April 17, 2024, 08:42:37 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: The last movie you have watched  (Read 198641 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Re: The last movie you have watched
« Reply #585 on: March 13, 2017, 12:03:01 AM »
Yes I read that before watching. Doesn't seem like the most likable of people that guy, get the same vibe from other interviews I've seen. I don't know, it's easy to frame these things in different ways. The home videos speak for themselves in the movie. Naturally just the worst and ugliest ones seem to have benen chosen but who knows. The drama was cranked in parts.

Could it be all bs...who knows. Did Cobain just make up those stories into talk into a tape recorder for fun, maybe. Of course his death conspiracy as well. This movie makes an effort to try debunk that. It's all hazy with strong opinions on both sides, regardless the film shows how badly the sudden success of Nevermind and the tags put on him had an effect.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:17:02 AM by Manimal »

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 13, 2017, 12:17:51 AM »
For sure, he definitely wasn't someone to look up to, and his life wasn't great.

Yeah, despite Lars' musical flaws, he's generally one of the nicer dudes in metal.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 13, 2017, 12:38:59 AM »
I was talking about Buzz in that second line eh. He just seems like a guy who words things strongly. But Kurt ya, the film did well to show he is not some great idol or hero as a person. He just made damn good music at the exact right time. 

But I get it with Kurt. You watch that little guy in a shabby sweater on the Teen Spirit video. By the end he is one of the crowd. I can see how people can find themselves in him because of his expression. People want to find something like that in artists, but it gets taken too far at times. I've met someone who made some comments that really put me off Nirvana for a while. It's unfortunate. I sure am loving Nirvana and such, but I don't hold Kurt in esteem for anything but his incredible music.

Lars just has that odd way of talking to. I certainly don't dislike him, it's just too easy to make fun of him.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:43:05 AM by Manimal »

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 13, 2017, 12:52:15 AM »
No, I know you were talking about Buzz. My second line was addressed to that, how Buzz and a lot of metal people have this overly aggressive rhetoric, where Lars seems like a nice guy. First one was about you talking about how Kurt is sort of idolized, which, yeah, I agree with.

A lot of people look for that in art, but forget that artists are expressing their own thoughts and feelings and not the listener's. With that mindset, either people tend to be influenced far too easily by the art they experience or they sugar-coat an artist's life and work to fit their standards or they reject any artist who doesn't reflect their own beliefs and standards. Kurt himself was especially the kind of artist who wrote for no one else, and made that very clear by alienating people with lyrics and song titles like "I Hate Myself and I Wanna Die." He never meant to be an icon. Courtney Love either.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:54:17 AM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 13, 2017, 01:15:50 AM »
Ah message board struggles.

Good points, Kurt's lyrics where not for a generation at all. He happened to have those classic lines like "here we are now entertain us" but a lot of Nevermind is just word play and whatever the hell. I don't think "The black sheep got black mailed again, forgot to put on the zip code" for instance means a thing, tho it is a good line anyway. Atleast, another artist in that Hot Topic worship pile, John Lennon, wrote for people and seeked that icon status, using his fame to promote good causes. Still John is lumped in with Cobain as a sugar coated artist when he might've done worse things to other people, Kurt just taking it out on himself. Just another t-shirt to our generation in a way, though that comment is a little off base.

I never really thought of that though how some artists like Bruce write for themselves but also in ways others can relate to. His music is built from that connection, which is why I love it so much because I can understand and thrive for something as beautiful as the, well we just have each other, we're not perfect but it's enough, love story in "Thunder Road". But Nirvana is so clearly just Kurt's feelings exploding.

The whole Cobain story is really quite an interesting and depressing tale. It's not wonder the people who where there don't look back on it so fondly. Also I can't listen to "Love Buzz" without thinking of that dude and his hair anymore. It's like the phrasing is, can you feel my love, Buzz?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:19:44 AM by Manimal »

Offline Synctual

• Are You Nasty?
  • Miss Jackson! Miss Jackson! Miss Jackson!
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 14, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »
I just saw Get Out; truly a masterpiece. I have never seen a movie as creative and unique as Get Out. Not only is the message it delivers strong, but the delivery of that message is just mind-blowing. Here I was thinking Jordan Peele was just some funny guy from MadTV and Key & Peele. Now I know that's he's a genius writer and director.

Put This Here To Make You Sad
My Story
Rock Star! (Shonen)

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 02, 2017, 04:55:53 PM »
Watched Ghost In The Shell.

In short, it was good!

I don't remember much of the original, nor did I connect or understand it fully when I saw it. This version certainly made a lot more sense and told the story rather well. The pacing was good and it was a fairly compelling and engaging experience. The visuals where outstanding, completely amazing. There are so many dense and beatiful shots here, such as the night bits and the whole city in general.

Scarlet Johanssen was fantastic as the Major, she looked great and fit the role becoming more human as the film progressed. There was a good balance of action and overall it was something I enjoyed a lot. As someone not as familiar and affectionate towards to original I found it to be just fine.

I would recommend anyone who liked the trailers to see the film. It was worth it for me.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 04, 2017, 12:09:56 AM »
I don't like the fact that GITS only made $19 million box office. Once again, anime doesn't sell in Hollywood.

I just saw Rogue One. Wow, a suicide mission which was actually a suicide mission. I'm so glad I wasn't spoiled before watching the movie. Ending was epic.

My brother said the cheesiest line ever. He wished that Princess Leia would have said, "a new hope" instead of just "hope".

Offline CaptUsopp

• The horizon on the other side.. is what I aim for.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 06, 2017, 12:19:16 AM »
I went and watched Power Rangers with my brother, nephew, and girlfriend last weekend. Have to say, that little blast from the past at the end was awesome.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 20, 2017, 06:46:31 PM »
Just finished watching Alien Covenant. One word review: pretentious. Two word review: already done. Three word review: It's a firecracker. Four word review: slow build, short ending. Five word review: suffers from already established tropes.

Final thoughts: never understood the hype. I think Prometheus was better overall. Too many characters for a monster film. It's easily a free stream movie choice to watch at home.

Funny observations
David pissed in his creator's tea, figuratively.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 25, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »
I Just saw John Wick 2. The movie had a weird something around it. The story was weak but, like my brother said, it's a throwback to early action films. The action was cool, clothes were awesome ( I love suites), character diversity was noticed and appreciated, I like that they actually kill women and not just let them go. The climax was fu----ck----ing awesome. I was like "the John Wick I know will shoot him there" and bang, he did it. I forgot the pencil kill, that was interesting  :-\.

One thing I didn't like was that everyone is an assassin. 

If there is go to be a third movie, I'll watch it.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 03, 2017, 12:18:41 AM »
I saw Life today and i am extremely disappointed. The entire run was boring. The alien concept was your basic premise you would see in any sci fi channel movie. The deaths had no weight.

The ending was unexpected, except i saw it coming.

When i got drunk the other day, i saw Batman Vs Superman and i enjoyed it. My brother said it was the extended version. I wonder what my reaction would have been if i saw what people in theaters saw. I had the same problems everyone and their mother had. Except i didn't really care as much. I was drunk after all.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 10, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »
Just watched Wonder Woman...

Oh my God. They did it. There's a good DC movie again  :o

Great film, it was focused and told the story fairly well (mostly), lots of cool action sequences and Wonder Woman just being really cool. I was unsure from Batman v Superman but Gal Gadot did a remarkable job here, she really sold the role and there was good chemistry between the characters. A good bit of humor to break things up and the general theme of mankind having the choice and everyone fighting their own wars, that was all effective and didn't feel forced or totally rubbed in your face.

There where bits where I found the effects to be a little off putting, but I overall came out of the film with a very good feeling. It was an emotional end and again, it was nice to see a superhero movie that is just about one superhero. I don't watch many movies but it's better then most superhero films I've seen in the last few years, sans Deadpool. Cool super action, decent side characters and an overall focused and enjoyable film. Nice.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:07:53 PM by Manimal »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 11, 2017, 01:07:50 AM »
Got to see Pirates 5 with some guys from work. Definitely not as good as the original trilogy (obviously not as good as the first one). But I think I enjoyed it more than the fourth one. The ghosts actually felt threatening, and it was nice to see some crazy supernatural stuff happening. Not that the last one didn't have it, but it was a lot more tame than straight up pirate hunting ghosts.

It made me realize though, is that what made the first one so good? was the excellent sword fights. They felt real and meaningful, and we're just a joy to watch. Hopefully the series will get back to them at some point.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 16, 2017, 04:20:39 AM »

This is one of my favorite movies. I found out nobody watched it  :thumbsdown:. Box office numbers showed that it was underappreciated. 

Here is the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yzjtnj8Y3U

If you don't have time to be bothered, watch this clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zcrb1ff1xs&t=64s