February 23, 2020, 03:48:55 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: SKETCH SURVIVAL!!!!!!!!  (Read 96412 times)

Offline suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
Re: SKETCH SURVIVAL!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1425 on: January 04, 2020, 02:26:15 AM »
Day 5: a bit better. Seems the time spent really does make the difference, but it's hard to control actually putting the time in to get that quality. The sketch just automatically finishes when it does, and then i see the time spent and the quality result. I guess that's to be expected from a quick sketch and my unhoned skills.

I've decided to do the daily sketch first thing because I'm fed up of panicking at the end of the day and as previously, anything can happen once the day starts.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline evand498

• escapism
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: January 04, 2020, 02:40:06 AM »
The drawing is so good. What is this thread about?

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: January 04, 2020, 02:51:41 AM »
Thanks!
This thread is a challenge thread which anyone can join!
You just have to post a drawing every day (no old artworks!), you only lose if you miss a day or stop.
Check the first post for the rules and more information :)
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline Action Animation

• Towards the dream we share.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: January 04, 2020, 06:28:27 PM »
your lines are getting cleaner  ^^ well done, was it a first attempt?
-Action

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: January 05, 2020, 08:51:13 AM »
Thanks! I drew the sketch from nothing in 20 minutes, so I guess you'd call it a first attempt?
But I didn't just draw that on it's own, there's 2 layers of sketches I did first to build up the detail.

edit
Day 6:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:00:25 AM by suuper-san »

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: January 06, 2020, 01:12:00 AM »
Day 7: whoops spent wayyy too long on it. Started out super bad and I was like "I'm not letting this happen!!"
The time was spent disproportionately on a very few small things, like the mouth and legs.
I'm wondering if producing these sketches will become my main output, somehow, like instead of just a sketch, it'll be a full blown piece, every day. we'll see.

I've decided I'm going to post my daily sketch on DA as well, just for something to show, and it might get attention, who knows. Since I'm generating all these sketches, might as well give them a practical purpose as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:23:11 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: January 06, 2020, 07:05:01 AM »
Oh yeah going to DA is definitely the way to go for this sort of thing. Dude your stuff just hit a new stride. Truly amazing to see!

Also totally ninja vanished because all motivation is just *fwip* gone. Like completely haha. I'm going to be attempting this again though, but all in all my art story has hit a major new level of suck. Guh. I was hoping being more positive would fuel me and keep me along for the ride, but alas, it is what it is.

Really loving the linework, and if you upgrade them to a drawing a day that'll be a new level of badass.

Day 1

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: January 06, 2020, 02:22:44 PM »
ahhhh motivation hitting the wall can be a terrible thing. good to see you back!
I think it's a good idea to take a note of the date every time you hit a negative patch, and then when you get over it, so when you hit another bad patch later, you can say to yourself "I've had 6 bad patches and I've gotten over them all, so this one is no different" I have to keep telling myself that when I have really bad inspiration days and all my ideas are awful, that the next day will be better, and if it isn't then the day after that will be better, and eventually, it is :P

and thanks.
my quality varies quite a bit because of the time constraint, but overall I've managed to keep them at a consistent level, which is nice to see. It'll be a while before I make proper artworks regularly because I've got a lot of stuff on every burner at the moment, including the back burners :P
mostly learning and strengthening my core skills and my own style and methods, as always XD

and nice blindfolded swordswoman :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:28:45 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: January 06, 2020, 10:00:03 PM »
Keep at it Lego! I know it always rubs wrong when tbe inspiration falls out of you, but remember how far you've come! You're a long way from the man who rocked up here all those years ago (just don't put a number to them, lol)

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: January 07, 2020, 01:33:18 AM »
Day 8: really annoyed at how long this spent. nearly double my intended time. I'm wondering if I'm still being too ambitious, or I'm trying to add too much detail in. either way, it's an alright piece, but it's taking up a lot of my daily drawing time. I mean it's good practice but I'm not really stretching myself and I'm working at a sketchy quality so I'm not going to get better at the high quality pieces.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: January 07, 2020, 07:44:46 AM »
Day 2

I started with the fleshing out stage way too fast and though I'm okay with the character he lacks so much personality I can't even make up a story for him. Alex the robot. Yes.

Trying new things is the way to go for this sort of self-learning methodology you have. The best thing is you record how bad or good things go so the risks are mitigated. Keep on figuring it out. By the way I haven't appreciated how bad I am at drawing shoes till now haha. You're good at them suuper! Like her dress.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: January 07, 2020, 02:11:21 PM »
Thanks, I actually messed up the dress I was going for plaid but forgot how it worked haha

You'd be surprised at what actually copying photos of shoes a little every now and then does for your knowledge of them. Until I actually tried to copy them I had literally no idea about any of the parts at all. Now I can draw about 5 different types of shoe and chose randomly when sketching. I jumped in quality pretty quickly once I actually figured out how shoes actually worked haha
I have a lot of shoe reference from fashion websites saved up and I try and copy a few here and there :P

as you say, trying out things makes you realize where you're missing skill, so it's essential , even if it's emotionally painful XD

nice robot guy. at least you gave him a name, all my characters are uselessly generic and unnamed (unloved??? I hope not T_T)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: January 07, 2020, 03:17:35 PM »
Who knows Suuper, maybe I you start naming them you'll be more likely to finish them :P

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: January 07, 2020, 04:32:29 PM »
dun dun duuuuuuun XD
at some point I'll work on character descriptions, I promise!!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: January 08, 2020, 04:34:41 AM »
Day 9: had a really bad start to the day, but still drew this before anything else. Interestingly the thumbnail and initial sketch end up being somewhat of a warmup anyway.
Taking wayyy too long for these but I have no idea how to do them faster without dropping the quality. I mean I can shade more simply or colour less things, don't have patterns and stuff, but then the drawing itself becomes too simple.
I also tried flipping my sketch for the middle layer to catch any errors. Personally I don't like flipping the image because I would prefer to be able to catch problems "on my own", without having to look at my drawing mirrored, but for now it's a necessary step I think.
I'd much rather prefer a good sketch than a quick sketch at this point, so it's an acceptable loss :P

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:39:50 AM by suuper-san »