October 15, 2018, 04:22:38 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 268906 times)

Offline Spooky Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • We're The Dream Warriors
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #4905 on: August 30, 2018, 05:55:04 PM »
Yellow Magic Orchestra, Naughty Boys   

Yes Pipe, I shall see just how good they are. Now an album of full on synth pop tunes, it feels a bit like songs that would shine best if other artists sang them, seeing as the vocals on this album are...not bad but not the greatest. The tunes though are good, there is plenty of neat stuff going on. "Opened My Eyes" is a fun pop number and "Lotus Love" has too many great sounds. "Kai-Koh" has those amazing sharp keyboards. I wasn't super taken by the album, but it was fine. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZSUEJgM47Q 

Dreams Come True, The Swinging Star 

Three piece jazzy 90's J-Pop group with Sonic 1 & 2's composer Masato Nakamura. This is the album made in the mist of Sonic 2 so it has the song I knew from long ago and had the English version on my PSP in the 2008 days "Sweet Sweet Sweet" which has the same melody as the sad ending theme after the boss battle. I cried to that song when I first beat it on the PS2 Mega Collection when I was like 10 because I was already nostalgic for being like 5 when I first played Sonic 2. Anyway, this album is not anything too amazing. It has a very dated sound and production style. Miwa Yoshida is a formidable vocalist and yes, the basslines are damn cool on here. Musically the rest is a lot of dry horns and pretty bland beats. Only in moments like the bass on "Kessen wa Kinyobi" does it sound Sonic 2. It's a fun album of it's time, a little long, often songs just go on, and nothing too great. "Sweet Sweet Sweet" is great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPjZuLljkXo 

Wednesday Campanella, Zipangu   

The group's first album, a slightly rougher more Hip Hop focused album with less of Superman's fine pop appeal. KOM_I is awesome as ever, with all kinds of neat flows. The production is okay, the instrumentals don't explode like on Superman, it seems there is more focus on KOM_I. There is not much in the way of catchiness, the only moment that stuck out is when she goes "Obi-Wan Kenobi". The album is alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuuUfP4uJEk   

BRADIO, YES 

This group became legends when they did the delightfully unfitting OP of Death Parade that bested the show itself. The group is so funky the singer even has an afro for added powers. This is good fun, funky jazzy tunes with falsetto singing and good 70's vibes with a modern production. "LA PA PARADISE" is the single I knew before that I really liked! This group is really solid, it's not an album loaded with winner after winner, it has down moments, but there is enough fun. BRADIO is a group best as one song in a playlist however. They make killer singles. YES is shorter, to it's benefit. "LA PA PARADISE" is easily the best song, I love the groove and instrumentation as well as the vocals and smooth bassline. BRADIO is always good for funky J-Pop jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1pwM4VcGM 

WANIMA, Are Your Coming? 

Hard hitting J-Rock with fast tempos and high energy. It's decent, melodically sound songs with catchiness and attitude. It's in line with this kind of J-Rock, often I go for girl singers, but this works for a different more aggressive vibe. It's not bad, not something worth re-listening but a good high powered listen. The drummer is a mad lad on these tracks, the whole thing is constant slamming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRaHgQ3yjAo 

The Smithereens, Especially For You 

A decent 80's indie rock type album. It's very poppy and tuneful with jangle elements. It's not my favorite kind of jangle, in fact the guitars are kind of boring. The vocals are good, especially on "In A Lonely Place". I'm pretty indifferent to this kind of music, while it's enjoyable it never reaches the level of becoming anything really good. This album is kind of whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdI-l5aTEaM 

Also listening to the Clashs' debut again, it's really not that good. Give 'Em Enough Rope is so much better in every sense, especially production and tones.

