March 29, 2024, 02:02:25 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: ways to get out of writers blocks  (Read 3914 times)

Offline kingwillz

• oh yeah this is deffinately what I look like
  • revenge!!
    • View Profile
ways to get out of writers blocks
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:42:21 AM »
Hey Heyyy ;)

Been a while eh? 8)

Just thought I'd post something in this particular subject coz maybe it may help writers in a rut hopefully

I'm a noob writer and writers blocks are something i get time and time again. I get blocks but fortunately I get out of blocks fairly quickly then its back to cooking! I'm one of those lucky writers i guess.

I made a very short list of things I do while in writers blocks that give me my spark back hopefully it'll help my noob writing buddies

1. (Of Course) Relax... You have probably been writing day after day and you're mentally drained. Save your progress and just do something else for a few days to take your mind off your stress. Play video games, watch anime, read manga, hang out with your friends, give your boyfriend/girlfriend a call set up a date, work out, pet your dog (I could go forever LOL) and most of the time the spark will come back on it's own. This is the first thing I always do.

2. Read over and/or make changes... number 1 didn't work? still at a dead end? maybe because you put your story into a situation where nothing else can happen. take a day or two to read your story over (even if you have like 50+ or 100+ chapters) maybe theres something in the story that you can change or at least change the order of events to make everything flow better. Or maybe you're progress is fine and you just needed to take a second to step outside the story to see what else could possibly happen.

3. Skip ahead... Pass through think of your stories ending maybe it'll help. worked for me a bunch of times.

4. Add a new character... If all else fails for me I just make a rough draft from a new perspective of the story

Okay there you have it :read: hopefully reading this helped you in your block and if not... sorry 8) for vet writers maybe you can post some of your own ways to get out of blocks to help other writers.

have a good day hope I helped :D
You're witnessing one of the future greats!

Offline mangadude

• hey *princess wave*
    • View Profile
Re: ways to get out of writers blocks
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:47:22 AM »
when i try to think of manga ideas i skech random junk and it start forming ideas...

CHA!!
https://www.deviantart.com/elexiceoh/gallery/?catpath=/
my artwork i have made over the years.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:08:28 AM »
agree with most of those except adding a new character. of course if your story isn't thought out enough that you can just add new characters to get rid of a writing block then i guess it doesn't matter.

for me it usually helps to write a short story of some sort. forces my brain to work on something more mundane. and tends to refocus me on the big stuff.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:17:09 AM »
R n R is the hardest but the one which worked the most for me. Also recently realised that brainstorming actually works. Just writing out streams of words and compounding a plot.

On the side of short stories i agree completely. I love writing flash fiction when my head is clogged

Offline kingwillz

• revenge!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:19:06 PM »
Hmm adding a new character worked for me a couple times. Like adding a new antagonist or something. It's not like I add a character just for the sake of it, because then I'm in a writers block with more characters lol. Instead I input the new character in the middle of the story, write rough draft bios, and see if the character can help everything flow better; and then that sparks me up again. So basically It's the same thing you guys are talking about lol
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:21:01 PM by kingwillz »

Offline EvilCommie

• Mad Korean
  • Enjoying madness since 1995
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 02:22:55 AM »
Steaming, hot, coffee. Always works, and maybe with a cookie. No im serious, just go make a cup of cooffee, tea or just pour up some milk. Seriously!

The way the human brain works (For me atleast, have no proof it is human or  rather that it's functioning properly) is that when you start doing something else than writing, for example turning on and preparing the cooffee maker. Your writing & story will still be close in your back head considering making coffee is more or less a routine not requiering much thinking. But since the pressure of the story is lifted a bit  so you'll be able to take in new stuff from your surroundings, or maybe read the paper while you're at it.

^Is mainly gibberish, it made sense when i wrote, not so much when i read it. But i seriously recommend just taking a cup of xxx, suppose it makes me relax too...

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:05:45 AM »
well the biology behind that is when your brain is doing something mundane slash repetitive, it frees up the higher thinking parts of your brain, and since your consciously dealing with the mundane task, you cortex can work in the background on the the more complicated ideal.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
I usually walk around my until i get bored by that time new ideas just flow into my brain. If that doesnt work, i just listen to music and imagine myself doing something that kinda syncs with the music like figthing somebody or running for no reason. I pretty much put myself in random situations in my head and when i do that, i try to find ways to connect  my random situations with the story of my manga. I know its weird but its my best way of getting out of a  writers block. 8)
Messatsu...

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
Lately i've been composing music videos in my head to music. Guess that helps in the creativity process as well.

Offline kingwillz

• revenge!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »
@frono it's not weird at all bro. Same here. Some people think best while moving.

@lego it's a very useful way to picture action scenes. Sometimes I watch AMVs on youtube to see some epic moments in anime sometimes watching others and taking notes can spark you up as well.