February 21, 2019, 06:41:52 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)  (Read 65285 times)

Offline DCLegendia

• View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #1155 on: February 01, 2019, 06:33:36 PM »
Seems like you crank out A LOT of images which is what we all should be doing!!! Nice work about the consistency :)
I find that all the poses look great and there's no stiffness, it's easy to tell you're a natural and really comfortable with it no matter what the pose is  :clapping:

Offline suuper-san

• Proportions are just an illusion...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 03, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »
@DCLegendia thanks! well I certainly don't feel like a natural! I'm always pushing my abilities to reach the next level XD

latest faces from the last few days
754/1000
going to try and crank out a whole bunch to try and finish today, gotta get onto 1000 hands ASAP because they are getting stale (>_<)

Spoiler

and a copied page from manga
Spoiler
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other
Manga: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft
Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline The SlamJam

• Artist
  • Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 03, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »
your volume's really impressive, gj!
check me out on instaslam https://www.instagram.com/artslammer/

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 03, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »
Thanks SlamJam!

anywho I did these 125 in just over an hour. Starting to get some sort of sense of guidelines for basic face angles and almost finally getting the hang of drawing different ages' faces. might actually manage to finish today XD
879/1000

Spoiler

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 03, 2019, 07:24:53 PM »
woot finished. how I did 250 on the last day yet took 2 months in total bewilders me. lets call it progress shall we. also anyone else notice my head count per page creeping higher towards the end? me neither XD

I started 28th November so its taken just over 2 months. a bit longer than I would have liked but i was drawing other stuff in between so thats understandable.
final count 1023/1000

Spoiler

aaaaaaand the full set for you hardcore scrollers. may or may not be in order...
44 pages, 10 of which were on paper, the rest digital.

Spoiler

well i learnt a few things with this regime as well. possibly only applies to me or my thinking, but here's what i learnt.

• Even really distorted/stylised manga faces conform quite well to real face proportions, somehow. like what makes a balanced face isn't necessarily the size of the features but their location, and especially their location relative to each other. i guess thats what proportions are hmmmmm.
  • Once again after a few pages I changed the regime slightly - I realised that trying to draw expressions as well as figure out head shapes wasnt going to work, so i focused on the head shape more. later i can focus on expressions and not the head shape. which leads into a general study regime observation - trying to study more than one thing reduces the effectiveness of the study, and also requires more focus and effort as you are switching between the two trying to learn things. the whole reason school is split into subjects (and also into textbook chapters etc) is because its easier to learn information that is all in one category. so the smaller your focal point the easier it is to learn that one thing.
  • I found that doing gestures and copies of faces (real and manga) while doing the regime helped to boost my creativity and also allowed me to learn proportions from the photos which i was able to try and apply in my own original drawings.
  • When comparing features of two faces, each feature (ie nose mouth) of each face is somewhat similar,but its the subtle/small differences in each of these features that result in the variety of unique faces in the world. maybe thats why its difficult to draw the same character twice or draw fanart, because just a small difference in any of those features makes it look like a different person.
  • More generic again, but the sheer volume of 1000 really forces you to get that streamlining in your workflow going. also i noticed on a few faces that i tried it on, that it has become one step easier to draw without using any guidelines again. i was also able to picture the face i wanted to draw with more clarity, but it takes a lot of focus to imagine it to that degree. still an improvement to previous which is good.
  • I found my progress/improvement was best on days where i drew a lot, as you start to focus more and your short term memory fills up with useful observations and experiences. really kinda like language immersion, except art immersion. this is basically boiling down to "you have to draw a lot to get good"

I'm sure I learnt a lot more than that, but a lot was to do with my own art style and specific face proportions and stuff, I can't really put that into words and i doubt it would have any benefit to anyone if i did.

well 2 regimes under my belt now.
I'm definitely going for 1000 hands/arms now, as my characters often just have their hands by their sides, I don't give them much personality or expressiveness. also hands are one of my weakest points now so it wouldn't hurt to improve the proportions as well.
onwards and upwards.......
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:27:04 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Chau-chau!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 04, 2019, 11:40:37 PM »
Congratulations on completing another regime Suuper!
Felt that the heads certainly started looking more 'natural' down the pages, the rounded chins for example, and the proportions on the face. It's also helpful to see the presence of the forehead, something that gets overlooked sometimes in drawings.
A lot of good work put into here. Keep it up! c:
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.

DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 06, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
thanks!
yes I try to give them a forehead and work out how the anatomy works even for the chibi heads :)
its taken its time but the rounded chins has finally started to sink in :P

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 06, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »
some linearts

Spoiler

and my first page of hands.
gonna be doing studies alongside these otherwise I'm not going to improve proportions....XD
39/1000

Spoiler

might need to do less hands per page but larger and in more detail to make sure I'm learning all the details and proportions as well....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:48:20 PM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 07, 2019, 04:02:03 AM »
*Whistles* Damn  super those complete WIPs look kawaii as frick. Great stuff.

Also: OMEDETO on finishing your regimen! Scrolling makes the world go round!

I'll do a little point by point interrogation later, but I ve really gotta commend this one. The improvement is noticeable and I'm sure as heck it helped you streamline some stuff - I mean you've been doing this along with your WIP completing and other duties. I need to learn.

For now congrats dude. Onwards and upwards!

Hands can be fun. I think you'll enjoy them. Favourite is pen one and the bendy wrist on the bottom right of the page.

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 07, 2019, 10:21:55 AM »
That's some real work you put in there, and it's looking good. You're an example for us all (I should really try this).

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 08, 2019, 05:04:33 AM »
@fcollot thanks! it's definitely worth putting the effort into, you really do improve the more you do XD

@lego
thanks v much. I need to put a bit more focus into the lineart and coloured WIPs. it's relatively easy to oversketch an old WIP, but when it comes to inking or colouring i sort of "don't feel like doing it today", ever. really I want to have 30 linearts and 30 coloured pieces a month as a standard output, but yeah with the studies and regimes it's often swept under the carpet. I'm trying to build up the habit of drawing even when I don't feel like it.

streamlining definitely happened at some point, as well as I started to have a clearer image of the face I wanted to draw before I started sketching it. Normally I just let my pen roam free without any planning, and if it turns out good, it turns out good, but having a bit of a plan certainly helps reign in the random variables :P

Yup from my studies already I've noticed a lot of angles and poses that I have just never ever drawn, so I'm hoping to add some complexity/realness to my hand poses along with the accuracy. Also need to take more photos of my hands with more props as well XD

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 08, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »
have some linearts. took 45 minutes for each page of 6.
I now average >1 lineart/day for the year now XD

Spoiler

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:21:45 PM by suuper-san »

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 10, 2019, 02:36:24 AM »
tried a page of double the WIP count to see how it affects productivity. I drew about 10% faster, which goes to show bulk output is really my calling.
Also figured out why I'm avoiding coloured works so much, simply because it's working with less images. In an hour I can colour 4 linearts, or finish sketching 24 WIPs, so I naturally favour the sketching because there is more variety. Gotta get over that @_@ Or learn to colour even faster lol

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 11, 2019, 06:01:32 AM »
Good hustle Soup! Your output is impressive as always and browsing through the work that I've missed I can definitely tell you've made steady progress. Keep it up man, as soon as I get some time I might try my hand at some of these endurance studies!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 11, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »
@Dev thanks, and you should totally try it. it would be awesome to have another raider on the 1000x regimes. whats great is that regardless of your skill level, you do so much you can't help but improve XD

heres some coloured pieces I did a few days ago. most are the few old linearts from years ago that were just about worth colouring. also my inking speed for linearts increased by about 20% over 15 pieces by simply trying "to go faster"

also please tell me you recognise the top left character. my pride will hurt if you dont :P

Spoiler

edit: some sketches, from old head/face WIPs
took 56 minutes for the first page and 57 minutes for the second page. not the first time that my times have been the same or similar.

Spoiler

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:23:24 PM by suuper-san »