March 28, 2024, 04:46:52 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's Artworks & Illustrations  (Read 307618 times)

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #1470 on: February 04, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »
Nice look with the coloured pencils O: I feel like that's something I could be doing more, coloured traditional stuff.
Cute poses too. Keep it up! owo
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 06, 2020, 02:57:28 AM »
Thanks. I like traditional it's a lot more simple than digital - no layers, so selections, no masks and brush settings, just you and your paper.
I think all your sketches would look fantastic coloured!!

This is my warmup page over the last week, I draw for 5 minutes every morning to calibrate myself and speed up my body from sleepiness. Also for some reason I tend to try out ideas that pop into my head so that's why there's random patterns and sketches too.

I'll post a tutorial for the checkerboard pattern someday.

I'm also learning to use blender with the donut tutorials here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPrnSACiTJ4

This is my work so far. I dont get like even 1% of the tools or workflow, it's a huge leap from sketchup. I wil still use sketchup for things I'm sure but Blender is more for modelling sort of things I think. And animation, which is maybe what I might do, some day :P
I don't even get how to render yet either which is why it's so grey and strange :P

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 02:18:23 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 08, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »
Finally finished a "masterpiece" set of linearts. Note that this is a masterpiece level ink, but not a masterpiece level lineart, as the undersketch was not masterpiece level. what do I mean by masterpiece? who knows :P

Left: a normal lineart I did recently (took 9 minutes)
Right: a masterpiece lineart I also did recently (took 31 minutes)(the kanji was a pain - I can write kanji, but not in brush style lol)

The quality is sort of the same but also sort of different. I hope it's better lol.
Now that I've purged the bad quality sketches my normal linearts are coming out pretty decent now as well. I'm thinking my normal quicker lineart quality is basically my manga quality, as I can't spend a lot of time on each panel or page.

I'm doing 4 linearts a day and 1 masterpiece lineart a day as well. But today is the first day I have actually done my entire daily schedule :P
I'm working on replanning all my goals/plans/projects to work with doing things daily. It's ridiculously productive and effective.
But I have to be patient with my projects now. As always I'm prioritizing core skill over actual project productivity, but sort of trying to combine the two, in other words have skill building sessions that also produce sketches or ideas or concepts that I can work with later.

Edit:
I upgraded my art organizer program to randomly select what I should work on next (i.e. which open-canvas to do a bit more of). I struggle with choosing what to do once I have done a bunch of WIPs or whatever and I think "I have my requests or whatever to do", but also "I don't feel like doing it", and I don't feel like doing anything else because "it's not the right time, I don't feel like it" . often at this point I basically stop drawing for the day. But having the computer chose for me has a powerful disassociation effect and even if it picks one I dont like it's like "oh, well, I suppose I have to do it if the computer has picked it". It takes me out of the equation. I used a similar approach to selecting which WIPs to work on next - I liked them all and so wanted to save them all for later when I was better , but I wont get better unless I actually do some, and so I got gridlocked. But having a random picker works wonders. And as proof of it's effectiveness, I just finished off a page of sketches from an open canvas that I haven't opened in nearly 2 months, just like that, just because the computer picked it. We'll see its long term effectiveness over February.

So the idea is that after I have done my 2 hour daily schedule, I keep picking random canvases and do 15 minutes on each one. The random picker is actually slightly biased to chose ones that I havent worked on in a while, to keep the projects rotating evenly, but still randomly.

And so the program grows haha

If I can just hit that top level efficiency I'll double my work without changing my schedule.
Thinking on what Lego said about planned downtime/rests, I might try putting larger rest sessions into my longer art days (or perhaps even in my normal days), as I seem to run out of mental stamina pretty quickly.
Maybe while resting I'll browse through inspirational artworks that I have saved to push up my short term visual library or something. Or just plain sleep for 45 minutes. I'm leaning a bit more into referencing work and stuff now, stealing ideas and concepts a bit more freely than before. But I've got plenty of my own ideas anyway.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:28:20 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 09, 2020, 11:34:24 PM »
Those lines are clean looking yo O-O I can certainly tell the difference between the 9min and the 31 min.
Especially like the hair end tapers and how there's a wider range of pen pressure going on in the right drawing.
Very nice!

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 11, 2020, 04:51:36 PM »
Thanks!
I'm glad that the difference is noticeable!

Anyways I hacked away at my magic gantt chart and added a feature for planning future projects. I threw a couple of random project ideas in for testing to see how it works and it's pretty good at planning out for the future I think, especially in terms of workload and seeing when a project will finish.
So Orange is projects that have not yet started.