I need to start listening to power metal or something way different, I feel like I've found all the good jangle, post punk and punk music for myself to go mad about. Now this new to me stuff is becoming very boring. I love what I've already gotten into, but finding other stuff is difficult now. J-Pop is ever giving, it never ends. Sometimes I get sick of the ani-stuff, but there is still much to explore like the 80's synth stuff and city pop which I have not gotten into yet. Rock Island showed me new indie can still be good sometimes. I outta look at new stuff more, and well now that Fall is coming it will be metal season anyway. I need some refreshing full on Power Metal, corny stuff about dragons and all.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:01:54 PM by Manimal »

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: September 09, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »
Making a magic Smiths tape on a 60 minute. The Smiths Quick II. The first one I made is a tape I always listen to, so I made another one.

I Want The One I Can't Have
Nowhere Fast
Hand In Glove (Album Ver.)
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
You've Got Everything Now (Hatful Ver.)
Rusholme Ruffians
William, It Was Really Nothing
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle

London
What She Said
Bigmouth Strikes Again
You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby
Accept Yourself
Girl Afraid
Shakespeare's Sister
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Half A Person
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want 

I made a BAND-MAID tape yesterday. Gotta say the band has really snuck up on me. I love them, they take all that's great about Hard Rock/Metal and combine it with melodic J-Rock sensibilities. Saiki is a deadly vocalist and the melodies are so great. The riffs are cool as hell and...they're just the best straight rock band I've heard in a forever. World Domination may end up as my top album of the year, it's really just packed with killer songs. "anemone" shows the band are fantastic at slower tunes as well, Miku is a very impressive composer. The songs follow similar paths but there are some stand out tricks and cool bits that keep things interesting. "Dice" is crazy, all the little changes. It's true what they say, Rock n' Roll never died, it just moved to Japan. BAND-MAID is really fricking good.

I found BAND-MAID in 2015 and I thought they where fine but not outstanding yet, and I liked their previous album, but World Domination really did it for me. I love their visual as well, cool gothic maids, you gotta have a good image to really stick as a band for me, and combine it with excellent tunes. This is where J stuff really nails it. Image matters in music. It's not everything but all the best bands for me have a visual stick to them. Even Bruce though he keeps it simple has that powerful image of the guy who looks like his lyrics sounds with his beat up Tele. Some J stuff gets too gimmicky, but a group like BAND-MAID shows how to combine awesome music with catchy and unique visuals. 

I am very lost musically, my music is completely dead in it's tracks at the moment, I haven't even come up with a start for a new song in 2 weeks or so. I don't know what I can do but I know what I want to do. I want to make a Hard Rock album with jangle guitars and Yui style melodies. But it's hard to come up with a good rock riff without making it so dead simple I don't even bother. I don't know how to even compose good melodies, I want badly to make music like Yui but man that's not something you can suddenly just do. So I keep going on. I want Nirvana out of my music, I like punk of course but there are elements of negative energy I don't want in my stuff. I want to make an awesome guitar album.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:58:18 PM by Manimal »

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: September 13, 2018, 08:16:11 PM »
A playlist with a few normals and some new stuff for me.

BAND-MAID : So, What?
The Smiths : I Don't Owe You Anything
DAOKO : Mercury
Seiko Oomori : Noroi Ha Mizuiro   
Allan Holdsworth : Metal Fatigue
Scott Henderson : Dolemite
Chick Corea Elektric Band : Elektric City
Mike Stern : Little Shoes
Joe Pass : Cloe
Wes Montgomery : D Natural Blues
Grant Green : Mambo Inn
Pat Metheny : Bright Sized Life
Yellow Magic Orchestra : Cosmic Surfin'
Yes : Siberian Khatru
Rush : La Villa Strangiato 

I listened to Bright Sized Life and Close To The Edge earlier today. Daaaaamn Yes is not so bad. What a good album that was, shorter in overall length than I feared with the two long songs being real epics with linking parts that worked well, especially the I get up I get down bit. That last song though is crazy, some really great stuff, and pretty awesome musicianship. Loving all this guitar jazz also, randomly came across Bright Sized Life and it led me to other stuff. Damnit jazz guitar I wish I could play...in any way besides normal rock licks. How cool this all is.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:19:19 PM by Manimal »

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: September 13, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
Bright Size Life is one of the better Metheny projects. The title track is great. Got to see him live and he was pretty great. He's not one of my favorite album artists because he can get a bit corny for my tastes, but he's a great player. Very melodic. Interesting how all of the guitarists on ECM records were very different even though the label is associated with a very strong aesthetic. Check out Ralph Towner and Terje Rypdal for reference.

