May 19, 2019, 05:26:39 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: So You've Got Paper and a Pencil - But Do You Have a Ruler?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Zealapeal

• Zealous Artist
  • Anti-Despotist
    • View Profile
While switching back and forth between traditional paper and pencil and the Wacom tablets, I've noticed that paper has a distinct advantage - the ability to use other, hand-held tools such as rulers, compasses, design sheets and miscellaneous objects.

However, I've noticed a few of my friends who are also fellow artists tend to shy away from these tools, as if they are cheating by using them. Being a peer and subject to such pressure, I always drew free-hand to mitigate any potential negative criticism. Beginning to use my sketchpad, having found a new motivation to draw, I realize these tools could have really saved me a lot of struggle in drawing.

So my question is, how many of you use other tools (meaning not paper or pencil) whilst performing your work, and do you recommend it to other artists, both aspiring and accomplished?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
Re: So You've Got Paper and a Pencil - But Do You Have a Ruler?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
Traditional is always the best, if you have the resources. Here in my country, it's hard to look for the right tools. Pencil in complete set costs much. G pen and other inking tools are rare to find and the pen point or pen nib is expensive. Well, rulers are cheaper but the types are limited. I only have a regular sized french curve, some kid-sized diameters and some straight rulers.

Using them is not Cheating as they are the "tools of the trade". Well, unless you have a very steady, accurate and precise view point and hands, then you won't need the use for guide tools. (These people are 1 in 1 billion)

I would recommend traditional if you can afford. Currently, i'm using a cheap tablet to draw and i'm getting the hang of it. (co'z i'm poor and... paper friendly heheheh)

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
Re: So You've Got Paper and a Pencil - But Do You Have a Ruler?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:18:07 PM »
Rulers are alright, it's not hard to draw a good-enough straight line after a lot of practice. Triangles(T-squares) are a bit more helpful so you can get 90 degree angles for panels and they help a lot with drawing backgrounds. I have some circle templates, but I don't need to use them anymore. Although, in making manga pages tools are very important especially for flashes and effect lines. If one's starting out using a grid will help you in copying drawings. Personally I didn't use grids, I just took a lot of time on my copies. Using a straight stick for doing sight-measuring will also help at any level of expertise.