This is useful for tentatively putting in projects that I think I might start next, like a shortlist of sorts.
Also scarily leaning into 2021 already @_@;
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:54:05 PM by suuper-san »

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: February 19, 2020, 10:26:55 AM »
Some "masterpiece" level finished sketches. Two more iterations until lineart. And they're already looking not bad.
Took an hour for just these 4. It's not masterpiece for no reason :P
And once again at this level there's not much difference between these and my normal ones that only take like 3 minutes. I think the bizarre difference is that there is a huge risk that the sketch will fail and come out bad with the normal method, but this improved method has a lot of mistake catching going on, so it's better at guaranteeing the quality.
So I can either:
-keep making lots of quick sketches and hope that some randomly turn out well
-spend time on each sketch and know that it will come out pretty good.

Also the before and after gif since there was quite a difference.

Spoiler

I've done lots of other stuff but I'm saving that for my monthly digest, since I'm still actually trying to be on here less.
I'm starting to find a new level of productivity even higher than my previous one. Like so super high it's a joke. But super exhausting I have to actually put in breaks and rests to not kill myself lol.

Also I'm still not sure what masterpiece is or what level it should be at. Because there has to be some limit somewhere, I think.

My open-canvas v2 workflow is not doing so badly either.

A last round of WIPs everywhere and I might have finally got rid of all my 2017 WIPs, and possibly most of the 2018 as well. Dropping the low quality ones really helps obviously.

Oh here's my take on regimes and projects:
(Content - usable sketches i.e. WIPs, but not like hands or cubes)

Regimes - primary purpose to increase understanding in a field. Does not necessarily produce content (i.e. 1000 hands, 1000 cubes)(can also be copies i.e. 1000 traced photos)
Projects - primary purpose to produce content (but learning is done anyway)(i.e 1000 character sketches, a one-shot manga etc)
Project regime - mixed purpose, still primarily to increase understanding, but also produces (varying quality) content as a byproduct (i.e. 1000 Animal sketches, 1000 thumbnails)

I think I lean towards a mix of regime and project, because after a solid bunch of learning you dont have much to show for it if it's just a page of hands or something, it stops there. but if you can use what you produced in your regime, as WIPs or inspiration, then it's a lot more useful. But not everything can fit into that category.

But I think I'll stop calling stuff like my 200 linearts regime a regime, because it isn't by my own definition. It's a project. I'm not entirely sure it's that either haha.

But it really doesnt matter what you call it :P

The actual definition of regime just means an ordered way of doing things, which is actually everything I do, which isn't helpful lol
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:50:50 PM by suuper-san »

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 22, 2020, 10:24:39 AM »
I'm sure there was a place for this but can't find it as always.
Anyways since the redecoration my computer desk has been a bit more organised and sensible for my art. And I've never posted it before. Actually that's a lie I did once before for when I made my manga.
Here's my workstation in its 2 configurations

General purpose

Art mode

(actually there's a third setup where I point the screen towards my bed and watch anime like it's a TV haha)

I use a Cintiq 22HD Touch. The touch is very useful although I don't use it when I am drawing. I use an extra numpad keypad for my left hand to access more hot keys while I am working. With the top 2 cintiq keys set to shift and control, I can actually trigger up to about 50-60 shortcuts (using ctrl-0 etc), which is more than I currently use. I eventually want to be able to type with a physical keyboard in this configuration, I use an onscreen keyboard at the moment, which is why the touch is so handy.

It's on a movable arm which keeps it up with the other screen when not in use for drawing.
I have had this tablet for about 3 years now. I had apprehensions buying it at first because of the price (I could have bought a similar knockoff one off amazon for less but I wanted to go with a reputable company for my first buy (I don't trust amazon haha)), but I thought to myself, if you don't spend money what are you even saving up for?

The blue glove is a 2 finger artists glove. very useful and I use them for traditional sometimes as well. stops me sticking to my paper or the screen.

I very much like drawing on the screen because it feels a lot more normal, like you're really drawing on paper. The only downside is that your hand blocks out the portion of the screen it's leaning on (as opposed to a normal tablet with which you are not touching the screen)

There are a whole bunch of parallax issues no matter what everyone says (i.e. calibration so you're not drawing 1mm away from where you think you're drawing), but that's unavoidable if you shift your posture and viewing angle and hand angle. But you do get used to it, and sometimes I dont even notice when I'm about 5mm offset for normal sketching. For maximum precision, I have to take the same posture that I used when I calibrated the screen, and then it's 0mm error. I haven't calibrated in over a year. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The only thing I would change about my setup is that I would like a third screen, so my art screen can stay in the down position permanently, and have a dual screen normal setup. It's not an effort to move it, but having it instantly ready would be a lifesaver for those sluggish days. And it would probably help with calibration if the screen was always at the same angle as I left it the day before. I think I need a bigger desk or a different setup to fit it on though, so that's probably a year or more down the line.

