October 20, 2019, 05:31:08 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)  (Read 85544 times)

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #1350 on: August 29, 2019, 10:46:03 AM »
thanks! I like the ones with the lips too!
glad you like the wood texture, I'm working to get it even better :P

Edit: I don't think I'll be doing any art for the rest of the month so here's a slideshow of the cleaned sketches I have done this month. All together it seems rather impressive because they are all nearly finished and have a lot of detail and accuracy in them. If things went smoothly then I would have finished my cleaning regime and would be on to inking, but that'll be next month now.
118 sketches!
(I also discovered that my image joining program can be used to pad images with white space to a desired size)

(click to enlarge)

I'll be posting them all properly once my regime has finished.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:16:39 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline danielsega

• View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 30, 2019, 01:17:40 AM »

Edit: I don't think I'll be doing any art for the rest of the month ...

lol, There is only one day left for this month. What are those additions next to the drawings?

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 30, 2019, 04:17:09 AM »
haha well a lot can be done in one day :P

the numbers are the minutes I have spent drawing each picture so far, on each stage (sketch, inking etc), so adding them up will total the time I have spent drawing that image. When I work on an image and do another layer of work, I put another time in the list. It's just my OCD :P
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: August 30, 2019, 06:09:21 PM »
Damn suuper you've just been at it as usual. The clothing is making the great poses so much better. You've really got a knack for that now along with everything else. Great work especially considering the circumstances this month.

There is something seriously satisfying about seeing all the images like that in this gif. Is the software downloadeable? I see myself using it for a sort of year retrospective or something.

Respect to the nth degree man. So amazing.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 30, 2019, 06:36:02 PM »
my Nan's funeral was today, it went well. We're completely emotionally, mentally and physically exhausted. we overestimated refreshments by about 1/3 so it's sandwiches, quiche and cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next few days XD

@lego thanks :P
I find just focusing in one area at a time for a relatively long time period really helps in pinning down mistakes and improving my workflow. The 1000x regimes help in this regard, partly just by giving it a name it feels more tangible I think (chuunibyou much?). Although it was basically pointless, the RPG artist level thing I made helped me to focus on what the different aspects of art actually were, and think how to quantify it.

Really looking at my skill and the things I have done to improve so far, I see that for me the path to gaining awesome art is simply doing lots of studies and lots of drawing. It's really that simple. but LOTS.

It is incredibly satisfying, I also had the idea to use it for a year progression slideshow. great minds think alike huh?
I used an online gif converter, https://ezgif.com/maker
very nice features and free to boot. only annoyance is you have to upload any images you want to work with (obviously), which is painful for my slow internet :P
Can you imagine how long the Gif would be if I used a year's worth of sketches haha

Oh that reminds me, I did something kinda useful although not yet finished, I made a to-do list program that can (when finished) sort items by topics/tags/genre etc as I have so many to-do lists on random notepad files and word documents strewn over my computer and I wanted something better to organise everything.
This is related to my topic on organizing your story/world design to keep things in the same place, but It actually started off as a different project idea, as a to-do list organiser, but I realised in designing it that it has a lot of elements that might be useful in organizing a story/world/characters

still loads to do to get it actually working but here's what it looks like so far in its infancy:
the icons are my own mspaint handiwork XD
it's basically a really complicated notepad lol

literally my solution to any problem is to program something haha
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:31:10 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 01, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »
My condolences Suuper, but I'm glad you've gotten through the hardest part now.

Yeah, post funeral food is always a strange thing. I swear I'm putting it in my will that people are just going to throw a pizza party in my honor.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 01, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »
thanks Coryn, yeah up to the funeral there's plans to be made and all sorts of stuff to prepare, and that's needlessly stressful. I'm so glad it's over.
I had a similar sort of thought to be honest. At nearly 30 I don't really plan on dying any time soon but it certainly makes you think about what you want for your own funeral.

I start my new 2-day job tomorrow. A little nervous but excited.
First days are just training so no kids until Wednesday when I don't work, but then the trouble starts next week. I hate training and inset days though to be honest it's the worst part of the job for me. But a lot of it is there to protect the children -  health and safety, first-aid training etc so it's important.

I'll probably be busy with all sorts of stuff so don't be surprised if I'm not around for a while. I probably wont even be drawing this week.
It goes to show how used to drawing regularly I have become when 1 week of no drawing feels like a huge intolerable gap. How on earth did I manage to go months without putting pen on paper is a mystery to me, like how did I think I was serious about art I don't know XD
See that's another thing that doesn't really get mentioned much by experienced artists giving advice to newer artists - often it's practical drawing advice and how-tos, but having the correct mindset/habits is significantly important, perhaps even more important, he says, pondering.

EDIT: I meant I wouldn't be doing serious drawing or heavy pieces haha. I'm not sure if I meant it at the time though, but small pieces and sketches I can fit in with minimal stress or effort. it's the high accuracy pieces that are the killer.

here's a "secret" technique of mine, I don't like using other artists as inspiration as I like to be completely self contained and feel that "everything is mine", so I tried this a while back and finally worked out the kinks.
I used my already-used WIPs as inspiration themselves, so using myself as inspiration. I plan to sort through the drawings to make sure only my actually good/unique/non-bland drawings are used but here's what a self referenced page looks like:

At least in this test, the new sketches all seem a lot more dynamic than the old ones. I'm thinking that's a good thing.

I'm not sure if I want to do a cleaning layer over the sketches immediately to get them readable, or leave them as thumbnail-ish sketches and put them into my WIP pile to fix later. It feels like I am just brimming with ideas constantly so I feel it almost doesn't matter, but then one day I might be feeling low on ideas and inspiration and would much rather I had included the details when I felt that I could have done it justice. hmmmmmm.

Not sure if/how I want to record the sketch that was used as reference or include it in the exported image either. meh.

How it works is I use my image joining program to make a little thumbnail that's padded with loads of space. It's amazing how many useful side effects my program has had like this that wasn't in the original idea but I have thought of later and it's been able to handle it. normally/always I have to recode to add features but this one just keeps giving XD

And the trouble is my style and quality keeps changing (improving??? XD) so any methods that I am using or have lined up I have to keep adapting to deal with the new style or quality. I blame my last 1000 WIP-finishing regime for that, and I hope that I can settle into a balanced level of work at some point. Regardless, I feel like I have a load of momentum so that's nice.

With regard to sketching methods like this, I literally have no many ideas and stuff I want to try out it's insane. I have to write it all down just to remember it.

@lego this is the method I plan to use when I make sketches referenced off your 1000 character regime, by the way XD (didn't I just say I didn't like referencing other artists????? MR family doesn't count!!!!)

gotta stop talking :P
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:08:02 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 01, 2019, 11:24:59 PM »
I swear I'm putting it in my will that people are just going to throw a pizza party in my honor.

I know some guy who threw a smoked salmon pizza after cremation.

Facebook       Patreon

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 02, 2019, 12:16:30 AM »
Good luck with your job suuper!

Totally get the feeling of wanting to keep your art original to yourself.
The new sketches do look like they have more in the poses. I like the use of more varied angles.

Btw, the cleaned sketches slideshow is so satisfying to look at XD Looking forward to seeing more in the future!
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/star-lock

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 02, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
@suuper: the problem that arrises from prosperity is often overlooked. But you're definitely right. Keeping to a schedule and forming an actual, ingrained habit is the best thing any of us can do to improve. It doesn't matter how larger your leaps are. If you're putting in the work, you will get better. It's the same with scientific innovation. Everyone just wants a space ship. Nobody wants to learn about the ten million steps that have to come before.

@walter: Ooh! That gives me an idea for an open air funeral pyre/BBQ funeral. Although right now I'm still riding the 'put me under a tree' train. Much nicer memorial than just a hunk of granite if you ask me.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 06, 2019, 12:04:10 PM »
@echo thanks! I'm trying to only be inspired by my old sketches, and not try and draw new versions of them instead, which is surprisingly difficult. And no doublt I will be producing more sketches haha , I really should get round to finishing some off :P

@coryn yeah to be honest it's all the non-art related skills that have helped me the most to reach my goal, like as you say scheduling and focusing. I wish I realized how much I wasn't doing that earlier when I had more free time at school that could have been used significantly better.
I also can't say I fancy a graveyard plot (-_-;)

did another set of self-inspired sketches. I'm also (temporarily) annoyed at how my sketches are becoming more diverse, and consequently, more difficult to finish :P My ambition is getting a bit ahead of my skill, but I'm going to let it run untempered because that's better than no ideas at all.

I'm near to the point at which I'm going to pick a sort of a style, but not before I finish off those year-old requests (sorry!!!) and do some linearts and coloured pieces to boost my base skill. So maybe 3-4 months? haha unlikely XD

Edit:313/365 cleaned sketches. skill all over the place, confused as always.
have a shounen for a change :P
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:29:21 PM by suuper-san »

Offline rusinstein

• View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 13, 2019, 06:13:23 AM »
thanks! I like the ones with the lips too!
glad you like the wood texture, I'm working to get it even better :P

Edit: I don't think I'll be doing any art for the rest of the month so here's a slideshow of the cleaned sketches I have done this month. All together it seems rather impressive because they are all nearly finished and have a lot of detail and accuracy in them. If things went smoothly then I would have finished my cleaning regime and would be on to inking, but that'll be next month now.
118 sketches!
(I also discovered that my image joining program can be used to pad images with white space to a desired size)

(click to enlarge)

I'll be posting them all properly once my regime has finished.

love the variety of poses and ideas there! and damn, 118 sketches? I need to up my game. I can barely make 10. xD

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 13, 2019, 08:02:31 AM »
haha thanks :) I'm trying to improve the range of my ideas but I keep getting stuck in ruts XD
Well at least all your drawings are finished!!
The best method that works for me is working in bulk, so I have multiple images per page that I improve by one iteration, and then cut them all out into individual drawings again. So in a single page, I often work on 10-20 sketches. It's great for productivity, but I only spend a short amount of time on each piece :P
It probably doesn't work for everyone, but it certainly works for me :P
like so:
Spoiler
the rough sketches before:

the improved sketches after:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:07:32 AM by suuper-san »

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 14, 2019, 12:31:53 PM »
I finally tidied up my room after a year of being lazy haha

I also had a break from my normal drawing routine and did some colouring.
About 1/3 of my cleaned sketches are virtually linearts, so I'm sketchily colouring them for practice and to develop a sketchy style as well.

obviously, I worked in bulk haha
took 90 minutes to blitz through them, I probably spent a bit too much time to be honest, considering the quality of the original sketches - I was probably a bit too zoomed in and worked at a bit too high quality. Also not being sure of the layers I was using slowed me down a little.
Fairly happy considering I haven't got a clue as far as shading goes.

my favourite. it was the first in the set so I probably spent more on this one as I was getting used to what I was doing, and then did it quickly on the rest :P

the rest:
Spoiler

I've got about 250 sketches so far in my to-colour-sketchily folder, and about 1/4 are from older sketches. I finally know what to do with those sketches, as I was wondering what on earth I was going to do with them, since after being inked they will get coloured properly, so it's strange to do it twice, no? but it's practice and a different style so it's ok. one practical use of this style is for commission work - providing the client with a possible rendering without spending hours on it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 12:54:10 PM by suuper-san »

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 16, 2019, 04:26:22 PM »
did another set of coloured sketches, only 4 this time, which took 50 minutes. A bit faster than the last set, per image, but still wayyyy too long for my liking XD
I think they went a bit better than the previous set, but again I think I was focused way too hard and added too much quality for this stage. Basically I have to compromise somewhere on the quality, but subconsciously, I suppose I don't want to haha

You may notice the bottom right was my MR mascot entry, I think? By the way, what happened to that contest?

edit: I knew I was forgetting something, I forgot to add blushes on the faces haha