Also, Wes Montgomery is one of the greats. The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery is where it's at.

And of course Close to the Edge is great. Relayer and Tales From Topographic Oceans are great albums of their too. I guess the next step would be to listen to King Crimson's debut, though it's not my favorite (once they get to Lizard is when I tune in, Lark to Red is best era tho). It's one of the most acclaimed. KC albums have to be purchased tho. They're nowhere to be found in streaming platforms. They're still in print tho, at least.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:49:42 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: September 23, 2018, 02:42:35 PM »
I'll just take a moment to boost up this guy (band?) called Lincoln. I can only find the one EP by him, but it's 16 minutes of the exact kind of music I wish I could have listened to about halfway through college. It really captures that feeling of coming from a small, agrarian place and then getting a taste of the life outside of it and the wider world of adulthood maybe at a fast rate than you were expecting. So that's a mood and a half, and it's probably not the exact thing he was going for when he wrote the songs. But damn it if they don't resonate like that. He sorta reminds me of Manimal in a weird way (especially Post America). Subject matter is different sure, but there's a similar emotion going on.

It's called A Constant State of Ohio. Check it out.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6vEyxIuSDfiR0qIfK7F167?si=UWrpntdVSQKT0pZeVuj76g

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: October 01, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »
A classic October morning quick list. 

The Smiths : I Want The One I Can't Have
Yui : Daydreaming
Scandal : Platform Syndrome
Seiko Oomori : ZOC Jikkensh!tsu
DAOKO : BANG!
AZALEA : LONELY TUNING
Iron Maiden : Children Of The Damned
Megadeth : Addicted To Chaos
The Beatles : Misery
Buddy Holly : It Doesn't Matter Anymore
Utada Hikaru : Hotel Lobby
Perfume : Secret Secret
Chiwa Saitou : Staple Stable
Aya Hirano : White Album
Nana Kitade : Pureness
Paul Stanley : It's Alright
Bruce Springsteen : Candy's Room
BAND-MAID : Decided By Myself     

It's the time of the year for Maiden and Megadeth, who normally sneak back into things throughout the year because they are the two most enduring metal bands for me. Maiden is just top 10 all time love 'em, put on Powerslave and I'm feeling good singing along like "RUN, LIVE TO FLY, FLY TO LIVE, ACE'S HIIIGHHH". Megadeth as well, Countdown and Youthanasia are just the right amount of metal aggression with crafty riffs and amazing tight solos in the context of catchy well put together tunes. Maiden & Megadeth are eternal like I can just keep listening to them and not feel like whatever. Though Megadeth have considerable less albums I listen to, only about 4 go to's (Countdown, Youthanasia, Rust & Peace Sells) and 3 somewhat occasional options (Cryptic Writings, Killing Is My Business, So Far...) where Maiden has about 7-8 go to albums with 4 true full out classics, Powerslave, Number Of The Beast, Seventh Son and Iron Maiden.

You know I find after listening to them for 3 years, The Beatles first era to Beatles For Sale is my favorite because it has the songs I keep going back to. It has the enduring tracks that I just connect with and feel in my soul. It has that classic 50's feel with the nice tunes and melodies. That stuff I never get sick of, like Rubber Soul and all is the best stuff ya but I get the idea, it doesn't get right into my heart of hearts the same way songs like Please Please Me, This Boy, I'll Be Back, No Reply etc. do. The best music is the kind that I want to put on my mixtapes in the car and the kind I don't tire of. Like BAND-MAID who man I just love BAND-MAID the music is soooooo fricking GOOD. The tunes are out of this world and Saiki's steaming hot husky voice is a refreshing change, combined with the very tight music. I fricking love BAND-MAID man holy sh!te they are just too good. January to August I was all about the Smiths, now I'm all about BAND-MAID. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:38:12 AM by Manimal »

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: October 02, 2018, 08:36:42 AM »
Part II of the October morning quick list series.