The hot keys are fantastic altough I would prefer them to be all on the left hand side, hence my own bodge setup to increase the button count.

Edit
which reminds me, drawing anime themed backgrounds was another project that I never picked up because I couldn't draw as well as I wanted. I could probably have a decent bash at that now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:18:17 AM by suuper-san »

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 28, 2020, 02:40:41 AM »
Finally finished a batch of masterpiece coloured sketches. Averaged over an hour for each one.
Basically working out of my depth for the most part, and a lot of guesswork was going on. I'm hoping as I study body and clothing shade that this level will jump in quality soon. Also for a lot of things it was my first time working at that high a level, such as the eye rendering. Also my workflow was a bit unsure as I was doing more iterations of shade and I got lost a couple of times as to what I was meant to be doing.
Overall highish quality but not my best. Also the linearts are older so they are not my best either. I was partly limited by that. I think the colors are a little off as well for the skin, if not other stuff as well.
Glad to finally be working on finished pieces again.

Click to enlarge

For comparison see this post which I think is the last time I tried to colour something.
http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,4319.msg299865.html#msg299865
Oh hey almost exactly 1 year ago. Huh.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:34:38 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 28, 2020, 01:27:52 PM »
Damn you weren't kidding about masterpiece level suuper. These are freaking amazing! My woooord that last one ends me hahahaha. I bow and step off the board haha. You're on that level of art I wish I could reach dude. Serious props!

(Also kawaii as heck)

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 28, 2020, 03:37:39 PM »
Thanks!!
The iteration stuff I've been doing lately really taught me that you can just keep going over and over and adding more detail and keep sharpening up until you hit the wall of not having enough knowledge to add more detail. And then the studies you do make more sense to you because you're looking for that extra detail and learning new things. So these images are my current limit.
I'm doing a little of my masterpieces every day at different levels, either cleaning or finishing or inking etc. So it keeps me sharp as to what my top skill is and I'm always trying to figure out how to make it better beyond my maximum. Working in your comfort zone is not good for that sort of growth at all I dont think. At least not as fast.
I'm going to be studying more artists whose work I like, not styles, although yes, but more artists who put tons of detail into their work. I need to get it into my head what's actually possible.

Too much ambition, too little time.

I just started drawing random manga pages. Too embarrassing to post them but I think I've got a method to work with manga pages as WIPs. We'll see. After a while I'll start posting, but it's not great haha. I think it's the speech that makes me nervous, like they don't seem real. Probably a million things. small beginnings. I keep changing the workflow and templates that I'm using and it really upsets the flow, but that's settling down perhaps :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:09:39 PM by suuper-san »

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 29, 2020, 02:28:39 PM »
Anyways monthly report. kinda fed up of doing sorting out monthly these days, it seems to only be for statistics and I don't even think I care about those statistics anyway. we'll see. I have adjusted my recording to allow for less physical work and my programs work behinds the scenes, but really I should be focusing forwards. There's very few statistics that need to be updated monthly, and they can be done at any time. Might be worth coding up something to deal with it for me.
Especially as I am doing different pages at all sorts of different levels, I want to be able to work out average times for each sketch style or stage. Thats was OK when it was only 4 stages but I'm close to 10-20 different styles or stages and it's just a pain now. And I forget what statistics I'm even meant to be generating haha

Anyways here's a graph. Not my best month this year but better than any in the previous year bar last Feb. So even though I'm not meeting my targets I'm performing well above my previous averages.
70 hours drawn this month. Not including Aggie or traditional.

Working daily has been the biggest contributor to my latest boost to productivity. It's helped to get over bumps of not wanting to do stuff, and I've just plain got on with it because it's my daily routine. There's been plenty of days when the routine hasn't gone as I've wanted, but it's becoming more and more stable. Even when I haven't done what I planned, I've done something. So averaging over 2 hours a day isn't to be sniffed at.

My lineart goal is 137/200. I'm not sure if I want to get to 200, but the quality is coming out nicely. Actually I've been feeling really bad about almost all of the linearts I've produced and looking back as I sort through them, they are all pretty nice quality. So either I'm tired atm and I can't see the faults, or I'm just pessimistic when I'm drawing.

My body shade study goal is at 60/1000. I'm doing 8 studies a day instead of 6 now (adjusted my grid haha)
So far it's hard to get a workflow that's consistent, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, depending on the specific way I need to shade the area. So I'm not as fast as I would like. It's taking about 4-5 minutes per study. I'm copying them quite well but I don't seem to remember any of it yet. When I zoom out the studies almost look realistic which I'm quite proud of.

The Inked hands regime is at 200/500. For some reason it's gone slower than I expected, so I must have missed quite a lot of days when I first started it up. At the moment I'm doing 10 a day consistently.

Requests are going slow because I'm way too serious about them, but at least when I finally do them I hope the quality is that much higher because of the effort. Next time I need to crank the quality wayyyy down haha.

The highlight of this month was probably my masterpiece coloured pieces. It's the best work I've done in ages, and it's finished work - not a WIP anymore!!!! makes a change.
And I can see where I need to improve so it'll get even better I hope.
Actually dealing with generating statistics for the masterpiece levels was what pushed me near the edge for giving up on statistics. Because it doubled my workload instantly. But I might have a way around that which I just thought of. And it doesn't even need to be done monthly - it can be done whenever. Oh and that's just triggered another idea that's even better. OK I can do this!!!

Picking a random canvas to work a little on is great when I'm tired. The main hurdle to getting projects done is that I never feel up to the task. If I'm having a bad day, I think I'm going to ruin everything, and if I'm having a good day, I want to spend my energies on some new project or idea. So either way it's a bit of an annoyance. But the random picker seems to help when I'm getting tired and can't choose. having too many projects might be the cause of my indecision to begin with, but at least I've got a way around it.

I'm working on a new drawing position with my screens that gives me access to my keyboard. I have to swivel my body so I'm not sure if it's great for my posture, but for typing sentences for manga I think it's wayyy faster and neater than handwriting - I can actually read it for starters, even with insane typos. we'll see.

anyways I don't really feel like posting any art, I do my daily sketch every day anyway. if I finish my inking project you'll see all of them so stay tuned.

the daily sketch has been a rollercoaster of ideas. I don't want to do them coloured anymore because if they are going into WIPs then I have to recolour them again at some point so it's a waste of time.

as always I've got tons of projects I want to do but skill-crunching is taking about 75% of my time so I can't progress much, but long term it's for the best.

I'm gonna try and get a bit more art in before the day ends.

oh here's how my averages compare for normal WIPs vs masterpiece WIPs
Mostly a masterpiece takes 3 times as long as a standard WIP of the same level.
The concepts are the same time because I didn't have my method together until the end.
I'm not liking this trend of time=quality

and good news I tried out the new statistics processing method I just thought of and so far it works a treat. So I can leave more statistics generation to automated stuff. In fact it worked so well I almost want to kick myself for not doing it sooner. The one trouble with being able to do tedious and long work is sometimes you don't realise that it can be made easier, because you dont view work as a negative factor. They were right when they said if you want an easier way to do something, give it to a lazy person to do. They'll pick the route of least resistance. I just go straight through mountains lol.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:15:59 PM by suuper-san »

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: March 04, 2020, 02:05:14 AM »
149/200 Inked WIPs
I've decied to do 200 definitely now.
Also, playing with inking styles. I think I've found a couple of styles I like, let me know what's your favourite style!

#1 Neat even lines, but relatively low accuracy

#2 All sketchy lines, relatively low accuracy

#3 All sketchy lines, relatively high accuracy

#4 Sketchy lines with thick lines on major borders, relatively high accuracy

All of these styles take almost the same time to do which is nice because it means I can pick the one I like and not worry that it takes longer or something like that.
But do let me know what you all think, feedback would be appreciated.

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: March 04, 2020, 02:58:15 PM »
My favourite is #4 because of its heavy inked look, followed by #1. You could easily make a tidy looking manga or larger finished pieces with those line qualities c: (Also I'm a fan of thicker lines)

#2-#3 remind me of artists that do those quick sketches and base colour them and they look quite presentable!

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: March 04, 2020, 04:07:14 PM »
haha I figured you would like #4 lol
I think if I do #4 I will probably make the outline not quite as strong, otherwise it really does give off a cartoon vibe.
Yeah I'm looking for the style for my manga pages now, finally. By the time I decide on it I might have an actually story to ink haha

#1 is my least favourite because it's hard to be neat without being slow, so it's an annoying quality. I could zoom in more, but then it would match my masterpiece style and would take forever to ink :P

finding a balance between sketchiness and neatness is a pain. and then drawing at the same level every day despite feeling different moods when you are working is the biggest worry @_@

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: March 05, 2020, 09:40:37 AM »
For me its 4 followed by 3 for some reason. The guys shoes just really pop out to me and it makes me think about those high-quality seinen manga with lots of 3d resources and references. They end up looking 'stale' but its top spec stuff ala Death Note.

As for the time = quality thing I hear you man haha. Sucks but it's true.

Also how many manga pages have you done? Would definitely love to see whatever you come up with when ready.

And those statistics indeed speak for themselves. Darnit I want to start recording myself too haha.

How are you doing the body shade regimen?

A billion questions I know. All in all keep it up dude!