September 22, 2020, 06:52:07 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Allen's here and Ready To Learn, Please make me your Monkey Boy!  (Read 2157 times)

Offline AllenWake

• I want to be the very Best Like No One Ever WAS!
    • View Profile
01. My Name is Allen please to meet you all

02. Male

03. I found this forum after a late night of crying because I cant draw

04. Currently I am a Wannabe Manga artist, I am a huge Gamer at heart but I reached the point when I want to give games a break and try to develop my artist skills (tough road ahead). I would love to create my own games someday. I have no job right now...just going to community College after going to a trade school for a year...the program was Game Art but that place really sucked...now im going to El camino and going to start my art classes in August.

05. 27 years old will be 28 on New Years!

06. Currently Living in Sunny Redondo Beach CA

07. Your Favorite Manga and Anime: Tough question...Im more into Visiual Novels like Tsukihime, there was a Tsukihime Manga that was really good and the Fate Zero Anime was very well done. Currently have to finish watching but I think are very well done: Yu Yu Hakusho, Panty and Stocking, Avatar, Avatar 2, Samurai Jack, the Girl that Leapt through Time, DBZ, DB, hajime no ippo.
Visual Novels : Tsukihime, Fate/stay night,
Visual Novels I need to finish: Swan Song, Katawa Shojo, A Drug that makes you Dream, Love Plus, Sengoku Rance.

08. Your others interests / Hobbies: Video Games...I play them all Fps, Rts, RPS, SRpg, MMO, handled, Board game, you name it...i have probably played it. Favorite Games (O boy...): Half Life 2 ep1-2, Portal 1-2, Elder Scroll series, FF7, Zelda Wind Waker, RE4, Mass Effect 1-2 (3 was great but man that ending was tough to swallow), 999, phoenix wright 1-3, Metal Gear Solid Series 1-4, bayonetta. I also Play D&D 4th edition, EarthDawn and I want to play Shadow Run.

09. I would love to post my updates on my quest to become really good at drawing manga and I hope to make many friends here that share my passion in trying to get better and be able to create works of art that only we could appreciate! Also it would be nice to be able to draw and still keep my love for games...but ya the time factor pretty much says...you have to Choose one... :(

Offline Zealapeal

• Zealous Artist
  • Anti-Despotist
    • View Profile
Re: Allen's here and Ready To Learn, Please make me your Monkey Boy!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:05:39 PM »
Hey Allen! I'm Mike, your next-door-neighbor-on-the-forums fellow gamer.

Games and drawing is a really cool mix - you really don't have to sacrifice one for the other. Draw one day, game the next, or mix the two into one. I do it, it works for me, and I'm still a student (you're getting back into college, right?). Plus, if you look for creative opportunities in games, you can draw what you get excited about (if you really love Snake, draw him. With a box if you want. "Uhh, Snake, what are you doin'?" "I'm in a box..." "A cardboard box, why are you...?").

Feel free to post any artwork that you've got, a lot of people here are glad to help and critique. You've found one of the most friendly communities on a forum, I assure you.

If you need help, just ask.

Welcome to Manga Raiders, and enjoy your stay.  ;)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:18 PM »
welcome to MR!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »
Welcome dude!

It's good that you realized that you can't draw; that's a step. And there's a simple answer to why you can't and you have to accept it; you just aren't the person that is a good artist, yet. If you want a career in art, work freaking hard. If you want someone to give you a way to start, here, read the Vilppu Drawing Manual. Take your time on the starting lessons, and I mean it. They're extremely important. Do the exercises until you absolutely cannot do them wrong; that's what mastery really is. You can find the book on the internet, for example on 4shared. Also, if you have any opportunities, do draw from life!!!

Enjoy your stay at Mangaraiders  ;). If you want the serious approach to learning to draw, there it is. Once you get everything you can out of this book, if you still want to learn to draw manga, do it then. Don't want to BE like a good manga artist. Want to DO like a good manga artist, and that means doing all the hard work that they had to do to in order to get good.

Online legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »
Welcome to mangaraiders

Offline AllenWake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:57:10 PM »

Games and drawing is a really cool mix - you really don't have to sacrifice one for the other. Draw one day, game the next, or mix the two into one. I do it, it works for me, and I'm still a student (you're getting back into college, right?). Plus, if you look for creative opportunities in games, you can draw what you get excited about (if you really love Snake, draw him. With a box if you want. "Uhh, Snake, what are you doin'?" "I'm in a box..." "A cardboard box, why are you...?").

Feel free to post any artwork that you've got, a lot of people here are glad to help and critique. You've found one of the most friendly communities on a forum, I assure you.

Yo Fellow Gamer, thank god i found the right forum...i have been to a couple other forums and lets just say they didn't really welcome me when I said I wanted to draw Manga...(GTFO you Fing Japanophile or something like that).

About that drawing from Games I like...would you have any advice on how to go about that, should I just draw from a scene in a game i like or would it be better to draw something new? Like Im also a Big Fan of Heavy Rain for PS3 say I wanted to draw Paige for a day what would be the best way to go about it...

Welcome dude!

It's good that you realized that you can't draw; that's a step. And there's a simple answer to why you can't and you have to accept it; you just aren't the person that is a good artist, yet. If you want a career in art, work freaking hard. If you want someone to give you a way to start, here, read the Vilppu Drawing Manual. Take your time on the starting lessons, and I mean it. They're extremely important. Do the exercises until you absolutely cannot do them wrong; that's what mastery really is. You can find the book on the internet, for example on 4shared. Also, if you have any opportunities, do draw from life!!!

Enjoy your stay at Mangaraiders  ;). If you want the serious approach to learning to draw, there it is. Once you get everything you can out of this book, if you still want to learn to draw manga, do it then. Don't want to BE like a good manga artist. Want to DO like a good manga artist, and that means doing all the hard work that they had to do to in order to get good.

Very nice to Meet you too sir. I actually do have that Vilppu book with about 50 other books on how to Draw but I have trouble doing exercises from those books...how are you suppose to use that book? I know the book tells me ways i can draw but how do I practice from that book?

Also I already have a large amount of drawing supplies and my own Drawing table....but I was wondering about getting a Light Box for tracing...I think a light box might help me understand more...but im not sure.

also I would LOVE to get good with Copic Makers..but I have no idea were to start on buying them...they have so many different types...were do i start? And i bet you need special paper for those markers too right?

Thanks Again for the Help guys!!  :D

Offline Zealapeal

• Zealous Artist
  • Anti-Despotist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 08:12:37 PM »
About that drawing from Games I like...would you have any advice on how to go about that, should I just draw from a scene in a game i like or would it be better to draw something new? Like Im also a Big Fan of Heavy Rain for PS3 say I wanted to draw Paige for a day what would be the best way to go about it...

My advice for drawing from games is to find a scene you particularly like and copy that as best as you can. Getting a photo is best - that way it's not moving (derp-statement right there). Feel free to do original artwork as well, I recommend you reference other pictures of that character as much as possible, especially if you're starting out as an artist. Helps with clothing, hair, faces, everything - trust me.

Practice as much as possible. It's like an RPG, the more you perform that skill, the more you train it up. The more you draw, the better you get. Take your time too, it's not a race. Spend time with your drawings, enjoy the process.

Give it a shot, show us your work, and we'll go from there.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »

Yo Fellow Gamer, thank god i found the right forum...i have been to a couple other forums and lets just say they didn't really welcome me when I said I wanted to draw Manga...(GTFO you Fing Japanophile or something like that).

Welcome dude!

Very nice to Meet you too sir. I actually do have that Vilppu book with about 50 other books on how to Draw but I have trouble doing exercises from those books...how are you suppose to use that book? I know the book tells me ways i can draw but how do I practice from that book?

Also I already have a large amount of drawing supplies and my own Drawing table....but I was wondering about getting a Light Box for tracing...I think a light box might help me understand more...but im not sure.

also I would LOVE to get good with Copic Makers..but I have no idea were to start on buying them...they have so many different types...were do i start? And i bet you need special paper for those markers too right?

Thanks Again for the Help guys!!  :D

Well I can help show you how to use the book as I'm currently learning it myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ektQPOQ9HeM&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk84EpHmZKQ&feature=plcp
This guy uses the stuff glen vilppu teaches a lot in his lessons. Practice the exercises. Watch his videos until you believe that you need to know how to draw boxes and circles. And then you draw them over and over until you cannot do it wrong. The first part of the Glen Vilppu drawing manual teaches the basics and gesture drawing. You should spend your whole career doing gesture drawings, as the faster and better you get at them the better your drawings will be. Later on in the book, it shows you how to use those basics to draw the human figure. Everything we see can be made out of simple forms; boxes, circles, cylinders, etc. basically. If you can learn to draw simple forms doing anything, and in any perspective, you can learn to draw anything.

You should also be learning how to draw from life as well while learning from Vilppu; that means stuff around your house and attempts to draw yourself or other people. You just might need to increase your knowledge to understand why exactly Vilppu makes you do the certain things he tells you to do.

Offline Roshon21

• I will obey your every command. ._.
  • "If I am a "Robot," do I eat metal."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
Welcome to MR... :D

Offline takahashi

• keep writing untill you cant write anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »
Welcome to MR. :D

P4

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 09:42:07 PM »
user retired
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:43:38 AM by user retired »

Offline AllenWake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 01:00:45 AM »
Welcome, although I'm not exactly qualified to say that.

With respect to game art, check these out: http://www.youtube.com/FZDSCHOOL

As for Copics, if you've a local arts store, check out what you like. Some people swear by the brush tip, while others prefer the Original nib. Paper's main issue is bleeding. Tracing paper seems to be okay, as is, well, marker paper. I've yet to try bristol board, but apparently that's pretty good too.

Thanks man, i actually seen a lot of FZD videos, very good videos

Any advice on what set of Copic Makers I should start out with? Or maybe a less expensive type of Markers?

Also do any of you guys use Light Boxs? And what size Light box should I use?

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 02:37:20 AM »
Welcome to MR!  ;)
Messatsu...

Offline guigui

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »
Welcome to MR :)

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »
Welcome to Manga Raiders!  :dance: