April 16, 2024, 12:50:10 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Aldrich Crescent's Tutorials  (Read 12189 times)

Offline ilikedrawing68

• View Profile
Re: Aldrich Crescent's Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
EDIT:
I use regular "school" erasers, so I guess I'll have to cut them up. I need to buy a new one though, mine are getting really small.

Okay, I'm done with the inking. I took my time and I was very careful, but I still don't like it  :(
I haven't used a fountain pen in years, and I didn't like not being able to correct my lines like I could with the pencil.
Oh well, I hope it's not too bad!

EDIT:

Turned the picture black for clarity.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:45:05 AM by ilikedrawing68 »

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »
It's ok. Hehehe. Now let's proceed to the next step.

We will now do Model Copying. The Model will be the same pic you traced. This time, it's for model use only. Copy it as you see from the pic you traced but all you need to do is a DETAILED sketch. Use Guidelines as much as possible. The lines doesn't need to be clear. Use strokes like there's no tomorrow yet apply light pressure. Use your lightest pencil.

Stroke your lines like your shading... something like this...

Watch carefully your PROPORTIONS, SYMMETRY and MEASUREMENTS. Draw slowly but surely. Concentrate. Use eraser as much as possible if you get errors or something that you believe feels wrong. Don't waste paper by redrawing, just use your eraser until you can't use it no more.

Use free lines, not the hard segmented ones.

Offline ilikedrawing68

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 11:36:51 AM »
I got carried away and did somewhat more than a sketch, I hope it looks okay :D
I used my lightest pencil (4H).
I plan on buying 5H pencils and up when I find some, and a new eraser.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:46:23 AM by ilikedrawing68 »

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
Ok.. looks good. But i see some good strokes and i see some bad strokes. When sketching, your strokes should comprise either Head-Tail (you can do this by: Drop pencil to start a poin - stoke - carry it up while moving) or Tail-tail (Drop while moving - stoke - Carry up while moving). This gives you smoother lines.

Here are some correction with your Model Copying.

1. Eye distance should be one eye length. It's like making 3 connected eyes yet erasing the middle one. Well, we will be doing this on the second session. Heheheh.

2. Face is too wide. Watch out for measurements on hair-to-face and face-to-eyes

3. Some sketch lines are good some are rather rough point to points.

Ok here's something I sketched, (Don't tell anyone coz i'm not supposed to use my right hand for a week.. heheh.. well it's just a doodle anyway, a little exercise wont hurt... right? lol)

So if you have vacant time, keep practicing with the same girl over and over again until you get the same result as the one you traced. Note: Remember the feeling of your hand when you traced her.

Ok. Lets proceed to Step 3: We gonna do Detail Replacing.

Model Copy this Girl

Things to do:

1. Take away hood
2. Replace the hair with any type you want
3. remove eye glasses
4. Modify anything you want but the girl should still like herself and the pose should still be same. Imagine your a wardrobe manager of an idol. You change her appearance yet she will remain herself and people will still recognize her.

Offline Zealapeal

• Zealous Artist
  • Anti-Despotist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 11:54:16 PM »
Excuse me, but if I may quickly intervene to ask a simple question...?

How do you train your skills, Aldrich?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 07:38:09 AM »
@Zeal: Hmmm.. That's a rather complex question hehehehhe. If you want the answer, you'll have to listen at my life's experience.  :biggrin: I was never an artist at first but i am a genius (inspired by hanamichi sakuragi from slam dunk) kekekekekek  :tongue:. I just kept on drawing anything i liked. Before, the only things i drew where the ones i  saw on TV, anime series and such. It started with the first anime i liked which was Dragon Ball (the kid goku). There was a point in my life where i got in a slump (Like what happened to ilikedrawing68 before). And i never wanna draw a single thing. But then i heard a classmate talk about making a story. I was curious and joined them. It was a comic of different anime characters joined together with a different story line. (totally plagiarism) And i was drawin all the characters, i was not the best artist but certainly better than the rest of my classmates at that time. So i kept drawing again (characters such as Kenshin Himura, Yusuke Uramishi, Recca Hanabishi and many more) and practiced with Model Copying which later on developed into Direct Data Imagery Application (as i have seem to memorized what i religiously drew.

When i reached highshool, My dad bought me a Magazine (of which i thought was a coloring book). It's title was "How to draw Manga: Vol 1" Then my eyes opened to the world of Manga. I kept on practicing with manga characters since then and somehow made lotsa original characters.

So how do i train my skills? I dunno lol, i never thought i had skills... hehehehe... But as Naruto has said "There are no shortcuts to be a Hokage..." Therefore it takes time, effort and support to reach your goal on achieving a certain level of mangaka. (unless you are gifted with drawing talents or took art classes)

Note: Model copying and Detail Replacing are training methods i use. They are simple to do and you are free to use varied ideas to achieve the art YOU want (not the art people wanna see).