Ever : Wednesday
Sonic Youth : 'Cross The Breeze
Iron Maiden : Revelations
BAND-MAID : Cross
miwa : Hikari e
Carly Rae Jepsen : Fever
Perfume : The Best Thing
The Beatles : Baby It's You
Megadeth : I Thought I Knew It All
Scandal : Mado Wo Aketara
Snow : Sakasama No Chou
Ac/Dc : Down Payment Blues
Seiko Oomori : Ameda no Koi
Mariko Goto : 4 Gatsu 6 Nichi
Hatsune Miku : Proof Of Existence
AKB48 : Halloween Night 

I never forget how much I still love Ac/Dc but sometimes you need a classic song to come on to really just remember why it is this band connected with me so hard in 2010 and still today. They are enduring because of those classic Bon albums and the whole band coming together for one common vision and style. Powerage is such a stone cold no doubt Rock classic and so are High Voltage, Let There Be Rock and Highway To Hell. Bon Ac/Dc stands high over all other rock for me because it never gets old and it's not overblown and trying to be deep. But with Bon they did hit these great artistic levels and no one in the world could do their style with the same results. There is truly no better rock band than Bon era Ac/Dc, no rock guitarist better than Malcolm Young, I have no doubt in that whatsoever. They where true rock n' roll and no other band is close to what they did on Let There Be Rock and Powerage. This is all the proof you need to back my claims.

When I was younger I would say KISS is my favorite band but Ac/Dc is the best band. I still believe it. My holy trinity of KISS, Ac/Dc and Bruce is untoppable. But you guys know this because I've said it so many times.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:42:40 AM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: October 05, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »
October morning quick list Part III. 

Seiko Oomori : Nama Kill The Time 4 You
Perfume : Plastic Smile
Iron Maiden : Infinite Dreams
9nine : Colourful
Aya Suzaki : Dramatic Market Ride
Buddy Holly : Fool's Paradise
The Beatles : Ask Me Why
Dancing Dolls : Monochrome
AZALEA : Sotsugyou Desu Ne
ClariS : DROP
George Harrison : Apple Scruffs
Megadeth : Elysian Fields
Ac/Dc : Walk All Over You
Ace Frehley : What's On Your Mind?
Hatsune Miku : Sound
Hearts Grow : Kasanaru Kage
Utada Hikaru : Hotel Lobby
BAND-MAID : Daydreaming

Offline Spooky Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: October 07, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »
Revisiting Iron Maiden's "Fear Of The Dark", an album I've only listened to once before.

The last of Bruce Dickinson's first run, Fear Of The Dark is spotty and ranges from awesome to garbage. The best moments are the shorter to the point songs. "Be Quick Or Be Dead" is a quick 'n' cool opener. "From Here To Eternity" is an absolute gem. A total Ac/Dc song, the simplest of Iron Maiden's discography, it has such a catchy chorus and campy video. It's just so fun. I really like "Judas Be My Guide" it gives the late part of the album a well needed kick. "Wasting Love" is almost good, it a little dry in a sense though. Bruce's vocals aren't the best, he got overly Brian Johnson on this and No Prayer For The Dying. The lack of Adrian Smith is always a major flaw also. Janick Gers is okay, and he wrote much for the group however his name is on the most dreadful song Iron Maiden had made to this point, "Weekend Warrior", so...you know.

This is really not a good album. It has moments but overall it's more filler than not. Very uninspired especially in the last act before the title track. "The Apparition" is not so good it sounds so bland like okay let's get this one out of the way. Add "Chains Of Mercy" and you have a second side of no energy or spark until "Judas Be My Guide" kicks in, man I like that song. "JUUDAS MY GUIDE! WHISPERS, IN THE NIGHT! JUUDAS MY GUIDE!". ya and the title track is classic also. Fear Of The Dark has good songs, but it has more bad songs. Despite having such an awesome cover, it's a pretty dull experience overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflrWUzWBkU