.S.P. Inside The Electric Circus. Referred to by Blackie as "one of the biggest pieces of trash in the music industry", it's not quite a fair comment but this is an album of half good half super filler. "Inside The Electric Circus" is a corny lyric but a cool opening track, though the circus theme is dumb. "I Don't Need No Doctor" and "Easy Living" are solid cover tracks. "95-N.A.S.T.Y." is a major highlight. A slightly more mature sex lyric than "Shoot From The Hip" which has horrific phrases like "my emotions coming down all across your face". "95-N.A.S.T.Y." is a really great song! "Restless Gypsy" while good is the very first of many instances of Blackie rewriting "Wild Child" something he's done his whole career. It's a near copy, and it's not the only time this album does it. "I'm Alive" is a song I really liked for some reason, it's not bad just not...much. "Mantronic" is sort of cool though the riff is very similar to Van Halen's "Somebody Get Me A Doctor". This album is not too bad but it's top loaded, "Shoot From The Hip" is dumb and the second side is nearly the same song over and over. W.A.S.P. made worse albums, refer to Helldorado with songtitles like "Don't Cry (Just Suck)" and "Saturday Night Cockfight". For a guy who was and continued to be such a good lyricist it's really a wonder how he kept making songs so juvenile not even Gene Simmons would write them. "Do me until I'm red like the a dick on a dog". It's a parody, it must be.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1vkl6qyxjg

Van Halen OU812. The lesser sequel to the excellent 5150. Eddie's guitar mostly takes a backseat to the keyboards which as the previous two albums feature heavily. The album has it's highlights, but outside the singles there isn't much here. "Mine All Mine" is a good opener, really awesome keyboard parts. "When It's Love" highlights Sammy Hagar's biggest issue. It's a great tune, very nice and well done, but the lyrics say nothing. Sammy is not a good lyricist by any means, just a great vocalist. Roth was also a bad lyricist but he owned and sold it. "Cabo Wabo" is one of the shortest feeling 7 minute songs ever, it's good and so is the really cool country/rockabilly "Finish What Ya Started", which is the only song to feature a real noteworthy riff. Though I like the part in "Sucker In A 3 Piece". "Feels So Good" is the only other good song, it's a nice breezy tune. The rest of the album is mediocre. Never bad, never anything worthwhile. The same with the following album. Eddie's guitar tone is not good either. He had a much stronger showing on 5150. This is not an album I go to very often for a reason.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eb2XW0et8g

Scorpions Blackout. I must've mentioned this one before because I really like this album. It's just awesome. A really sound 80's Hard Rock album with catchy tunes that Rock. The opener sets the pace and it never lets down. The whole album is tight and well put together. "China White" is a highlight on side 2, a slow one with a cool riff and unique vocal. It's a really great song and, well so is everything on this album! RATT. A really great EP. It's the roughest the band sounded, "Sweet Cheater" being their heaviest song. It's all good stuff, though this version of "Back For Me" just wasn't up to quality. Thankfully they improved it and made it shine on Out Of The Cellar, it sounds awkward here, especially with the bass farts. Otherwise there are great tunes like "U Got It" and "Tell The World". "You Think You're Tough" is the biggest one, and it's quite good also. The guitar tones are pretty gruff on here, which is cool. This has always been an awesome EP!     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Ml5XadvzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNxGkSJ6LSM

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:08:54 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: April 01, 2019, 09:20:42 PM »
Mary's Blood, Revenant 

Whoa. Right away from "World's End" you know you're in for something. Mary's Blood are...really fricking badass. This is straight up J Style Power Metal. Melodic and awesome husky vocals, ripping solos and riffs and a tight rhythm section. Some change ups and little details also. These girls don't have a gimmick, they're just...really good musicians. Oh my God, Eye is an awesome vocalist. "On The Rocks" is a fricking almost Hair Metal song, Eye's vocal is so gritty and steaming, and it has these Def Leppard/Whitesnake riffs, wow this song really caught me off guard, oh my God. and it continues with the Dokken/White Lion opening riff of "Rolling Start". Okay, I LOVE MARY'S BLOOD NOW. I have known of them for a bit but only listened now and I'M REALLY IMPRESSED. Oh my God, "Rolling Start" has made me a fan. How did I miss this album last year? Oh my God. "Rolling Start" is so fricking good this is amazing. The Power Metal songs are great also, but I did not expect this album to take a near Hair Metal turn, it's so good wow. "R.I.P." is a fricking Punk song. OH MY GOD, Eye (why is that her stage name lol) is so awesome. "R I P, YOU SUCK!". Okay, this album isn't perfect it has some meh songs, but it also has some that made me go NO WAY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfV1xK4Xp0E     

Gacharic Spin, G-litter

So, I don't know anything about this band. I don't know why the keyboardist is dressed like a burger and I don't know their whole thing. The music is a lot more J-Pop, Ani-Pop even, with a lot of Rock, a little idol and other elements. It's...pretty cool actually. Like really damn cool. I...love this. It has...everything. This album is so many things I love at once. It's a little Passcode, Haru Nemuri, BiSH, BAND-MAID, various anime songs, wow it has everything in J-Pop. What the hell is this group? Who is behind this madness? I really love this. Was this album made for me or something? What the hell. Damn fricking good music. Just my kind of thing! Wow 2018, I missed some good albums it seems. This is basically better than everything I heard last year besides World Domination and Haru To Shura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zt11XMnMr8

BRATS 

I didn't realize when I saw the "Unfair" video that is was a year old song from an album that already came out. So, we have the first album from BRATS, Rei Kuromiya's (former LADYBABY) Rock band. They've been around for quite some time, and previously did the OP for To Be Hero. This album sounds very much like early 2000's Metal, it's loud as hell. Maybe to a fault, the guitars tear the speakers up and some details are unclear, like the cool left channel riff in the chorus of "Lost Place". But it packs good energy. Rei is an awesome vocalist, she's a real Rocker. She's not quite as solid overall as say, Saiki, but she has a lot of room to improve. "Unfair" is fantastic, a cool total J-Rock song with a catchy chorus, I love the clashing guitars, it's a very classic J-Rock style and it always gets me. It's a decent album I just wish it was produced better. Everything is totally maxed. I was hoping for a bit more I think, since "Unfair" is so good. It's inconsistent overall also, and has a couple meh songs. But not a bad listen, I think BRATS are still improving and haven't got as good as they can be just yet. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLqr1Y5QJuE   

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: April 04, 2019, 09:23:29 PM »
Maison Book Girl, Yume   

Carrying on my trend of albums I missed last year, Maison Book Girl is an Alt Idol group formed by former BiS member Megumi Koshoji. Like PASSCODE, Perfume and others they have a unique and instantly notable sound that is their own. I first heard this sound before I even knew about the group in Seiko Oomori's song "Pink Methocera". Describing their sound is hard over text, but I hate musical terms anyway, it's about the primal things. There are super cool keyboards, lots of "hits" especially with acoustics, time changes like mad (I tried to count to the first song but I had no idea what was going on), crazy drums and great singing/melodies. It has some quiet bits with piano and that music box sound, and in general has a strange grey tone. It's very consistent and signature in it's sound. Maison Book Girl are a very defined group and they have a totally new style to my ears. I love their sound and there are so many excellent songs on this album. It's longer but well paced and a total mood piece. The vocals are really great all around, same with the compositions. Everything is just sonically pleasing on this album. This is the most "mature" and interesting Alt Idol music I've heard. It's weird and crafty but never sounds "off". It's well put together and fantastically produced. I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sS65oEu_h8 

Mary's Blood, Bloody Palace 

Another solid album. Mary's Blood show a great understanding and respect for 80's Metal while taking a modern approach. Eye is a crazy good vocalist with serious guts and Saki is a ridiculously good guitarist. On first listen I enjoyed this album but was a little less impressed, might've been my mood. Though the song "Ready To Go" is excellent, it has a super 80's riff and that great fantastic classic hard driving feel. Awesome melody as well. I like "Song For You" as well. There is a ballad "Infinite Love" that is kind of meh towards the end. I would say from the 2 album's I've heard so far Mary's Blood stack well with their contemporaries, in fact I like them a lot more than most, but they don't quite have that special edge/versatility that put BAND-MAID in my all time favorite bands list. They are however really dedicated to their craft and great at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfUgrL5XdQY   
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:56:36 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Topo Gigio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: April 19, 2019, 04:04:32 PM »
BiS, Idol Is Dead 

When people talk about the legend of BiS and Pour Lui this is the album that says it all. BiS being the original Alt Idols. Pour Lui's vision and antics paved the way for every group to follow. Released in 2012, this is nothing short of an excellent and powerful record with a selection of amazing songs and great attitude. It's heavy on the music, with the vocals mixed Perfume style, meaning the members are a part of the song like the band rather than the most upfront element. This is before Kenta Matsukuma worked out the WACK formula, so it's more chance taking and creative. There are crazy songs like "Idol Is Dead", distorted idol anthems like "Nerve", fun slamming Punk like "CHELSEA" and a whole variety of Rock stylings. Who can forget the music videos for songs like "My lxxx" where the members run naked through the suicide forest or "PPCC" where they get into a gang brawl and lick each other's wounds. The highlight is the most iconic Alt Idol song ever "primal." the excellent album finale with a powerful arrangement and chorus. I have known BiS slightly longer than BiSH and yet only now have I listened to this album. It's really damn good.

(The video for "primal." is kinda gross and unsettling so I'll link just the song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_4pYwUEEKs

BILLIE IDLE, bi bi bi bi bi 

The Punk Rock NOT IDOLS who have two 1st Gen BiS members (now 3 with Pour Lui joining last year) and a fun energetic 10 song album. It's nothing shocking or overly unique, but it's pretty fun with a good attitude and delivery. There are some cool songs and I like the vocals/arrangements. BILLIE IDLE are focused on that Punk energy, it's pretty fun in tone, there is only one slower song to break it out. Fun album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4wRdysB9j0 

Atarashii Gakkou no Leaders, Wakage Ga Itaru 

A new album, this is a group I don't fully understand, no thanks to completely missing the message in their music. This is certainly a meaner Punk spirited album. It goes Midori lite halfway through with an awesome rocking Jazz band behind the group. This is where the record shines with high energy drums, stand up bass and piano. Early on it's rougher guitars and deadpan vocals. This album starts subpar but kicks it up big time by the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYBhJnhBcnA 

Yapoos, Dial Y For Murder 

Thanks Pipe for showing me the really awesome song "Men's Junan", now we have the whole album, my full introduction to Jun Togawa also. Pretty cool album, every song is different from the next, cool style and great vocals. Lots of variety and good bits. I liked the first half more but it was overall enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG9Djm3akME

Junko Ohashi, Magical   

A nice City Pop album. The big basslines, grooves, instrumentation and great vocals. I even downloaded a vinyl rip with crackling in quiet parts. There is something nice about the tone of this album. Like the cover it's a look at a shining memory of days past. It's only the 3rd City Pop record I've heard, and despite the good element it has the same issues I have with the other ones. It has it's moments but a good amount of the tracks come and go. "Telephone Number" is the classic and "Dancin'" is a stand-out track late album. Junko gives a stand out vocal performance on "I Love You So". Overall it's a pretty decent album, it has it's fun, the instrumentation is super cool and the vocals solid. There are relativity few surprises though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0JVRcJLea8
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 04:08:33 PM by Manimal »