April 18, 2024, 11:45:18 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: MR Vocabulary Journal  (Read 5439 times)

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
MR Vocabulary Journal
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
This topic will be dedicated to helping MR members brush up on their vocabulary. I'll start out with a list of words I learned this week post their definitions as well. Feel Free to post any words that you guys learned as well

Alright Here goes!

Impetuous-  Marked by a sudden force of energy.

Discredit- loss of reputation

Reclusive- Living a very selected or solitary life.

Circuitous-  Having a circular or winding course.

Perfidious- violation of faith.

Assiduous-  steadily attentive.

These are all I have so far. When I learn more, I'll make sure to post them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:16:17 AM by Fronomenal »
Messatsu...

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: MR Vocabulay Journal
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »
Interesting topic, i'm not sure if it will be effective but let's see how it goes. It'll be sure to rack up tonnes of words over time. I didn't know some of the words here, that's for sure.

But one thing... rename the topic. It's 'Vocabulary'. You forgot the 'r' ;)

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
Re: MR Vocabulary Journal
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »
Oh snap I didn't even realized that. Thanks for the heads up lego.
Messatsu...

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:12:38 AM »
Guess the topic still exists.

So really, what's the best way to amass your vocabulary in an active sort of way? Read through a dictionary like a book? The question is getting to me because i've discovered i'm still hovering around the same amount of words that i know, seeing a spelling bee article has made me jealous as hell and I want to improve my english. Any tips?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 07:47:41 AM »
Well strangely enough I expanded mine quite a bit by watching british programming. There can be a quite a difference in word usage between america and the isles, so it's helped me pick up a few things.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 10:51:52 AM »
For vocab, I usually steal words from books, stories, poems, essays.

Mondegreen— the mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase as a result of near-homophony, in a way that gives it a new meaning.

Belligerent— hostile and aggressive

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
My bad kinda forgot about this topic and abandoned it. Didn't seem like it would be necessary to have it. Oh well,
Might as well try to utilize it since it's here.

And about your question lego, I pick up new words from the little things i read like newspaper articles and stuff along those lines. Of course, reading higher level novels and poetry helps me a lot too. Hell, even video games has taught me a couple of fancy words.

And Coryn, besides the internet just where in the world do you find British programming on American television?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:40:11 PM by Fronomenal »
Messatsu...

Offline Maihime

• Shadow~Dancer
  • #F0reverAl0ne...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 01:05:37 AM »
Discombombulate- to disconcert or confuse

Alacrity- speed and willingness

amulgamate- combine

debar- forbid,or ban

myriad- inumerable
waif-a homeless or helpless person

#Imperfection is ×beauty×        ~~~ Madness ~~~ is GENIUS!        And being absolutely RiDiCuLoUs is way >>>>>>> better than being boring...

Offline IronQuill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 06:59:18 AM »
freudenschade - the feeling one gets from watching the pain of others

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
That is definately a word i did not know.

Offline IronQuill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
i messed up, its the "Joy" one gets from watching others pain

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
Huh.. Right...

Was randomly grave digging and found this. Figured I might as well update it.

What you're about to see is a list of words and definitions I copied in a google doc for about a year or so when I was on a reading frenzy. It's been eons since I've looked at it, or recorded any new words in it for that matter. But seeing this topic made me think about it, so maybe, I thought, this could be my self motivation to get back  into the habit. As a heads up, I'm pretty sure you guys are gonna know a lot of these words already.

Spoiler
Word Log

Insoluble: Incapable of being solved. In science: Incapable of being dissolved.

Colloid: A colloid is a solution that has particles ranging between 1 and 1000 nanometers in diameter, yet are still able to remain evenly distributed throughout the solution. These are also known as colloidal dispersions because the substances remain dispersed and do not settle to the bottom of the container.

Phalanx:a group of people or things of a similar type forming a compact body.

Topography: the arrangement of the natural and artificial physical features of an area.

Ominous: giving the impression that something bad or unpleasant is going to happen; threatening; inauspicious.

Vernacular: the language or dialect spoken by the ordinary people in a particular country or region.

Parlance: a particular way of speaking or using words, especially a way common to those with a particular job or interest.

Reductive: tending to present a subject or problem in a simplified form, especially one viewed as crude

Aerosol: a substance enclosed under pressure and able to be released as a fine spray, typically by means of a propellant gas.

Querent: A person who seeks a tarot reading.

Affluence: (especially of a group or area) having a great deal of money; wealthy.

Turbulent: characterized by conflict, disorder, or confusion; not controlled or calm.

Pragmatic: dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations.

Pension: a regular payment made during a person's retirement from an investment fund to which that person or their employer has contributed during their working life.

Conscientious- wishing to do right, especially when doing work thoroughly

Disconcerted- disturb the composure of; unsettle.

Quip- a witty remark.

Ambled- walk or move at a slow, relaxed pace

Ameliorate- make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better. Improve.

Audacious- showing a willingness to take surprisingly bold risks.

Acquiesce- accept something reluctantly but without protest.

Brook- a small stream.

Milquetoast- a person who is timid or submissive.

Glowering- have an angry or sullen look on one's face; scowl.

Scrutiny- critical observation or examination.

Burly- (of a person) large and strong; heavily built.

Perturbe- anxious or unsettled; upset.

Palatable- (of food or drink) pleasant to taste.
(of an action or proposal) acceptable or satisfactory.

Comestible- an item or food. Edible.

Lethargy- lack of energy or enthusiasm.

Glean- extract (Information) from various sources.

Procure- to obtain something especially with care or effort.

Stupefy- to make someone unable to think or feel properly. Shock, astonishment

Despondent- a state of low spirits caused by loss of hope or courage.

Ravenous- extremely hungry.

Voracious- wanting or devouring great quantities of food.
Having a very eager approach to an activity.

Insatiable- (of an appetite or desire) impossible to satisfy.

Wither- shrivel or dry up. To cause harm or damage to.

Concede- admit that something is true or valid after first denying or resisting it. Surrender or give up. Yield.

Anomaly- something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected. Oddity peculiar.

Venerable- accorded a great deal of respect, especially because of age, wisdom, or character.

Philanthropist- a person who seeks to promote the welfare of others, especially by the generous donation of money to good causes.

Gentrification-

Folly- Lack of good sense, foolishness

Tricorn- (of a hat) having a brim turned up on three sides.

Brim- the projecting edge around the bottom of a hat.
(Verb) fill or full to the point of overflowing.

Stupor- a state of near-unconsciousness or insensibility. Daze

Inuit- a member of an indigenous people of northern Canada and parts of Greenland and Alaska.
the family of languages of the Inuit, one of the three branches of the Eskimo-Aleut language family. It is also known, especially to its speakers, as Inuktitut.

Vouchsafe- give or grant (something) to (someone) in a gracious or condescending manner. To reveal or disclose information.

Troth- faith or loyalty when pledged in a solemn agreement or undertaking. Truth.

Proselytize- convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another. To advocate or promote.

Vortice- a whirling mass of water, especially one in which a force of suction operates, as a whirlpool. 2. a whirling mass of air, especially one in the form of a visible column or spiral, as a tornado.

Opulent- ostentatiously rich and luxurious or lavish.

Conspicuous- standing out so as to be clearly visible. Attracting notice or attention.

Apropos- with reference to; concerning. Very appropriate to a particular situation.

Sojourn- a temporary stay.

Sioux- are groups of Native American tribes and First Nations peoples in North America. The term can refer to any ethnic group within the Great Sioux Nation or to any of the nation's many language dialects. The Sioux comprise three major divisions based on language divisions: the Dakota, Lakota, and Nakota.

Consummate- make (a marriage or relationship) complete by having sexual intercourse.
adjective
?käns?m?t/
showing a high degree of skill and flair; complete or perfect.

Circumspect- wary and unwilling to take risks.

Sardonic- grimly mocking or cynical

Artifice- clever or cunning devices or expedients, especially as used to trick or deceive others.

Emotive- arousing or able to arouse intense feeling. expressing a person's feelings rather than being neutrally or objectively descriptive.

Posthumous- occurring, awarded, or appearing after the death of the originator.

Neurosis- a relatively mild mental illness that is not caused by organic disease, involving symptoms of stress (depression, anxiety, obsessive behavior, hypochondria) but not a radical loss of touch with reality.

Thrall- the state of being in someone's power or having great power over someone. Slave, servant or captive.

Rumple- give a creased, ruffled, or disheveled appearance to.

Noir- a genre of crime film or fiction characterized by cynicism, fatalism, and moral ambiguity

Laureate- a person who is honored with an award for outstanding creative or intellectual.

Surrogate- a substitute, especially a person deputizing for another in a specific role or office.
(in the Christian Church) a bishop's deputy who grants marriage licenses.
a judge in charge of probate, inheritance, and guardianship.

Scrupulous- (of a person or process) diligent, thorough, and extremely attentive to details. Very concerned to avoid doing wrong.

Quintessential- representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class.

Doff- to take off or remove.

Pseudonym- a fictitious name, especially one used by an author.

Illicit- forbidden by law, rules or custom.

Blotter- a sheet or pad of blotting paper inserted into a frame and kept on a desk.
NORTH AMERICAN
a temporary recording book, especially a police charge sheet.
"the boys ended up on police blotters for property crimes"

Subvert- undermine the power and authority of (an established system or institution).

Sprightly- full of energy.

Gait- a person's manner of walking.

Leer- look or gaze in an unpleasant, malicious, or lascivious way.

Augment- make (something) greater by adding to it; increase.

Equilibrium- a state in which opposing forces or influences are balanced

Vehement- showing strong feeling; forceful, passionate, or intense.

Enuch- a man who has been castrated, especially (in the past) one employed to guard the women's living areas at an oriental court.
an ineffectual person.

Pervasive- especially of an unwelcome influence or physical effect) spreading widely throughout an area or a group of people.

Furtive- attempting to avoid notice or attention, typically because of guilt or a belief that discovery would lead to trouble; secretive.

Obviate- remove (a need or difficulty. To avoid or prevent.

Castrate- remove the testicles of (a male animal or man).

Ostentatious- characterized by vulgar or pretentious display; designed to impress or attract notice.

Pretentious- attempting to  impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Iridescent- showing luminous colors that seem to change when seen from different angles.

Anathema- something or someone that one vehemently dislikes.

Tout- attempt to sell (something), typically by pestering people in an aggressive or bold manner.

Larded- insert strips of fat or bacon in (meat) before cooking.
embellish (talk or writing) with a variety of expressions.

Ubiquitous- present, appearing, or found everywhere.

Pundit- an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called on to give opinions about it to the public.

Odalisque- a female slave or concubine in a harem, especially one in the seraglio of the sultan of Turkey.

Duplicitous- deceitful. LAW
(of a charge or plea) containing more than one allegation.

Nuptial- of or relating to marriage or weddings.

Rigor mortis- (Latin: rigor "stiffness", mortis "of death"), the third stage of death, is one of the recognizable signs of death, caused by chemical changes in the muscles post mortem, which cause the limbs of the corpse to stiffen.

Laconic- (of a person, speech, or style of writing) using very few words.

Typhoid- an infectious bacterial fever with an eruption of red spots on the chest and abdomen and severe intestinal irritation.

Anonymity- the condition  of being anonymous. lack of outstanding, individual, or unusual features; impersonality.

Deride- express contempt for; ridicule.

Ostracize- exclude (someone) from a society or group.

Volition- the faculty or power of using one's will.

Efficacy- the ability to produce a desired or intended result.

Partition- (especially with reference to a country with separate areas of government) the action or state of dividing or being divided into parts.

Banshee- (in Irish legend) a female spirit whose wailing warns of an impending death in a house.

Herald- an official messenger bringing news.
a person or thing viewed as a sign that something is about to happen.

Seamstress- a woman who sews, especially one who earns her living by sewing.

Seraph- an angelic being, regarded in traditional Christian angelology as belonging to the highest order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy, associated with light, ardor, and purity.

Ardor- enthusiasm or passion.

Morbid- characterized by or appealing to an abnormal and unhealthy interest in disturbing and unpleasant subjects, especially death and disease.
MEDICINE
of the nature of or indicative of disease.

Aggregate-
a whole formed by combining several (typically disparate) elements.

Persephone-In Greek mythology, Persephone (/p??s?f?ni/, per-SEH-f?-nee; Greek: ?????????), also called Kore or Cora (/?k??ri?/; "the maiden"), [n 1] is the daughter of Zeus and the harvest goddess Demeter, and is the queen of the underworld.

Lode- a vein of metal ore in the earth.
a rich source of something.

Spelunking- the exploration of caves, especially as a hobby.

Gregarious- (of a person) fond of company; sociable.
(of animals) living in flocks or loosely organized communities.
(of plants) growing in open clusters or in pure associations.

Shunt- push or pull (a train or part of a train) from the main line to a siding or from one track to another.
provide (an electrical current) with a conductor joining two points of a circuit, through which more or less of the current may be diverted.
noun
an act of pushing or shoving something.

Subterfuge- deceit used in order to achieve one's goal.

Opaque- not able to be seen through; not transparent.

Misanthrope- a person who dislikes humankind and avoids human society.

Caricature-a picture, description, or imitation of a person or thing in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.

Waspish- readily expressing anger or irritation.

Obelisk- a stone pillar, typically having a square or rectangular cross section and a pyramidal top, set up as a monument or landmark.

Oblong- having an elongated shape, as a rectangle or an oval.
an object or flat figure in an elongated rectangle or oval shape.

Utero- In utero is a Latin term literally meaning "in the womb". In biology, the phrase describes the state of an embryo or fetus. In legal contexts, the phrase is used to refer to unborn children. Under common law, unborn children are still considered to exist for property transfer purposes.

Sibyl- a woman in ancient times supposed to utter the oracles and prophecies of a god.
literary
a woman able to foretell the future.

Irascible- having or showing a tendency to be easily angered.

Lambaste- criticize (someone or something) harshly.

Dichotomy- a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different.

Litany- a series of petitions for use in church services or processions, usually recited by the clergy and responded to in a recurring formula by the people.
a tedious recital or repetitive series.

Eponymous-(of a person) giving their name to something.
"the eponymous hero of the novel"
(of a thing) named after a particular person.
"Roseanne's eponymous hit TV series"

Epidemic- a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a community at a particular time.

Endemic- of a disease or condition) regularly found among particular people or in a certain area.
(of a plant or animal) native or restricted to a certain country or area.

Salient- most noticeable or important. (of an animal) standing on its hind legs with the forepaws raised, as if leaping.
noun
a piece of land or section of fortification that juts out to form an angle.

Digress- leave the main subject temporarily in speech or writing.

Despot- a ruler or other person who holds absolute power, typically one who exercises it in a cruel or oppressive way.

Legume- a leguminous plant, especially one grown as a crop.
a seed, pod, or other edible part of a leguminous plant used as food.
BOTANY
the long seedpod of a leguminous plant.

Transglutaminase- a meat glue produced through fermentation of a bacteria that invisibly binds meats scraps together into a larger compound.

Fermentation- the chemical breakdown of a substance by bacteria, yeasts, or other microorganisms, typically involving effervescence and the giving off of heat.
the process of fermentation involved in the making of beer, wine, and liquor, in which sugars are converted to ethyl alcohol.
archaic
agitation; excitement.

Irrigate- supply water to (land or crops) to help growth, typically by means of channels. apply a continuous flow of water or liquid medication to (an organ or wound).

Editorial- adjective
of or relating to the commissioning or preparing of material for publication.
noun.
a newspaper article written by or on behalf of an editor that gives an opinion on a topical issue.

Succinct- (especially of something written or spoken) briefly and clearly expressed.

Nascent- especially of a process or organization) just coming into existence and beginning to display signs of future potential.
CHEMISTRY
(chiefly of hydrogen) freshly generated in a reactive form.

Impetus- the force or energy with which a body moves.

Modicum- a small quantity of a particular thing, especially something considered desirable or valuable.

Furore- an outbreak of public anger or excitement

Ergo- therefore.

Excavator- a person who removes earth carefully and systematically from an archaeological site in order to find buried remains.
a large machine for removing soil from the ground, especially on a building site.

Fetter- a chain or manacle used to restrain a prisoner, typically placed around the ankles. Restrain.

Inexplicable- unable to be explained or accounted for.

Vex- make (someone) feel annoyed, frustrated, or worried, especially with trivial matters.

Inextricable- impossible to disentangle or separate.

Emetic- (of a substance) causing vomiting. a medicine or other substance that causes vomiting.

Reticent- not revealing one's thoughts or feelings readily.

Deference- humble submission and respect.

Sycophant- a person who acts obsequiously toward someone important in order to gain advantage.

Obsequious- obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree.

Spumoni- a kind of ice cream with different colors and flavors in layers, and often made with bits of fruit and nuts.

Saffron- 1.
an orange-yellow flavoring, food coloring, and dye made from the dried stigmas of a crocus.
"saffron buns"
an autumn-flowering crocus with reddish-purple flowers, native to warmer regions of Eurasia. Enormous numbers of flowers are required to produce a small quantity of the large red stigmas used for the spice.

Crocus- a small, spring-flowering plant of the iris family, which grows from a corm and bears bright yellow, purple, or white flowers.

Ganges- 1. a river flowing SE from the Himalayas in N India into the Bay of Bengal: sacred to Hindus. 1550 miles (2495 km) long. ... All the Hindu-cults are here—the Ganges welds them in her holy embrace.

Chary- cautiously or suspiciously reluctant to do something.

Verboten- forbidden, especially by an authority.

Muse- be absorbed in thought

Liturgy- a form or formulary according to which public religious worship, especially Christian worship, is conducted.

Laud- praise (a person or their achievements) highly, especially in a public context.

Throng- a large, densely packed crowd of people or animals.

Intractable- hard to control or deal with.

Slink- move smoothly and quietly with gliding steps, in a stealthy or sensuous manner.

Blithely- showing a casual and cheerful indifference considered to be callous or improper.

Quibble- a slight objection or criticism. (archaic)
a play on words; a pun.

Synagogue- the building where a Jewish assembly or congregation meets for religious worship and instruction.

Paganism- a religion that has many gods or goddesses, considers the earth holy, and does not have a central authority.

Reverberate- (of a loud noise) be repeated several times as an echo. Re-sound Resonate.

Apostle- each of the twelve chief disciples of Jesus Christ.
any important early Christian teacher, especially St. Paul.
noun: apostle; plural noun: apostles
synonyms:   disciple, follower More
the first successful Christian missionary in a country or to a people.

Hagiography- : biography of saints or venerated persons. 2 : idealizing or idolizing biography.

Precipe- a very steep rock face or cliff, typically a tall one.

Consecrate- make or declare (something, typically a church) sacred; dedicate formally to a religious or divine purpose.

Austere- severe or strict in manner, attitude, or appearance.

Monastic- of or relating to monks, nuns, or others living under religious vows, or the buildings in which they live.

Eremitic- noun. 1. a hermit or recluse, especially one under a religious vow.

Vindictive- having or showing a strong or unreasoning desire for revenge.

Antiphon- (in traditional Western Christian liturgy) a short sentence sung or recited before or after a psalm or canticle.

Canticle- a hymn or chant, typically with a biblical text, forming a regular part of a church service.

Lascivious- (of a person, manner, or gesture) feeling or revealing an overt and often offensive sexual desire.

Erroneous- wrong, incorrect

Semantic- relating to meaning in language or logic. of or relating to meaning or arising from distinctions between the meanings of different words or symbols.

Elucidate- make (something) clear; explain.

Egalitarian- of, relating to, or believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.

Eschew- deliberately avoid using, abstain from.

Intrinsic- belonging naturally; essential.

Cognition- the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses. a result of this; a perception, sensation, notion, or intuition.

Gamut- the complete range or scope of something.

Gaudy- extravagantly bright or showy, typically so as to be tasteless.

Nebulous- in the form of a cloud or haze; hazy. Ill-defined.

Pynchonesque- adjective. Characteristic of the style or content of the writings of the novelist Thomas Pynchon, especially in featuring surrealistic irony or fantasy, or in being densely allusive, convoluted, or verbose.

Convoluted- (especially of an argument, story, or sentence) extremely complex and difficult to follow. intricately folded, twisted, or coiled.

Verbose- using or expressed in more words than are needed.

Libidinal- A major contribution of psychoanalysis to human understanding is its explanation of neurotic mental disorders in terms of fixation or regression of the libido. Libido, a Latin term meaning desire, want, amorous desire, is defined as the instinctual sexual energy underlying all mental activity.

encapsulate- enclose (something) in or as if in a capsule.

Lumbar- relating to the lower part of the back.

Placid- not easily upset or excited. calm and peaceful, with little movement or activity.

Commandeer- officially take possession or control of (something), especially for military purposes. take possession of (something) without authority.

Condominium- a building or complex of buildings containing a number of individually owned apartments or houses.

Polymath- a person of wide-ranging knowledge or learning.

Occult- Hidden knowledge. Knowledge of the paranormal and supernatural.

Occultist- the study or belief of mysterious or supernatural phenomena.

Antisemitism- hostility, prejudice, or discrimination against Jews. A person who holds such positions is called an antisemite.

Semitic- relating to or denoting a family of languages that includes Hebrew, Arabic, and Aramaic and certain ancient languages such as Phoenician and Akkadian, constituting the main subgroup of the Afro-Asiatic family

Corollary- a proposition that follows from (and is often appended to) one already proved.

Streamline- make (an organization or system) more efficient and effective by employing faster or simpler working methods.

Empirical: based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.

Erroneous- wrong, incorrect.

Hindsight bias- The tendency  to  think  that  we  could  have  predicted  something  that  has already  occurred  that  we  probably  would  not  have  been  able  to  predict  is called the  hindsight  bias.

Matte: (of a color, paint, or surface) dull and flat, without a shine

Slab: a large, thick, flat piece of stone, concrete, or wood, typically rectangular.

Shoddy: badly made or done.

Ledger: a book or other collection of financial accounts of a particular type.
Messatsu...

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 05:46:21 AM »
For some reason I zeroed in on Hindsight bias haha. Never heard of that one.

A lot of those words roll off the tongue real well but I forget them major quick. Man I wish I was like Aesop Rock. Shakespeare, man, Shakespeare.

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »
What’s funny is that Hindsight bias was a favorite of mine as well. Don’t know why though.

A lot of these I forgotten myself. I used to read over these every day to ensure I wouldn’t forget them. Really gotta re-enforce that habit.
Messatsu...