April 19, 2024, 07:54:20 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: The last movie you have watched  (Read 198737 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: The last movie you have watched
« Reply #660 on: March 21, 2020, 05:30:34 PM »
I've officially gotten the movie bug. There's something so differently satisfying about movies that I want to watch more of them.

Just watched

-Buster Scruggs

-No Country For Old Men (man the Cohen Brothers are something else. Brutal and Brilliant),

-Marriage Story

-Roman J. Israel.

-The Irishman

-Uncut Gems

Still gathering my thoughts and I'm by no means a movie buff, but I'm a lot more interested in them now.

I'll be lurking in this thread more to see if something catches my fancy.

Also the Bleach Movie was... Wow.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:41:21 PM by legomaestro »

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 23, 2020, 10:31:20 AM »
On The Waterfront

A great classic movie with an excellent story and character arc. Marlon Brando has remarkable presence and outshines everyone with his amazing performance. I loved seeing his character develop and the climax is very satisfying. This one is very much worth seeing and I already want to watch it again.

Laura

A murder mystery starring the beautiful Gene Tierney. Laura has a tight story with a lot of twists. It's shot well and there are many wonderfully framed moments. I might not of been in the right mood for the movie however for I found myself waiting for it to end, even though it was only an hour and a half. It was a good movie though, and the story is easy to follow. Gene Tierney is a delight and I will certainly be watching more movies with her. 

High Sierra

An early Bogart movie that is entertaining but ultimately leaves little impact. He plays a really cold criminal who does acts of kindness with intention to get something back from it. I actually quite liked the soundtrack and thought it added to scenes early on, like when he leaves prison and enjoys the scenery around him that he missed being locked up. The climax was very boring and the car chase went on forever without any real action. I was really only worried about the dog in this movie. High Sierra is...alright. 

Robocop

A surprisingly smart movie with a good satirical edge that reminds me of Network. It's cheesy but not as much as I thought it would be. It certainly has it's funny moments but the story is very good. I thought Robocop himself was cheesy with his line deliveries and slow walk, "there will be...trouble" but then there are moments were you feel for him as he rediscovers his humanity. This movie has a unique feel where it can be cheesy one minute then genuine the next. It passed by so quickly and proved to be very enjoyable with substance. 

Inglourious Basterds

I'm fairly on the fence about Tarantino. While I thought Kill Bill Vol. 1 was an absolutely masterpiece I haven't been taken by his other movies. While I appreciate what makes them unique I find them as more a collection of moments and scenes with a lot of references to other things. This movie has a lot of great scenes like the opening and every part with Brad Pitt, who is a lot of fun here. Certainly not a bad movie but I just felt like I was watching a bunch of well constructed moments more then a whole movie which is what I don't like about Tarantino's movies aside from Kill Bill Vol. 1 which was a very competent and satisfying film. 

Meet The Parents + Meet The Folkers (Rewatch)

Sometimes you need the simple and dumb movies. While these are not great films they are just enjoyment. I don't even find them that funny, but there is something I like about the first movie. Meet The Folkers is more a stupid dated 2000's comedy that relies on silly sex jokes and immaturity. De Niro is really the only reason either film is worth while. He is great in both films and makes up for the extremely mediocre and at times cringy performance of Ben Stiller. Meet The Parents is just feel good fun when you want to watch something simple.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 27, 2020, 10:58:27 AM »
Punch-Drunk Love

A very compelling unique and absolute ride of a movie. Everything is weird in this world and there are so many small details and elements at play. Adam Sandler is excellent in this film his character is such a wreck and the whole movie we witness all these crazy things happening to him. There is style and every character and plot element adds something. There are scenes were we feel his anxieties building and a lot of the dialogue is hilariously tragic. This is a very interesting film that grabs you from the start.

The Wedding Singer

I watched most of this movie before but this is my first time seeing it in full. This is a very enjoyable movie, it's not hilarious but it is a lot of fun to watch. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore are both great in it and you feel their chemistry from the first scene. This must be an early example of extreme 80's nostalgia, which is in one way boring and now extremely overplayed, but the film has enough to offer to look past that. The Wedding Singer offers simple feel good entertainment which is really all I'm looking for in a time like this. 

Bonnie And Clyde 

A classic film about the outlaw. The characters who go against the law and look out for the every man. More so then a retelling of the story of Bonnie & Clyde this is very much a statement and reflection of the late 60's. While they are criminals who kill people you still feel shocked at the remarkable climax. Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty were perfectly cast and both do an amazing job, along with Gene Hackman and a delightfully funny cameo from Gene Wilder. Faye Dunaway has such electricity and is a delight the whole movie. I think Bonnie And Clyde is more an influential and important movie than it is a total classic, but it is still a good watch today. I like the deep south depression era setting. I hated the character of Blanche though, she was extremely annoying. I understand her role in the movie but man she drove me crazy, which was the point but she brought my overall enjoyment down a bit.

The Farewell

A subtle story of family and cultural identity clash. This is a movie with a voice and something personal to express. It doesn't rely on being overly sappy to make you feel for the characters. Awkwafina fit the main character and did pretty well in almost every scene aside from one melodramatic moment with her Mom which sort of showed her limits. Otherwise she was good along with the rest of the cast. It was a good story and there where some pretty cool memorable shots in the movie. I liked the themes it touched on, it's worth checking out. 

