October 20, 2019, 04:38:13 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Shame in writing or sharing stories  (Read 2580 times)

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
Re: Shame in writing or sharing stories
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 02:41:38 AM »
Kinda worried that my story would be criticzed since the characters are almost all teenagers including the antagonists and me making the first arc be a slice of life genere and the later arcs being mature and warfare.

Offline Nyxy

• Disciple of the Muses
  • I write what I imagine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
Every story has to have a start, Ive read and loved plenty of stories that started out with teens as the protagonists. I am a huge sailor moon (the original manga) fan I have all the books currently collecting the new editions for their covers.  Usagi Tuskino started out a lazy selfish crybaby and grew into a strong character (in the manga hate the way the anime kept her down).  So trust me there is nothing wrong with having teen protagonists. 
In my mind there are thousands of stories all waiting to be told to others.

http://mangaraiders01.wordpress.com/ Tune in the the MR Cast for all things Manga Raiders.

Offline ravenx2000

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 09:57:51 AM »
back from vacation. So thought a lot about it and laid in lots of groundwork towards storyboarding and scene ideas.

Like I said. It's not particularly I am affraid of critique or feedback, I want it even but I guess just not from friends who don't understand me or what I am doing. I suppose this sounds strange, but to me it feels like walking up to a stranger shoving them a pile of paper in they're hands and say what do you think about this? Maybe it could be a person with zero concern about comic's manga or any other sort of things. Can you expect usable feedback? how do you know what's good or bad feedback if at all. Also can I work with feedback from people with no experience?

Also as Redtea said it's useless when people are being friendly "thinking I don't want to upset her". Not that I would grow upset about critique be it negative or positive. But you can only see the people's faces not what they're thinking.

@samurai
I had strayed aswell back and forth between the ideas of University timeline so 18+ or the high school timeline +15. Problem is with my story it would be most likely better to get in the high school era. But I feel like this is so so much done already that I am irked away from it. However university timeline means that you're characters have more baggage and already most likely had experiences from high school so lots of good stories or arcs or chapters have been lost deepening the characters. Back tripping in to memory might be an option but I dunno feels cheap, but could be well done nontheless. Also it makes it easier to work with "adults" if certain though situation's pop up. hope this helps

P.s

"waves" I know I am young on this forum just wanted to say feels good to be back.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »
well that's exactly one of the reasons MR was founded. As a place for knowledgable people to gather and critique. and trust me you can find plenty of tough reviewers here.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Aoife Pen

• Procrastinate to glory!
  • HeLloo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »
 :blush: When E.L  James book became popular I was kind of thrown off, I've been interested in writing about darker type relationships, but have always hesitated. As time has gone one though I found myself caring less and less, especially with E-books out there people are not as easily shocked as you would think. Often or not  that shame or defensiveness is because writing is something that comes from inside. Its as if your speaking personal thoughts, and often your worried people will assume your really like the flesh eating characters.

Some times you even worry that they'll take your own character, rather than understanding the book is something created.

And like all artist writers are sensitive about their work. Its our own baby, no on likes a stranger to Judge their child. 
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
? Mark Twain, The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain: A Book of Quotations

Offline ravenx2000

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
I think Taboo's if there such a thing.

As demonstrated by EL james is a myth.

People scream heresy but read the *censored* out of it.  :hmm:

But true I am in a process of slowly getting there it seems.

Offline Aoife Pen

• Procrastinate to glory!
  • HeLloo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
Taboo is a nurtured way of thinking. So taboo is a individuals definition.
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
? Mark Twain, The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain: A Book of Quotations

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
Ravenx2000, it sounds like the people you're sharing your work with know you fairly well. Your may have a bit darker tone than you're comfortable with sharing with a stranger, but they should know the background you're writing from. With that bit of context, they ought to be aware that you've probably been exposed to people and situations that are outside the norm. It sounds like there's an awful lot of good stories that you can tell. Don't shy away from them just because they make your personal relationships uncomfortable (Still okay if you decide not to, though).

Besides, subject matter isn't nearly as important as the entire creation. You can have a story about the worst things imaginable as long as it's well-made.

On the other hand, I wonder if the directors of the "Saw" franchise invited their parents to the premier night...