January 20, 2018, 10:16:41 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Japan expo 2012 report  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a giant primary school playground.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
Japan expo 2012 report
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »
Here is my report about Japan expo 2012, the 13th edition.

FIRST PART: the arrival!
School ended last Thursday  at 17h, I was in the train to Paris one hour later. What a way to start holidays!
I had to change twice of train to finally arrive at Paris on Friday at 8h.
As usual, I had to face some tramway/metro/train problems: this year the train arrived 30 min late. Not a big problem since the cosplay show I would attend was  in afternoon.

A whole hall was used for the attending visitors: you would walk in a labyrinth before entering the convention. Contrary to the last years, that system was very well organised: I only had to wait 5 to 10 minutes to enter the festival.

Then you could enter the Graal!

9h30 or 10h00
I didn't have to go through the walking hall on the first day: since I was taking part on a cosplay show, a member of Epic association (organisator of cosplay show) welcomed me and took me directly to the cosplay village. (see the plan of hall 5!)

http://m.japan-expo.com/images/_je/1207/infos_pratiques/planhall5ok.jpg

The cosplay village was on the far end of the big hall 5. I confirmed my cosplay participation and went directly to the changing rooms.

My biggest concern was the safety of my cosplay, especially the props: I had used protective paper to wrap each prop but I was still worried about the damages caused by the travel.
As previewed, some beads had unglued but the crown had suffered more than the rest. I think I will have to remake it for my future conventions. T__T

The big surprise: special changing rooms were reserved for the cosplay show participants. Lots of space, mirrors, food , water , chairs and most importantly, Epic staff to help you.

I will never be enough thankful to those wonderful Epic asso staff members which helped every cosplayer with competence , gentleness and patience. All went well thanks to them!!

PART 2: the cosplay show

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Japan expo 2012 report
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
Every year i'm amazed by that massive set up of a line 0_0

cool that they got such a specialized cosplay staff though. bet that helped tremendously.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:05:57 AM »
Each year it's getting bigger and bigger and losing its original charm. It's been 2 or 3 years I come back home thinking "I won't go next year", each year this idea becomes stronger.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »
well that's depressing :\

course that's the natural progression of things i suppose

Offline Monsterful

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 07:10:40 PM »
That's too bad! :( Hopefully it won't become like other big CONs, like Comic-con, which is pretty much just a huge marketplace.

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »
This is the main problem of Japan expo. It's getting bigger and bigger...like a supermarket, losing its humanity and friendly atmosphere.

PART TWO: SIGNING SESSIONS
This is the first year I went to Japan expo with such a light program. The last five or six years, I had made a program, hour by hour to attend signing sessions, goodies events etc. I knew that program by heart and was running all the time in the convention!

This year, nearly none of that. Nearly none of the special guests were interesting for me, none of the musical guests were interesting for me.  I had hoped that Kalafina would attend Japan expo since there were in Anime expo two weeks before and in Germany some DAYS before but ...no.

The main manga guest was Naoki URASAWA, author of Monster, 20th century boys etc. One of my favorite authors...nearly impossible to meet. 3h to queue to MAYBE get a chance to get a signing session ticket...no. Especially when the visitors with special tickets who give them the possibility to enter the festival one or two hours before the normal visitors have all the time to take all the signing session places.
I stayed away from the signing sessions organised by the festival itself: always badly organised, always impossible to attend....that was a big NO for me.

I prefered to this nightmare the signing sessions organised by editors, especially Kaze and Taifu comics (yaoi). Their system is simple: you buy a book of the author to get a ticket, then you simply wait in the line. It goes quickly, everybody can attend them no matter their ticket and the staff is ultra gentle and organised.

Editor Kaze: I met Rei Toma, a shojo manga author whose style is similar to Fruits Basket manga. The staff gave us drinks, food, sweets and goodies during the waiting line!!!
I got to meet the author and talk to her a little, the staff took pics for me! This was one of the best moment of this convention!

Editor Taifu: very organised staff too!
I got to meet Anna Hollman, a German yaoi author (Stupid Story). I had missed the signing session two or three years ago but not this year!

I refused to attend the signing session by Delcourt editions: you had to buy 3 books to take part on a signing session lottery: it meant that if you got a "sorry you lost" ticket, you had to buy 3 books again to try again...
I may like Natsumi AIDA (Switch Girl) but not to that degree...

I had the luck to meet Shiitake, a fantastic Japanese illustrator on her booth: she was ultra gentle! I bought ten wallapers and two clear files ^o^
Same for Toshio MAEDA (hentai author) who sold autographs in his booth. I got one for one of my friends!

Finally, I got two dedicaces and goodies from two other authors. Little compared to some eyars when I would get 10 dedicaces...

NEXT PART: activities

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:23:57 PM »
That three book thing just sounds rediculous.

though, what is a dedicaces?

Offline Monsterful

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »
Buy 3 books for a RAFFLE? That's beyond absurd!

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »
Oups, seems I used a French word! A dedicace is when an author signs/draws something for you in a book of his own you bought.

The three book system was totally unfair and expensive, especially when other editors do it for free. Taifu, Kaze, Dybex, Ki-oon did it for free!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:42:13 PM »
that is a very loaded word 0_0

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »
Is it because there were less guests? Is it because I didn't like those authors? The fact is that I took more time to relax and go slow than in the last years. I even left the festival earlier than planned and felt no regret at all. T__T

Offline Monsterful

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 04:57:16 PM »
Hopefully it will return to it's original intent in the coming years!

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 05:23:50 PM »
I do not think it will happen! The organisators make the same festival  (in a smaller version) in the South, the Center and in Belgium. They also announced that their next one would be in California!

Money seems to have taken power in that festival: it's like a giant supermarket! It's impossible to know what happens , when in what place because it's way too big with way too many booths.
Last year: 92 000 meters 2.

Offline Tostificer

• Lord Conqueror Toast
  • Bigger they come, harder they fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 07:25:02 AM »
Cory. Go to the Con in Belgium. If you promise me you'll go I'll go too and we can meet up. I'll even cosplay something!
Bros with Legomaestro since 2010. I think.