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 09, 2020, 02:47:07 PM »
Thief

Absolutely unreal and amazing movie. A highly compelling character story with stunning nighttime cityscape visuals. Michael Mann's attention to detail is insane, each shot is art and the look of the cars, the city and the lights in this movie is crazy. The soundtrack by Tangerine Dream is like Blade Runner. The last act is super intense as you start to care more and more about James Caan's characters. The ending is extremely impactual one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The song at the end was beyond words perfect. My heart was racing. It has similar themes to Heat but this is a more tight story. Frank's story was very compelling and his principals and view of life all comes back at the end like De Niro's character arc in Heat. What a fantastic film! Totally surprised and blown away. 

Midnight Cowboy

A very interesting and sad tale that captures the dirtiness of New York and 60's counterculture. There were so many good scenes and memorable moments. I loved Dustin Hoffman in this movie as a greasy gutter level conman. The connection between Joe Buck and Ratso made this movie. It was a grimmy film that really tapped into something. The LSD party scene was a highlight, it was shot in such a crazy way. The ending got me as well, I knew what was going to happen unfortunately but it was still good. I quite liked this movie.

Twins

This was a super stupid movie that was an extreme good time. The premise was enough. Arnold and Danny DeVito are twins separated at birth. The jokes write themselves. But instead of keeping it simple this movie has an insane subplot with mafia guys, corporate con artists, genetic labs, so much weird stuff that didn't need to be there but added to the zaniness of the film. Arnold was a delight he was so wholesome and funny the whole movie. Every line he delivered was gold. This...might be my favorite role of his just because of how good he made it. DeVito was alright, he's just funny because...he's Danny DeVito that says it all. This was a surprisingly enjoyable movie. I thought it was going to be so bad it was good but it was more...just simply a good zany time. 

The Doors

Biopics always have the same issues. They are always larger than life and super Hollywood more than being an accurate depiction. and when handling someone like Jim Morrison exaggeration is a guarantee. That said this was a fun movie. Oliver Stone uses The Doors to make a trippy movie that's really just sex, drugs & Rock 'n Roll. Val Kilmer gives a pretty good performance, and the fact that he actually sang the songs and sounded THAT good doing it was crazy. Not being overly familiar with The Doors music I couldn't really tell at first. It's a good watch, pretty long but enjoyable.

Also because you know the mood strikes at these times I watched Ace Venture for the first time in forever. This was never a classic movie for me, seeing as I only say it once as a kid and I only remembered the intro sequence because I had a really bad hangnail when I first watched it. The movie is fun. Jim Carrey can be cringy at parts but I just kind of love his delivery and expressions. I thought there were only a couple funny moments, more so I was just amused and entertained. Then Happy Gilmore, I never even watched this movie before. It wasn't very good. Adam Sandler just yelled and beat people up. Haha, I liked The Wedding Singer a lot more but you know you watch movies like this for simple enjoyment and it atleast gave that. It was just too slapstick for me, made it feel to kiddy.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 24, 2021, 07:32:28 PM »
Random movies lately.

Marie Antoinette
I wanted to check out a Sofia Coppola movie and oh, Kirsten Dunst is in this. Okay, I liked her as Mary-Jane when I was a kid so, let's see what this is. I can't say this is my kind of movie but it was atleast interesting. The Post Punk songs in a period piece was the best part for me. The soundtrack in general was great. It was a very nice looking movie. If you want to see great set design and all these fancy shots of outfits, shoes and sweets then this movie is for you. I thought this movie had some good parts but I was a bit bored by the end. I liked it most when it was being a bit silly. Something different to watch.

Catwoman
I was in the mood for something bad. This is actually a really fun movie. It's so stupid and insanely dated, which is what made it enjoyable. There were a lot of scenes where I thought "wow, they made this". It's hilarious. I thought Halle Berry did good with what she was given. She's not Catwoman, as in Selina Kyle. This is really just a movie about a cat woman, they don't even make an effort to tie it into anything else to do with Batman. Although the picture of Michelle Pfeiffer in the historical documents of cat women implies it exists in the same universe as Batman Returns. Okay. The movie makes sense now. I get it.

This is good cheesy 2000's fun. Truly so bad it's good. Though it would of been better without all the CGI (man there is so much) and I think Halle Berry looked better in her first Catwoman outfit. It was more natural and not completely insane. But that's this movie.   

The War With Grandpa
I wanted to watch some cheese and see how low De Niro would go once again. This movie was actually really enjoyable though. It hits all the family movie tropes and there was a certain comfort to that. We have quite a cast here. De Niro fit the role, Uma Thurman was actually really good as the Mom and Christopher Walken was...well himself. There were a couple funny scenes and the rest was just enjoyable fluff. It's so painfully predictable and cliche. I ended up liking this more than I thought I would.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:37:56 PM by Manimal »

Offline sketch survival

• I'm Recovering
  • Alignment
    • View Profile
whatisthis
« Reply #665 on: May 16, 2022, 08:39:05 PM »
Unititled

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 09:43:04 PM by Blank »
hiding who's going to coach me now?