Let me use an illustration. Newly cut rocks are always edgy, rough and sharp. But if you put those rocks in the beach, as time will pass, it will smoothen. Why? because the water and sand religiously kept rubbing on it. It is same with an amateur artist. At first, his art is rough and not good. But as time will pass by, with constant and religious practice, his art will be smooth and fine.  :blush:

Offline Zealapeal

• Zealous Artist
  • Anti-Despotist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 02:27:54 PM »
Good to know! Looks like I'm on the right track then.  :D Thank you! --- Interesting illustration by the way, but it works.  ;)

Edit: Another question: What is the purpose of the circle when drawing a head? I have NEVER used it in my drawings personally, yet so many artists use it. Is there some secret to it that I don't know about? I keep thinking of these questions one after another, so my apologies there.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:25:45 PM by Zealapeal »

Offline Roshon21

• I will obey your every command. ._.
  • "If I am a "Robot," do I eat metal."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »
@Zeal: Hmmm.. That's a rather complex question hehehehhe. If you want the answer, you'll have to listen at my life's experience.  :biggrin: I was never an artist at first but i am a genius (inspired by hanamichi sakuragi from slam dunk) kekekekekek  :tongue:. I just kept on drawing anything i liked. Before, the only things i drew where the ones i  saw on TV, anime series and such. It started with the first anime i liked which was Dragon Ball (the kid goku). There was a point in my life where i got in a slump (Like what happened to ilikedrawing68 before). And i never wanna draw a single thing. But then i heard a classmate talk about making a story. I was curious and joined them. It was a comic of different anime characters joined together with a different story line. (totally plagiarism) And i was drawin all the characters, i was not the best artist but certainly better than the rest of my classmates at that time. So i kept drawing again (characters such as Kenshin Himura, Yusuke Uramishi, Recca Hanabishi and many more) and practiced with Model Copying which later on developed into Direct Data Imagery Application (as i have seem to memorized what i religiously drew.

When i reached highshool, My dad bought me a Magazine (of which i thought was a coloring book). It's title was "How to draw Manga: Vol 1" Then my eyes opened to the world of Manga. I kept on practicing with manga characters since then and somehow made lotsa original characters.

So how do i train my skills? I dunno lol, i never thought i had skills... hehehehe... But as Naruto has said "There are no shortcuts to be a Hokage..." Therefore it takes time, effort and support to reach your goal on achieving a certain level of mangaka. (unless you are gifted with drawing talents or took art classes)

Note: Model copying and Detail Replacing are training methods i use. They are simple to do and you are free to use varied ideas to achieve the art YOU want (not the art people wanna see).

Let me use an illustration. Newly cut rocks are always edgy, rough and sharp. But if you put those rocks in the beach, as time will pass, it will smoothen. Why? because the water and sand religiously kept rubbing on it. It is same with an amateur artist. At first, his art is rough and not good. But as time will pass by, with constant and religious practice, his art will be smooth and fine.  :blush:
:clapping: really good story same for me anyways...

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 11:26:23 PM »
Edit: Another question: What is the purpose of the circle when drawing a head? I have NEVER used it in my drawings personally, yet so many artists use it. Is there some secret to it that I don't know about? I keep thinking of these questions one after another, so my apologies there.

The Circle is for the head base. Majority of manga artists use this as it is the easiest way to make a frame for the head.

For example:

You make a circle. (sorry if my circle is not perfect lol)

Then make the balance guidelines and draw you character...

Then VIOLA! you now have a drawn character... (It's supposed to be trunks but my hand is way off today)
So that's how you use a circle guide.  :dance:

Offline Zealapeal

• Zealous Artist
  • Anti-Despotist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »
Perfect. That makes sense now. Might have to start implementing that in my drawings.  :clapping:

I wonder if it works for side profiles and other angles?

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 11:39:18 PM »
Circles or egg guidelines for the head generally are used in any perspective of the head. In fact, circles and elipses(which are basic forms) can be used to draw even something as complex as the human body.

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »
Yeah, it will work.

Offline Dumax

• Who stole my Mayonnaise?!
  • (-_-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »
Teacher, I have watched your whole tutorial and it's awesome, looking forward to it.
Are you still doing it? I mean, I want to participate but this topic has stopped for over a year.
If you are willing to continue it, where should I start, the beginning(tracking)? If so, I don't have scanner, so I can only track It on my computer, it would be vertical, is that okay?  :sure:
Sorry if the spelling/grammar not good :read:

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 12:16:06 AM »
Hey there. Well, the "beginning" depends on your current knowledge on drawing manga. We can start from doing sketch dummies to details or grid lines to guide lines.

Well, from this point onwards, i won't be using my original tutorials. I will be referencing some techniques from tutorials made by artists': Ben Dunn, Fred Perry and etc. :D *From the "How to Draw Manga" series"

Offline Dumax

• Who stole my Mayonnaise?!
  • (-_-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »
Thank you. I'm not good at drawing manga, somewhere around at the level of zero, I had this idea to start drawing manga just a week ago, because I tried and its fun. I have some experience with painting/drawing etc. art from my school, but its not so good. I also was drawing manga when i was in second grade, third, something like that, but it wasn't for long. I did few drawings this week myself with second tip which you mentioned(redrawing same picture yourself). I think i could send you those drawings that i draw and those images that I used for copying. I think that's all about me :dance:.So how will it be, Genius?

P.S. It doesn't matter what you use for teacher others, is it originally your tutorial/teachings or someone's else, as long as you are willing to help others its very good  :blush:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:25:19 PM by Dumax »
Sorry if the spelling/grammar not good :read: