January 18, 2018, 06:39:06 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Origin Stories!  (Read 8391 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Origin Stories!
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
well if you're here reading this you've probably got a good sense of the MR Canon. if you don't i would seek out the guide located in the general manga writer's discussion board. or follow this link.

http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,4437.0.html

Right. if you haven't guessed at it yet. This is a topic for Raider Origin stories. How you came to be here. There are of course stipulations. According to MR canon (prime verse at least. specify if you're writing for a different verse), we raiders and all other internet users are born on the net. So keep that in mind, we weren't sucked in through our computer screens. but don't let it constrain you horribly. For the most part everything is free game. MR is bordered by the infinite number of dimensions the multiverse theory allows. so the setting you come from is basically up to you. just remember that upon arrival at MR you're still a newb no matter where you came from.

For plot draw on your previous experiences on the net. you're goals, aspirations and challenges before joining MR. Think about when you first arrived here. What was going on, who welcomed you, how you felt about it all. and make sure it's accurate for what actually happened. don't forget who joined around the same time as you or members who have since left but made an impression on you.

just post your chapters here as they come out and i'll organize the stories right here. if you have any questions you want to ask feel free. remember this is for everyone who want's to participate. all forms of medium will be accepted. be it writing to full manga.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:26:42 PM by Coryn »

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
  • Looking for a place to stay...
    • View Profile
Re: Origin Stories!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
So is this basically a bio section or do we have actually write out our stories? I know you was pretty clear about this but I just wanted to make sure.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:23:33 AM »
bio section will remain with the guide. this is for written out stories. a chance to expand upon yourself.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »
I'll definately be doing this one. when time allows. Won't be that long but we'll see. Are you going to be posting yours coryn?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »
at some point hopefully. college is all sorts of hell right now so we'll see. but it's on the to do list.

Offline mangadude

• hey *princess wave*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »
umm if I do a full manga one do i post it here or what :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »
Yeah i was wondering about that we post our chapters here coryn? Like in the fan fic thread?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:52:43 PM »
yeh. think i outlined this already. but yeh. post all of your chapters here. even if it's full manga. i'll organize in OP with link and what not.

Offline mangadude

• hey *princess wave*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:54:39 PM »
cool then im going to strart mine right now!!!

CHA!!!

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
  • Looking for a place to stay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
Hey I joined around in late September. Was there anything going on story wise during that time?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 12:30:07 AM »
can't say. but the beauty of this is that you get to make up some fluff about your entry. within reason at least. you've actually managed to stick around so it's your right.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 06:55:52 AM »
So here's my first chapter. I've written it in the in-universe style, which i know may be confusing, so i'll add some snippets at the end of each chapter as clues to what was actually happening IRL

CHAPTER ONE: PROLOGUE

He was a Surfer. Surfing the infinite waves of the web. As young as he was, he had a lot of luggage and scars: he had been around a lot. Though his surfboard was badly expensive to operate, he made ends meet.
He appeared at his favorite surf spot to begin his journey: G-Falls. This was his latest journey, he had packed up his bags and vacated some places, whilst he simply put his activities on hold in others.
And more importantly, he bid farewell to empty cities and giant corrupt metropolises that promised him Manga and Anime in all its forms...
The thing is, the only conversations he got there were from long abandoned sign posts and discarded newspapers. They were ghost towns... or if not, the towering people overlooked hi, with a surprisingly large population of trolls and other nasty creatures. And the fiery, violent wars... He was tired of all that. It was time to find another place.
If it existed.

Legomaestro was 16 years old. He was optimistic, and covered in a shroud of black. He had no form really apart from his pixelated green cat face. He pushed off and surfed down G-Falls, yelling wildly as he listened to rock n roll.

He asked all the random bots he found in the galaxy, travelling at the speed of thought and searching for yet another place. His surfboard blasted past waters of all colours, suddenly dissapearing in vortexes as he teleported to different streams, occasionally battling the usual bandits of the net from spammers to trolls.
He had the keys to open new dimensions, to create new adventures, and he had the ambition to become much stronger than he was, to gain fame. But he needed a place to help him in this goal. Some place that understood his skills, and where he could train, because he honsetly didn't have any.... The search continued.

He had to rest many times until he bought fuel for his surfboard, kicking it angrily as he had to rest from his search, but it continued, slowly but surely.

Finally he decided to drop in at an Info-Market. It was a place that contained Info-Lounges, where most people's questions were answered on a public screen, and it was one of the many that existed within The Falls. Personally Lego didn't enjoy this particular one, but he admitted, the green color appealed to him.
The bot guide that Legomaestro had hired began getting annoyed when he kept on shaking his head at the suggested Info-Lounges.
"I'm sorry, I know that one too. Actually coming from it just now. Are you absolutely sure there aren't any other lounges around? Different from these?"
The bot sighed, "Honestly mister, there is one. But it is mostly abandoned. You should look for up to date information for goodness sake! You know that-"
"I know how these things work. Comeon, just give me the directions and the rest is up to me."
The bot yielded and gave Legomaestro the last address it had. It left him happily.

Lego passed by the bustling green city, heading deeper and deeper into a more deserted lane. Finally he spotted the place, a short little square building with peeling green paint.
Lego approached the ramshackle building. It hadn't been used in over a year, and time passed very, very fast in this world.
He opened the door, but the handle broke off. He sneezed from the dust as he stepped in, looking around an empty room. There weren't even any bots in there. There was just an old abandoned screen, with a long completed conversation.

Lego approached the screen and read the conversation.

A person named Cassy had asked, "Can anyone refer me to a really good manga/ anime community?"

She continued: "I do have a lot of friends who are fans of manga and anime but I don't always get to talk to them. And I'm bored. Need stimulating conversation. Thanks much."

Lego nodded his head, relating to the feelings. He scrolled through the replies, but his spirits sank as he saw the directions people offered in reply were ones he had already been at. He wrote down one or two names anyways, but then spotted two he hadn't seen before... one of them was-

"Manga... raiders?" Lego shrugged.

He copied down the address, and left the shack.

"That bot might've been right." Lego sighed. "Well, i'll just try it out then. I've heard of some of these other names, and i don't like them. I'll try these two out."

He tried the first on the list. He stopped right at the door. He looked at the bustling metropolis and fell right in with the crowd, studing faces and places. He was intimidated by the gigantic place, but considered joining anyway, but for some reason, he wanted to check out the other place first. Besides, he had seen this kind of community many times before. They always looked so promising but turned out the same. He would check out this MangaRaiders place...

He surfed a little, wondering why he hadn't heard of the place, but discovered that a good number of bots knew the place.

"Good, i thought it was completely unknown or something." Lego chuckled.

His surfer locked on the adress to the MangaRaiders community, and Lego nodded  "Okay, let's go then."  He activated a portal and dissapeared, towards a new destiny.

Commentary

The Info-Lounge

G-Falls

Wars, Trolls: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlameWar

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flamewar

I'd give actual examples of the wars and trolls i was referring to but they make my blood boil >:(

Almost done with my origin story. Next chapter or the one after that. Hope you liked
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:58:16 AM by legomaestro »

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »
neat so far lego! i'm interested to see people's takes on the wider net. definitely want to see what happens once you arrive.

on a technical note. the writing here seemed kinda stale? witch is odd for you. might just be the voice you were using though.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
Haha, yes, i forced this one out and edited quite it a lot. My heart wasn't really in it too.
It's amazing you picked up on that. I'll take things at an easier pace...

but maybe - god forbid - i've lost my touch?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »
i don't think a writer can loose their touch from any thing less than old age and alzheimers. it's just a sine curve worth of highs and lows. with all but the top .5 being writer's block.

oh god i just made a math reference....well. for those who don't know

http://www.math.unh.edu/mac/calc/sine_whole.gif