March 29, 2024, 09:01:09 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's Artworks & Illustrations  (Read 307693 times)

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
  • Beware! Danger of sarcasm!
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #1140 on: January 27, 2019, 06:11:30 AM »
fml you're all so dedicated, great stuff and great excersizes too! makes me wanna do those challenges too but I got no time to do it T^T

What do you mean by too serious about your work?
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 27, 2019, 06:03:50 PM »
@Gabryel thanks! it always feels like I dont have enough time! Serious in that I get scared to ruin a drawing so I leave it, rather than experimenting and learning from failures. Bit of perfectionism mixed in as well :P

anyway did another 150 faces
picked up 2 new sketching styles, one of which is twice as fast as my normal speed, at the cost of quality but for experimenting with faces its quite useful.
575/1000

Spoiler

Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
  • Beware! Danger of sarcasm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 28, 2019, 02:03:52 PM »
casually did another 150 faces lol...  How long does it take you to fill one page with the new sketching style?
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 28, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
haha ikr XD
as long as I can maintain focus my output in one area can be fantastic, but I start to get bored and go off onto other things :P
one page of normal faces was 17 minutes average (almost exactly the same for each page), quick sketching was 10 minutes (same for both pages I did in that style)
(although number of faces varies per page)

edit:
625/1000

Spoiler

and a page of copies.
Spoiler

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:48:48 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline MorganManga

• View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 29, 2019, 04:23:51 AM »
haha ikr XD
as long as I can maintain focus my output in one area can be fantastic, but I start to get bored and go off onto other things :P
one page of normal faces was 17 minutes average (almost exactly the same for each page), quick sketching was 10 minutes (same for both pages I did in that style)
(although number of faces varies per page)

edit:
625/1000

Spoiler

and a page of copies.
Spoiler

I've never seen someone draw 1,000 of anything as an exercise so I really admire your dedication. I thought drawing 250 boxes and 250 cylinders was a mission until I saw this.  I wish I had your speed. The quality is good too. It makes me want to practice even more! I noticed you don't draw many heads from behind, is that intentional? What is your process if you don't mind sharing?
I am learning to draw Manga, check out my art here!: https://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,19370.0.html

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 29, 2019, 08:07:15 AM »
drawing boxes and cylinders is just as important to be honest :P
until Legomaestro drew 1000 boxes I hadn't seen anyone draw 1000 of anything either XD

heads from behind dont have much face detail such as eyes/nose/mouth, so I don't draw them for practice very much. also since the silhouette is the same, all I have to draw is a normal front facing head, and trace different lines over it to get a back facing one!

hmmmmm my process huh. Really I just draw on auto pilot, and generally don't draw the exact same thing twice for variation, so I say:
-ok lets draw a face at 3/4 view
-now let's try one with larger eyes
-now let's try one looking downward slightly
-ok bored lets do a front facing head
-lets try a chibi style head
-etc

I often try and mimic art styles that I like, and so I vary between realistic and "manga" styles quite freely :P

edit:
more faces 680/1000
legitimately no idea what I am doing :P

Spoiler

Edit2:
Did some sketches. Did all the poses first then went back and added details for all of them.

Spoiler
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:57:06 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 30, 2019, 04:11:12 PM »
bit of a break from faces for some more wips. haven't got too many inked wips, which means I don't have many to colour either.
I also took the bold step of combining my traditional and digital wips into one set of folders, since I'm doing the exact same thing with them (completing on my PC), they don't need to be kept separate. saves me organizing 2 sets of identical folders which is nice.

Spoiler

also is it just me, or do you guys when you look at your artworks remember where you were and who you were talking to when you drew it? I remember where I was for like loads of all my finished artworks XD generally the higher the quality the drawing the more clearly I remember where I was lol
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:28:04 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 30, 2019, 11:00:47 PM »
I mean yeah, I could definitely tell you where I was when I finished all of my big stories. That kind of work just suddenly coming to an end really has an impact that lasts.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 01, 2019, 11:05:54 AM »
@coryn glad it's not just me then!

latest headshots that I added bodies to. I've taken to completely drawing a new layer when improving my drawings rather than drawing on the same layer as the previous one, as it's much more neater and I can see what I'm doing more clearly.
and once again I feel that I'm on the verge of a breakthrough :P

Spoiler

and it's a month into the new year already.
in January I improved 196 WIPs by one step and, combined with my new sketches, generated 216 new WIPs. So my overall WIP count has increased yet again @_@
Hopefully I'll get more coloured pieces done this month as I've got more linearts now.

edit with more

Spoiler

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:22:43 PM by suuper-san »

Offline DCLegendia

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 01, 2019, 06:33:36 PM »
Seems like you crank out A LOT of images which is what we all should be doing!!! Nice work about the consistency :)
I find that all the poses look great and there's no stiffness, it's easy to tell you're a natural and really comfortable with it no matter what the pose is  :clapping:

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 03, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »
@DCLegendia thanks! well I certainly don't feel like a natural! I'm always pushing my abilities to reach the next level XD

latest faces from the last few days
754/1000
going to try and crank out a whole bunch to try and finish today, gotta get onto 1000 hands ASAP because they are getting stale (>_<)

Spoiler

and a copied page from manga
Spoiler

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 03, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »
-removed-
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 01:22:30 AM by The SlamJam »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 03, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »
Thanks SlamJam!

anywho I did these 125 in just over an hour. Starting to get some sort of sense of guidelines for basic face angles and almost finally getting the hang of drawing different ages' faces. might actually manage to finish today XD
879/1000

Spoiler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 03, 2019, 07:24:53 PM »
woot finished. how I did 250 on the last day yet took 2 months in total bewilders me. lets call it progress shall we. also anyone else notice my head count per page creeping higher towards the end? me neither XD

I started 28th November so its taken just over 2 months. a bit longer than I would have liked but i was drawing other stuff in between so thats understandable.
final count 1023/1000

Spoiler

aaaaaaand the full set for you hardcore scrollers. may or may not be in order...
44 pages, 10 of which were on paper, the rest digital.

Spoiler

well i learnt a few things with this regime as well. possibly only applies to me or my thinking, but here's what i learnt.

• Even really distorted/stylised manga faces conform quite well to real face proportions, somehow. like what makes a balanced face isn't necessarily the size of the features but their location, and especially their location relative to each other. i guess thats what proportions are hmmmmm.
  • Once again after a few pages I changed the regime slightly - I realised that trying to draw expressions as well as figure out head shapes wasnt going to work, so i focused on the head shape more. later i can focus on expressions and not the head shape. which leads into a general study regime observation - trying to study more than one thing reduces the effectiveness of the study, and also requires more focus and effort as you are switching between the two trying to learn things. the whole reason school is split into subjects (and also into textbook chapters etc) is because its easier to learn information that is all in one category. so the smaller your focal point the easier it is to learn that one thing.
  • I found that doing gestures and copies of faces (real and manga) while doing the regime helped to boost my creativity and also allowed me to learn proportions from the photos which i was able to try and apply in my own original drawings.
  • When comparing features of two faces, each feature (ie nose mouth) of each face is somewhat similar,but its the subtle/small differences in each of these features that result in the variety of unique faces in the world. maybe thats why its difficult to draw the same character twice or draw fanart, because just a small difference in any of those features makes it look like a different person.
  • More generic again, but the sheer volume of 1000 really forces you to get that streamlining in your workflow going. also i noticed on a few faces that i tried it on, that it has become one step easier to draw without using any guidelines again. i was also able to picture the face i wanted to draw with more clarity, but it takes a lot of focus to imagine it to that degree. still an improvement to previous which is good.
  • I found my progress/improvement was best on days where i drew a lot, as you start to focus more and your short term memory fills up with useful observations and experiences. really kinda like language immersion, except art immersion. this is basically boiling down to "you have to draw a lot to get good"

I'm sure I learnt a lot more than that, but a lot was to do with my own art style and specific face proportions and stuff, I can't really put that into words and i doubt it would have any benefit to anyone if i did.

well 2 regimes under my belt now.
I'm definitely going for 1000 hands/arms now, as my characters often just have their hands by their sides, I don't give them much personality or expressiveness. also hands are one of my weakest points now so it wouldn't hurt to improve the proportions as well.
onwards and upwards.......
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:27:04 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 04, 2019, 11:40:37 PM »
Congratulations on completing another regime Suuper!
Felt that the heads certainly started looking more 'natural' down the pages, the rounded chins for example, and the proportions on the face. It's also helpful to see the presence of the forehead, something that gets overlooked sometimes in drawings.
A lot of good work put into here. Keep it up! c:
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler