September 23, 2019, 05:49:44 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)  (Read 83082 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #1215 on: March 14, 2019, 05:47:53 AM »
Hahah you're hacking your day to get more time? Noice! I'm trying to readjust my waking up clock but that ish isn't working well. At least I'm managing to open my eyes before noon.

Social media is a bane. Social media is a pain. The thing is a roomate of mine has suddenly started making some awesome lettering art and I asked him... One year seeing videos on YouTube and he's gotten so far. It's crazy how simply looking something up and doing it regularly can get you a long way.

Also you and Mahlua totally with you on researhing stuff like that. Cheers on the studies, and loooking forward to your leap into pro arthood hehe

@Mahlua I have so many books on architecture and one juicy one on Japanese history with great images I could reference and the like.

My next regimen is going to take a minute after I'm done with this one. It'll be more of a 'rule' than a regimen. I want to use references for absolutely every image I do to nudge my art more in line with proportion sama and to fill up my passive visual library.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 14, 2019, 01:55:30 PM »
going to sleep earlier helps with waking up early obviously. I find that better as I can wake up earlier if I wasn't as tired, and get up if I feel like it, but I can't go to sleep late and have a good morning. It's good to get the right amount of sleep as it contributes to a good mood which leads to better productivity. As well as giving your body and mind the time to rest and process stuff you've learnt.

true, but there's a definite difference between random "hey this breakdancing penguin is fun I'll repost it" Youtube videos to actual instructional videos for the point of learning skills. I do occasionally watch the old art video and learn stuff although it's not the way I want to learn XD

also, cool roommate.

that's a great idea for a regimen/rule. I should probably do that although I like to be completely original with my drawings and study separately to my original drawings.
me and visual libraries aren't getting along lately >_<

also my DA is going well. slow, but well. Getting my old WIPs cleared up is taking a priority on my gaining a fanbase, but posting once a day is still really a nice idea to me.
My latest piece, a Megumin piece I posted here a few weeks ago but on DA yesterday has become the most commented and most favourited piece I have posted yet. Also the first piece to have been downloaded ever I think.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:16:19 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 14, 2019, 02:33:22 PM »
Damn that seems like it'll do wonders for you down the line. Also you're getting a lot of fresh commentary on your deviations now hehe. Good stuff. How is YouTube treating you?

And I know the feel. My goal shall always be personal drawings - I really don't ever want to crutch on references and I like the freedom of feeling out a character on a page rather than constantly referencing, but I want to try it out and see if it helps me out.

Come to think of it you have a tonne of references in your visual library iirc haha. A program even.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 14, 2019, 07:24:49 PM »
Youtube is mostly deadly quiet, although thats because i am also deadly quiet. Although i was initially planning 1 video a month it doesnt look like it will start until I clear my old WIPs as thats taking up worry space in my head now. I cant spread myself too thinly over different bases until i put the past wips behind me as thats a spanner in refining my processes, but its a one time problem i hope.

Oh referencing will totally help no doubt about it. In fact although i just said i'm avoiding it i recently starting looking for any good copies in my old work that i could practice inking or colouring with. Because a good base will only result in a better final outcome. The ultimate form of referencing, tracing, proves this easily. But as we both realise, its thanks to whoever made the reference that we were able to produce that piece. If its your own reference ie. pose photos i wonder how that feels. Youre basically giving yourself the ability to produce better art? I need more sleep on that one. I still like 100% original i think haha

Well my gesture program is just a glorified random/timed image viewer with tagged folders, i still need photo references to use it and to copy stuff or do gestures. So theres not much actually in my head or of my own creation, is what i mean. And things such as patterns, you might know a bunch of patterns but you dont even think to use them or even how/where to use them (that thought alone is giving me new ideas like using a pattern in a simple background for a character sketch, or using a pattern on a car or building. These are all brand new thoughts that i just had. How many more different things than patterns are there that could equally result in a surge of brand new ideas???) . That sort of lack of creativity issue bothers me way more than not knowing enough types of patterns or household items or clothing or something. And i only just realised it. Wow the road is long.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:34:47 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 15, 2019, 05:25:30 PM »
some more wips. also talking of animation I'm seriously this close > < to writing my own animation program. trying hard to not to timewise but it's seriously tempting to design something thats perfect for my needs. It's just so fun to do rather than using someone elses programs and you have a proper "I did this" feeling at the end.

Spoiler

so I checked and apparently I have 1164 old WIPs remaining. welp.
based on 200 finished sketches I take on average 3.4 minutes to "finish" a sketch. so thats over 65 hours of work. Given my average of just over an hour a day drawing that's 2 months work right there. might have to up my game yet again and streamline even more. gonna hibernate. see you when it's over.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:38:50 PM by suuper-san »

Offline OviumNoir

• Power comes in response to a need, not a desire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 18, 2019, 09:39:35 AM »
Your skills are growing and your characters definitely become nicer to look at over time. One thing I could suggest is to do more "masterpiece" work. Drawings that you spend a large amount of time on. The fear of days of work going to waist because say for instance, on the 3rd day, you realized the eyes weren't symmetrical, will pressure you to setup your artwork more efficiently to make those kinds of errors impossible.

That's a very good point, if one stays in practice (safe) mode one isn't obliged to stay sharp as the topic of study is what is prioritised; but finished pieces forces you to reconcile all of what you've learned (and to a presentable standard).

That said he's come a long way and we are starting to see the fruits of his labour - for me in particular as I'm here sporadically it's nice to see where he's at now vs a month/2 months ago. :dance:

When you TALK, you are only repeating what you already know - but if you LISTEN, you may learn something new.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 19, 2019, 11:41:34 AM »
well as I have been growing in my art I've noticed many different areas that need work, and so for me personally I think it's best to heavily attack each skill in turn. But yes that does mean that I don't always produce many finished pieces or pieces of high quality. It's almost like I think "what's the point, by the time I study XYZ next, I will be able produce a better piece, so I won't waste my time producing a masterpiece level now". But every time I roll onto studying the next skill I always think the same thing lol. Definitely have to get a couple of masterpieces done here and there for sure.
I am certainly at a different stage in my art/learning than I was a year ago, I can focus a lot better and I am aware of the many areas that I need to improve. What has been a big improvement in the last few months is my mindset and workflow, and learning to accept my current level but still see where I need to improve and not be depressed by how far off I am from my ideal skill.

I sort of feel a lot of my efforts are invested in the very long term, such as having a high output and working to a high speed, and still drawing when "I don't feel like it" or "I'm not at my best today" .So my visual art skill itself hasn't improved so much but the invisible aspects have been improving I think :)

(1082 WIPs remaining)
PS this is what I am actually doing when I say finishing WIPs. It's not impressive but it's a step before "cleaning" and totally necessary for my older drawings with bad proportions. Ideally I would have finished my sketches years ago, as I drew them, but I didn't really get how to move past the sketch phase until recently. So this entire thing is just me doing a favor for my past self.
My second chibi style is also taking shape. (3,1) and (2,3)
Click to enlarge although they're still pretty tiny.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:54:11 PM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 22, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
Dude the improvement is palpable. And I like that chibi quite a bit! It maintains its kawaii form but somehow gets a lot of dimensionality between the old version and the clean up. Always amazing and inspiring stuff to see dude

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 22, 2019, 05:55:29 PM »
thanks!
I'm working with all sorts of proportions at the moment to see what works for me. All very normal stuff though, nothing outrageously different.

(991 WIPs remaining)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:57:00 PM by suuper-san »

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 24, 2019, 09:09:12 AM »
It's really interesting seeing the differences in our methods, from what I'm reading I feel like I'm taking almost the opposite approach you are.

I try to push hard on each individual piece I do so my volume is low (hopefully compensated by quality but who knows?). I try to do a lot in each piece that I work on, sometimes more than I can handle but it always pays dividends to fail earlier and address my weaknesses all together. at once in each subsequent piece. At least it does for me haha.

The down side to this is that trying to be a perfectionist is actually insanely counter-intuitive. You stress over minor things that don't pay off much in the long run and end up wasting lots of time.

The plus side is, I've learned to accept failure. By attempting to reach as close to the best of my capabilities as I can now, I can fail earlier and look back at my work and see the weaknesses and shortcomings, then address them appropriately.

I see the merits of your method too and I think there's some cross pollination that can happen here. Recently I've tried focusing on particular things like incorporating detailed hands or gestures in my works but still attempting to do a complete work (one of the things I struggle with when doing individual studies is it's always hard to fit it back into the composition as a whole if I don't have the entire composition as context). In sort of a watered down version of your training regimens, I'll do 4 or 5 sketches specifically intended to include hands and by focusing on particular elements, I've started to notice more how each affects the whole.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling just an interesting observation I suppose! Your work shows steady improvement as always though I find it hard to comment on chibi work since I'm not too familiar with it. Regardless, I think you're making great progress!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 24, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
thanks for your comment. far from it, hearing other peoples rambling helps me to refine my methods and to get inside other artist's minds. from what I have observed over the years, I am convinced that there are many different methods, some which are practically the opposite of others, but all will work in improving your skill.

I am trying to avoid my perfectionist streak because I really don't want the stress of trying to get things perfect or bothering with super fine details. that has it's place but not for me at the moment.

partly the reason I focus on bulk and speed is because I always have producing a manga as one of my end goals. focusing on one level of composition at a time ie sketch vs lineart vs colouring etc also helps me to refine my processes and learn how much detail I should put in each stage and how perfect each level has to be (eg. refining details too early wastes time as I will redraw those details again on the oversketch and lineart, but refining too late and I need an extra layer before I can ink it properly). It also means I can split my work into "creative but inaccurate sessions" and "accurate but uncreative sessions" so I can fully use my ability for each section without getting overloaded by lots of different thoughts and processes. Hopefully as I gain more skills and experience I won't have to do this as much as it will become more natural.

it is often difficult to work studies alongside full compositions, but it helps in learning different construction methods. for example, drawing hands in a prayer position or steeled finger pose, I draw one hand normally from the wrist, but the second hand I draw from the first hands fingertips back towards the wrist. So I end up learning two different methods of construction. Later drawings may require that you use one or the other.

I do want to try and do a high level perfectionist piece, but my bulk mentality is heavily ingrained and it's hard to get out of it haha.

(934 WIPs remaining)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:05:04 PM by suuper-san »

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 30, 2019, 01:00:34 PM »
Well it's been a super slow week for me. only done one page of art and not done anything else sensible really. Wondering if I was just trying too hard with my art and burned out in a strange apathetic way, or it's something else random, but I don't really feel like doing anything. Although I'm on my longest streak of drawing in 2 years so even if I stop for a week it doesn't matter so much?
I have a new Rubik's cube solving record of 51 seconds.

have an art
860 WIPs remaining

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 30, 2019, 04:23:23 PM »
'Bulk mentality' Haha. I wish I had that curse. As for perfectionist piece I thought you could already do as much with your 3d things.

On that forward-back back-forward construction method: Tis is very interesting and important, because it's what I noted in that random video I posted: Artists who have that stuff figured out can make a human figure from their big toe as far as I'm concerned. They understand how something is built up so are comfortable with starting from any position. Really a holy grail.

Hoping you're just slowing down and not burning out, because now I'll be 100% convinced that when I'm in the mood to draw you are cursed to lose the drive, and vice-versa haha.

Love her sweater, and megane is kawaii. Megane is life.

Good stuff

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 30, 2019, 04:33:59 PM »
pretty sure you've got as high a bulk as I've seen other than myself haha. I mean it takes a certain bulk mentality to say "I'm going to draw 1000 of this thing".

well 3d software helps in things looking nicely perspective but it's not necessarily well designed/balanced/detailed enough. as far as a perfectionist art piece is concerned I haven't done one of those for ages, even when I say I have done it I'm still slacking on the level of perfectionism because of my speed mentality.

I definitely don't feel burnt out, I just don't feel art inclined, maybe it's just my lazy streak rearing it's head. Hopefully I'll pick up with the new week.
haha yeah that would be annoying if we were inversely motivated.

oh forgot to mention I just passed 100 DeviantArt uploads. Since I'm uploading mostly linearts (which I can churn out) it doesn't really mean anything but it's good to see a bunch of content making it's way into the public eye. watch this space. fortunately I have about 15 good artworks left so I can still upload one a day even when I haven't had a good art week.
that's kinda my idea now, even with videos - produce whenever I feel like it, but release on a set schedule. and always have a slower release rate than your production rate, so you never feel stressed about doing the next thing, and you can also pick and chose the highest quality of your stuff.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:57:39 PM by suuper-san »

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 31, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
starting to warm up again did 30 or so WIPs

My main motivation was something along the lines of "Like hell I'll let myself be cursed by Lego" XD
(828 WIPs remaining)