November 17, 2017, 02:30:30 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The last movie you have watched  (Read 41848 times)

Online Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
Re: The last movie you have watched
« Reply #600 on: June 20, 2017, 05:12:56 PM »
Watched Bob Dylan : Don't Look Back. 

It's a collection of footage from his 1965 UK tour, shot and pieced together like it's on a Super 8 it goes from scene to scene without any sort of narrative or progression, it's just someone documenting the tour. No one even acknowledges the camera, the whole time not a single person even looks at it. There are many scenes of lengthy banter between Bob and reports, fans, and touring crew.

A group of young girls give him grief for having a band on his at the time recent single Subterranean Homesick Blues. Bob completely destroys someone from Time magazine and goes on a massive rant. There's a greasy moment where the slimy looking manager argues with someone from the BBC for more money. Bob has a tense and confrontation conversation with some random guy and makes him sort of explore his feelings in a way. The best part is when Bob starts yelling over someone who broke a glass or something. There's a room full of people and he's just shouting with his shades on.

The footage can be boring but those conversations and confrontations where very interesting and give you a look into what Bob was like at the time. You see Joan Baez casually be amazing in a hotel room, just playing some songs while Bob sits at a typewriter. Donovan plays some kind of cheesy song and is destroyed when Bob gets the guitar and performs one of his best ever songs It's All Over Now, Baby Blue. It was cool to see this stuff. With Bob and Joan you really feel how great they are at singing when you see these clips. 

There are some concert clips, we see this real human moment of excitement and pay off after the climax where he performs at Royal Albert Hall. Bob at this time was one of the coolest humans alive. He looks effortlessly awesome with his messy hair, black clothes and sunglasses. When he performs with the black and white footage and you only see his face, guitar, hands and such, it's amazing. He is the first person you notice among a swarm of Beatle cuts.

It was a good watch for something so personal and real feeling. Only for those who like Bob however. The 3 hour documentary of his best years up to 1966 is amazing as well. One of the best if not the best music documentaries I've seen.

This shot was amazing to me. Bob just playing alone at the Royal Albert Hall. Everyone in the audience is dead quiet just listening to his words. One of those...no matter what I do in life I will never be as cool as this moments. It's one of those things that makes me question what I'm doing with my music.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 23, 2017, 01:02:59 AM »
Just came back from experiencing Dunkirk. It's was an overall great film. It won't pass many progressive narrative tests but what do you expect from the source material. I watched it in IMAX and I really have to say, 90% of the movie is dependent on the sound. This movie will suck if you watch it at home. Maybe that's why Christopher Nolan said Netflix sucks.

I just don't know if people will get the brotherhood of humanity theme or just process the military should be admired for their bravery like some military movies I've come across.

Seriously no homo, but the blonde Brit pilot, not Tom Hardy, was freaking handsome.

I was expecting to shed some tears, since Nolan movies always somehow do so, but it was a little one this time.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 23, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
Got to see baby driver last night, and let me tell y'all, you really just need to go in expecting it to be a movie length music video, cause that's what it is really. Still very enjoyable to watch though. It has definitely convinced me that Edgar Wrights next movie should just be a straight up musical.

Spoiler
Spoiler time though: there were some real missed opportunities with this plot though. Especially between Baby and Debora. Like, Baby lost his mom at a young age, he goes to a diner where his mother used to work, he meets a woman who looks like his mother, sings like his mother, and calls him Baby just like his mother. He immediately falls in love with her and yet they somehow don't spin it off into an oedipus thing. Perhaps there was a deleted scene, or maybe it was meant to go unspoken, but I felt like they should have at least mentioned it.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 08, 2017, 01:18:51 AM »
I've been watching a lot of Bong Joon-ho lately. He's most known for Snowpiercer and Okja, but I've been watching his Korean-language work which I actually like better. Especially Memories of Murder and Mother.

Online Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 01, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »
I think I've let the Death Note movie sit long enough to develop a conclusion.

So with different adaptations one has to wonder, if it's different is it bad by default? If you watch this hoping to find the anime scene by scene then you will be disgusted as the basic concept and idea of the story is twisted, completely destroyed and crushed under the foot of the America film cliche. This is not even the same genre, it's a horror film basically. One can tell right away when instead of killing criminals with heart attacks we get to watch over the top, silly and completely unnecessary scenes of campy and cheesy violence with blood spraying all over everything. 

So I suppose we shouldn't focus on what changes, because this is different fair enough. We would be here all day if we talked about how Misa Misa was turned into a weirdly emotionless psychopath who has no second thought to encourage the killings after she is shown this weird notebook, how Light completely lacks what makes him Light and how the conflict with L is completely destroyed in the first encounter. Whatever, this film as a film is just okay. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's not very good either.

There is a lot of, I am a character let me tell you my history in one long speech. The drama can be a bit much, and I don't know, it wasn't a great film to look at either. Nothing about the visuals here did anything for me, the camera work was odd with some off putting shots. The casting was...eh. Naked Brothers guy was not great as Light, he delivered his lines really awkwardly. William Dafoe was naturally great as Ryuk, of course he would be. The guy who played L was fine also, this L is a lot more nervous and jumpy it felt like. But the actor got his mannerisms down fairly well.

The choice to use soft 80's pop songs is...just weird. It feels like some strange ironic thing, more puzzling then cool. The big action set pieces where overdone, the big plan at the end was atleast a little Death Note-ish but overall I was left going...whatever. They tried, it feels like there was an effort here to make an American vibe Death Note. It lacked basic understanding of the original and ruined the chance for L and Light to have their showdowns, which was absolutely the best part of Death Note.

ALSO IT WAS SET IN SEATTLE AND THEY DIDN'T USE HEART SHAPED BOX. YOU PRICKS. YOU GET THIS 80'S STUFF BUT DON'T PLAY HEART SHAPED BOX IN A DEATH NOTE MOVIE SET IN SEATTLE. YOU HAD THE BEST CHANCE OF ALL TIME IT WOULD'VE MADE THIS MOVIE A PERFECT 10. I mean you never hear Nirvana music in movies and stuff because Cobain would likely roll in his grave BUT STILL.

So I don't know, I'm not outraged or mad at this film. I think it could've been good but they rushed. It should've been a TV series. I understand they want to make something a general audience will like so they have the violence and the drama and the familiar tropes. But I feel it was not pulled off very well. Putting aside it as Death Note, it is still just a pretty okay film with some flaws.

It's not Dragon Ball Evolution of course.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 01, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »

Online Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 22, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »
Watched The Jerk for the second time, I liked it the first time but it was even better this viewing.

I like the 70's comedies. The Jerk takes it's time and has an interesting structure with a series of seemingly unrelated events that come together in the end. The jokes are creative and Steve Martin, while acting like a goof, does a good job in the role, selling the character well. It's goofy but aside from the owl head moment and cat juggling it's not too much. Comedies of this era really move slower, I like when films have longer shots and aren't so focus on packing in cheap jokes. This movie sets things up and pays them off later. Enjoyable watch.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 22, 2017, 10:54:37 PM »
@manimal

Did you watch it because of Jeopardy or is the world really this small?

Online Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 09, 2017, 10:11:40 PM »
Watched Platoon for a second time

I've seen few war movies, certainly none better then this. A great tale, not of one side versus the other, but of the nature of man itself. The NVA are not the villains of the film, evil instead appears in nearly all the characters. This makes things all the more horrifying. Our main character starts as a volunteer from a rich family of veterans and we watch the influence of the barbaric actions all around take hold of him, and bring out the worst in him. It's just a harsh and brutal story of human nature. The NVA aren't even characters in the film, there is only one scene where we see them talk or plan things out.

It's not a fun movie to watch, the village scene is brutal, and the final conflict is just a big mess. There is no slo-mo and grand music, it's just gun shots, screaming and explosions. The approach is quite well, with a lot of tension in early parts of the movie. The acting is great, with stand out performances across the board. We all know the famous scene where William Dafoe is gunned down, the best moment in the film. But Charlie Sheen is actually really good here, he has a great arc with a lot of ugliness. The lack of music in combat scenes let's you take things in better, as does the overall pacing. An overall great film.

I watched Naked Gun again right before it...hard to think of it much after Platoon. But it is a solid comedy with a lot of fun clever jokes. Though the baseball scene is a bit too long, it's not perfect but enjoyable anyway.

Online Manimal

• Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 04, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »
Rewatched Fubar, still a classic film. One of the best comedies for sure, it's a very effective no budget mockumentary of two very really feeling characters. Two hosers chill out and one of them has cancer in his balls so he gets to enjoy his last weekend with two testicles. It doesn't even seem like either of them are acting, these are the classic drunk headbanger Canadians. So many brilliant moments of improv with the profound line about every year your death anniversary goes by without you knowing it. The acting is really natural and it works to make something really stupid and greatly amusing. So much gold in this movie, the same appeal as early Trailer Park Boys.

What prompted me to rewatch it was the new TV series that started. I don't think it'll last too long, Fubar was really a one time thing. It felt real the first time but now they are overly defined as characters. The idea of them starting the Alberta wildfires is amusing but the internet gimmick is pretty old by this point, not helping with some of the awkward flat jokes. I mean it's 2017, Terry and Deaner don't have Internet at home but the idea of them discovering this magic now is such an early 2000's thing.

Then I was like, I'll rewatch the first Cheech and Chong. Bad idea, it's not a very good movie after all. Poor structure, incompetent narrative and in general a real lack of good jokes. There are bits of giggles here and there but long stretches of staring at the screen going "okay". I know the appeal is to get stoned and chuckle over it, but really it's one of the most effective anti-drug movies there is. As I recall the sequels are no better.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:01:18 PM by Manimal »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 04, 2017, 10:09:43 PM »
Just got back from Thor Ragnarok. Really good film. There's a moment during the climax that gave me legit chills. That's a rare occurrence for me, so I got to recommend this one.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF