December 12, 2018, 10:00:01 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The last movie you have watched  (Read 55461 times)

Offline Manimal Claus

• God Of Yule & Seasoned Greetings
  • We All Love Santa Christ
    • View Profile
Re: The last movie you have watched
« Reply #615 on: April 21, 2018, 10:45:56 PM »
HBO's 3 hour special Elvis Presley : The Searcher

A documentary built of only old videos & footage with additional footage of Graceland that paints a picture of Elvis' character from the beginning and end of his life. Different people are interviewed to piece together the story, and it tries to present the importance and impact Elvis had, along with how his career decisions affected him, and what motivated and inspired him throughout. For this the movie does, and it's easy to paint an image of Elvis with what is presented. Sort of a tragedy of a good natured kid with a pure love of music who is exploited and milked to death. Unlike other documentaries of the kind, there is no narrator nor video footage of the people like Bruce, Tom Petty etc. who are interviewed. 

It's really only a film for people who like Elvis, it starts kind of boring with a lot of "it was so brilliant" type endless praising. But by the army period things get interesting. There is not a ton of new things to see here, but it's a worthwhile documentary in it's presentation. More dramatic then I thought, and it all anchors around the 68' Comeback Special, climaxing with the incredible performance of "If I Can Dream", one of the most raw and honest things he ever did. Elvis is worth remembering fondly, and I hope he is not written off in the future. The documentary does glance over a few things though to keep with it's narrative of Elvis as a tragic character, but it shows the brilliance of his music when it was brilliant quite well.

I also watched Rumble : The Indians Who Rocked The World

A documentary that goes over native peoples impact on Rock/contemporary music. Focuses on key artists like Redbone, Buffy, Link Wray, Randy Castillo, even Jimi Hendrix. It's an interesting tale that is virtually unknown, there are a couple neat tidbits here and the ways it suggests some traditional native sounds carried over to Rock and Pop. It was a little clumsy I feel, and missed some bands like Blackfoot but you can't have everyone (nothing from Northern Ontario either, although that is nearly as obscure as Canadian music gets). Regardless, it's a good topic to make a documentary on, and trace some roots of Rock n' Roll further then what we commonly know while going over the artist's struggles with their own identity. It makes you think of an element in Rock music that you would have never considered before anyway. Not bad, you may learn a thing or two from watching it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:52:49 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 29, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »
Watched Infinity War last night.

The most impressive thing this movie is make you realize the feat which was pulled off for the last decade. I haven't seen the majority of Marvel movies, not counting Deadpool, nothing since the last Avengers for me (a movie I enjoyed then completely forget about entirely). But what a project, and what a great spectacle it all is. Me and my friend watched Iron Man at the show in 2008, and there we where yesterday watching this movie, it's like man. Makes you think of the time that has passed and the times in your life when the other movies came out, like the first Avengers in 2012 and so on. These are just big super movies, spectacles as I said. This film is just an event, something you would only want to see in a theater. and it's an event that has never been pulled off before.     

It's a good film, enjoyable and with the right tone. You know what you're getting with these movies by now. It's the right time to end things, and for part 1 this is a great way to go out. However the overall quality depends on part 2, and where they decide to go. In short it's a theater movie you watch for the spectacle and cool factor, and because man, they did it. 10 years and they pulled it off.

Spoiler
Now I can imagine some cheap out end where everyone is brought back to life with the gauntlet, even people in the audience where saying "they're just going to come back in the next movie". Still this film does well making you feel the heroes are hopeless. Thanos was done so well, since he appeared so much we had time to understand his character as he laid out his very clear motives. There was impact in his scenes and he was more then some purple raisin man. The Guardians really helped this movie, every scene with them was very enjoyable especially when they met the rest of the cast.   

The scenes on Wakanda where cool as was that wicked Phantom Menace done better fight. Where they're all just running and stuff, I wish it was a little longer. The lack of Hulk was disappointing but I suppose they are saving that for the next part. The Thor axe scene was great, and I like all the planets and setting it presented. Spider-Man was quite good, I still cannot see anyone in the role besides Tobey, not saying he should be playing a high school kid at his age, but you know. 

I think screen time was well split, it felt like a lot of movies at once but it all kind of worked in it's own way. It was good, I just hope part 2 continues much the same. It will really pay off then.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:05:19 PM by Manimal »

Offline TEA

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 07, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
I watched The Ritual (2018). Pretty run of the mill horror movie I guess although it didn't really feel like one ever. It felt more like a thriller. The acting is okay, not great. The story is a bit weak. The creature design is really cool though. I felt like the movie set up a lot of things it didn't really deliver on but I'd watch it for the creature design alone. Not a great movie by any means but not terrible.

By horror movie standards I'd say it's above average.

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 07, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »
Watched Bohemian Rhapsody.   

I didn't intend to but it just kinda happened. It's an enjoyable big Rock 'n Roll biopic, it's a fairly sanitized look at Freddie that gets into some things but never goes too deep or too dramatic. The focus is more on the fabulous character of Freddie, while it does have his struggles it feels like a lot of issues are just kind of simple. Which actually is kind of nice in a movie like this, it doesn't amp up the melodrama or focus too long on some things. It's not going to give you the down and dirty on Freddie and Queen but it does give a fairly enjoyable and by the end inspiration look into his story.

The movie ends on a high note and it's something that focuses more on Freddie's time in Queen then his whole history. Rami Malek does a good job as Freddie, putting on the big show. All the actors looks the part, probably the most amazing part was the Brian May guy's hair, it didn't even look like a wig. In general the performances where good and the movie has a decent tone. It's not super heavy on drama, which is nice in this kind of movie. You have the big character of Freddie and the rocking anthems of Queen over it all. It was pretty cool to hear how great the songs sounded in the theater, it's strange. Out of every rock band Queen likely has the most known and well carried over songs. I don't think even the Beatles have as many songs the generations and average person knows so well. 

The movie is good for a sort of uplifting biopic that focuses on the character and energy of Freddie. It's not a big drama or anything, just a fun movie to watch and enjoy. I kind of dread the tread of biopics this will set, like who the hell asked for an Elton John biopic? Who cares? I know there have always been lots of biopics, and most aren't this enjoyable, but not just any artist warrants one.