March 29, 2024, 02:16:43 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: WRITING SURVIVAL!!!  (Read 139115 times)

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
Re: WRITING SURVIAL!!!
« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »
Yeah, it's certainly no joke to keep up the momentum with writing exercises like these. But hey, you did a damn good job of staying fairly consistent during your run. Mad pros, homie! 
Messatsu...

Offline JustHANO

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2018, 06:11:02 PM »
Welp, I'm down for whatever exercise I have to do now for failing. I wish I didn't miss that day tho, this exercise was a really good chance to practice by working on another story. Also tyty

Offline JustHANO

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2018, 03:41:48 PM »
I'm so petty that imma ruleshark the S*** outta this game.
However, you may only lose after having posted your 10th paragraph.
*In my VGDunkey voice* IM BACK BABY

Offline JustHANO

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »
That being said, i won't be losing anytime soon.

Those words struck fear into Emma. The words were moving quicker than before, so Emma panicked as they got closer and closer to the top of the screen where the words cut off. She edited the event as best she could.
He wasted no time raising his rifle and landing his first shot into Shawn's chest. The vest secretly kept Shawn alive as he played dead.
She barely got the sentence on screen before the chance was gone. "It's like DJ said, I have to be quick. If I don't manage to put the period down before it gets cut off, It won't change a thing." Emma focused, reading the story as it sprinted on and off the screen. She was ready to edit where she was needed.

Also imma try to keep it short. TRY

Offline JustHANO

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »
it didn't take long for the main entrance of the bank to fully blossom into the wild west era. The panicked guest were now patrons who was so use to a shootout that they were able to calmly leave. Mr. Baker and his horse jumped the counter where Deshawn's "dead" body lied. Approaching DJ, he grabbed his roped and swung it wildly. The Professor swung the rope at DJ's hands and like magic, they tied him up perfectly. DJ was then dragged along through the tunnel of the vault, that was slowly changing into an old abandoned mine.
 "I'm fine, trust me, God, I'm fine" Claimed DJ as he hit rock after rock.
Trusting in DJ, Emma allowed him to continue being dragged.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: WRITING SURVIVAL!!!
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »
OK let's get into this then. It's weird having no word limit or time limit, and I don't know what the rules are on stream-of-consciousness. Heck, I don't even know what I want to write, but I'm going to try this out. My end goal is to be able to plug in words on my current ongoing projects, but for now I'm getting the engine warm. My first goal: 1 week.

Day 1

There was once a vampire samurai. He'd been bitten by a geisha during a stay at a brothel he probably shouldn't have visited. His Lord would have many questions about the visit itself, and even more now that he was technically undead.

Thankfully, the geisha seemed quite apologetic about the deed. "I usually wait till after business and go out for a drink. I'm sorry."  And explained all the ins and outs of being a nightwalker. The samurai found it extremely inconvenient that he could not go out in daylight nor cross rivers, but he could lie for a while and keep to the castle of his Lord, and he'd never really learnt how to swim. And he could swing his sword faster than the speed of sound.

A good win-loss ratio, in his opinion
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:42:39 AM by legomaestro »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2020, 09:42:03 AM »
wait, we have a writing survival thread?

That is literally the shortest story I have ever read :P
(minus the 6 words story challenge ofc)

So much room for expanding into a full story.

Ugh you're making me want to join............
Well now I know it's here I can direct my energies accordingly. I might join in a month or so. Not sure what form it'll take haha
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2020, 02:57:59 AM »
Also not sure.

Story expansion is my holy grail here. Same with working with outlines. I hope to figure it out. For now  I'm just going to plug away and see what happens.

Day 2

Warrick didn't understand the attentions of the Holy Maiden. She was the greatest seer of the Kingdom. Which not only meant she typically consulted with Kings and Queens (when she allowed their presence), she was from the White Order, the most conservative, fundamentalist religion the Kingdom had. Their crooked 7 star cross was a sign of dread for many other races, and while they didn't exterminate or crusade against scientists like Warrick, they didn't like them all that much.

"What are you doing today, Warrick?"

"Oh, not now please."

He sighed and looked up from the stone wall he'd been studying. He was at the ruins of an old temple that had mysteriously appeared overnight. As a xenoarchaeologist, it was a dream come true. The Order tended to be near such ruins and closed them off from public access. This templed happened to be out of their range, and he was taking the chance to study it as much as he could before any other snoopy eyes caught up to him.

"It's not what you think it is." The Holy Maiden giggled,

"You mean it's not an ancient superstructure left by the original settlers of this planet?"

"Exactly." She chuckled.

Warrick turned and looked at her. He found her quite objectively beautiful. Impressive enough, since she only wore simple orange robes that were worn down, and her hair was unkempt. She just had a radiance about her.

"Well then, why don't you tell me what it is?" He asked

---

Whoops, almost got caught up in the story. I used this prompt by Seventh Sanctum. I guess I'll be generating my synopses
This is a quest tale. The story is about a happy seer who is obsessed with a xenoarcheologist. It takes place in a general store in a dark kingdom. The story begins with an adoration, climaxes with the passing of a test, and ends with an invasion of privacy.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2020, 06:35:55 AM »
Day 3

There are times you realize that there is always a lesser low than the low that you know. This was the moment for Cal Ozark. Sitting on a mattress in the trainstation and feeling just a bit closer to nirvana, he realized his buzz would fade in the next couple of instants, and then he'd have to make his way across the forest that was the city, that exciting, grand valley of opportunity and death.

He needed to remember to avoid Lazlow. Their last meeting hadn't exactly been amicable.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2020, 08:07:30 AM »
Day 4

He tried his best to sink into the crowd. He kept his hair clean cut, he'd never been too good in class, never too bad. He wore regulation uniform and did all his chores and housework on time. Timothy Kurozuka lived his entire life like this, by the book. He wanted to live a completely mediocre life.

Responding to a minor misdemeanour, Timothy raidioed in for some backup as he chased the purse snatcher down the street. He wouldn't get far. The man was quite large, from what he could see, and he could hear him huffing and puffing already. It was going to be easy, routine.

At least that's what he thought, until a meteor landed on the purse snatcher. Timothy blacked out in the explosion and woke up finding his uniform quite burnt, and his skin quite unharmed.

It took him the next couple of hours to figure out he'd gained super strength and flight over night.

His dreams of living and dying as a normal mediocre human being were shattered in that instant. He was now a super cop.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2020, 11:55:12 AM »
nice.
keep it up!
a lot of your story ideas seem to be mixes of different fantasy elements, like super powers or vampires or samurais and stuff. Is that pretty much how you get the idea - "let's mix a X and a Y genre"?
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2020, 08:52:59 PM »
Great job on resurrecting this thing Lego! Hmm... I'm pouring my free writing time into War Arc for now, but I'm definitely interested in trying to get some single paragraph stories together.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2020, 04:16:30 AM »
This is actually my master plan for later Coryn!  I want to regularly write for everything that I want to accomplish, so that my productivity shows up.

Would love to see you hop in once upon a time (that goes for you too, reader/lurker/anonymous ninja/ spam ninja/ bro/ sis)

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2020, 06:09:58 PM »
Day 5

Destroyer

The red lightning ionized the air. It smelt like ozone. His skin flash fried and turned black in the heat. The pain was almost freeing, the energy definitely was.

He pulled at the sword in the stone, the black thing that promised power in all of its grace, and he felt his soul slip out of him into it. He felt the focus. He felt himself turn into a devil.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2020, 04:46:28 PM »
nice.
keep it up!
a lot of your story ideas seem to be mixes of different fantasy elements, like super powers or vampires or samurais and stuff. Is that pretty much how you get the idea - "let's mix a X and a Y genre"?

That's basically it. It's the blood of pulp. Its the essence of all mass production quantity over quality writing in all its beauty. It's the fever swamp of idea generation that turns the idealistic dreamer into a typewriter warrior. And maybe, just maybe after smashing enough concepts together they come up with a gem. And if not a gem, then they have enough discipline to roll with any idea to create a finished product. Yes, a polished turd may still be a turd, but what of a polished pebble? What of a well moulded piece of clay? It may not be as great as a sculpture, but it is something.

or something like that.

Here's my Day 1

Prompt: Gun King

Ten serious men sat in the room with a boy around a large glass table. Outside the large glass windows, they could see the entirety of Checker City. The mega-city glimmered in all its complex brutalistic architecture. Every inch of its sky populated by airships, cruisers and grav lifts.

The men wore suits. The boy wore his highschool uniform. He'd taken the day off for this. He wouldn't miss it for the world.

"Ten Billion credits?"  One man offered. It was the final offer. Three other callers were on the line, and this was the largest offer yet.

The boy, Carl Ozymandius smiled.

He'd worked very hard to come to this point in his life. In an age where the blade was infinitely more useful than superficial projectile weapons, he had risen above mediocrity, put himself university and become a renowned weapon designer.

And now he was selling 10 of those weapons for an exclusive deal with one of the many mercenary security forces in employ across the world.

10 billion credits was enough capital to buy a faster-than-light spacecraft. It was surely enough to continue his research.

---

Okay before I write more I'm ending things here. Something frustrating and fun is happening.

1. The prompt has expanded to the story about a boy genius who becomes a gunmaker in a world where guns have historically fallen out of favour for the sake of magic, telekinetic abilities and swords. He starts arming governments and citizens that feel the pressures of living in such a world, and cuses world wide chaos.

2. The ideas are coming in great, but my narration has no flow. I wish I know what stick figures were for stories, because then I'd have a structure. As things are I can scribble story ideas well, but I have no idea how to draw a head and a body, how to sequentially progress from A to B.

I swear writing used to be so much easier haha