June 21, 2018, 11:53:59 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Coryn's Saga Arc 3  (Read 11253 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Coryn's Saga Arc 3
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 01:35:13 PM »
Hah, i hear you. I had plans to study after christmas and that's looking more and more ridiculous

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »
Alright! Let's get this ball rolling! Again! this time for real though! I'm full on Arc 3 ready!

you'll need this.

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=6GLg6u7PTQU

KYLE: WAKE

Kyle’s eyes fluttered slightly, the new dawn pouring in through the only half closed blinds.

Yesterday, having been Saturday, coupled with the bright light meant that it could only be

Sunday. And Sunday as always would beget Monday, bringing school along with it. Kyle buried

his face back into the pillow.

Time is a cruel mistress…

It was a well known fact to all high schoolers that time moves twice as fast on the

weekend as it does during the week, especially only three weeks into the fall semester. Equally

well known was that no one does their homework until Sunday, which meant that the weekend,

for all intents and purposes, was already over.

Interrupting Kyle’s string of silent expletives into his pillow was a steady beat of heavy

footsteps coming up the nearby stairs. Raising his head just enough to see, Kyle’s eyes sat even

with the pillow’s surface. Watching from behind his mass of uncombed shaggy hair, Kyle

witnessed Tyler’s dad ascend the last few steps and wordlessly pass his position on the leather

couch. Quickly reaching the other side of the room the stout man banged on the far door,

opening it a second later and yelling at the sole occupant.

“Your friend is up already so haul your ass out of bed so he won’t be bored!”

The career military man had recognized long ago that Kyle always woke up at exactly

9:30am when he stayed the night, which was at least once every weekend, although Kyle had

never liked being scheduled around.

Turning around, Tyler’s father marched back downstairs, mentioning to the still

motionless Kyle that there was juice in the fridge if he felt so inclined.

Tyler himself waited until a full minute after his father’s head had disappeared beneath

the floor to groggily shamble out of his room. In a single orchestrated and well rehearsed motion

Kyle pulled his feet in and righted himself, while Tyler did a mid air stretch as he flopped down onto

the couch. For a moment the two friends just stared at the blank television before them, after a

few moments of ruing the day sunshine was invented Tyler finally reached up and procured the

remote, flipping through channels without ever really looking to see what was on.

Tyler was the first to speak. He put on the atrocious British accent he had been using the

night before after the two had stumbled onto a B rated zombie movie that had been set in

London.

“Your mum pestering you to head home yet?”

Kyle responded in his far superior accent that he had spent years mastering.

“Out of town this week I’m afraid, and Dad don’t care much one way or another.”

Tyler rubbed his short red hair, yawning extra loudly to showcase his annoyance at being

showed up, though continued on anyways.

“Want to head out and get a bite?”

“You know I’m straight broke.”

“I’ll just ask mum for some brass. You know she loves you like a second son.”

“Well get on with it then. I’m starving.”

A few minutes later the two 17 year olds were stepping out onto the front porch of the

two-story home. Squinting their eyes almost completely shut they slowly allowed the sun in as

they started making their way down the street. As usual the Florida humidity was brutal despite

the morning still being relatively early, and over the palm trees they could see the Miami skyline

jutting up into the overwhelmingly blue sky.

Emerging from the 1950’s housing development the friends found themselves stopped at

an intersection finally finding some rest from the morning rush hour, though traffic still flowed

heavily enough to keep them stopped for a full 6 minutes.

Staring at the single cloud that floating on the horizon Kyle spoke without turning his

face from it, keeping his concentration on it while waiting for the light to change.

“It’s always sunny when we wish it would rain, and always raining when we want it to be

sunny.”

“Welcome to the universe my friend. There’s no seating and all the waiters are dicks.”

“What is that even supposed to mean?”

They had dropped the accents and the light had finally changed. Hurrying across the

blazing pavement Kyle thought he could feel his cheap flip flops melting just enough to cause

them to stick with each step.

“I’m saying that nobody really gets what they want out of life. And just cause the universe

doesn’t want to give you what you need on any given day.”

Slowing down Kyle eyed his friend without turning his head to the side, Tyler did the

same and as a result neither could actually see where they were going, though they knew the path

well enough it didn’t really matter.

“Don’t be too pessimistic about it hm?”

“I’m just a realist, what can you do about it?”

“Not much admittedly.”

“See, then we’re in perfect agreement, like always.”

“Now who’s being unrealistic?”

Arriving at a small diner the two hurried inside to escape the heat, quickly securing their

place next to the only free window unit of the eatery’s two. Picking up a menu each they sat with

their faces far too close to the worn cards to read comfortably, continuing to talk as they mulled

over the familiar breakfast choices.

“So let us, for the sake of argument, assume that karma exists.”

“An over reaching force of the entire universe that rewards us for being good and punishes us for

being bad.”

“Let’s look at it as just cause and effect.”

“How is this going to help justify the weather exactly?”

“I’m getting to that Kyle. For instance say you continually curse the sky for not doing what you

want it to, essentially daring the universe to run on your time not its own.”

“Well it just sounds selfish when you say it like that.”

The waitress visited their table for only a few seconds, just long enough to retrieve their

menus and affirm that they would both be having the usual with little more than a nod.

“If the universe works a specific way for you then there will be a lot of other people being put off

by it. You can’t make all of the people happy Kyle.”

“Or could I?”

“I know that tone of voice, it means something maniacal just popped into your mind.”

“I could be like a weather controlling god! A superhero!”

“Or villain.”

Kyle promptly ignored Tyler’s comment. Hopping up and standing on the booth instead.

“Bringing town lighting storms on bank robbers! Trying to assassinate the president? Boom!

Hurricane!”

“Millions in property damage. An army of lawyers to deal with the lawsuits.”

Kyle dropped back down into his seat, spreading both arms across the backrest.

“You’re no fun sometimes.”

“I don’t have to be fun before my morning coffee. It’s in my contract.”

“That stuff will stunt your growth you know.”

“I’m taller than you are.”

“Point taken.

The two sat quietly until their pancakes arrived minutes later. Kyle silently contemplating

a good comeback, then silently cursing himself just as he found one, realizing that the unspoken

time limit for snappy rebounds had long since passed. Tyler meanwhile had spent the entire time

slowly arranging a spoon, two packets of creamer, and the sugar container into the perfect

position. So that when the waitress returned with a coffee mug and full thermos he would be able

to precisely mix his brew within the minimum amount of time possible.

Slapping butter across his neat stack of buttermilk flapjacks Kyle looked back out the

window. Surprisingly the sky was starting to cloud up, and as he tilted his head around, he

realized that in their north bound walk towards the dinner, they had neglected to turn south, and

realize there was a storm gathering itself in the distance.

Tyler broke his concentration, his coffee already blended and brought up to his mouth,

filling his nostrils with steam and aroma.

“Have you finished that English assignment from Friday yet?”

“I’ve spent the whole weekend slumming around with you, what do you think?”

“That was a test. You passed.”

“Liar. You’re just subtly trying to get my help with it.”

“Can’t blame a man for trying.”

“I can blame you for not doing it in the first place though.”

“We’re in the same boat then.”

Kyle sighed, dropping his head down and resting his chin on the table, taking in the sweet

smell of the butter melting on his breakfast.

“I suppose we are. Let’s head to my place after this and knock it out then.”

“Let’s.”

Finally digging into their meals, raindrops began to smack down on the glass panes,

granting them both the reprieve from the sun they had been hoping for.

as you may have guessed from the song choice, was heavily feeling the bakemonogatari vibe while writing this chapter. So the sentence structure and dialogue kinda reflect that. really want to keep a varying feel with this arc. not just the same shounen shounen shounen feel all the time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:49:46 AM by Coryn Sken »

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 01:55:41 PM »
Well my internet was too busy being *censored*ty so i couldn't listen to the song. I could definately see the dialogue aspect though, and i'm amazed. It was definately japanese esque. Bakemonogatari/Durarara/Baccano/Katanagatari style dialogue. I've always wanted to emulate that, and you've pulled it off! Nice!

The chapter title? Am i right in sensing an mspaint reference?

The chapter was definitely interesting, and i rolled with it proper. I was actually suprised it ended like that, and yet it still works as a hook. Very interested in the correlation between the prologue and this chapter.

And did i mention? HELLS YEAHS A NEW CHAPTER FROM CS-ARC3~!!!!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
thanks for all the compliments lego!

if you ever find yourself able to read while listening to the song. it brings a nice pace to the reading.

and the correlation will come in time. expect lots of separate stories for a while.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »
Short of a heart attack I won't be missing out on those.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »
so... how goes the business? of writing an epic saga?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
Not much. well not much physical.

got some more of the essential plot figured out finally after just having some base ideas out there. as per usual the end is coming to me first, so the great "finishing speech" is coming into sharp focus.

really haven't written much of anything i'm afraid though. Last tuesday i did write some stuff for magical girl tama-kun. but alas arc 3 is untouched. it's not like i don't know what to write i'm just so busy that i can't find the mood.

what it boils down to is: Finish the school work>Find the time>Write the story.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »
I see i see.

That reminds me.

TO ECCHIWORLD!!!!!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
So... query. Any chance we'll be getting to know more about the other of The Five in this arc? Or is it all focused on Coryn?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 12:50:23 PM »
No. Everybody is going to be getting a little bit more personal time. being the last of the saga it's important that the reader is left with a sound feeling for each character. so while there won't be much in the way of massive revalations. (saving those for the book of origins anthology) you'll get to be a bit more intimate with them all.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »
Great to hear! I suddenly felt i wanted to know more behind the mysterious personas. I'm a bit satisfied with jack, but i want to know about October and Colt. October mostly.

Oh. I know it betrays my principals, but i just must know! Any chance a vampire hunter has ever been after October??

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »
Not something that's been revealed to me as of yet either. So who knows. Likely though.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »
Your referring to your story being alive to you huh? I miss that feeling. I can't wait to work on something like that as well haha.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »
Socrates believed that all knowledge is contained within you from birth, it's just a matter of remembering it. And really that's what writing this story feels like to me. Like I'm just stumbling across memories. True inspiration is a beautiful thing.

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
  • Looking for a place to stay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 02:12:23 PM »
I remember reading this awhile back. I was so confused. I should have read the other arcs first.