September 22, 2018, 01:00:53 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 88946 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1845 on: August 25, 2018, 12:16:23 AM »
Of course! I shall be your Jimminy Cricket.

You have to understand firstly that you can't really write while capital D drunk. You have to amend that to a tipsy. You've got just enough in you to get a feeling going, not enough to really impare your higher functions if you had to buckle down and think something out (psa: don't drink and drive kids!)

So now you're tipsy. What does that mean? Well they don't call it "buzzed" for nothing. Alcohol affects everyone differently from emotional level (hence the different types of 'drunk'), but a buzz is pretty consistent. It's a buzz coming from your brain and your soul. It's like that frantic energy you have when you're a kid and you can't get to sleep on Christmas Eve, except you're also loosened up.

I realize now that I'm making booze sound really appealing, and like any good mind altering substance out species enjoys, that's pretty much true in moderation. Really I think the greatest evil alcohol ever committed was existing at the same time as heavy machinery (psa: read your pill bottle labels kids!) My point being is there is a reason why it's popular. But more power to you for staying away from it. If you can't control it, it can ruin otherwise great men.

So back to the buzz. Basically, you've got this weird energy going on, and you've lowered your inhibitions and chilled out. So, you just take that feeling, and then you channel it. I think the greatest thing is that relaxation when it comes to writing. Alcohol is a downer, chemically speaking. It takes away that nagging voice that makes you worry about every little imperfection, and that can really open you up to getting work done (god, I sound like some 70's professor).

But like I said, it's different for everyone. And every writer has a process. With the editing, well that just comes from years of practice. If you've done a thing a hundred times, you can do it drunk. Drinking isn't like the movies. It doesn't turn you into a different person. It doesn't make you hallucinate either for the record, so don't booze for UFO sightings. It's a slow slide into a slower state of mind. It's like falling into a dream sorta, except you're still awake, and you move funny because you just poisoned yourself.

Because alcohol is literally poison, you see.

Literally.

Poison.

But a dream is probably about right. You know when you have those really real feeling dreams? Obviously it's off, upon retrospect, but in the moment, it's completely real and normal. That's what drunk feels like. Except you're buzzing. And the buzzing is coming from INSIDE YOUR HEAD  :ninja:

Sorry, I'm tired and off track. It's been a long week.

In short: you couldn't quite produce Shakespeare, but you could probably get close. You still need to be sober at some point in the process (at the very least when doing a final proof read), and don't forget that Shakespeare really isn't high brow stuff. It was written for the common masses, which is why it caught on and we still remember it. It's really no different if we find high schoolers of the future reading Joss Wheden or some *censored* from one of those beat up English textbooks.

Oh, and your coworkers are *censored*ing crazy if they think that's even close to appropriate. First: don't mix uppers and downers. That's drugs 101 for Christ's sake. Second: like anything you're new to, you start at the lowest end, and work your way up. Begin with 3.2 beer, gradually increase in quality and alcohol content until you're drinking 150 year old Scotch (or wherever you run out of money. Whichever happens first)

Hope that made any sense at all.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: August 26, 2018, 09:10:15 PM »
Well damn :ohmy

This is pretty much what I figured. Truthfully though, if the smell of alcohol didn't make head hurt I would give drinking an honest shot. Same thing with things like weed. If I don't like the smell of it, I probably won't mess with it.

And my coworkers were joking about the whole starting with four locos thing. Although I'm positive if I ever went to a bar with them (Which I won't ever do), they will probably try to talk me into doing it for the laughs.

Real talk though, If I could get drunk from drinking Kool-aid-- Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn! I would drop a new chapter for a story everyday on here if it had an actual effect on my writing. 
Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: August 26, 2018, 09:20:05 PM »
Well that's the thing about liquor, you can put it in anything.

Yeah, I don't *censored* with weed. The smell bothers me so much. With booze its just so much more...chemical that it doesn't bother me? I don't know. But like I said, more power to you for sticking to your guns.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF