March 29, 2024, 01:05:33 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: SKETCH SURVIVAL!!!!!!!!  (Read 409377 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: SKETCH SURVIVAL!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1410 on: January 17, 2020, 04:11:39 PM »
No I'll probably still reply, but just write less and not check as frequently for new replies. I don't want to ghost the forum I did that for a whole year once XD
Unless you get an early night, an early morning won't go well :P
Nice dynamic piece. Pose and clothes are cool.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: January 18, 2020, 12:47:36 AM »
Day 19: did a 5 minute gesture warmup first. made a huge difference to my speed and general brain power. a good nights sleep might also have contributed.
came out ok.

Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: January 18, 2020, 06:32:24 AM »
Kawaii desu neee.

Wait I feel like I missed the moment you practiced clothing. How long did it take for you to get where you are?

Day 12

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: January 18, 2020, 11:12:22 AM »
I haven't really practiced that much, so it's sort of just guessing and a couple of habits like the generic folds that I put on everything that's got me this far.
As to how long it took to get this far, as you understand time is a real mess when it comes to seeing skill improve, as it's always gradual. Looking back my sketches seemed to get better clothing around 2017, and they haven't really improved since haha.
There's a difference I think between "not being wrong", and "being right". In other words it looks alright but there's nothing technically accurate about it.
There's always huge similarities in folds that are in similar areas, i.e. breasts, groin, armpits, ankles, knees, waist etc. I just draw "generic" folds by habit. I want to get way better.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 11:15:00 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: January 19, 2020, 07:01:19 AM »
There's a difference I think between "not being wrong", and "being right". In other words it looks alright but there's nothing technically accurate about it.

That's a quote for the ages

And I can tell. Looking forward to how things will turn out for sure

Day 13

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: January 19, 2020, 03:31:37 PM »
nice headphones

Day 20:
drew in an absolute blind rage for some reason.
and now I'm angry at how well it came out. (seriously tho I think not focusing on the sketch while doing it led to leaning out of my standard range)
decent time taken.
quality dropped a little but maintained overall quality. as it's a sketch it can suffer a little line degradation.
I'm doing several thumbnails first to try and lean out of my normal pose range and make a more varied interesting piece.

EDIT:
I raged so hard I made a lineart. check out the crazy lace.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 04:06:55 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: January 20, 2020, 12:36:30 AM »
Day 21:

My last one was pretty popular on DA, got 5 favourites :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:40:52 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: January 20, 2020, 06:08:32 PM »
Niiice! And haha angry rage can be surprisingly inspiring sometimes. Like how sassy she looks.

Late upload but didn't miss the day.

Day 14

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: January 21, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »
thanks
I like the lines on that last one.
It's like still sketchy but the lines are super sharp and long.

Day 22: possibly second worst one yet.
I was literally what the helling my way through it. My arms and hands didn't feel like my own. I have never erased so much, I went though about 8 thumbnail sketches, just erasing and trying again. I eventually gave up on the entire piece and just moved on as best as I could. it happens.
It doesn't help that I had a super bad night and I'm tired from work.
Didn't do anything else today. gonna reboot my schedule tomorrow.

That being said I'm optimistic for the future. Gears have been set in motion.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: January 21, 2020, 06:44:57 PM »
Dammit I keep on forgetting to upload. But I did do it on time. Writing Survival I'm out for the count though. Gotta start from Day 1 there again. Welp

Day 15

Two weeks huh. OK

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: January 22, 2020, 05:32:12 AM »
Day 22: possibly second worst one yet.
I was literally what the helling my way through it. My arms and hands didn't feel like my own. I have never erased so much, I went though about 8 thumbnail sketches, just erasing and trying again. I eventually gave up on the entire piece and just moved on as best as I could. it happens.
It doesn't help that I had a super bad night and I'm tired from work.
Didn't do anything else today. gonna reboot my schedule tomorrow.

'Helling my way through it' Sounds like an epic metal song... Or it'd make a nice shirt or something.

Sorry about the suck. You think it's just a general sucky day or was the sleep the thing that made everything worse? Asking out of morbid curiousity.

Keep at it suuper!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: January 22, 2020, 11:34:17 AM »
That's "what the helling my way through it" mind you :P
I think I slightly injured myself lifting heavy things, so my body was sluggish and achy. Plus a bad night not sleeping led to both body and mind not quite up to performance. Even today I'm not great but at least I'm not pulling my hair out.

actually only now that I don't feel like drawing do I realise that I haven't felt like not drawing for absolute ages, I just got used to doing it so i did it. habits ftw I guess.

Still gotta get todays sketch done.
I did some browsing on DA to find some artists styles that I'm gonna steal. Picked 10 so far, all of a similar art style. Not sure how to implement a style shift with all my WIPs in tow. I have some workflow ideas but they weren't meant to be implemented for nearly another year. Might have to bring forward my schedule again. Haven't done my requests for a while now as well.

thanks, ganbarimasu!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:17:39 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: January 22, 2020, 12:52:26 PM »
Day 23: made a good recovery.
getting a bit more control on the quality vs time. Trying to make it a little more sketchy instead of neat, as I will be processing these as WIPs anyway, so I'll get a neat one later on.

@lego - I'm wondering if I should do the same as you and have some pre-done sketches to give me inspiration for my daily sketch. I get the feeling because I try and come up with an idea on the spot that I'm not stretching myself at all, not even inside my comfort zone. Partly related to not knowing what my style is.

Also: if you have an idea for a drawing that outside of your style, how do you draw it? I get the feeling my normal style would interfere.
I definitely think I'm overthinking it :P
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:03:56 PM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: January 22, 2020, 04:11:15 PM »
Haha well for the past 5 days if I didn't have that bunch of characters sketched up I would've lost. All of my other regimens fell away (I'd added some other general ones for my day to day in hope of regimening my life) but this one held strong even on a pretty nasty 2 days. So yeah pre-dones could be lifesavers. I'll see if I can do that for my writing too. Just 5 at a time in case of emergency.

Drawing outside of my style hmmm. Well the last time I actively tried to do that was by looking at one of your sketches and that turned out different at least in terms of line quality. To be honest the best sure-fire method for me is to trace. It's so frustrating that my pride gets in the way, but tracing was honestly the best feeling I got from 'studying' especially when I traced all those Bleach pages. It forced me to work on my line work and though there wasn't a 1-to-1 transfer of Kubos' art skills to mine, I felt like I touched a bit of his spirit of things. It was a fastcinating experience, that tracing regimen. I'd recommend doing that. Grab a page off the internet and put it in gimp then trace the linework. Admit it's a trace to yourself and see how you felt during the whole process.

heck, I'm going to do a tracing regimen again. I really think there's something valuable to learn there.

Day 23 is pretty great! Dress and hat bonnet not only match but have some top notch detail.

You're almost at a month again suuper! Gambateeeeeee

Day 16

Arthur is a cyber warrior who wears an Azilov cloak. Azilovs are sentient parasitic creatures that evolved with this strain of humanity and after 6 years of age permanently bond with their hosts. They consume a percentage of their hosts brain and upon their death severely cripple their human hosts, but until then they enable telepathy, protection, fashion and various other benefits. Arthurs' Azilov in particular is specialized in shielding him from heat and intense impact, and greatly increases his reflexes.

Other warriors have Azilovs that let them breathe in space, others have Azilovs that make them geniuses in mathematics. Other Azilovs just give their hosts great fashion sense. It varies across the galaxy.

Arthurs' laserblade Byzantium is a prototypical attempt at making what we would call lightsabers. It has a laser edge that projects between two ports.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: January 23, 2020, 01:43:23 AM »
Ahhhh glad you managed to keep it going despite not having the best of days (I know what that's like lol)
And indeed goes to show what spreading the mental workload onto previous days can do for helping when you're having a bad one.

Hmmm tracing - I've done it, infrequently, but actually had it on the list to try again. Just to make sure that I have the ability to draw what I want - tracing shows how good your lines are when you are drawing them in the right place. You can indeed learn a whole ton, especially from working zoomed in when tracing.
A tracing regimen is an interesting idea, as it might come in handy for those days when I'm completely not feeling like doing anything.

Regarding drawing images with different styles as well, my WIP processing is incredibly weak against this sort of thing - as it's suited for working on lots of similar images with the same brush and the same layer structure. So say, if I wanted to start drawing animals, I couldn't mix them in very well with people sketches, because the rendering and sketching will follow a different pattern to people sketches (i.e. no clothes or hair iterations, but fur rendering instead) It's one of the things that's annoying me as I think that's partially why I can't lean of my style.

and thanks. now it's only one day until I'm where I was last time and failed dramatically :P

awesome character and concept with the Azilovs. reminds me a little of the "my favourite martian" suit.

Day 24: Possibly one of my most favourite drawings, ever. This is the style I'm aiming for but even more of it, if you get what I mean. well it's a different kind of generic lol.
went hopelessly overtime (mostly because of shading and getting too serious) but totally worth it.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:04:33 AM by suuper-san »